test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thrown snowball during ice racing is "Griefing"

wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
someone just threw me few snowballs when there was no hostile snowmens when i am in Fast andf Furious ice racing, and snowball made me run slower and i almost failed.

i alway checked snowmen timers for giant snowman event.

i saw a wierd "heat-seeking" missile behavor snowball make some twists and turns, and i am unable to see who was responsible for that kind of griefing.

any other time and i dont mind few snowballs, but during racings which i am trying to earn for ship.

last year, i had some good running gap with npc challengers, but i noticed this year has got real close calls and very tight racing gap, and it made me little nervous and prone to slip up mistakes to get failed race.

i had some leftover Q's pics from last year, and i had 2 days missed during this festival, i almost lost a week due to broken water pipe flooding from next floor up in my apt, and i cant take anymore chances with failed races with timers and may have some unexpected missed days that i dont want to lose a race.
so far i had about 600 since this event.

what we need "cloaked-effect" while racing during non-snowmen timers only at ice races.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Theirs some greifers who throw snowballs at you while you try and do the pie eating contest. Messes up you moving between pies and thus lowers your rewards.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Didn't bother me one bit when it happened to me.

I just saw it as someone back there was just a sore loser. >:3
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    um which race are you talking about the fast and the flurious is a PVP foot race to capture the flag for Epo tags. you should expect to get hit with the snowballs here.

The Fastest game on ice is the one for the q autographs. If you are talking about the q pics, then if you fail just restart it. theres no CD unless you win it. And none whatever on the epoh tags.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Throwing snowballs at someone else in the race is a bad idea if your purpose is to debuff them. A player hit with a snowball receives a 20% run speed buff for 10 seconds and stacks with frosted boots. They are only hurting their own chances of winning the race by pelting you with snow.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Throwing snowballs at someone else in the race is a bad idea if your purpose is to debuff them. A player hit with a snowball receives a 20% run speed buff for 10 seconds and stacks with frosted boots. They are only hurting their own chances of winning the race by pelting you with snow.

If the person is the opposite faction than you, a snowball has a 20% chance to knock them down.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    If the person is the opposite faction than you, a snowball has a 20% chance to knock them down.

correct. I snowball feddies when they are doing PvE race when I am bored, and it is quite surprising to see how many people lose the race against a TRIBBLE AI.

Gotta try against players. Just follow them during the race and snowball the opposite fraction for lolz. The Empire never sleeps and keeps the Federation pinned down, even in the Winter Wonderland :D
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It says right on the snowballs that they can knockdown players of the opposite faction. That's an intended effect. Calling that griefing is like saying bad weather is nature griefing you.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It says right on the snowballs that they can knockdown players of the opposite faction. That's an intended effect. Calling that griefing is like saying bad weather is nature griefing you.

Nature IS Griefing us.....

But now that i know you can go faster with snowballs ill make sure to hit myself with one.......:cool:
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm pretty sure players in the PvE race are immune to snowball throw, maybe you got distracted by the snowball and flinched and involuntarily released the run key for a second or hit a patch of more slippery ice that made your character slip. The heatseeker behavior is normal though, all snowballs do that in game if your target is moving.
    By the way, you are also ignored by the snowmen, so it's safe to race during the events.

One small tip for widening your lead in the race, the NPC will always follow a set path, straight down the middle of the track. You don't have to do that, the borders of the race track are a few feet up the snowbank on either side of the ice track, the flags at the corners usually mark the boundary, you can cut almost all the way to them without going out of bounds, there's only one or two exceptions to this, but a little trial and error can help you find which corners you can cut and which you can't. Remember you can also make as many attempts as you want, failing the race doesn't start the cooldown timer.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    on a good day i have gotten under the 2 minute mark without rolls or jumps or any other of these traction grabbing cheats. and giving a 20% hwould mess up my cornering which i have gotten used on after doing it enough time. i think i cane get that under 1:50 but it would require one hell of a perfect round.

also yesterday, lapped my first player and their npc breen opponent.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know the op says they avoid the ff race when snowmen are active and is complaininnng about other players snowballs but I gotta say this bit.
    I don't care if the snowmen are active or not, I'm grinding so much now days that to grind for this ship takes some time for me and I'm not letting snowmen slow me down further by having to wait till they go back to their inanimate state. There has been once or twice that I've been frozen close to the edge of the track, slid off frozen and failed. Last year they had it so that as long as you where in the race the snowmen couldn't target you. Why this year they reversed this is beyond me and I wish they'd re-implement it.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    By the way, you are also ignored by the snowmen, so it's safe to race during the events.

This is only true some of the time.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only time I ever throw snowballs with malicious intent is when someone cuts in front of me during the PvE race.

Gotta redo the race? Tough luck, now you have to spend another 3 minutes when you could have just been patient for 3 seconds.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kiloace wrote: »
    The only time I ever throw snowballs with malicious intent is when someone cuts in front of me during the PvE race.

Gotta redo the race? Tough luck, now you have to spend another 3 minutes when you could have just been patient for 3 seconds.

Lol, I wait my turn but have seen someone run up and try to cut infrond of me before, it is then when the glitch that gets them rooted and me on the track makes me laugh :) serves them right.

Back to the topic, snowballs, thrown by snowmen, or other players should be ignored by the system while you are in the pve race, that way the only snowball that effects your race is your own if you use one on yourself.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    voporak wrote: »

That chance is reduced if the player has skill points in willpower. 6 ranks in willpower will reduce the knockback chance to 11.6%. They will need 98 snowball hits in order to ensure a knockback, which will be difficult due to the fact that the player would be constantly breaking line of sight/going out of range.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • joshjpeter2joshjpeter2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've raced during the snowman invasion a number of times and they've ignored me most of the time. The only time they don't is when I spawned with no opponent. I've never had anyone snowball me during a race except for myself.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That chance is reduced if the player has skill points in willpower. 6 ranks in willpower will reduce the knockback chance to 11.6%. They will need 98 snowball hits in order to ensure a knockback, which will be difficult due to the fact that the player would be constantly breaking line of sight/going out of range.

Huh. Never knew that. But of course, since you get snowballs by the dozen, you can keep on chuckin' 'em.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.