test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official(ish) Next Expansion Speculation Thread

dinoyipidinoyipi Member Posts: 141 Arc User
http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1065181
BranFlakes wrote:
...We continued the Romulan story in May when we released the first true expansion to Star Trek Online, Legacy of Romulus. New captains were able to start the game as a Romulan, play through the experience of founding New Romulus, and help build a future for the struggling empire. Legacy was fantastically successful for us, breaking many records for the game, including new highs for the number of players playing. In fact, 2013 was the best year ever for STO! Your enthusiastic support has put another expansion on the schedule for late in 2014. Planning is in the early stages, so there is not much to share just yet, but we?re really hoping to provide something big for you all...
Let the speculation begin!

List of Theories (Updated December 21 2013; aprx. 6:00 PM PT)
*New playable faction:
-Cardassians are considered most likely.
-Liberated Borg has been hinted at by the dev team.
-Voth Separatists.
-Dominion.
*New Content:
-Increase of level cap to 60, if not higher, bringing the ability to command a fleet of ships.
-More content in the Delta Quadrant, possibly involving the Undine, Voth, or Krenim.
-Officially ending the Fed/KDF war.
-Exploration expansion.
-Finally have full conflict against the Iconians.
*Revamping Systems:
-Reworking Omega, Romulan, and Nukara reputation to follow in the footsteps of Dyson reputation.
-Crafting and Kit revamps, as have been mentioned in the past by the dev team.
-DOff revamp, by popular demand.
For personal reasons, I've left Star Trek Online.
Post edited by dinoyipi on

Comments

• drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Honestly, I think its going to involve the Undine. Not as a playable faction of course. Just the plot.

Its the most incomplete of the races in STO.

That disc in the center, holds a symbol very similar to this and also closely resembles the Undine Symbol.

That's just my opinion.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Honestly, I think its going to involve the Undine. Not as a playable faction of course. Just the plot.

Its the most implete of the races in STO.

That disc in the center, holds a symbol very similar to this and also closely resembles the Undine Symbol.

That's just my opinion.

Silence, you!

As I have said from day 1 "Undine Faction plox" We can end this little war between the Feds/KDF... then have an epicer war between the Undine and ... everyone.

I call dibs on the Undine named "Sheeba"

That said... I think it'll be either Spoon head or Ferengi related.

As for the level cap... leave it at 50. I don't want to grind our MkXIV stuff ontop of a new reputation and fleet holding.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Given that Delta, not Gamma quadrant is the focus for next year, i dont see how the Cardassians would fit in any way shape or form, Romulans made sense, given the follow up progress into the Delta quadrant, because of the gateway on new romulus.

So i would guess, some delta quadrant species, i think, Voth are not unlikely, given the current story progressions, there are quit a lot of dissidents within the faction.

Borg, i think those are quite unlikely,
    yes, it could be liberated borg of some sort, but,
    you could either implement them as a "minni faction" which picks a side after x lvls,
    which would, maybe i am wrong here, be kinda strange, given that you would have
    acces to Boffs and doffs from your allied factions, and i simply cant imagine
    Humans, Klingons, saurians and whatnot, serving on a borg vessel, even if the borg would
    be liberated, the crew would have complettly different needs then the other species/factions
    just hard to imagine a human serving on a borg cube....

next thing would be, wouldnt borg ships be kinda hmm boring?
    flying spheres, diamonds, cubes, and what? the mighty triangel as flagship?

Yeah i am kidding about the triangel, but i guess you get the point, borg ships are
    boring to look at, to say the least...

That aside, from a gameplay point, it could be kinda hard to keep a solid oientation when commanding a sphere, because chances are, it would be quite confusing, given that the ship has no clear front or rear.

And yes, borg could end up as a third faction, but again, thats something i would call highly unlikely, given how much work would need to be done, to get 50 levels of content (or with a cap increase even 60+) done within the next half year.

So, i stick to voth dissidents as new "faction", they got everything a faction on its own would need, including a mechanic which could be used to seperate their ships from the other factions (the hardened shields)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Everyone is talking about a new faction. I think it's unlikely. The Romulan are already a microfaction. And it's a lot of work to design new ships for 50lvl + boxes/lobis ship+MU ships for every faction.

Yet, nobody mentioned the level cap increase that is discussed for years now. Not a new ranks of power/BOFF/ship/gear that makes everything we have useless, but more horizontal than vertical progression. There were talk about having some kind of DOFF minigame, but with a space sector instead of crew members, where you, an Admiral, need to coordinate ships and fleet for various tasks (exploration, defense/offense...).

A level cap would mean some content to lvlup (probably FE), new areas, and new gameplay mechanism. Maybe new traits/costumes/abilities.

Also, the kit and craft revamp are still part of what they want to do, and it could be part of this kind of expansion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since a great part of the story will involve the Delta Quadrant I think if they are going to introduce a new faction it would be the Liberated Borg.
    Taking into account what happened in Endgame it would make sense.

Janeway unleashed the Endgame Virus into the Collective and some Borg were liberated and cut from the Hive, thus becoming free and forming a small faction in the Delta Quadrant.
    A new tutorial could easily start where Endgame ended making us re-live what happened to "us" as a drone and tie it to the current timeline where the Alpha Quadrant factions would end up in the Delta Quadrant.

I don't think a Cardassian faction would make any sense at this moment of the storyline. We need a continuing story driven through the game - a red line. There was and is too much story which was left open, half-heartedly - or not concluded up until now by the story department. I hope they don't make this again for the expansion.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Considering the delta quadrant approach there is probably a 50%/50% chance of cardies or Hugh's Borg playable, realistically cryptic could tug on the Seska thread with the Cardassians and kazon, likely True way-Kazon alliance? and the legitimate government wants to stop the alliance and show which voice is the real voice of Cardassia, the Cardassian/Kazon boy from Maje Cullah and Seska could speed that alliance along, but there could be significant resentment like there was with Tora Ziyal.

Hugh's borg could ally up with the remaining unimatrix 001 survivors and try to establish a new place for themselves in the Delta quadrant trying to build a free way of life. it's possible the new cooperative could become apart of this culture, it would depend if their ideals lasted after Voyager left. along with any further defectives, disconnected drones and such. i wouldn't imagine however that cryptic would allow players to run around with cubes, but spheres are possible. and creating other ships with a symmetrical generalized appearance wouldnt require too much creativity behind the idea. it's not entirely out the realms of possibilities, and adding races wouldnt be a stretch, but it can't be all alpha and beta quadrant races though, so there is plenty of opportunity for assimilated Jem'hadar, Kazon (despite 7 of 9's comment to the contrary), Devore, Krenim, and a whole lot of others from one episode races to recurring and upwards. a great source of revenue to be made there while adding these races for their cameo appearance as it should be.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Somebody break into Cryptic's office and steal their notes!

JUST KIDDING!!! Do not actually commit a crime!! :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I won't speculate what the content will be. But I will speculate it will cause forum dev-bashing, crying, and Trek lore Nerdrage .
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just hope it won't be another playable faction.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I won't speculate what the content will be. But I will speculate it will cause forum dev-bashing, crying, and Trek lore Nerdrage .

I bet you ten million dollars and a lifetime subscription that this is EXACTLY what will happen.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I for one hope they skip wasting the time to add another fraction, and spend that time making new content (that doesn't suck) for the three factions in game.. I also hope that they take labeling an expansion more serious this time, do their research, and make something that is up to the bar of every other game out there.. what we got with lor, was but a small fraction of what a successful and popular game might get in an expansion...
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Doubt it's a new faction, after the critical reception LoR received.

But then again, I was wrong about the Romulans becoming a playable faction...of sorts. So who knows... :rolleyes:

Could be a Delta Quadrant expansion, 10 new levels with new missions, new skills, squadron command for space combat, new reputation, possible crafting and exploration revamp, and maybe more polish and bug fixes...

(Just kidding about that last part) :P
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd hope for ten or so new missions for each faction that continue the storyline, maybe end the fed/kdf war, and give us some fun stuff to do. Kinda like have the same plotline, but each mission gives a different side to the story in each mission, so they feel distinct. I don't want VO work really, unless every character has it, its really sounds worse that no VO work at all.

And then, for repeating gameplay, I'd like to see the doff system expanded to let you promote your BOFFs to be their own captain, and you can use the Teir 1-4 ships as their ships, and then you could send them off on their own missions. It would be even better if you could also assign doffs to those ships and then use the ships to remotely complete doff missions. Like for instance you could send a ship of your fleet to the fleet dilithium mine and use it to do those missions instead of you going there yourself. Or maybe you could have new doff missions that collect small amounts of marks for the rep systems. Like you could send your ships to serve with task force omega and get omega marks. Or to Tau Dewa sector to get Romulan marks. Or go to your fleet starbase for fleet marks. Keep it so that direct action gives more rewards, but also so that if you run your fleet you can at least somewhat in several places at once.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Its the most incomplete of the races in STO.

That's just my opinion.

Wait... what? That stuff doesn't look like Undine technology at all.
    And to be honest, I can't spot the Undine symbol in there either?

Looks like Elachi, Voth or even Borg, but not Undine.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • masternecromanmasternecroman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am pretty sure that it will be the addition of the Delta quadrant and with it as it was hinted like:

""Hugh-like" liberated Borg" what ever that means, I am guessing a full "Drone"-like Borg race unlike the 7 of 9 liberated ones that we have now.

Talaxians for Romulans; Ocampa for Feds and Kazon for KDF.

Voyager/Intrepid class ship for the Feds

I would really like tho have more ships for Rommies since the picking is quite slim with them.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As much as I want a Cardassian faction the more and more I think about it it's a bit early for one. The Romulans haven't even been out a whole year yet and the KDF got their first original (Albeit only somewhat) ship in years. The KDF definitely deserves some new ships, some love should be shown to the Raptor line.

Both Romulans and KDF should probably be given something more Science-y, I personally would like to see a true Romulan Carrier amongst others, and the Raiders are going to be getting some love after so much time.

If we get a expasion...maybe it'll be a expansion of the map...give us a Delta Quadrant to go into and explore...plus there is also that poll that the Krenim won...maybe we will see them pop up.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Season 9 will be Delta Quadrant focused, that doesn't mean the next expansion will.

Still its easy enough to bring Cardassia in, Cardassia gets invaded by Undine Ships. Or something like that.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Talaxians for Romulans; Ocampa for Feds and Kazon for KDF.

Are you trying to sabotage the Republic?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would like more story a new featured series would be great. All so the lvl cap to go up to 60 and have my 1st officer command a ship and help me in any new missions thrre make.
    But most of all i wont loads of long term BUGS FIXING. e,g when for no reason at all my power tray messis up and ive not changed any thing for weeks.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    That's a bit like predicting that when you let go of this rock, it will hit the ground.
    Voyager/Intrepid class ship for the Feds
    The Feds already have an Intrepid-class ship. I think it's in the third tier, but may be mistaken, as it's been a while since I had to select a new Fed ship.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    Somebody break into Cryptic's office and steal their notes!

JUST KIDDING!!! Do not actually commit a crime!! :eek:

Notes ... That would imply they actually have a plan and don't make this **** up as they go. Buahahahaha!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd rather see a full ship modification system than a level cap increase.

Let me move, modify and/or add BOff, Console and device slots and I'll be happy.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    Given that Delta, not Gamma quadrant is the focus for next year, i dont see how the Cardassians would fit in any way shape or form, Romulans made sense, given the follow up progress into the Delta quadrant, because of the gateway on new romulus.

So i would guess, some delta quadrant species, i think, Voth are not unlikely, given the current story progressions, there are quit a lot of dissidents within the faction.

Borg, i think those are quite unlikely,
    yes, it could be liberated borg of some sort, but,
    you could either implement them as a "minni faction" which picks a side after x lvls,
    which would, maybe i am wrong here, be kinda strange, given that you would have
    acces to Boffs and doffs from your allied factions, and i simply cant imagine
    Humans, Klingons, saurians and whatnot, serving on a borg vessel, even if the borg would
    be liberated, the crew would have complettly different needs then the other species/factions
    just hard to imagine a human serving on a borg cube....

next thing would be, wouldnt borg ships be kinda hmm boring?
    flying spheres, diamonds, cubes, and what? the mighty triangel as flagship?

Yeah i am kidding about the triangel, but i guess you get the point, borg ships are
    boring to look at, to say the least...

That aside, from a gameplay point, it could be kinda hard to keep a solid oientation when commanding a sphere, because chances are, it would be quite confusing, given that the ship has no clear front or rear.

And yes, borg could end up as a third faction, but again, thats something i would call highly unlikely, given how much work would need to be done, to get 50 levels of content (or with a cap increase even 60+) done within the next half year.

So, i stick to voth dissidents as new "faction", they got everything a faction on its own would need, including a mechanic which could be used to seperate their ships from the other factions (the hardened shields)

Your forgetting borgified vessels. Vessels with heavy borg tech mods. Although I would play, I think a Borg faction could be the final nail in the coffin for the borg. They keep being watered down and finally playing as borg, flying their ships and finding them less than unbeatable would make them even less intimidating.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • dinoyipidinoyipi Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Updated the list in the OP. These are some very interesting ideas.
    For personal reasons, I've left Star Trek Online.
  • towanitowani Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PLEASE, NO NEW Factions / species / playable people.

Improve the 3 years worth of stuff we have. Expand on that and MOVE THE STORY LINE ALONG!!!
    Hi. Apparently I'm new here and joined in Jun 2012. Guess I'm in good company though... seems everyone else joined then too!
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    -Increase of level cap to 60, if not higher, bringing the ability to command a fleet of ships.

This is the only part I care about honestly, perhaps the level increase to allow this is also of interest but in the end, so many mothballed ships will at last be useful for those of us that have been here since launch. HURRAY!!!!!!

Crosses all digits on hand and feet plus arms and legs!!
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    towani wrote: »
    PLEASE, NO NEW Factions / species / playable people.

Improve the 3 years worth of stuff we have. Expand on that and MOVE THE STORY LINE ALONG!!!

This!!!

Asking Cryptic to do yet another expansion is like asking an ADHD kid to multitask while showing him cartoons on TV. The results are not going to be good.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Really hope it's not a Borg faction...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want me some Khan Noonien Singh-style superhuman Duty officers.

Yeah, let's get that to happen at some point.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unless it's an an exploration expansion , or Epic War with the Iconions and their Allies, then I could careless.
    GwaoHAD.png