test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who now watches Star Trek

jessejknightjessejknight Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
Be good if STO would do a survey of how many have or are now watching all of the Star Trek tv series and movies because of Star Trek Online and now can get the enjoyment out of the game like us who have loved Star Trek since we first started watching it for those who haven't yet watch all the Star trek franchise watch it then u'll love the missions and the references to the Star Trek franchise in the in game missions etc.
Post edited by jessejknight on

Comments

• felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    First a legitimate response... good idea.

Now... this is the longest sentence I have ever seen.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I watch the series through Netflix. Depends on my mood as to which one I am watching. Also, since I've seen all of them, I tend to cherry pick episodes. Which means I may not watch all of an episode at one sitting.

But whenever I am getting frustrated in game, I find watching an episode or two, along with a film, recharges my enthusiasm for STO. Seeing Janeway successfully complete a Mexican Standoff with the Kazon or watching Sisko conn the Defiant, or watching Phlox explain something about his home and culture to Hoshi makes me want to hurry up and finish the episode so I can go back in there and this time be a force for good in the Galaxy.

These are my two favorite DS9 episodes. The Sword of Kahless and Grumpy Old Klingons. To serve the Empire honorably and well, even when it does not deserve such and appreciates the service even less than this, is the hallmark of a great warrior who has succeeded in gaining more glory than one man has any right to.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    Be good if STO would do a survey of how many have or are now watching all of the Star Trek tv series and movies because of Star Trek Online and now can get the enjoyment out of the game like us who have loved Star Trek since we first started watching it for those who haven't yet watch all the Star trek franchise watch it then u'll love the missions and the references to the Star Trek franchise in the in game missions etc.

I just finished DS9, and am now watching Voyager.
    I've seen every episode of Star Trek. Every series. Every movie, except the last 2. But only once for most, when they were originally aired or screened.
    I couldn't tell you squat for details though, as I have the memory of a goldfish.
    Right now, I'm watching the Voyager episode where the Doctor fights Grendel.
    A ripping good yarn.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I still watch it occasionally.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If it was on broadcast channels I'd watch it. Occasionally I'll catch an episode of TNG of BBC America.

But the reason is not "because of STO". I liked Star Trek long before there was STO.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Watching one of my favorite episodes of TNG now. (The Next Phase)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just started Season 4 of TNG. I just finished Family. The one where Lore returns and steals the Emotion program.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I often wonder how many people haven't seen Star Trek at all... and simply jumped in game "because reason." Most often I wonder this when I see some of the ship names go by... or encounter four or five Normandy or Serenity in a given instance.

Then there have been certain RP incidents... Starfleet officers planning a massive coordinated military strike on Bajor to erase all religious elements? Because it's Starfleet's mission to make sure that Bajor learns that religion in all forms is bad, and that Starfleet does not tolerate religion in any form because Earth outlawed Religion back in blahalalal yeah. Kind of goes against the whole message of tolerance and acceptance that pervaded the shows, yes? That's just one example. Outlaw/Rogue Fleets and Fleets That Answer To No One/Independent Operators With Starfleet Equipment... All great in other IPs but we don't exactly see that sort of thing in-show

Other times I'll be talking to someone and I'll make a wisecrack about the show and they'll be like lolwhatok. References to episodes or characters are met in some cases with confusion.

Hey more power to them. Glad they manage to have fun. I try to keep my Trek somewhat Trek-Like and stick with the framework established on-screen. I am old enough to remember when Star Trek ran as a CARTOON, and I've been following it my whole life. I find it interesting to say the least that there are folks who have never seen a first run Star Trek series at this point, and ONLY know Trek through this game or the new movies. Gotta start somewhere!
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've enjoyed star trek for a good few years. Late night study sessions at my dorm, there were st:voyager episodes on Space. Was good times. Star trek makes an excellent brain descrambler

I play STO not because it's star trek, but that the space combat looked interesting.....it is one of my most favorite gaming mechanics I've ever experienced
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ive watched TNG DS9 VOY so much i have to be super bored out my mind to watch them now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ive watched trek enough to memorize most of it but never checked into TAS, doubt i ever will.

i may waych voyager in combination with babylon 5 at some point, just to watch the ever reckless janeway destroy something and the epic story arc of b5.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • skelet0rrskelet0rr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll watch them repeatedly, and by them I mean TNG, DS9, and VOY.... and its because of the storylines and characters. How so you ask? well ill tell you

TNG- who doesnt like the first series that had villians aside from romulans or klingons? (the borg ,cardassians, etc)

DS9 - more of the same except in two different quadrants, which kept things interesting, the introduction of Cmndr Worf as a main character was the main reason I grew fond of DS9

VOY- NEW QUADRANT PPL! different races, new challenges and a marriage between main characters as well made this series interesting for me.

Don't get me started on the train wreck that was ENT though.. I beg of you. the only episode i really liked was In a Mirror darkly, and even then.. Scott Bakula was horrible
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    very very.......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've just got past my favorite episode of Enterprise Season 2, Regeneration on my watch through of the entire enterprise series.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      A long while ago a bunch of us did a forum post; I believe it was called The Journey once a day we updated the thread with the next episode. It took about two years and I believe it would be nice to know how many people watch the TV shows and what they liked most about them. This way the Devs could incorporate some of the aspects of the TV shows and put them in-game.
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      ltsmith wrote: »
      A long while ago a bunch of us did a forum post; I believe it was called The Journey once a day we updated the thread with the next episode. It took about two years and I believe it would be nice to know how many people watch the TV shows and what they liked most about them. This way the Devs could incorporate some of the aspects of the TV shows and put them in-game.

i remember this thread and as i recalled devs got involved in them as well.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9- 100% content reviewed, Enterprise I saw SE 1 and like the last 3 episodes of the last SE, very few of in between, I only watched hoping Bakula would leap out and the theme song (with friggin lyrics) would be forgotten so that MAYBE someday we could have TV Trek again.. Alas he screwed that pooch out of existence... Damn you Archer, you should have been court marshaled and handed over to the KDF for "re-education"...
    • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      I just finished DS9, and am now watching Voyager.
      I've seen every episode of Star Trek. Every series. Every movie, except the last 2. But only once for most, when they were originally aired or screened.
      I couldn't tell you squat for details though, as I have the memory of a goldfish.
      Right now, I'm watching the Voyager episode where the Doctor fights Grendel.
      A ripping good yarn.

Hey me too! I'm a big Trek fan, but have only watched TOS and TNG in completeness. Decided to live up to my fandom and take in every series. DS9 was awesome.
      themarie wrote: »
      I often wonder how many people haven't seen Star Trek at all... and simply jumped in game "because reason." Most often I wonder this when I see some of the ship names go by... or encounter four or five Normandy or Serenity in a given instance.

What's wrong with some cross-pollination :p . I myself think Mass Effect is one of the greatest set of games I've ever played.
    • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      I'll watch it if it's on, I'll watch it, but I don't specifically look for it... :o
    • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      gfreeman98 wrote: »
      If it was on broadcast channels I'd watch it. Occasionally I'll catch an episode of TNG of BBC America.

But the reason is not "because of STO". I liked Star Trek long before there was STO.

Check & see if you have a station called MeTV in your area. Where I live, every Saturday evening, at 8pm (EST), they run TOS Trek.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
      Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      Hey me too! I'm a big Trek fan, but have only watched TOS and TNG in completeness. Decided to live up to my fandom and take in every series. DS9 was awesome.

What's wrong with some cross-pollination :p . I myself think Mass Effect is one of the greatest set of games I've ever played.

Lol, Actually, for ship names, I kind of just have a them for which each character uses, for ship names, such as my Alien Fed Sci Admiral does metals, gemstones, and the odd "gemlike" naming ocean. Or My Fed Tac, she does things to do with rock & heavy metal, such as instrument names, or band names. Nothing like having the "USS KISS" flying around!:cool::cool:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
      Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      I've been rewatching Star Trek on Netflix since I was really feeling withdrawal during this age of Star Trek-less television. I missed it so bad.

(And MeTV doesn't come in very well in my area; it occasionally has moments of clarity and then it just goes pixels and/or black.)
    • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
      edited December 2013
      Watched all series, including TAS, at least twice. Movies, too. TOS I've watched more times than I can recall.

The only thing I've not done is go back and watch TOS after the CGI modifications, except for "Balance of Terror". I suppose I should get to it.

Regarding STO, I'll occasionally rewatch a snippet of a show if I'm reminding myself of the details of something brought up in STO.
    • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
      edited December 2013
      now watching all of the Star Trek tv series and movies because of Star Trek Online

I don't watch Trek because I play STO. I play STO because I watch Trek.
    • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      I've watched all of them start to finish with the exception of the animated series. Enterprise wasn't that bad. Thankfully I Netflixed it and could fast foward past the opening theme. There are some scenes with Jolene Blaylock worth watching again. And the Borg episode was a clever story. The Xindi story arc was good too. The series took some time to warm up, but it was good. I was disappointed it ended after 4 aseasons.
      Here in the suburbs of NYC, Trek is on almost daily on either SyFy or BBC America. Yesterday they both were showing Trek, TOS movies and TNG. I really got into DS9 again after STO brought me to Cardassian space. The book based on the game was good reading too, "The Needs of the Many" by Michael A. Martin. It was written from the point of view of Jake sisko as an adult. I like to have something on in the background, either music or tv, while I play, and if I can find some kind of trek then all the better.
    • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      Still watching TNG ...
      Done TOS, seen some VOY as a 7 year old (a while ago that was ...) ... got a long way to go yet ...
      Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      I'm working my way through DS9 as we speak, streaming it from the CBS website. Just finished "Favor the Bold".
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      I don't watch any current TV shows and maybe 1 or 2 new movies per year at most. What little TV I do watch is Star Trek reruns on Netflix and the occasional Star Trek movie.
      Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
      edited December 2013
      Lol, Actually, for ship names, I kind of just have a them for which each character uses, for ship names, such as my Alien Fed Sci Admiral does metals, gemstones, and the odd "gemlike" naming ocean. Or My Fed Tac, she does things to do with rock & heavy metal, such as instrument names, or band names. Nothing like having the "USS KISS" flying around!:cool::cool:

Makes sense, sort of like how the Luna uses moons in the Sol system, planning to name mine Ganymede.
      The only thing I've not done is go back and watch TOS after the CGI modifications, except for "Balance of Terror". I suppose I should get to it.

Man it looks great, but it takes alot of space. One Season of that in HD takes as much as all of DS9 in SD.
    • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
      edited December 2013
      These days, I find myself watching specific episodes here and there, mostly as they relate to the references in STO. Having all the series available instantly on Netflix is very convenient. :)