test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New choices for interiors and bridges for Fed Ships

jeffrobinson79jeffrobinson79 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
I am a lifetime member, and I love this game. What I wish to see is new interiors and bridges for our ships. The origin bridge is amazing, but I would love to see interiors of older ships, like the bridge and interiors of the constitution refit from ST 2-6, those designs were amazing, and the Excelsior and Enterprise B. Also for the NX ship, maybe do a set like the Belfast and the original series set. Im sure Im not the only one who would love to step into those bridges, and walk those corridors. And go to engineering and see a warp reactor that we would see on those particular ships, not the same engine on all the ships. If this can happen all of us fanboys and girls would rejoice!
Post edited by jeffrobinson79 on

Comments

• whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am a lifetime member, and I love this game. What I wish to see is new interiors and bridges for our ships. The origin bridge is amazing, but I would love to see interiors of older ships, like the bridge and interiors of the constitution refit from ST 2-6, those designs were amazing, and the Excelsior and Enterprise B. Also for the NX ship, maybe do a set like the Belfast and the original series set. Im sure Im not the only one who would love to step into those bridges, and walk those corridors. And go to engineering and see a warp reactor that we would see on those particular ships, not the same engine on all the ships. If this can happen all of us fanboys and girls would rejoice!

I would pony up for a ST 1-6 interior, especially if later versions of the Excel' bridge are available.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unless you are in to RP, I dont see the point of ship interiors... I'd be all for additional interiors (and exterior design options for the bases), if there were something to DO there.

Don't get me wrong, I am not -1'ing your idea... but to me its absolutely... meh... Without anything to do but stroll around... I just don't see the point in investing resources to build.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unless you are in to RP, I dont see the point of ship interiors... I'd be all for additional interiors (and exterior design options for the bases), if there were something to DO there.

Don't get me wrong, I am not -1'ing your idea... but to me its absolutely... meh... Without anything to do but stroll around... I just don't see the point in investing resources to build.

I'm not into RP, but there are times that we do need to go into the interior of our ships (special doff missions for example), and it would be good for me to have those options.
  • acenoodlesacenoodles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i rather have klinks get more interiors than us feds but at least the klinks have better interiors than us feds anyways
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    acenoodles wrote: »
    i rather have klinks get more interiors than us feds but at least the klinks have better interiors than us feds anyways
    Sorry but I had to spend a few minutes draining the snorted coffee out of my keyboard after that one. Klingon interiors are Terrible, and the Romulans have 1, 1 choice for the whole ship lineup. No the Federation should be taking a back seat where interiors are concerned for a little while until everyone else as been caught up.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the rommies need some differents bridges i knda like their interior though
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Klingon interiors are Terrible, and the Romulans have 1, 1 choice for the whole ship lineup. No the Federation should be taking a back seat where interiors are concerned for a little while until everyone else as been caught up.

I agree. Feds need to take a cool down time so that the Klinks and Romulans can catch up. And the Romulans have much farther to go to catch up than the Klinks.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Why didn't the lovely corridors and hallways of the tutorial ship get taken over to the standard hallways of the Origin bridgeset? That would already increase the epicness of Fed interiors by dubble or more.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • tabzentabzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Again with feds wanting more stuff ?

Does it ever stop ?
  • rybrarianrybrarian Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It raises kind of a good issue, and that's mainly that ALL ship interiors in the game need something of a revamp.

If you think about how many "bottle episodes" of TNG happened on the *inside* of the Enterprise, it seems silly to me that we can't run missions and/or create some kind of mini-Foundry missions on the inside of our ship. By the same token, there's just stuff that should be added without question-

-more customizable options for your Captain's Ready Room
    -crew quarters. Your toon should have quarters (I mean, that's a GIVEN), but I'm going to take it further and say you should be able to set up quarters for any and all bridge officers on your character. There should obviously be a "Crew Quarters" deck option when you enter your turbolift.
    -a Holodeck. I know this is a loaded issue (there's that one at the Academy that does nothing), but you should be able to run training exercises that help you get ground kill accolades. Also, dilithium + energy credits (although, the amount could be capped)
    -Bridges need a BIG revamp, especially since they are sold. You should be able to modify certain aspects of your ship from the bridge. The Galaxy class should feature a standard and a battle bridge, or at least allow the battle bridge to be a separate C-store purchase.
    -DOFFs in your account should be the randomly generated crew that appears in your ship.

While it's great that there are Ferengi/Breen/Tholian/Cardassian/Voth/etc interiors, it's also a little bit disheartening that loading one of these "special" bridges cuts off access to the rest of your ship. Why? There's no good reason for that. And while the Ferengi bridge is great and you can do a lot from it, it's essentially the interior of what a Ferengi SHUTTLE should be, not a ship. The interiors just need more development. There's a lot of potential there.

You also need more than just 3 shuttle bridges. There's just default Fed/Rom/KDF ones. For reals.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    rybrarian wrote: »
    It raises kind of a good issue, and that's mainly that ALL ship interiors in the game need something of a revamp.

If you think about how many "bottle episodes" of TNG happened on the *inside* of the Enterprise, it seems silly to me that we can't run missions and/or create some kind of mini-Foundry missions on the inside of our ship. By the same token, there's just stuff that should be added without question-

-crew quarters. Your toon should have quarters (I mean, that's a GIVEN), but I'm going to take it further and say you should be able to set up quarters for any and all bridge officers on your character. There should obviously be a "Crew Quarters" deck option when you enter your turbolift.
    -a Holodeck. I know this is a loaded issue (there's that one at the Academy that does nothing), but you should be able to run training exercises that help you get ground kill accolades. Also, dilithium + energy credits (although, the amount could be capped)
    -Bridges need a BIG revamp, especially since they are sold. You should be able to modify certain aspects of your ship from the bridge. The Galaxy class should feature a standard and a battle bridge, or at least allow the battle bridge to be a separate C-store purchase.
    -DOFFs in your account should be the randomly generated crew that appears in your ship.

While it's great that there are Ferengi/Breen/Tholian/Cardassian/Voth/etc interiors, it's also a little bit disheartening that loading one of these "special" bridges cuts off access to the rest of your ship. Why? There's no good reason for that. And while the Ferengi bridge is great and you can do a lot from it, it's essentially the interior of what a Ferengi SHUTTLE should be, not a ship. The interiors just need more development. There's a lot of potential there.

You also need more than just 3 shuttle bridges. There's just default Fed/Rom/KDF ones. For reals.

I agree. More interiors for players to create ship based missions in the foundry. The short list that we have to choose from is hardly enough.
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A full interior (well, full insofar as every other Fed ship has) for the Wells/Mobius would be nice.

It's kinda cramped when everyone has to eat, sleep and shower on the bridge. :(
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Improved interiors just won't happen. Only RPers would buy them and it wouldn't be worth much to Cryptic. That's why I think that Cryptic should just give us the ability to make multi-faction maps in the foundry and be done with it.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rybrarian wrote: »

We'll there is a captains quarter in every factions interior.

But I agree with the interiors need for some love.

The romulans have IMO the by far best looking interior and bridge... I wouldn't even want to change those.

But gerally some more rooms would be nice, a shuttle bay in particular.(May be including the ability to display the owned shuttles there)
    Also costumisation is IMO needed. A general uniform for the random crew (here,again, pure luck that the romulan random crew uses the uniform I use anyway), also the ability to position my crew on the stations I want them to be (including putting the chief medical into sickbay and the chief eng into engineering room), ect ect.
    Most if that (everything but the uniform for the random crew members) can be done easyly by using the same mechanic the trophies use).

Also there should be interior access from all bridges, even if you get only access to the "usual" faction interior. (Or they do one "neutral" interior for all those Andorian , Vulcan, jem hadar ferengie voth and-so-on ships)

Also I don't see it to be that difficult to create interior based missions...
  • nveknvek Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Would be nice to have The Excelsior Bridge from The Undiscovered Country as well as The Enterprise/REliant Bridges as well! as for The Romulan Bridges! D-Deredex Bridge!:)
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited January 2014

Do you mean new bridges in addition to all these?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Bridge
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Adding a large number of bridges in addition to the 48 that are available for the Federation alone, sounds rather...sorry not a native speaker...over the top.
    What would probably help much much more is a reduction in size comparable to the way the Defiant and TOS sets are scaled in relation to their canon counterparts.
    Under such conditions the Atlas Prometheus bridge is actually a pretty close match for a 2409 Excelsior bridge.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I'd like to see the 'personal ship interior' foundry like concept occur. A C-Store purchasable option, that then allows customization of up to five variable sized interior decks, that then can get the usual add ons, (Bridge with ready room options 'and' conference room options, shuttlebay options, transporter options, a number of 'standard' options,) with occasional C-Store 'add on' packs, for unique stuff, like cross faction options, target room, crew uniforms, options that escape immediate imagination... so on. The Crafting system (SO badly needing a lease on Katra infused life,) can play a real part here too.

It'd have to be restricted somewhat, as it's a LARGE player base, with only so much server space on it. (Never mind the bugs...) but it 'would' be nice to combine what we have now, into something customizable. Special add on stuff can come from Lock Box rewards, or future reputation rewards, so on... I mean just to say it 'won't' happen, is shortsighted, if it can be shown that the devs can make money off of it.

(Semi-undramatic pause.)

Anywho... given that ship interiors is and ARE a component of Star Trek television and movies, to leave them as they are, feels an injustice to us fans that play this game, when we could be playing ANYTHING else that the entertainment market, has to offer. It all 'would' help solve several wanted ideas, wanted fixes, and pluggable wants (such as Excel bridges and so such,) all in one unique setup, that can then also go back into Foundry creation, and who knows what else, from there.

I DO see this as possible, and would LIKE it too happen, in the next couple of years. Consider this, positive thinking, with colorful metaphors withheld, for this post of thought. :)
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    aleaic wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see the 'personal ship interior' foundry like concept occur.

I was watching on youtube, the STO Dev Panel from August 10, 2013 at the STLV Convention (quiet day in the office). At the 31:34 mark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXGVsVWXWHY), someone (in a STO uniform cosplay) asked about custom ship interior design similar to Hideouts from Champions Online.

The response (I think that's Stahl himself) is that the is a dev named "Andrew Aims" (spelling?) who has "promised us that within the next year... that he will take the foundry editor which allows you to create internal zones and much like in Neverwinter and not so much on Champ[ions Online]... but Neverwinter create your own 3D interiors whether it is dungeons or stuff... he promised us that he will be able to take that tech and put it over to Star Trek so that you can fully customize your entire starship interior or your starbase... so that's something we've been talking about for years and hopefully it's going to happen."

So, here's hoping.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Improved interiors just won't happen. Only RPers would buy them and it wouldn't be worth much to Cryptic. That's why I think that Cryptic should just give us the ability to make multi-faction maps in the foundry and be done with it.

Whose talking about buy? Its an underutilized part of the game that has been made free to all in every recent development (origin bridge, romulan interiors.)

Foundry though I think is only a stop-gap solution. Full customization is of course nice but the basis for that needs to be better quality content with which to customize. IMO cryptic should give the federation and KDF a good stock interior (equivalent to what the romulans have now) which can then later be expanded with Foundry support should that be seen as necessary.

But why bother? Because the ship is an important part of star trek and what to do in the ship is a very poorly developed part of the game in perhaps large part owing to how bad the interiors are now. Who would, in the first place, want to spend more time in something as simplistic and ugly as the FED sick bay? Adding more utilities, features, and perhaps even missions there would only drag people out less distressed areas (ex. hubs, missions, adventure zones) and into the arm pit of STO.

No, improved interiors are necessary but not in their own right. They are necessary to open up a very Star Trek part of the Star Trek universe to STO. Once you bring the quality up you can then start filling ships with various utilities such as Doff management tools, in game ship/skill planners, and stats (you could do A LOT with this alone) to provide the foundation of "what do you do when inside your ship" (that you can't do at K-7 or the Azura II). Then you add in the more engaging content such as interior specific missions and dailies to produce the framework for the structure which you complete and furnish with, and only at the end, interior customization options.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm a lifer too and I'm still waiting on the shuttle bay the cargo bay access to the exchange mail and bank on my own ship as a lifetime member without a cooldown. I'm also waiting on better interiors where they actually match the interior of the bridge I choose in the other lower deck corridors.
  • pyrostarsypyrostarsy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just give feds the tutorial interior already and be done with it.

Give us a tribble hutch in the science lab

A shuttle-only ship selection menu in the shuttle bay

Let us heal injuries from sick bay

Repair our ships in Main engineering

Give us a way to make foundry missions in our own holodeck, transporter room, or shuttle bay

That's enough functionality for now, but the current interiors are so bad. I'm willing to bet the majority of your sales of the DS9 bundle cryptic aren't DS9 fans, but feds who wanted a better ship interior.

Also, romulans have the best interior in the game, they have some nerve crying. KDF bridges are cool, but could use an update as well.

In the mean time, we were told about these fed interiors months ago, and the assets exist and are just going unused when they could be put to good, welcome use. Just make it happen already, everything in this post could be knocked out in under a week.
  • mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tabzen wrote: »

Does it ever stop ?

Better interiors have been asked for since the ones we have were hooked up.

The new fed interior from the tutorial needs to be made accessible on all fed ships. We already get the bridge from the tutorial as the default bridge.

Romulan interior is just fine and cool looking. We just need trophy spots added so we can display our trophies that we earn from accolades or specific missions.

Klingon interiors need to be redone also.

Some DOFF assignments were only accessible from your ship interior, but a bunch of whiners resulted in the 'department head' tab being added to the DOFF screen.

As for Feds asking for more stuff...no it won't stop :):P
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Several months ago, I put together a comprehensive proposal regarding customizable ship interiors and how they could be used to be made relevant to the core gameplay experience (episode missions that are automatically tailored to a player's ship class/customisation, boarding action PvP/PvE etc.)

See the links in my sig for details.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That depends, I have several ships that don't have a central neck, therefore most the Warpcores are vertical instead being horizontal.

The Defiant is the only ship that has a special size core. And for my Oddie, has a vertical one, when it clearly can be seen, from the outside that should not be so.

It should be addressed and taken care of at some point.
    tabzen wrote: »

Does it ever stop ?
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    truewarper wrote: »
    That depends, I have several ships that don't have a central neck, therefore most the Warpcores are vertical instead being horizontal.

The Defiant is the only ship that has a special size core. And for my Oddie, has a vertical one, when it clearly can be seen, from the outside that should not be so.

It should be addressed and taken care of at some point.

Excuse me, but what part of a ship's outside indicates the orientation of its warpcore?:confused:
  • cruisin1500cruisin1500 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    what is there to do in the interior? That we need interior?