test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where is the Gamma Quadrant?

thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
In a recent thread, with the rumor about the Delta Quadrant coming in Season 9, it got me thinking, whatever happened to the Gamma Quadrant?

DS9 and the Wormhole have been in this game since the beginning. Yet, they have not expanded upon this and actually linked the Wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant for us to explore. I would have, by this point (before adding the Delta Quadrant) liked to have seen the Gamma Quadrant (as an actual sector space block) added to the game, with the Wormhole linking us to it.

This could have given us new patrols to do, new missions and mission possibilities.

Think the Gamma Quadrant will ever happen in this game? If so, what would you like to see there?
Post edited by thedoctorbluebox on

Comments

• saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't think the Dominion will want us to be snooping around their frontyard AGAIN...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Someone did a poll and everyone voted Voyager instead of DS9. So we're not going to see Gamma anytime soon.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think we will be visiting the Gamma Quadrant "soon".

Don't forget that in Spheres of Influence, one of the worlds we saw was that world in the Gamma Quadrant that was shown on DS9. And the Vorta hinting at the Iconians in the 2800 series.

So I could imagine us going to there in Season 10 or 11.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    From yesterday's 2013 Reflections:
    Your enthusiastic support has put another expansion on the schedule for late in 2014.

That could mean any number of things, but in order to be called an "expansion" instead of a "season," it would have to be a content update on the magnitude of LoR.

An expansion into the Gamma Quadrant could fit that bill.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »

That could mean any number of things, but in order to be called an "expansion" instead of a "season," it would have to be a content update on the magnitude of LoR.

One thing from that blog that you quoted one sentence from is that they throw around the DELTA quadrant for further exploration. If anything is coming in an expansion, it'll be the Delta quadrant first. There's plenty of Voyager fans out there, more so than DS9.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think we will be visiting the Gamma Quadrant "soon".

Don't forget that in Spheres of Influence, one of the worlds we saw was that world in the Gamma Quadrant that was shown on DS9. And the Vorta hinting at the Iconians in the 2800 series.

So I could imagine us going to there in Season 10 or 11.

I'm pretty sure they showed that because Worf was part of the mission, and wanted him to say something so they can get their monies worth.

Cryptic does not have a good track record when it comes to hinting at stuff

Remember the Hur'Q at the end of the Feklar mission, remember Children of Khan reference at the end of 2800, remember the Iconions popping up randomly...we get it Cryptic their responsible for everything...well to that I say

So no I don't think we're ever gong to see the Gama Quadrant anytime soon at least till the next poll, or a Dev blog because anything in game is not reliable .
    GwaoHAD.png
  • quadraxis666quadraxis666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Someone did a poll and everyone voted Voyager instead of DS9. So we're not going to see Gamma anytime soon.

I remember that, it's funny I bet if the vote had gone in favor of DS9 or TNG it would still be the sphere, just put in the gamma quadrant with dominion enemies for DS9, or for TNG probably it would be in the sphere seen in "Relics"

Going back to the OP, I do agree it would be nice to be able to actually use the wormhole to access the gamma quadrant at large, not just the small area in the 2800 series which was actually a really boring mission.

They have indicated a new expansion is coming late 2014, if it's really going to be a cardassian faction as so many people speculate, perhaps we will see the wormhole expanded upon. And seriously i hope they fill in that sector block sized empty space between sirius and cardassian space, the one that should contain Trill, Betazed, Ferenginar etc
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One thing from that blog that you quoted one sentence from is that they throw around the DELTA quadrant for further exploration. If anything is coming in an expansion, it'll be the Delta quadrant first. There's plenty of Voyager fans out there, more so than DS9.

Yeah, likely to be delta next year. We even have a second route to get there, via the Dyson sphere.

It's a pity, I would enjoy exploring the gamma quadrant more as well.....
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I still call shenanigans on that poll that was done, compared to others it was A not up as long and B not as forefronted, and C clearly shows the numbers of votes nowhere compare to other polls.....

I still think it was an easy copout for Cryptic this whole DELTA quadrant thing because it was completely shown maybe 1 nebula not explored but hardly anything there that has to be CREATED

Ya im irritated, this "Development Team" takes months to produce very little and its their JOB meanwhile people who work 9-5 and play the game manage to make better content in the foundry, and in less time.

The Gamma quadrant would have been too taxing on the developers from what im currently seeing for any kind of story and content originality....

Do I still enjoy this game? Ya mostly
    Do I wish for this game to actually meet the potential it could? You bet!

But, lets be honest...none of season 8 nor the feature episode were anyway in an original idea...it was Jurassic Park meets Halo with the first episode of SG: Universe thrown in
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    I still call shenanigans on that poll that was done, compared to others it was A not up as long and B not as forefronted, and C clearly shows the numbers of votes nowhere compare to other polls.....

I still think it was an easy copout for Cryptic this whole DELTA quadrant thing because it was completely shown maybe 1 nebula not explored but hardly anything there that has to be CREATED

Ya im irritated, this "Development Team" takes months to produce very little and its their JOB meanwhile people who work 9-5 and play the game manage to make better content in the foundry, and in less time.

The Gamma quadrant would have been too taxing on the developers from what im currently seeing for any kind of story and content originality....

Do I still enjoy this game? Ya mostly
    Do I wish for this game to actually meet the potential it could? You bet!

But, lets be honest...none of season 8 nor the feature episode were anyway in an original idea...it was Jurassic Park meets Halo with the first episode of SG: Universe thrown in

They have lore in place stating that the treaty between the allies and the Dominion forbids missions into the Gamma Quadrant.

Of course that lore could be circumvented, but I don't really see the appeal in doing so.
    For more Cryptic aliens instead of canon aliens?
    Even from Voyager (which I despise as a show)... I think even stuff from Voyager can only be better then if you let Cryptic think up more Deferi and Starlians.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they showed that because Worf was part of the mission, and wanted him to say something so they can get their monies worth.

Doesn't mean it couldn't work as a double entendre.

neoakiraii wrote: »
    Cryptic does not have a good track record when it comes to hinting at stuff

Remember the Hur'Q at the end of the Feklar mission, remember Children of Khan reference at the end of 2800, remember the Iconions popping up randomly...we get it Cryptic their responsible for everything...well to that I say

So no I don't think we're ever gong to see the Gama Quadrant anytime soon at least till the next poll, or a Dev blog because anything in game is not reliable .

And the Iconians popping up and yet are still relevant in the storyline. The Hur'Q would likely be part of a Gamma Quadrant expansion, since that was their home.

Children of Khan........ I gave up Cryptic expanding that story. It's like one of those things whispered in the wind.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The 2800 also hinted at the Tholians and we never got t... ehm...

Give them time.
    I think those hints may eventually lead somewhere.
    Some sooner, some later.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Children of Khan........ I gave up Cryptic expanding that story. It's like one of those things whispered in the wind.

Yes, because its not like Cryptic didn't add another hint with the new KDF storyline where you threaten a research facility working for Amar Singh and the Tal Shiar. :rolleyes:

The answer is, this stuff isn't being developed because the devs came to us and asked us what we wanted. And the forums said "We want Voyager content!" in a landslide. Now everyone's having buyer's remorse. Yes, the content can be silly, but have you watched Voyager? You have a controversial Captain that half think is awesome and the other think is a meglomaniac murderer. No continuity (something that made Ronald D. Moore leave the series after only a few episodes), 3 characters stealing the spotlight, alien races that make no sense (I'm looking at you Ocampa life cycles and the Tak Tak).

In fact let's actually compare the Tak Tak to the Voth Dinos:

Voth Dinosaurs: A large imposing creature that has been bioenginneered as a war creature akin to a horse augmented by cybernetics and happens to be something fearful to mammalian life.

The Tak Tak: A humanoid lifeform that communicates through interpretive dance and has an obstruction over its mouth making you wonder how it eats.

Sorry, guys, uh... any content we get that's Voyager related is rediculous. Because the show IS rediculous. It only survived on the Rule of Cool and lots of special effects.

I would much prefer a chance to go to the Gamma Quadrant but that's not happening because a large amount of people here said "we want Delta Quadrant." Not everyone, but a large majority.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »

Yeah, but if we're talking the scope and scale of LoR, just S8-type content isn't going to cut it.

Like I said elsewhere, an expansion either needs to be a massive revamp of sector space, exploration and the like, or a new faction. Or both.

Honestly, if there's another expansion on the table and it's got no ties to a new playable faction, Cryptic/PWE are shooting themselves in the foot. The Steam stats alone for LoR put it on par with the F2P launch.
    The answer is, this stuff isn't being developed because the devs came to us and asked us what we wanted. And the forums said "We want Voyager content!" in a landslide. Now everyone's having buyer's remorse..

I voted DS9. So I guess that makes me like a doomsayer or something.

Just for the record; You brought this doom upon yourselves!
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Yeah, but if we're talking the scope and scale of LoR, just S8-type content isn't going to cut it.

Like I said elsewhere, an expansion either needs to be a massive revamp of sector space, exploration and the like, or a new faction. Or both.

Honestly, if there's another expansion on the table and it's got no ties to a new playable faction, Cryptic/PWE are shooting themselves in the foot. The Steam stats alone for LoR put it on par with the F2P launch.

I agree with you completely. I definitely understated my original point. An expansion into the Gamma Quadrant by itself would definitely not justify calling it an "expansion." In my opinion, merely revamping something which already exists (crafting, sector space, exploration, etc) wouldn't, either.

It would have to be either a new faction on the scale of the Romulans, or a massive amount of new content for all three existing faction (ideally, faction-specific missions, not shared content).
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And this post, ladies and gentleman, will provide all the answers we need to access the Gamma Quadrant, in terms of how the game is developing.

1) The Dominion and Alpha Alliance (as I have come to call Fed/KDF/Rom everywhere) did not have had any contact between 2375 and 2409. After 34 years of silence, in which nothing happens except for Eraun capturing the U.S.S. Rapier, the 2800 appear. Suddenly, both sides are working together to end this conflict with as few lives as possible. And in my opinion, that joint operation really went well. So who is not to say the Dominion are not seeking further contact with the Alpha Alliance, in one way or another?

2) The Dominion and Alpha Alliance both face the Iconians as a dangerous threat. Although Eraun only said a few cryptic words (yep, thats a joke) we know the Iconians and Dominion have tangled before. They will tangle again. Cooperation against this threat only seems logical.

3) We know nothing about the Dominion versus the Borg. I have created 3 Foundry missions (search for @rahmkota19 as author and then play DP1, DP2 and DP3) detailing about a possiblility for conflict. But we know this: the Borg have at least 4 transwarp hubs. They can invade anywhere, anytime. Why don't they invade the Gamma Quadrant?

4) We already have the entrance (DS9) and the main Gamma Quadrant hostile NPC's set (Jem'Hadar). This really openes up a possibility for a new Reputation system, offering better Dominion Polaron weaponry (ow yeah, those are also in-game already) and the possibility for a Jem'Hadar Mk XII set for all players (those that spend lobi's: you could enjoy it earlier than anyone else, so no whining here please). Along with a Fleet Communications post, serving as an intelligence location in the Gamma Quadrant as well as a communication point for the Dominion. This holding could, just something random I'm shouting here, offer the possibility to buy console-less lock box ships that are bound to account in boxes, and only if you already have the lock box ship we're talking about.

(Nope, I don't want more grinding, but hey, I'm talking in the direction of the game here).

5) ITS THE DOMINION. No other enemy has been as big a threat in canon than the Dominion. All other enemies were just a couple of battles and poof, they give up attacking the Alpha Quadrant. The Dominion came very close to conquering it all. Even ships that are 34 years out of date are still pretty darn effective against the latest Fed technology (play "Second Wave" and "Boldly They Rode" if you don't believe me). Then why the hell is all we see about them just a backward fleet that gets whisled back into the Gamma Quadrant in no time? What do the Dominion do with the, lets say, 2400 ships that survived this incident? That must be a massive boost to their forces!

In short, there is so much potential about the Dominion with the games current direction? Why not use this? Devs, why not use this to start making money? Kinda confused about that.

And don't start nagging about that poll. I voted DS9, Voyager won after like 4 minutes of polling. Lets have another poll and give us the time to discuss the poll in threats. Announce it, allow threats, then open the poll. Some people have mindlessly voted for the series with the worst finale of them all (ok, Enterprise, although being a great series, had a louzy ending as well that just could have been forgotten).

The Gamma Quadrant beckons. It is up to us to go there and see what lies beyond the wormhole.
  • seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm personally very excited to explore the Delta quadrant. As I said before in another thread, going to the Gamma quadrant will have much less of an impact on the Star Trek fans looking for ways to feel like they are a part of the show.

The Delta quadrant has a lot of solid content that the devs can use to make people feel as if they're a part of Star Trek, while in the Gamma quadrant, they'll have to make a bunch of stuff up. Considering how people react to things like Cryptic starships (Odyssey? Avenger?) as well as their races (the Deferi?), I can't really blame them for wanting to flesh out the Delta quadrant first.

People whine whenever they try to take a step outside of what appeared in the shows. Which is really sad, in my opinion, because I'd like to see more of that. Star Trek is about exploration and diversity, yet we sneer and complain every time we're confronted with that. The Deferi are not out of place is this universe, nor are things like the Odyssey or the Avenger. They may not be the Trek we know, but the galaxy is a big place.

Do I think original content should become the main focus of the game? Certainly not. But y'know what? Adding an original race or starship here and there is not the end of the world.

(Rant over, sorry!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would definitely like to see the return of more alien-of-the-week races. Yes, a lot of them were boring. But it'd be a nice sort of call back to the TV show. I personally LOVE that the Acamarians are in the game. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Personally, I think the Gamma and Delta Quads are coming into this game too soon. We're not even half done with backstory for Alpha and Beta Quadrant races.

I made a thread over here for a potential story arc leading to the end of the FED-KDF War in a follow up to the Caitian Diaspora/Unforgiven of Ferasa Doff Chain missions.

And that's just the Caitians and the Ferasans! What about the Tellarites? The Rigelians? How did the Pakleds manage to steal the space short bus? Where's the First Federation? The Sheliak? What's going on with the Gorn Rebellion that S'Tass wants to stir up? Is Cestus III in danger in Gamma Orionis?

There's still alot of story opportunities in our backdoor still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!