test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

That's IT! I'm taking a break from the game!

brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
I don't wanna, but it's REALLY making my hands and wrists hurt.
Is this game playable with a gamepad?
Post edited by brewtolomus on

Comments

• latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You can always rebind your keys if the defaults are in a uncomfortable position.

I know STO works with my joystick, so i would assume you could configure it to work with a gamepad, although i doubt it'd have enough buttons:confused:
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is, but not very well. I use a program called x-padder to let me remap the buttons on the Keyboard, but i still use the mouse way to often, so it's not as practical as it could be.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I dont know about gamepads, but I use a Razor Nostromo, and remapped its keys to handle movement... works great... most of the time I don't end up using the keyboard anylonger.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    You can always rebind your keys if the defaults are in a uncomfortable position.

I know STO works with my joystick, so i would assume you could configure it to work with a gamepad, although i doubt it'd have enough buttons:confused:

Actually, a joystick would be preferable.
    Who make decent ones these days? The last time I had one, it was awesome, for the 6 weeks that it actually worked.
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Would an Xbox 360 /PS3 controller work well with STO?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This game is very much unplayable with a gamepad. Requires too many buttons. My suggestion is that you rebind everything.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you are having hand and wrist pains a console like game pad is going make things worse not better.
    I'm using a steelseries merc stealth keyboard, it has a built in gaming pad that groups the controls in a really nice place. An mmo mouse is good if you can remember what all the buttons do, the Nostromo n52 is good, The Razor Orb Weaver looks really good.
    Rebinding keys to better locations and creating macro key combos would probably be the best approach, also get some of those gelfoam wrist supports.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can I have your st... er, wait, you're coming back.

Can I borrow your stuff? :D

Myself, I'm thinking about a flight stick. You have buttons on that, and then you can rebind whatever else you need to it's easier on your hands.

But then, I suck at game pads, so maybe I'm biased against them.

Maybe you already know about this, but I find you can just ditch having individual weapons in the hotbar. Just have abilities there, and use the space bar to fire phasers and control + space to fire torpedoes.

You could also use voice command macros. ;)
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    Can I have your st... er, wait, you're coming back.

Can I borrow your stuff? :D

Myself, I'm thinking about a flight stick. You have buttons on that, and then you can rebind whatever else you need to it's easier on your hands.

But then, I suck at game pads, so maybe I'm biased against them.

Maybe you already know about this, but I find you can just ditch having individual weapons in the hotbar. Just have abilities there, and use the space bar to fire phasers and control + space to fire torpedoes.

You could also use voice command macros. ;)

It's my left hand mostly, the WASD steering thingy that is really causing the pain...gotta turn hard to port a lot, apparently.
    Pretty severe pain along the left pinky finger and down to the wrist. I love this game, but I won't keep playing like this. The carpal tunnel wrist brace helps but it only relieves the symptoms, doesn't do anything to address the cause... gotta get a better keyboard and mouse I reckon.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's my left hand mostly, the WASD steering thingy that is really causing the pain...gotta turn hard to port a lot, apparently.
    Pretty severe pain along the left pinky finger and down to the wrist. I love this game, but I won't keep playing like this. The carpal tunnel wrist brace helps but it only relieves the symptoms, doesn't do anything to address the cause... gotta get a better keyboard and mouse I reckon.
    I hate WASD. I use the arrow keys. You know, like they did 10,000 years ago when video games were invented. I remapped WASD to redirect power to shield facings.
    Arrow keys or flight stick should help.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't wanna, but it's REALLY making my hands and wrists hurt.
    Is this game playable with a gamepad?

and? so what? and there fore.. what?

if the keyb position or your less then ergonomic position is a problem, adjust it otherwise playing other mmos will be the same deal.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've rebound my keys so many times to find the perfect ergonomic and efficient set-up for myself that I actually have it all memorized if for whatever reason the input gets corrupted and I have to do it all over again.

I use a Logitech trackman trackball mouse. Yes, I'm one of those weird people who prefers trackballs to traditional mice or touchpads. I use a combination of the mouse and keyboard in space, with most of the mouse commands used to pan the camera.

On ground I have everything bound on the left side of the keyboard so that I can participate in ground combat and do everything with my left hand alone. With the WSAD keys as the center, everything you can do on the ground I have bound nearby so only a few keystrokes without needing to reach (I use Shift and Control liberally with my ground keybinds), and the mouse exists solely for precise targeting (when I need it), and for panning the camera.

It also helps to have macros. For instance my shields automatically redistribute to all facings whenever my weapons go off.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hate WASD. I use the arrow keys. You know, like they did 10,000 years ago when video games were invented. I remapped WASD to redirect power to shield facings.
    Arrow keys or flight stick should help.

used arrow keys once, and then tried wsad one day, wsad is actually a lot easier to used with a keyb/mouse setup. it also gives greater freedom for most of the keys on the left side as well.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How about thought control headset? About time we had that I think ;)

They're already working on it, allegedly. They're trying to hack Stephen Hawking's brain before the final muscle in his body stops functioning (he communicates entirely by a single cheek muscle now), which would result in him going into 'locked-in' syndrome. Fully conscious and aware but unable to communicate in any fashion.

He's the most prolific of the project, but they're working on adapting this to a number of uses (coma patients, etc.).
    ExtxpTp.jpg