test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battlezone Farmers. Trying to raise the dev's awareness

schnirselschnirsel Member Posts: 98 Arc User
It's starting to get out of hand. Most of the time when I head into the Battlezone and the v-rexes appear many people just deliver two or three shots at a rex and then head to the next one, deliver two or three shots at him and then run to the last one.. well you get the picture.
These guys then just wait at the Command center until poor sods like me kill the rex.
They are making others do the work for them, so they can get maximum reward for minimum work.
The people who actually stay and kill one rex get punished doing so by getting just one dil reward.
In fact, as these guys "were" involved in fighting several rexes they seem to get more dil for doing less work. I've tried this out. You can get about 4k dil this way, while people who fight the normal way get 1k at most.

So now for the proposal:
Deliver dilithium rewards for time spent fighting a v-rex. Make them higher the longer you were involved in fighting one. The longer you fight one, the more you should get. If you start running away before the rex is dead, you should get nothing! Yes nothing. It's disruptive behaviour that shouldn't be rewarded. Similar to afking in STF's before the penalty was introduced.
Also, the reward for capturing zones should be increased and added in the final "score" once the entire zone has been captured. So people who actually capture points get more rewards.

The way it is now a certain behaviour pattern is encouraged. Some people just switch zones until they find one that is about to spawn the v-rexes. And then they do the aforementioned strategy to get 3k-4k dilithium for doing next to nothing. Effectivly exploiting the system.

Don't get me wrong though. I don't want the dil rewards nerfed. I want a system that encourages the people to actually work for it and not exploit the system's weaknesses so they can grab what they can and make others work for them.

Tl;dr
Too many people exploiting the dilithium rewards for killing v-rexes makes things harder for honest players. Introduce a system that benefits honest players and punish those who just farm it.
6pvmjHk.gif
Post edited by schnirsel on

Comments

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Another (IMO better) solution is to stagger the v-rexes, so they're NOT all at the same time. Allow players to actually engage and kill ONE before the next appears, so they may then rush over and legitimately participate in killing the next.

But, if I had my way they'd be removed from the game entirely. Worst addition ever.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When it's V-Rex time, I'm usually the one tanking it. I gotta say... I really don't care what the farmers do. If there's at least 3 of us, we can take the V-Rex down and usually have time for our troops to help take down another one. If it gets someone more loot, so be it.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I always end up sprinting aimlessly all over the map trying to find the V-rexes. Most days, I'm lucky to show up just in time to see it die. :mad: I'm sure I'm just expected to memorize the map and recognize the patterns and waypoints of the mission, and I'm also certain that this would not be nearly worth the effort for the rewards I usually get.

That map needs a "teleport to V-rex" option BADLY, similar to the mid-point of "the breach" where it regroups everyone.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    schnirsel wrote: »
    Tl;dr
    Too many people exploiting the dilithium rewards for killing v-rexes makes things harder for honest players. Introduce a system that benefits honest players and punish those who just farm it.

It was a REALLY poor design choice to not only backload the rewards, but to tie the level of reward to the number of boss fights you participate in, rather than the number of points you helped to flip.

They may not be able to track that, though.
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I always end up sprinting aimlessly all over the map trying to find the V-rexes. Most days, I'm lucky to show up just in time to see it die. :mad: I'm sure I'm just expected to memorize the map and recognize the patterns and waypoints of the mission, and I'm also certain that this would not be nearly worth the effort for the rewards I usually get.

When in doubt, Outskirts. You can practically shoot the V-Rex from the teleporter location, so if you can make it to any of the teleporters, you can usually make the boss fight.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It was a REALLY poor design choice to not only backload the rewards, but to tie the level of reward to the number of boss fights you participate in, rather than the number of points you helped to flip.

The farming would stop if you actually got rewards based on what you actually contributed to the mission. Then again these people would say its a rigged system and unfair if they actually had to do something to get rewards :)

Although yeah takes 30 seconds longer to get to city than the others its not a game breaker though.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Really they ought to do the reward to a combination of if you participated in capturing zones in all three regions rather than just Rex fighting. Won't totally prevent people from jumping around, but at least they'll have to participate some if they want the big reward.
    edited December 2013
    The farming would stop if you actually got rewards based on what you actually contributed to the mission. Then again these people would say its a rigged system and unfair if they actually had to do something to get rewards :)

I think using "farming" or "exploiting" as a stand-in for "behavior I don't like" doesn't really help. If rewards were based on participation in flipping sites, for example, the battlezone might actually become an *even better* place to farm, in terms of the speed at which zones turn over because everyone is incented to participate.

So really we should call this proposal the "help improve battlezone farming rewards for everyone" plan.

That should really be the key to the whole thing - the current system incentivizes poor behavior, and penalizes correct behavior. Someone who dutifully stays at their post sniping medics to keep an Omega silo clear until enough assistance shows up for them to go after the V-Rex should not receive less of a reward than Zappy McFrostyboots who snapped off a few shots at each of the 3 sites while skidding around the zone like a greased targ.
  • warehouse67warehouse67 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wouldn't the easiest way of fixing it be to make it that you only got the reward for killing the V-Rex if you are actually in the area with the V-Rex when it dies.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sigh...

Farmers always seem to find a way. I, for one, really dislike doing work for others. I say they apply an AFK Penalty to ALL zones. Including the battlezone...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited December 2013
    Wouldn't the easiest way of fixing it be to make it that you only got the reward for killing the V-Rex if you are actually in the area with the V-Rex when it dies.

Until you lose credit because you got stomped by a V-Rex, respawned, and it died while you were running back to rejoin the fight?

You exchange one problem for another.
  • warehouse67warehouse67 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fair point, but I think it would be less of a problem. If you are not soloing the Rex you could just get someone to res you rather than respawning. Alternatively, how about you have to the same sector (city, park or outskirts) to get the reward, iirc you respawn at the teleporter for the sector where you died right?.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is there also an accolade for participating in all 3 Wrex battles?
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fair point, but I think it would be less of a problem. If you are not soloing the Rex you could just get someone to res you rather than respawning. Alternatively, how about you have to the same sector (city, park or outskirts) to get the reward, iirc you respawn at the teleporter for the sector where you died right?.

Getting a res from a fellow player would be great, but in my experience you have a better chance at getting a heal from the Voth than from a fellow player. Most players act like healing another player will get them fined.
  • kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And again, the whiners ask Cryptic to nerf the game. If you want to know why the game gets nerfed so much, just look in the mirror.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kemcha wrote: »
    And again, the whiners ask Cryptic to nerf the game. If you want to know why the game gets nerfed so much, just look in the mirror.

Who has asked for a game nerf? Not being critical, just genuinely curious. I haven't seen that.
    edited December 2013

Still, I think trying to tweak how it counts participation in the boss encounters is looking at the wrong problem, ie, why is participation in the boss encounters and not the various capture points the metric for rewards in the first place?
    edited December 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    Who has asked for a game nerf? Not being critical, just genuinely curious. I haven't seen that.

Didn't you get the memo? All game changes are nerfs. We can never have nice things - it's a rule.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013

It's ties more to the number of capture points you get, although the V-Rex dil rewards are nice.
    Is there also an accolade for participating in all 3 Wrex battles?

For killing all 3, but it doesn't have to be in the same instance.
    edited December 2013
    lucho80 wrote: »
    It's ties more to the number of capture points you get, although the V-Rex dil rewards are nice.

It does? I've never seen the number of capture points I was at affect the zone complete reward level.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It does? I've never seen the number of capture points I was at affect the zone complete reward level.
    you get rewards for captures as you go not at the end.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Keep complaining about Battlezone and you'll find Cryptic announcing plans to have a 20 hour CD in effect for Battlezone. This is what happened to Kerret's dilithium farming where it used to be unlimited. Then, somebody complained, Cryptic applied a 20 hour CD for Kerret until eventually even that daily was removed.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That doesn't mean it wasn't being abused. It just means Cryptic are too lazy to address the problem, so they kill it with fire and move on to adding fricking dinosaurs with frickin -- oh, wait, they already did that.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I run from rex to rex... but I wait until others show up. Sometimes I don't make it to all three but there is a time element involved already. If you just tag all the rex's and go to command you will get the 480 for each rex but get a reduced amount for saving all three like in the 1200 range. If you go to all three and kill them you get the 480 for each and a final 3600 but you have to be present at at least two of the kills... most of the time if you are running around a finish the rex's and kill 2 (meaning present in that zone when they die) you end up with about 2160 for the final. So the reward does scale for the amount of time you spend with each rex so if you just shoot and run you aren't getting the full reward.

My partner and I tested various combinations including whether you didn't any capture points in the zone first, etc to see how to maximize the reward. I've run hundreds times already across 14 toons and can tell you that the more participate the more you earn.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I usually do a variation on this (mainly because I didn't know simply landing a few shots WORKED :D) I wait for one to spawn in one of the three districts, kill it, then make a mad sprawling dash to the other two, hoping they live long enough for me to start fighting THEM.