test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mars One announces satellite and lander

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
Here is your Mars One update:

note - ( Who out there is part of the 200,000 that want to go to Mars? You know it's a oneway trip right?)

The company aiming to send humans on a one-way Mars trip is set to launch a robotic mission by 2018.

With more than 200,000 applicants signed up for a one-way ticket to Mars, the ambitious Mars One project has been at the receiving end of a fair amount of skepticism since announcing its intentions to have humans living and working on the Red Planet by as early as 2024.

The seemingly infeasible goal has done little to dampen the company's enthusiasm however as this week Mars One have announced plans to send a robotic mission to Mars within just four years.

The mission is aimed at testing out the technologies that will be needed to send humans to Mars and will consist of a lander and a communications satellite. Aerospace company Lockheed Martin will be working on the lander while UK-based company Surrey Satellites has been contracted to work on the satellite.

Mars One CEO Bas Lansdorp described the endeavor as "the first step in Mars One's overall plan of establishing a permanent human settlement on Mars." If it goes ahead then it will already be entering the record books as the first ever privately funded mission to another planet.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/10/robotic-mission-to-mars-one-space-colony
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2013
    One-way? This can't end well.

Why not establish a base on the moon first? Plenty of opportunity to train, learn, improve, and prepare, but a lot closer to home if rescue is needed. If I recall correctly, Apollo was to the moon in 4 days. Today's tech might reduce that time.

I'd almost wish for a small space station outpost at half the distance to Mars. Some place from where a rescue shuttle could be dispatched with a reduced response time.

Progress is a great thing, but at this stage, so are baby steps.

Also, don't let anyone with the last names of Greene or Paxton go to Mars. It will ultimately be better that way, trust me. ;)
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One-way? This can't end well.

It's at least partially to be funded by a reality show - imagine what happens when the ratings tank midseason.

But I've given my ethical opinions on this plenty of times.

The "good" news for anyone who goes is that they won't have to worry about a baby wiping out the food surplus or too many emotional issues getting in the way. They've been a bit quiet on the subject lately, but earlier this year they discussed how chemical or surgical castration would probably be necessary to prevent accidental births and stabilize the emotional dynamics of having a mixed gender group in incredibly confined space for much longer than any of the Biosphere missions lasted (and many of the people in those eventually went batty and turned on each other).

And as much as much as giving up such a treasured piece of yourself for the chance probably turns people off, I actually think that might be one of the better thought out parts of the whole plan.
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    (and many of the people in those eventually went batty and turned on each other).

Wasn't that caused by lack of oxygen? With said lack of oxygen caused by concrete that was still curing (which did so by extracting the oxygen within the dome to the point that the crew inside was having a hard time with mental functions)?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • my1alts2alt3my1alts2alt3 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    http://www.mars-one.com/en/

Participate in our 2018 mission

Our crowdfunding campaign is live and Mars One is now inviting you into the mission! What is our mission? Mars One will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. Unmanned missions will prepare a habitable living environment. Crews of four will depart every two years, starting in 2024. Our first unmanned spacecraft will land on Mars in 2018. Participate in this mission to Mars through our crowdfunding campaign.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When we finally get a mars base, something tells me it won't be Mars One that builds it.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    Wasn't that caused by lack of oxygen? With said lack of oxygen caused by concrete that was still curing (which did so by extracting the oxygen within the dome to the point that the crew inside was having a hard time with mental functions)?

Actuallly, the concrete was taking CO2 out of the air, not oxygen. But yes, oxygen did dip during the first mission.

It's been offered as a possibility, but it's simply not possible as a root cause - the first team only turned on each other after the management team decided to externally regulate oxygen levels, and the second team never experienced an oxygen dip but still started down the same path of fracturing into paranoid rival subgroups before the mission was cancelled. Columbia University's first mission was externally regulated from the start, but still went south so fast they halted any missions longer than one semester. As far as I know University of Arizona hasn't started or announced any closed system missions.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    Can I still play STO from Mars? :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can I still play STO from Mars? :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You'd have three options:

1.) Play with 22 minutes' lag. Each way. Expect lots of disconnects.

2.) Bring your own server cluster to run the game for you. And some friends, so you can actually do stuff.

3.) Invent subspace communication. We'll want this if we're to boldly go where no one has gone before, anyway.
  • my1alts2alt3my1alts2alt3 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One-way is going to be disaster, providing they can't even get that far in the first place.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When we finally get a mars base, something tells me it won't be Mars One that builds it.

Well, it sure as all hell ain't gonna be NASA either.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • shizashane#4465 shizashane Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find this notion of one way to mars intriguing. Lots of hurdles to be over come. I also find it hard to believe that this mars rover they are sending is going to help build the first pieces of the base. But we have over come great feats before so I will have some faith for those brave men and women that go there.
    *(How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life)*
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Well, it sure as all hell ain't gonna be NASA either.

Not at this rate no. :(
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Harry Kim said it doesn't happen until 2103. Here's hoping he's wrong. I think this is the sort of thing to get people excited about space exploration again.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I file this in the same category as that guy that was going to build a city sized ocean liner. That went nowhere and I doubt this will either.
    Either way, yikes, imagine being trapped for the rest of your life with the same small group of people talking about the same things in the same small bunch of rooms eating the same bland food smelling the same smells with nothing around you but the same walls surrounded by rust colored sand and no hope for anything different ever until the day you die. That doesn't sound like an adventure to me, that sounds like a preview of hell.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC