test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Facing a Dilemma

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Okay, so a little background maybe? I joined as a member to this game a few weeks after F2P launched. I joined as a F2P member without the intention of subscription, though I did put a bit of money in to the game where needed (bank & inventory slots, in addition to some zen>dilithium exchange and the dreaded lock boxes (or rather, master keys)).

This past summer (specifically, June) there was a lifetime subscription sale, and (figuring that I'd be here a while) I thought it was a worthy investment, so I purchased one and became such a member. Probably not the best investment I've ever made, cause I'm not a fan of any Veteran ship, and I don't have that many characters (will get to that next).

Since I started with this game, I believe I've had (over my duration here) about ten Federation characters, six Klingon characters and four Romulan characters. These are the ones that I've at least leveled up to #50 and kitted them out.

I'm currently running with four; my main (a Fed), a Klingon, a KDF-aligned Romulan and a new Fed who I've had for about a week, though haven't took him above level #3 yet. The other three are all level #50.

Now, with the continual grind (I understand that by the way, I'm not here complaining) and the repetitive content, I'm finding it hard to remain interested. I have done for a long while now (so much so that I took a break, only came back for Christmas and I'm already getting bored). That said, I've decided to cut back on my characters and stick with two.

I'm a Cruiser player. I prefer beams to cannons, I prefer less damage dealing and lasting longer in battles. My Romulan will soon be biting the dust (after four attempts, I just can't grow to like a mini faction), though I'm currently unsure as to what to do with regard to my two remaining characters and I thought I'd come by here for ... advice

My Federation Engineer (main) is built (I think) as a Tank/Healer. My Klingon Engineer is built as a Damage/Tank. I've created this second Federation character with the initial intention of replacing my Klingon. I figure Federation get all the toys, and there are less bugs (marauding reward officer for example). The lack of KDF ships doesn't bother me, as I've always been happy enough with the ship selection (I've never purchased a Fed ship either); I'm quite content with what we've already got though levels.

My question though, is this: Do I keep my KDF and remove my 2nd FED, or do I keep my 2nd FED and do away with my KDF. Short of the Cloak (which I never care to use) and the new raider ability, (which I wont use) there is no real difference between the Red side in comparison to the Blue (apart from the obvious species and ships).

What to do? :(
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    there is no real difference between the Red side in comparison to the Blue (apart from the obvious species and ships).

the big advantage to the kdf is the farming of contraband. Use your kdf to farm this for your fed.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    the big advantage to the kdf is the farming of contraband. Use your kdf to farm this for your fed.
    I'm not a huge fan of farming/grinding. Besides, I'm in no rush to acquire loads of Contraband or Dilithium. I'm a casual player at best, I don't need all the money in the world to outfit my ships to their maximum potential. That doesn't interest me at the moment. I'm just casually building up characters and working my way (slowly) through the reputation projects.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Insane idea: Use your monthly stipend to buy additional character slots.:D I hate to delete characters I spent time on.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That said, I've decided to cut back on my characters and stick with two.

[...]

My question though, is this: Do I keep my KDF and remove my 2nd FED, or do I keep my 2nd FED and do away with my KDF. Short of the Cloak (which I never care to use) and the new raider ability, (which I wont use) there is no real difference between the Red side in comparison to the Blue (apart from the obvious species and ships).

Well, if you'd like my opinion, it's not to drop all your characters and just have two. There's no reason to dump characters unless you've not got room on your roster. And unless you've just levelled some to 50 and then forgotten about them, presumably some work has gone into the many grinds that the game offers - Omega Reps etc.

Rather than deleting them (which is what I assume you intend to do), leave them. Focus on your two characters, by all means. I do the same - I have 3/4 mains on a roster of nine (currently). But I occasionally work on the Alts and sooner or later i'll be doing the Omega/Nukara/Rom/Dyson grinds with them because they'll be the only ones who don't yet have T5 Reps. If you start deleting characters, you'll only have to re-make them, play to 50 and then start the grind all over again should you find your interest reinvigorated in the future.

As to your original question, i'd stick with a Fed and a Klink (or a Rom). Having two characters only from the same faction is likely to contribute to your lack of interest in the game. Ultimately, when it comes down to it, if you take away the things that you mentioned as being unimportant to you, then there isn't much difference between the two sides.

But consider this; the KDF is getting more and more attention these days. Yes, there are still bugs. But with the attention they're getting, those might get fixed.

Might I also suggest taking some time from your normal day when you would be playing STO to play - or do - something else? I occasionally get a bit bored with the grind, so my personal remedy is to lapse back into Minecraft, GTA Online or just about anything else where I can vent my boredom through wanton destruction.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited December 2013
    Insane idea: Use your monthly stipend to buy additional character slots.:D I hate to delete characters I spent time on.
    I have enough character slots already (like 6 or 8), I just can't stay focused with new characters. It's okay when starting off (per faction) but even the later missions are all too similar.

It's a shame you can't sell character slots. I'd make some money back. :P
    johngazman wrote: »
    Well, if you'd like my opinion, it's not to drop all your characters and just have two.
    I value any opinion. ;)
    There's no reason to dump characters unless you've not got room on your roster. And unless you've just levelled some to 50 and then forgotten about them, presumably some work has gone into the many grinds that the game offers - Omega Reps etc.
    As to your original question, i'd stick with a Fed and a Klink (or a Rom). Having two characters only from the same faction is likely to contribute to your lack of interest in the game. Ultimately, when it comes down to it, if you take away the things that you mentioned as being unimportant to you, then there isn't much difference between the two sides.
    I've been thinking about it for the best part of the afternoon/evening, and I figure I'm going to keep both my FEDs, and my KDF. My Romulan can go, I've never been able to stick with the whole mini faction theme, and every Republic character I create eventually suffers defeat via lack of use, or deletion.

Unless a third faction goes independent, I think I'm going to stick with the Red & Blue.
    Might I also suggest taking some time from your normal day when you would be playing STO to play - or do - something else? I occasionally get a bit bored with the grind, so my personal remedy is to lapse back into Minecraft, GTA Online or just about anything else where I can vent my boredom through wanton destruction.
    Hah, I've run out of things to do on GTA Online. I've got a full garage with pimped cars, a Helicopter, a Tank, and 3.3mil still sitting in the bank. Short of rectifying my win-loss ratio via races (of which I'd likely end up losing more) I'm waiting for new content. I'll go on with friends occasionally, cause trouble, hunt a few annoying players down and execute them, but I get bored solo at the moment.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited December 2013

My question though, is this:

So you just made me read a huge wall of text (lifetime/f2p etc) that is absolutely not relevant to the problem at hand? Would have loved to help you on your actual issue. Got bored out in between. Sorry.
    edited December 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    So you just made me read a huge wall of text (lifetime/f2p etc) that is absolutely not relevant to the problem at hand? Would have loved to help you on your actual issue. Got bored out in between. Sorry.
    You must have a very short attention span if you got bored by that. :P

The story is actually related to the problem in the sense that, as a lifetime subscriber (a purchase I regret) I'm not able to stay focused on playing the game too much. I need to instead focus on what I do want from this game, and came here for ask advice. :)
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hah, I've run out of things to do on GTA Online. I've got a full garage with pimped cars, a Helicopter, a Tank, and 3.3mil still sitting in the bank. Short of rectifying my win-loss ratio via races (of which I'd likely end up losing more) I'm waiting for new content. I'll go on with friends occasionally, cause trouble, hunt a few annoying players down and execute them, but I get bored solo at the moment.

Tried the Content Creator? It's still in Beta and from what i've experienced so far, very few people seem inclined to try the UGC that's been constructed thus far, but it's interesting.
    Would have loved to help you on your actual issue. Got bored out in between. Sorry.

Yes, this was totally worth you posting to tell us. Thank you.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Okay, so a little background maybe? I joined as a member to this game a few weeks after F2P launched. I joined as a F2P member without the intention of subscription, though I did put a bit of money in to the game where needed (bank & inventory slots, in addition to some zen>dilithium exchange and the dreaded lock boxes (or rather, master keys)).

This past summer (specifically, June) there was a lifetime subscription sale, and (figuring that I'd be here a while) I thought it was a worthy investment, so I purchased one and became such a member. Probably not the best investment I've ever made, cause I'm not a fan of any Veteran ship, and I don't have that many characters (will get to that next).

Since I started with this game, I believe I've had (over my duration here) about ten Federation characters, six Klingon characters and four Romulan characters. These are the ones that I've at least leveled up to #50 and kitted them out.

I'm currently running with four; my main (a Fed), a Klingon, a KDF-aligned Romulan and a new Fed who I've had for about a week, though haven't took him above level #3 yet. The other three are all level #50.

Now, with the continual grind (I understand that by the way, I'm not here complaining) and the repetitive content, I'm finding it hard to remain interested. I have done for a long while now (so much so that I took a break, only came back for Christmas and I'm already getting bored). That said, I've decided to cut back on my characters and stick with two.

I'm a Cruiser player. I prefer beams to cannons, I prefer less damage dealing and lasting longer in battles. My Romulan will soon be biting the dust (after four attempts, I just can't grow to like a mini faction), though I'm currently unsure as to what to do with regard to my two remaining characters and I thought I'd come by here for ... advice

My Federation Engineer (main) is built (I think) as a Tank/Healer. My Klingon Engineer is built as a Damage/Tank. I've created this second Federation character with the initial intention of replacing my Klingon. I figure Federation get all the toys, and there are less bugs (marauding reward officer for example). The lack of KDF ships doesn't bother me, as I've always been happy enough with the ship selection (I've never purchased a Fed ship either); I'm quite content with what we've already got though levels.

I am in exactly the same boat, I can't get interested enough since they launched Season 8 and it seemed like such a complete waste of time to develop it, I too have been unable to login much at all.

I am a huge Star Trek fan since TOS but the way STO is taking Star Trek and the federation I just can not seem to find any desire to play any more...sad but true.:(
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wouldn't delete any characters, unless I had an idea for a better one.

Even if you don't play it ever, and only visit once a day to cycle doffs around they can still be a valuable asset.

However, I also completely understand how the OP would enjoy concentraing on just two characters.

I say, just pick the two you fancy now and play those.

If you delete the others, you gain nothing.

However, if you don't delete them, then you have a nice steady source of dilithium and other goodies to prop up your main characters.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You must have a very short attention span if you got bored by that. :P

The story is actually related to the problem in the sense that, as a lifetime subscriber (a purchase I regret) I'm not able to stay focused on playing the game too much. I need to instead focus on what I do want from this game, and came here for ask advice. :)

Ok, I'm sorry for my reply. It was a bit harsh. Nevertheless I'm still convinced that a third of the information would have easily sufficed. Being lifetime or not doesn't make any difference to your current situation at all .

Anyway, concerning your question I can see the dilemma you're in. I believe this is a question you can only answer yourself. Pick the two characters you enjoy playing the most. In case you want to do away with your Klingon I'd say just stop playing it and wait with deleting. Just in case you regret the decision one day. At least you'll still have it then.
  • mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I got bored of repeating the same story episodes with a new character, so I ended up leveling (mostly) by doing Sector Patrols. It keeps it fresh and interesting because they are short (10-15 minutes) and a mixture of combat and tricorder scanning.

It's also actually faster to level this way.

Try that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Tried the Content Creator? It's still in Beta and from what i've experienced so far, very few people seem inclined to try the UGC that's been constructed thus far, but it's interesting.
    I haven't, no. I try to stay away from all things in Alpha/Beta stages and usually wait for the final product. That said, might be a good way for me to come back on my races if I create a few tracks that I'll know the routes on. ;)
    I am in exactly the same boat, I can't get interested enough since they launched Season 8 and it seemed like such a complete waste of time to develop it, I too have been unable to login much at all.
    I somewhat lost interest before Season 8 came about; the Dev Blogs and such introducing Season 8 didn't appeal to me before release, and the content doesn't appeal to me now either (after it's been released). I figure that they went too strong on the poll votes. Season 8 can't have been that great with their figures. It's the only season I've not seen people rave about.
    I am a huge Star Trek fan since TOS but the way STO is taking Star Trek and the federation I just can not seem to find any desire to play any more...sad but true.
    It is clear to me that STO doesn't follow true to what should be Trek, but then this is a game, and I think, to make it work, they have to have deviated a little bit. There's only so much they could have done to stay true to the source.
    Nevertheless I'm still convinced that a third of the information would have easily sufficed.
    I suppose I may have wrote more than was needed. :rolleyes:
    Being lifetime or not doesn't make any difference to your current situation at all.
    I wouldn't feel so stupid if I hadn't made the lifetime purchase. :P
    I got bored of repeating the same story episodes with a new character, so I ended up leveling (mostly) by doing Sector Patrols. It keeps it fresh and interesting because they are short (10-15 minutes) and a mixture of combat and tricorder scanning.

It's also actually faster to level this way.

Try that.
    I'll give this a try with the newly created Federation Character when I can get in the mood. Thanks for the tip.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is this a Dilemma...or a Diloooooooooma? ;)
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]