test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Cross-Faction Species Idea: Chameloid

orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
For those of you that do not yet know what a Chameloid is, it's a mythical shapeshifting species, apparently far less durable than Changelings.

For those of us that want a shapeshifting character, but know we can't get a Changeling because of how powerful they are, this may be a good substitute. And it's canon too.

For game mechanics, I was thinking that there'd be a base form. This form would be the one that wears the faction's uniform and the one that all of your outfits apply to. But every 10 or so levels, you gain a new form to shapeshift into. It can be any race and sex, but once you pick the race and sex, you can't change it for that form, and have to wait till you unlock the next shapeshifting form. But within that race and sex, you can customize it however you see fit within the parameters of that race/sex's tailor menu option pool.

The new forms would retain your Chameloid's chosen profession and all of its non-kit abilities, but would gain the species trait bonuses from the relevant race. Perhaps in BOFF trait form instead of Captain species trait form so it won't be THAT overpowered. The new form maybe could have a set pool of gear if not retain your default gear. Oh, and if that's too powerful, each form could replace a trait, so you could choose not to have any form, or a lot, or a moderate amount, etc.

And for those of you who are thinking "Well if you just want a shapeshifting character, just make an alien and use one tailor outfit slot for each form". That could work for a lot of us, but 1-it can't make your character change sex, and 2-it has no gameplay functionality.

Just a random idea I'm throwing out here. I tend to do that a lot.

My older suggestion threads (dead threads; do not post in them!)
Orangie's Suggestions - Sub-Factions
Orangie's Suggestions - Fleet Holding
Orangie's Suggestions - Zen Store Gifts
Orangie's Suggestions - Non-Combat Gameplay
Orangie's Suggestions - Celestial & Envoy Saucer Separation
Orangie's Suggestions - Cardassian Faction
Orangie's Suggestions - Klingon Blood Color
Orangie's Suggestions - Mission Pod Slot
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The new forms would retain your Chameloid's chosen profession and all of its non-kit abilities, but would gain the species trait bonuses from the relevant race. Perhaps in BOFF trait form instead of Captain species trait form so it won't be THAT overpowered. The new form maybe could have a set pool of gear if not retain your default gear. Oh, and if that's too powerful, each form could replace a trait, so you could choose not to have any form, or a lot, or a moderate amount, etc.

Or maybe since it's so potentially overpowered it has to be pre-nerfed into oblivion to even make it sound possible, we could take this as evidence why it shouldn't be done and move along to something else? Just sayin', if you've got to nerf it 2 times at the "proposal" stage...
    In the script for Star Trek VI, this species' homeworld is referred to as Arc, a location where Martia states smuggling is "an ancient and respected trade."

...and that's before we even get to "No to ARC in STO!" :D
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Or maybe since it's so potentially overpowered it has to be pre-nerfed into oblivion to even make it sound possible, we could take this as evidence why it shouldn't be done and move along to something else? Just sayin', if you've got to nerf it 2 times at the "proposal" stage...
    It's not "nerfing", it's "changing the idea so it can work". I don't want anything overpowered in-game any more than you do.And this is why I posted it - to get other's thoughts on the idea and opinions on whether certain parts of it might be too powerful or not powerful enough. Feedback and all. I'm not some noob that just up and posted something I'd think would make me pwn all time errytime.

That Arc bit was funny though.
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's easy to make a shapeshifter already. Just make an alien, every costume slot make it look completely different. You can change your appearance completely on the fly.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    It's easy to make a shapeshifter already. Just make an alien, every costume slot make it look completely different. You can change your appearance completely on the fly.
    Yeeeeah... I already addressed that point in the OP.
  • Options
    rhakatheredrhakathered Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    As this is precisely what I did (even kept the golden eyes Martia had), I fully endorse this post. Especially as sex changes on the fly would probably be incredibly hard to code now that the codebase has been expanded for so long.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've pondered shapeshifting as an aspect of Suliban. My best idea was to give you a temporary buff, that makes you take on the appearance of whatever your target is. It'd work kinda like that ground mission that leads up to the Doomsday device episode. The one where you sneak around a planet full of Klingons disguised as a Klingon... they won't shoot you unless either: A you shoot first, or B: a Targ attacks you(the disguise doesn't work ona nimals because they can smell you)

that sounds like it'd be a nice racial trait. It'd be fun to play with in social zones too! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've pondered shapeshifting as an aspect of Suliban. My best idea was to give you a temporary buff, that makes you take on the appearance of whatever your target is. It'd work kinda like that ground mission that leads up to the Doomsday device episode. The one where you sneak around a planet full of Klingons disguised as a Klingon... they won't shoot you unless either: A you shoot first, or B: a Targ attacks you(the disguise doesn't work ona nimals because they can smell you)

that sounds like it'd be a nice racial trait. It'd be fun to play with in social zones too! :D

I agree. Shapeshifting is something that could be a lot of fun, and something that appeared a lot in Star Trek, but is rather underrepresented in this game.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I agree. Shapeshifting is something that could be a lot of fun, and something that appeared a lot in Star Trek, but is rather underrepresented in this game.
    This. Do we even see a changeling disguise itself? Hell, the Undine seem to do it more, and it seems they use holographic tech to do it(not sure on that)
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I thought I would assume a pleasing shape.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can't believe I kissed you
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the suliban cabal will use any genetic tricks to achieve their aims and shapeshifting is just one of a long line of enhancements. if you follow that whole thing along the suliban would be op because suliban can shapeshift at will and change appearance for as long as it's needed, so imagine a suliban agent using a federation apperance, human look as well. to the other humans he wouldn't be noticed until shot the back to one of the other humans and then the suliban would climb an air vent to another location. a group of them can infiltrate a command center in 5 seconds and make off with it's captain. then you got suliban who can survive in spacethey could have anything.

shapeshifting race? no.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I can't believe I kissed you

It must have been your lifelong ambition
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This. Do we even see a changeling disguise itself? Hell, the Undine seem to do it more, and it seems they use holographic tech to do it(not sure on that)

Plus, the tension coming from a "hide and seek" game with those kind of things would be amusing.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    some of the eps with changelings have the changeling take on the form of an inanimate object to try to ambush you. Erm... well... the "Contemplating Captains" part of Of Bajor does anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, only some shapeshifters can imitate inanimate objects. AFAIK Suliban can't, and Chameloids can't. It'd actually be a tolerable retcon if they retconned Marta to be a Suliban. This of course would mean that Chameloid was simply another name for the Suliban race.

Anyways though, the Founders aren't the only race that can do that. Vendorians can too. The Vendor system exists in STO.

The list is surprisingly long. Although it is a collection of both organic faces that can rearrange their body structure, and energy based races that can take on the appearance of an organic lifeform.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I think threat reduction or actually inheriting faction temporarily could be a fun mechanic.

My one proviso is that Klingons get Chameloids (which seem to be a subject species) while Federation get Allasomorphs. Romulans get Sulliban shapeshifters.

Maybe a version of the power gets released as a purchaseable or lockbox trait as Cellular Regeneration, Garth of Izar's learned shapeshifting power that could be taught to non-shapeshifting species.

The interesting part is not just the visual but the ability to move around and possibly even interact with enemy NPCs.

Borg and Undine would be immune to the disguise effect because of their cybernetic/telepathic abilities and empaths/telepaths might get a bonus perception to seeing through it.

I think it could be handled similar to cloak in space. Shields dropped when using it. Take bonus damage if spotted. Cancelled by mission dialogues.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Nah. They replicate the target down to the atomic level, using their subatomic DNA. The disguise is so complete that some Undine forget they're Undine.
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    watching STV atm why don't they make the Kazon a faction?

they seem to have different kinds of ships and who doesn't want that hair doo. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Because the Kazon are losers that even the Borg wouldn't have in their collective?
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Because the Kazon are losers that even the Borg wouldn't have in their collective?

well we can't play borg as a faction.

guess they're the losers? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]