test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deep Space Encounters 2.0

icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
I was on Skype with a good friend of mine, @InputEnd. We were chatting what we wanted, he proposed this. We talked a lot on this, and I think it's a good idea. So, I introduce to the STO devs and community... Deep Space Encounters 2.0!

So, the new system is simple. Flying through Sector Space, you'll get Distress Signals (how you do for the Borg Red Alerts, but with a different icon). The distress signals will be freighters, under attack by forces in the region (or just Klingons). You go in, and one of two things will happen. One will be a PvE mission where you'll have to fight off the raiders. Doing so gives some Dilithium Ore, some expertise, and some loot. The KDF version of this mission is to raid the freighter yourself, which also rewards the stuff you steal from the freighter (commodities, small chance of equipment, and Prisoners).

The second variant is more fun - PvP. This occurs (sometimes, not all the time) if a player from the opposing faction, and of similar or equal level, goes into the distress signal as well. You get the objective to "hail" the other player (like a vote system). The Fed player has the choice of attacking the KDF ship, or offering a truce. The KDF ship stands down, and they can both leave (or the KDF ship can choose to withdrawal - either way, the following happens). This grants half the reward of the other option - a one-chance PvP, winner take all.

This gives an interesting dynamic - do you want to guarantee yourself rewards, or do you want to gamble for DOUBLE rewards. As said, this is a one-off. If you lose, you fail the mission. If you win, double rewards. Players must be on their toes - to fight, or to run. Are you READY for the potential fight? May factors go into fight or flight, if you get a PvP instance. It'd make for an interesting, and very Star Trek-like, dynamic for Sector Space.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lol, Miranda class comes to the aid of a freighter, Negh'var warps in...

Miranda captain gulps "Please don't kill me"

Klingon captain "Bwahahaha, we are at war! Goodbye puny starfleet captain!"

Err... yeah...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    Why not 2 alert buttons, one says PvP and one does not. Hit the PvP alert button as FED and you defend and hit it as KDF you attack it.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Oh, another "I want to grief" posts ... open PvP? happens and I quit, end of story.

Seriously? Why would you ever have to pvp? No one will ever make you pvp in this game...ever...
  • Options
    sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't generally like pvp, but I think this is a good idea. It's very close to some of the things that happened in actual episodes. I don't think it need be limited by level, except in cases where the levels are vastly different (eg. more than 15 levels between them). A lvl 35 cruiser might be able to hold off a lvl 50 BoP long enough to warp out, but a lvl 45 cruiser would have a much better chance of winning. And I think that would add a new and exciting dynamic to the game - especially if you're allowed to call for npc re-inforcements to help defeat a vastly superior foe (like you do when that Undine dreadnaught shows up in your second ever mission), so that 35v50 matches aren't a one-way street.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    lol, Miranda class comes to the aid of a freighter, Negh'var warps in...

Miranda captain gulps "Please don't kill me"

Klingon captain "Bwahahaha, we are at war! Goodbye puny starfleet captain!"

Err... yeah...
    You must have glanced over the post. From the 3rd paragraph:
    if a player from the opposing faction, and of similar or equal level
    You don't get a level 1 vs a level 50. I was thinking a 3-5 level gap.
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Why not 2 alert buttons, one says PvP and one does not. Hit the PvP alert button as FED and you defend and hit it as KDF you attack it.
    You get the idea. Good. But two buttons is a good idea, and may address the next issue someone brought up.
    Oh, another "I want to grief" posts ... open PvP? happens and I quit, end of story.
    Open PvP? No. It's entirely OPTIONAL, it's not ALL OVER the galaxy. It's one off, it's rare, and it doesn't start unless both players consent. If you offer a truce and they decline, you can always retreat and try another one. You're not forced to do anything. This isn't "Open" PvP, it's just new content with a PvP OPTION. Though, I suppose it's a good idea to have an option for opting out of the PvP. Like choosing PvE or PvP, as "jetwtf" said above you.
    I don't generally like pvp, but I think this is a good idea. It's very close to some of the things that happened in actual episodes. I don't think it need be limited by level, except in cases where the levels are vastly different (eg. more than 15 levels between them). A lvl 35 cruiser might be able to hold off a lvl 50 BoP long enough to warp out, but a lvl 45 cruiser would have a much better chance of winning. And I think that would add a new and exciting dynamic to the game - especially if you're allowed to call for npc re-inforcements to help defeat a vastly superior foe (like you do when that Undine dreadnaught shows up in your second ever mission), so that 35v50 matches aren't a one-way street.

If it weren't level-limited, people WOULD get those superior forces. And in some cases, those superior forces can one-shot anyone low-level. You really do need a level limit. By the time those reinforcements spawn, you're dead and the mission fails.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    icegavel wrote: »
    You must have glanced over the post.

(QUOTE)

From the 3rd paragraph:
    You don't get a level 1 vs a level 50. I was thinking a 3-5 level gap.

Ahh, I missed that, thanks :) Good idea then :P
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thats the whole point, I dont.

Okay. If you don't want to PvP, take the PvE option and opt out of it. Like I said, TOTALLY optional. And I think you misunderstand the definition of Open PvP. That's where, no matter where you are or what you're doing, you can attack or BE attacked. That, in this game, would mean in Sector Space. To do THIS "PvP," you have to take a mission, OPT INTO the PvP, and go to a different map. This is NOT open PvP.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I could see them turning Deep Space Encounters into an event similar to the Borg DSEs.

But I don't think people would like a permanent open zone be turned into an instance, so perhaps somekind of merger where the temporary events happen inside the DSEs?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I could see them turning Deep Space Encounters into an event similar to the Borg DSEs.

But I don't think people would like a permanent open zone be turned into an instance, so perhaps somekind of merger where the temporary events happen inside the DSEs?

This is a parallel. I, personally, like testing builds in current DSEs sometimes. This is just something to do aside from that.