test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you could make STO 2, what would you do?

jjprizejjprize Member Posts: 5 Arc User
This isnt meant to criticize this game, because I love it. But just for fun, if you could make STO 2, what would you do differently, or add to what we already have?

I'll start off: having played Cryptic's newest game Neverwinter, I really enjoy its fast paced combat system. As far as space gameplay is concerned, I think STO pretty much nailed it there. But on the ground, I would like to see something closer to Neverwinter's system than what we have here.

What about you?
Post edited by jjprize on

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Make each faction distinct. Federation, Klingon, Romulan and sub factions for the other races involved.
    No alien ships playable outside of their race.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would make all KDF ships tac focused, all FED ships eng focused, and all ROM ships sci focused. I would also balance out the Boff abilities so that no one faction is OP. I would also make captain max rank. ... That's probably about it.

Edit:
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    No alien ships playable outside of their race.

This too^^^^
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Full 360 degree combat. Z axis included.

Maybe up the scale so it plays more like Klingon academy.

Three full factions. (No mini factions)

More in depth power systems.

No alien ships.

No pay to win.

Proper PvP.

Basically I want Klingon academy as an mmo.
  • haldan1968haldan1968 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jjprize wrote: »
    This isnt meant to criticize this game, because I love it. But just for fun, if you could make STO 2, what would you do differently, or add to what we already have?

I'll start off: having played Cryptic's newest game Neverwinter, I really enjoy its fast paced combat system. As far as space gameplay is concerned, I think STO pretty much nailed it there. But on the ground, I would like to see something closer to Neverwinter's system than what we have here.

What about you?

Then why say it? Clearly you DO want to criticize the game otherwise you would not have written that. (right back at ya, babe.)

With that out of the way, I would start STO-2 with proper ship interiors that would allow for missions to take place in. A good portion of the stories in Trek take place entirely on the ship, and this would increase a player's immersion in the game overall.

I would allow for the game mechanics to make it possible to fly sector space from your bridge.

I would still include a tactical view, but to get there you would have to board your ship via the shuttle bay, or the transporter. Then move through the ship to the nearest turbo lift, and then the bridge. Then sit in your captain's chair to move to tactical view. (And the reverse when leaving the ship to beam down to a planet and such?)

Of course a quick option to switch to tactical view would be included for those who do not want to do this.

I will also agree with you that ground combat needs improvement, and would support a style like what you suggested.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yay, another how would you make STO part 2 thread, never enough of those.

Let's see I would input cheat code on my fake development company for infinite cash, make sure my sims don't get tired and just go nuts.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jjprizejjprize Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    haldan1968 wrote: »
    Then why say it? Clearly you DO want to criticize the game otherwise you would not have written that. (right back at ya, babe.)

Not at all. You see, it is possible to like one thing, while liking something else even more. For example, I enjoy vanilla ice cream. I enjoy chocolate ice cream even more, but that does not mean I am criticizing vanilla ice cream.

Likewise, I enjoy this game, and I even enjoy its ground combat. However, I like NW's ground combat even more. So if there were a STO 2, I would prefer if its ground combat were more like NW's. In conclusion, when you try to assume you know what other people are thinking, you will usually find out how wrong you are :P
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    It'd ditch factions entirely. They are only making troubles, dividing playerbase, making problems with parity between factions in terms of ships and queues whatnot.

Federation canon species would be in one semi-faction, but the only uniting factor for them would be an assumption that all of them are Federation and have shared ships (Fed ones). Racial ships like Atrox and Kumari would be restriced to their "base" species, but unlockable by reputation.

Other species would be restricted to racial ships. Klingons, Orions, Nausicaans, Cardassians.

Visiting faction capital planets would be restricted by racial reputation. Klingon homeworld requires max level of Klingon reputation, ESD max level of UFP reputation and so on.

Whether players want to play PvE and PvP queues in a canon factional setup or not, would be left entirely for players, save for certain specified scenarios.

Honestly, I believe that only serious mistake made with STO is two faction system. It doesn't fit with ST universe and was a reason for pretty silly writing needed to shoehorn few races into only two factions.

Otherwise? I think the game's fine. It may use some polish, but that's it.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If I were to make STO2 (or any MMO, for that matter), the first thing I would do is not have any forums.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would like to see "repel boarders/intruder alert" missions staged on your own ship, PvE and PvP (random player's ship selected if multiple humans present.) Goals could be "capture the bridge/engineering," "sabotage engines/shields/weapons," etc. Maybe you could even escape in a stolen shuttle.

Also, more complete ship interiors. And if you capture an opponent's ship, it follows you like a pet and shoots at your targets until you die or the match ends.

Seamless transition from space to atmospheric entry to ground. Actual docking animations at starbases. Actual ship yard visuals for repairs and modifications.

Shuttles accessed from the shuttle bay. And the actual shuttle you're using, not some generic placeholder.

Fleet/battle group mechanics. Maybe too difficult to have your alts flying wing man, but what about your ranking bridge officers flying your other ships?

Outer hull EV missions. Similar to the DS9 exterior mission, but on your ship. Could be to repel attacks, repair damage, scan wierd alien rust contamination, etc.

An option to navigate from the bridge map. Even if it's in sector space, it'd be cool to sit in the captain's chair and actually do something.

Collisions. Yeah, I said it. Collisions. People would play differently if they had to worry about crashing their ships into things.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Superlink... Is that you?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Another thing, less restricted, more modular ship customization. If someone wants to put a T1 Connie deflector and T2 cruiser nacelles on an Intrepid, it would harm nothing to allow it.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited December 2013

What about you?

Personally i want to take the person from SWTOR that thought it was a good idea to use a modified and leased game engine and take the person from STO that thought it was a good idea to use this engine and bonk their heads together.

To answer the OP...STO 2 for me would borrow from WoW, EVE online, SWG and maybe GW2. Things like game engine, content releases and dev support = WoW. Overall game concept like how items, ships, the exchange, crafting and people all interact and so on = EVE+SWG minus the PVP. SWTOR does do a few good things with storyline content, but i think they go too far with some things, like "chosen one" storylines for example.
    edited December 2013
    Not at all. You see, it is possible to like one thing, while liking something else even more. For example, I enjoy vanilla ice cream. I enjoy chocolate ice cream even more, but that does not mean I am criticizing vanilla ice cream.

Likewise, I enjoy this game, and I even enjoy its ground combat. However, I like NW's ground combat even more. So if there were a STO 2, I would prefer if its ground combat were more like NW's. In conclusion, when you try to assume you know what other people are thinking, you will usually find out how wrong you are :P

You mean like when you assumed what I was thinking when you criticized my remarks about the T5 connie?

That because I wrote that (paraphrased), "if such a level of contempt and complaining is what it takes to get one in the game, then I do not want it", and you then assumed that I must believe that complaining would actually make it happen, because otherwise why would I write it?:eek:

There seems to be two sets of rules here.

So... right ... back... at .. you.... babe.
    edited December 2013
    I can see why some of you are not running Development companies, you'd go out of business in less than a month.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Another thing, less restricted, more modular ship customization. If someone wants to put a T1 Connie deflector and T2 cruiser nacelles on an Intrepid, it would harm nothing to allow it.

I will always support anything that allows for greater customization in an MMO, especially if that customization is purely cosmetic. Agreed 100%.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited December 2013

What about you?

The lack of zoom made Neverwinter feel like a cheap console port -- this convinced me that I'm better off focusing on more modern PC titles like STO :D

As for STO2, some things I'd like to see are

1 - Persistent territorial contested zones on a huge galactic map. This area will be subdivided into sectors, and players will be free to attack adjacent sectors and hold territory for access to special resources like unique vendors, dilithium mines, etc... Opposing factions can enter the zone from opposite ends of the map, and occasional NPC factions will attack random sectors to keep players on their toes

2 - More weapon stats and variety - new weapon (spinals, gattling guns, expanding spheres), variable ranges, multiple damage types, etc. No more 10km fixed range for all weapons. Torpedoes will no longer be kinetic-damage-only, thereby improving performance vs. raised shields.

3 - More canon-accurate ship movement - Z-axis and turn-thruster controls, allowing ships to rotate without forward movement.

4 - Warp Based Combat encounters -- for large galactic maps. Weapons ranges will be impacted - energy weapons and abilities will be limited 2km (about the size of ship overlapping warp fields), including most cannons, beams, and tractors. Torpedo range will be greatly increased via micro warp engines.

5 - Isometric map displays -- replaces the flat top view map of the sector with a 3D RTS style display. Think of sector space, but zoomed out to the point that your ship is a small dot on a large 3D map.

6 - Warp Cores will now determine top warp speed, not impulse engines as is now.

Many of the above can be implemented in STO1, but I doubt they will ever happen.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My list is too extensive.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited December 2013
    So... right ... back... at .. you.... babe.

No offense, but no matter how many times you call me "babe" I'm afraid I am not interested in you that way :P
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd just flush the whole project down the toilet and call it a day. Then get to work on Bridge Commander 2. :P
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    I'd just flush the whole project down the toilet and call it a day. Then get to work on Bridge Commander 2. :P

Yea... I am in on this...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited December 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    The lack of zoom made Neverwinter feel like a cheap console port -- this convinced me that I'm better off focusing on more modern PC titles like STO :D

Actually you can zoom, although it is not tied to the mouse wheel and it also removes the UI from your screen. I dont really like that myself, but I do like the way the combat works :)
    edited December 2013
    No offense, but no matter how many times you call me "babe" I'm afraid I am not interested in you that way :P

How would you know? You know nothing about me.

See? There you go again, making assumptions.
    (Is it OK for you to make assumptions, while other people should not?)

Anyway, do not take this too seriously. I don't really care what you think. Double standards just bother me, that's all.
    edited December 2013
    Girls, Girls, you're both pretty
    GwaoHAD.png
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    1 - Persistent territorial contested zones on a huge galactic map. This area will be subdivided into sectors, and players will be free to attack adjacent sectors and hold territory for access to special resources like unique vendors, dilithium mines, etc... Opposing factions can enter the zone from opposite ends of the map, and occasional NPC factions will attack random sectors to keep players on their toes

I can see this adding in interesting dynamic to the game, particularly on the edges of faction space, though I should hope it involves a pvp tag system of sorts (like the one featured in SWTOR, PvE only by default) for the protection of less good players from top end ones.
    2 - More weapon stats and variety - new weapon (spinals, gattling guns, expanding spheres), variable ranges, multiple damage types, etc. No more 10km fixed range for all weapons. Torpedoes will no longer be kinetic-damage-only, thereby improving performance vs. raised shields.

Might I suggest adding different ranges within the same weapon types? For example:-

Short range beam array (5km, perhaps 7.5km, range) +50%/25% damage respectively.
    Meduim range beam array (10km range) +/-0% damage.
    Long range beam array (15km, perhaps 125.5km (same difference as short range)) reverse damage modification of the short range

Allowing ships to either focus on a damage range or equip a variety of ranges to suit their preference.
    4 - Warp Based Combat encounters -- for large galactic maps. Weapons ranges will be impacted - energy weapons and abilities will be limited 2km (about the size of ship overlapping warp fields), including most cannons, beams, and tractors. Torpedo range will be greatly increased via micro warp engines.

I'd like to see this implemented but I think 2km is a bit short for a range it gives no room for manoeuvre (Not that one can really do so at warp anyway :P)
    5 - Isometric map displays -- replaces the flat top view map of the sector with a 3D RTS style display. Think of sector space, but zoomed out to the point that your ship is a small dot on a large 3D map.

I think this should be made optional and maybe while we're at it implement a 'command from the bridge' type setup.
    6 - Warp Cores will now determine top warp speed, not impulse engines as is now.

Seems fair, no complaints there.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited December 2013
    How would you know? You know nothing about me.

Because I already have someone who calls me "babe", so no matter how many times you call me that I will still prefer them over you :P
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I'd like to see this implemented but I think 2km is a bit short for a range it gives no room for manoeuvre (Not that one can really do so at warp anyway :P)

"Faster than light, no left or right."

- Tom Paris, Voyager
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    "Faster than light, no left or right."

- Tom Paris, Voyager

My point exactly.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

This... just made my week! :)
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

You sir have won the internet :D
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd rein the focus way, way in.

The player base would be a fleet within one faction, not three factions. A single ship would act as an enormous part of the game's setting. Species would be a bigger deal. I'd want Starfleet Klingons to feel like a complete and distinct playstyle before doing factions that expand that out.