test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I think it would be cool if DOFFS could improve as you used them.

ausspyderausspyder Member Posts: 0 Arc User
At the moment we start with a bunch of white's and a green or two. As we improve we get new DOFF's and dismiss or sell the old. It just doesn't make sense.

Never in any of the star trek shows did one of the captains sell any of his officers. Sure, some died but they didn't outright chuck them. The same loyal DOFF's hung around for ages and became a common sight and a fine addition to the ships crew. Hell, Chief Miles O'Brien was a white/green quality DOFF in early TNG days and was at least blue quality by the time Picard traded him to Sisko, and on DS9 he easily gained purple status.

Rom was a duty officer on DS9 (eventually) and he got promoted at least twice, and Quark was a bartender DOFF and he improved his skillset too. Imagine if Sisko threw them out an airlock and got a new guy in cause new guy knew how to make iced tea and quark didn't. Then throws the new guy out the airlock when he finds a guy who can make iced tea AND a martini.

Anyways, if you assume the crappy DOFF's you get at level 10 are ensigns fresh out of the academy, and purples are seasoned vets with much experience under their belts, then how come none of our ensigns ever get better. They just suck till they die or you throw them out an airlock.

I think it would be cool if, after going on enough successful missions or having critical success some of your DOFF's could level up. Maybe gain a new trait or rank instead of staying stagnant until they get killed or dumped into a fleet project.

Something like 20% chance on a critical success that your most suitable doff for the job (IE, the most green words) improves. Could be that they get 4-5 traits then they get a promo and get reset to 3. Would be cool to have dudes that served you faithfully for ages become mainstays on your ship. Would be cool to know that Ernie Michael Hauser was down in the science deck somewhere using his vast experience from all of his successful missions to benefit the ship and it's crew.

At the moment all we do is just put up with our crappy inexperienced doffs till someone better comes along then it's out the airlock you go. Then eventually you find someone better again and bang, new guys out the airlock too. It just doesn't make any sense.

If Picard could put up with Wesley Crusher and Ensign Ro and they can improve over time then I think some of our DOFF's should have the opportunity to do so too.

Also, is it just me or do Bolian DOFF's suck. Most of mine have like 2 traits. I have a purple with 1.
Post edited by ausspyder on

Comments

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I totally agree... you can promote BOFF so why not DOFF? This needs to be implemented in the next season.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Or perhaps the lowest ranked doff in an assignment would have a chance of "leveling up." That way it's a balance between using the best doffs available and improving less-valuable doffs.

Of course it would kill the doff market, and doff packs would cease to be special.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This was suggested when they were developing the system. Mechanics won't allow for it.
  • ausspyderausspyder Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Of course it would kill the doff market, and doff packs would cease to be special.

I don't see how. How many crit success's do you really have while all your doff's are green/white. Maybe 1 out of 20-30. And if each of those only has a chance to promote, it's still gonna be much much quicker to buy them outright off the exchange.

Additionally, appeal of doff packs isn't the crappy Doff's in them. Nobody with a good set of doffs buys a pack and keeps the whites.

And if they made it that DOFF's become BOP/BOA if you accept the promo then replacing them would mean dismissing instead of exchange
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ausspyder wrote: »
    At the moment we start with a bunch of white's and a green or two. As we improve we get new DOFF's and dismiss or sell the old. It just doesn't make sense.

Never in any of the star trek shows did one of the captains sell any of his officers. Sure, some died but they didn't outright chuck them. The same loyal DOFF's hung around for ages and became a common sight and a fine addition to the ships crew. Hell, Chief Miles O'Brien was a white/green quality DOFF in early TNG days and was at least blue quality by the time Picard traded him to Sisko, and on DS9 he easily gained purple status.

Rom was a duty officer on DS9 (eventually) and he got promoted at least twice, and Quark was a bartender DOFF and he improved his skillset too. Imagine if Sisko threw them out an airlock and got a new guy in cause new guy knew how to make iced tea and quark didn't. Then throws the new guy out the airlock when he finds a guy who can make iced tea AND a martini.

Anyways, if you assume the crappy DOFF's you get at level 10 are ensigns fresh out of the academy, and purples are seasoned vets with much experience under their belts, then how come none of our ensigns ever get better. They just suck till they die or you throw them out an airlock.

I think it would be cool if, after going on enough successful missions or having critical success some of your DOFF's could level up. Maybe gain a new trait or rank instead of staying stagnant until they get killed or dumped into a fleet project.

Something like 20% chance on a critical success that your most suitable doff for the job (IE, the most green words) improves. Could be that they get 4-5 traits then they get a promo and get reset to 3. Would be cool to have dudes that served you faithfully for ages become mainstays on your ship. Would be cool to know that Ernie Michael Hauser was down in the science deck somewhere using his vast experience from all of his successful missions to benefit the ship and it's crew.

At the moment all we do is just put up with our crappy inexperienced doffs till someone better comes along then it's out the airlock you go. Then eventually you find someone better again and bang, new guys out the airlock too. It just doesn't make any sense.

If Picard could put up with Wesley Crusher and Ensign Ro and they can improve over time then I think some of our DOFF's should have the opportunity to do so too.

Also, is it just me or do Bolian DOFF's suck. Most of mine have like 2 traits. I have a purple with 1.

duty officers which comprises of every active serving crewman on the ship, if they don't make the cut they get traded out for a fresh batch. the ENT-d was known to want the best of the best. but even diamonds in the rough like O'Brien and Barclay gained their own traits well. O'Brien was already between green and blue by the time he served on the ENT due to serving with Captain Maxwell during the cardassian border wars and primarily Setlik III and Barclay was almost transferred out by the Commander until he showed his skills right when he needed to. by the time O'Brien was finished on the ENT, he probably was purple skilled because his overall skill set was shown a lot on ds9 which was massively improved over that on the ENT. the same with Barclay with the pathfinder project.

Then you got others like Ayala from Voyager who played different roles over the 7 years from tactical, to security, to conn, to operations and finally command. even the EMH doctor had command experience and became head of starfleet medical after the voyager returned due to the massive knowledge that was attained over the years in the delta quadrant. just be lucky your not a duty officer in security on the original ent :D.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mjszulmjszul Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I certainly wouldn't mind a way to promote duty officers to full bridge officers. Sometimes you might have a few that are worth giving expanded roles to.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    This was suggested when they were developing the system. Mechanics won't allow for it.

I remember this - wasn't it talk of Heads of Departments being able to 'eat' (I quote) Doffs to gain new skills somehow?
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »
    I remember this - wasn't it talk of Heads of Departments being able to 'eat' (I quote) Doffs to gain new skills somehow?

Yes there was. But that was way back when the system was still being actively developed. These days, it seems that the DOff system doesn't receive too much in the way of active development and just gets expanded every now and then; things like new DOffs and assignments mostly.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »

Sounds like Transformers Legends Card game...

You can upgrade your card of choice (any rank) by using any spare cards you have, breaking them down into "parts" and investing them into your Card of choice.

This would be nice for the army of Greens I've got hanging around...plugging up my Duty Roster.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    "Execute for Incompetence" the finest doff mission by far.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary