test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Art decision fridge logic in Avenger

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Art of Star Trek Online
First, a definition. We of TV Tropes have a term called fridge logic, defined as something you don't realize didn't make sense until a few minutes after you watched the show (e.g. when you're looking in the fridge).

Now, the subject of the thread. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fleet Avenger to death, but some fridge logic hit me about it recently. Namely, what's the point of putting windows on the inside of a dual neck?
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• Options
    tera117doe#7909 tera117doe Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What moron would put windows on a warship to begin with, or expose the bridge like starfleet does, or put the ftl engines on pylons extending from the ship?

just go with it
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aadiikaa wrote: »
    put the ftl engines on pylons extending from the ship?
    I think they explained that as a warp physics thing in one of the technical manuals. Don't quote me on it, though.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    tera117doe#7909 tera117doe Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    I think they explained that as a warp physics thing in one of the technical manuals. Don't quote me on it, though.

fair enough i guess, still no excuse for the rest of the rather dumb design choices.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Obviously, the purpose of windows is simple: If you have unwelcome guests roaming about the ship, you can just roll down the windows and let them out. Whether the windows are actually facing into anything with a view is completely unimportant. Being windows is just camouflage, to keep the enemy from suspecting that they're not harmless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Now, the subject of the thread. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fleet Avenger to death, but some fridge logic hit me about it recently. Namely, what's the point of putting windows on the inside of a dual neck?

So they can wave to the neighbours across the street, so to speak? Most high rise buildings have windows that face another monolithic building with more windows in it, I guess people sometimes just like to look out side, no matter what the view is once in a while.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aadiikaa wrote: »
    What moron would put windows on a warship to begin with, or expose the bridge like starfleet does, or put the ftl engines on pylons extending from the ship?

just go with it

the reasoning for the warp engines on pylons was because they are very powerful and potentially dangerous, so they put as much distance as possible between them and the habitable hull.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    [QUOTE=starswordc;13774901 Namely, what's the point of putting windows on the inside of a dual neck?[/QUOTE]

Obviously your 24th century starship architects have a sense of fun. Perhaps it was for peeping toms or for the crew to moon one another from the comfort of their quarters. Imagine if it caused a scenario like in the film Rear window!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013

For crew comfort all cabins have an 'outside' view. Made as a basic requirement for equality so now all of them have a window. Even if that window is going to face a bulkhead. So bureaucracy in action.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hmmm...
    In Star Wars, windows are a form of *TranspariSteel, just as durable as the Hull.

I also remember Picard saying (In First Contact) something about the "windows" not actually being there, that it is just a force field barrier.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hmmm...
    In Star Wars, windows are a form of *TranspariSteel, just as durable as the Hull.

I also remember Picard saying (In First Contact) something about the "windows" not actually being there, that it is just a force field barrier.

I'm going to stop you right there.

Transparisteel yes, NOT as durable as hull. More durable than glass very much so but wont stop a blast.

First contact, they where not in a section that had windows. I'm not sure what the section was but that panel slid back revealing a force field in place of glass.

You will also note windows are often shown in crew quarters and ten forward. With an either extremely thick peice of glass or a weird double pane design(also quite thick each piece would be). For a ship to have no actual windows and be running force fields only would be disasterous, one power hiccup and there goes the crew......
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For a ship to have no actual windows and be running force fields only would be disasterous, one power hiccup and there goes the crew......

Yeah I was just thinking of a power blip taking out the whole crew, was thinking they'd be triple/quadruple backups for "Window Force Fields" if they existed shipwide...
    But I guess only certain observation/viewing sections would have that Force Field sheilding.
    Point taken.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hmmm...

In Star Trek the "windows" are actually made of transparent aluminum.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    So they can wave to the neighbours across the street, so to speak? Most high rise buildings have windows that face another monolithic building with more windows in it, I guess people sometimes just like to look out side, no matter what the view is once in a while.

I always saw it as this. Gives it sort of a "Flying City" feel. I kind of like it actually.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've seen a couple ships like this, actually for feds. I think the roms have it too.

A couple variants of the HEC have windows on the inside of the dual hull facing the other hull. The atrox has tons of windows facing walls of the ship. The underside of the JDHC actually has an overhang over a row of windows that serves no purpose aside from looking like a skirt. The defiant has a horseshoe shaped row of windows on the underside that face inward.

Not really sure who's making these art decisions.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In Star Trek the "windows" are actually made of transparent aluminum.

Yup.

That's exactly my take, as well - looking across the street.

I fly an Oddy, and in my mind, the windows in the dual neck are mainly science/engineering labs. The crew quarters are all up in the Chevron, which can separate whenever I need cannon fodd- um, whenever I need to get the civilians to safety. :D
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I was just thinking of a power blip taking out the whole crew, was thinking they'd be triple/quadruple backups for "Window Force Fields" if they existed shipwide...
    But I guess only certain observation/viewing sections would have that Force Field sheilding.
    Point taken.

Another possibility is that since there was some kind of bulkhead lowered that this was a damaged section of the ship and it was lowered to "counter" a window that had been blown out. Consumes less power than to keep a forcefield running all the time.:)
    Also earlier in the movie we can see Picard standing in his ready room and see Riker's reflection in the window as he comes in.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's simple: One neck portion houses the perverts, the other one houses the female crew members.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There are two kinds of people in this world..... :rolleyes: