test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

klingons longevetity and carrers :) - worf

czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
how long klingons normaly live and how fast they mature ?
since in undicovered country you see worf, which latter join federation on ent :). Why advocate decided to join starfleet ?
another is his son alexander - in few seasons you see him grow up from unborn child to little child, only to see him later in ds9 - whichstarts at same time as later episodes of tng - as fully mature young man.
Post edited by czertik123 on

Comments

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Worf in Undiscovered Country is not the same Worf. (Though it is the same actor, kind of a grandfather type thing) :)

Edit: Now that I look it up to be sure, there was no actual on screen connection between our Worf and Undiscovered Country Worf ergo there is no canon connection beside name though off screen it was intended to be his grandfather. - the filmmakers' intention was that the Star Trek VI character was the grandfather of the Next Generation character.
    how long klingons normaly live and how fast they mature ?
    since in undicovered country you see worf, which latter join federation on ent :). Why advocate decided to join starfleet ?
    another is his son alexander - in few seasons you see him grow up from unborn child to little child, only to see him later in ds9 - whichstarts at same time as later episodes of tng - as fully mature young man.

The guy in Star Trek VI was TNG Worf's grandfather. Our Worf was the only survivor of the Romulan attack on Khitomer and was found and adopted by a Starfleet officer.
    defalus wrote: »
    Edit: Now that I look it up to be sure, there was no actual on screen connection between our Worf and Undiscovered Country Worf ergo there is no canon connection beside name though off screen it was intended to be his grandfather. - the filmmakers' intention was that the Star Trek VI character was the grandfather of the Next Generation character.

True, but nothing disproves it, and we have a massive family resemblance as evidence. :D;)
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    yeah, when you mentioned khitomer attack...how i forgot that ? :rolleyes:.

still, anyone have idea about how fast/slow klingons mature and thier longevity ?
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    czertik123 wrote: »
    yeah, when you mentioned khitomer attack...how i forgot that ? :rolleyes:.

still, anyone have idea about how fast/slow klingons mature and thier longevity ?

Well you can judge from Kor, Kang and Koloth, they were all characters in the original series (~2268) and then over 100 years later they were in Deep Space 9 (2375), going by that alone shows that they live longer than Terrans.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kor
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kang
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Koloth

I'd hazard a guess that their lifespan is roughly twice that of a human.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well you can judge from Kor, Kang and Koloth, they were all characters in the original series (~2268) and then over 100 years later they were in Deep Space 9 (2375), going by that alone shows that they live longer than Terrans.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kor
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kang
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Koloth

I'd hazard a guess that their lifespan is roughly twice that of a human.

Seems like everyone in the ST universe lives longer than us poor Terrans.

I think I'll have another hamburger and fries and think about it.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We live way longer then Ocompa and somewhat longer then Leathens.
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Worf in Undiscovered Country is not the same Worf. (Though it is the same actor, kind of a grandfather type thing) :)

Worf, Son Of Mogh, Son of Worf!

Sphere of Influence should have had this line:
    "I am Worf, grandfather of myself!"
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »

Actually humans, at least by the time of TNG, had much longer lives as well. Like Admiral McCoy, I think he was like... 120 or something.

And I believe other humans could also live longer on average than we do now.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • kilodeltafivekilodeltafive Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    back in oh say 2000 or so learned in science class, that doctors had figured out that the human body could live up to 400 years, the reason we can't even live past 100 at best glance is all the factors in our lives, colds/flus, food, water, sleep, toxin's in the air. etc etc our bodies have the energy for it and if our cells didn't degrade because of all the factors the most we could live would be 400 years at the far far edge.. of luck.. now say in the Star trek universe they could figure out a way to remove most of the factors it could spring forward the idea of human or humanish living longer life spans. course i could be wrong my memory doesn't work that well these days. but i'm pretty sure it was around 400
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »

Actually, by then, humans will likely be living far longer than any of the imaginary races from the Star Trek Universe (with the possible exception of the really advanced ones... like Organians).

5 years ago I watched a documentary on then current research into slowing and even reversing the aging process. The lead researcher laughed that most of the members of his research team had a bet going that the first person to live to 200 was already alive... and many of them were betting that that person was, at present, in their 50's or 60's.

Today I read an article from a Science News site that considers a prediction that we will be able to "print" out replacement hearts using your own stem cells and a bio-reactor based 3d printer within 10 years a conservative estimate (it will likely be about half that... 5 to 6 years).

Advances over the next 50 to 100 years in cybernetics will likely mean a relatively near future where the line between human and machine is all but erased, people live as long as they wish with their "minds" backed up and downloadable (or uploadable, if you wish) to a virtual "net" that would be indistinguishable from "reality" and the so called "technological singularity" will likely be reached within the next 100 - 150 years beyond which ANY predictions we make, no matter how wild, will be too conservative.

The Star Trek Universe has always been woefully conservative in it's view of the future. At the same time, ironically, it has acted as one of the chief spurs driving us towards that far more incredible future we're actually headed for. :D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Strangest thing I ever came across was I once was with a group of gov types meeting with a doctor at a well known medical college that had invented a pet food aditive to prolong pet life spans by a sizable percentage. It worked very well and had a similiar effect on humans though it had the draw back of once you had it in your system you had to continue its application on a daily basis or its benefits disappeered completely and left the body open to disease for a short period of time.
    On that day I realized that frankly the science guys scared me more than the gun toting specops of the world.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Actually humans, at least by the time of TNG, had much longer lives as well. Like Admiral McCoy, I think he was like... 120 or something.
    Yeah, but McCoy wasn't exactly in great shape by that point, whereas the Original Klingons were still fighting, and had to be killed in order to die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, but McCoy wasn't exactly in great shape by that point, whereas the Original Klingons were still fighting, and had to be killed in order to die.

Well that's just because humans are pussies.
  • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bones was 137 in the pilot and Sulu was still active as a Captain to sponsor Chakotay into Starfleet.
  • pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Lies you petaq ! o.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lomax6996 wrote: »
    Actually, by then, humans will likely be living far longer than any of the imaginary races from the Star Trek Universe (with the possible exception of the really advanced ones... like Organians).

5 years ago I watched a documentary on then current research into slowing and even reversing the aging process. The lead researcher laughed that most of the members of his research team had a bet going that the first person to live to 200 was already alive... and many of them were betting that that person was, at present, in their 50's or 60's.

Today I read an article from a Science News site that considers a prediction that we will be able to "print" out replacement hearts using your own stem cells and a bio-reactor based 3d printer within 10 years a conservative estimate (it will likely be about half that... 5 to 6 years).

Advances over the next 50 to 100 years in cybernetics will likely mean a relatively near future where the line between human and machine is all but erased, people live as long as they wish with their "minds" backed up and downloadable (or uploadable, if you wish) to a virtual "net" that would be indistinguishable from "reality" and the so called "technological singularity" will likely be reached within the next 100 - 150 years beyond which ANY predictions we make, no matter how wild, will be too conservative.

The Star Trek Universe has always been woefully conservative in it's view of the future. At the same time, ironically, it has acted as one of the chief spurs driving us towards that far more incredible future we're actually headed for. :D

I too think that with our current science immortalaty or rather agelessness is not that far away. Actually I would not even be that much surprised if its already possible. But considering the worlds constant growing population it would be kind of a bad idea to mix immortalaty into the pot. Something like that, if/when available, will the restricted to the upper 0,005% of the rich & powerful until overpopulation problems have been solved by stuff like space colonization and/or underwater citys and then ... "requires" proper ways to monetize it for the masses.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »

And I believe other humans could also live longer on average than we do now.

And McCoy STILL hated Transporters :P
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well that's just because humans are pussies.

Not really. More that Klingon anatomy is highly redundant, with lots of extra organs and backups (so to speak), which is why they are so tough to really bring down.

They can afford to give up that extra heart or whatever other extras they have even after over a long life. Heck, Worf isn't as old as Koloth and the others were in DS9, but he does still get around like a spring chicken in Sphere of Influence.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.