test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Ker'rat Space War Zone

Comments

• roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    They could easily fix that by putting "self-replicating" turrets or mines around the respawn points so that campers have to keep fighting them to get in close enough to camp.

I was in a Cap'n'Hold not too long ago, where I respawned to find a single Aceton Assimilator being fed by about 8 phaser turrets. There was so much AoE coming off the assimilator that my fore shield was gone and I was losing hull by the time my HUD was back up.
    Or, put a nice big perimeter trigger around the respawn points that summons a small fleet of NPC's whenever an enemy crosses the line. The more enemies that cross the line, the more NPC's warp in to protect the point.

I was just thinking of getting some roaming NPC patrols on the map. Not just for the spawn points, but also for those area where players tend to lurk.
    Wouldn't stop it, but would make camping more challenging and give respawning players a fighting chance.

Adds a little more flavor to the zone. :)
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Captains,

Please keep the forum rules in mind as you reply to this thread.

You are allowed to express your opinions about the game and to agree or disagree.

You are NOT allowed to express your negative opinions of other forum users. You are not allowed to use insulting or offensive language.

And you should not reply to any post that violates forum rules, lest you fall into the trap of breaking the rules yourself.

Don't Reply, Report.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited November 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    I was in a Cap'n'Hold not too long ago, where I respawned to find a single Aceton Assimilator being fed by about 8 phaser turrets. There was so much AoE coming off the assimilator that my fore shield was gone and I was losing hull by the time my HUD was back up.

Good point. Automated defenses that pump things like assimilators wouldn't be the best solution.

Transphasic mines, though? Or even better, clusters of both transphasic mines and tractor beam mines that self-replicate (reset)?

And I just realized that infinitely spawning NPC's to defend the point has its' own issues. I like the idea, but spamming the map with NPC ships isn't good either.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I find the idea that spawn camping is still possible in Kerrat amazing because when ever I play and respawn it I always come back in a different spot.

CnH's are different since they have a fixed respawn point.(also off topic)
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited November 2013
    Good point. Automated defenses that pump things like assimilators wouldn't be the best solution.

Transphasic mines, though? Or even better, clusters of both transphasic mines and tractor beam mines that self-replicate (reset)?

And I just realized that infinitely spawning NPC's to defend the point has its' own issues. I like the idea, but spamming the map with NPC ships isn't good either.

Scramble sensors would be painful.....

R.I.P
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    But Oh. So. Funny. :D
    edited November 2013
    I find the idea that spawn camping is still possible in Kerrat amazing because when ever I play and respawn it I always come back in a different spot.

Maybe we should make a distinction between Spawn points and Respawn points. I can't speak to your experience, but I was in a respawncamped instance not more than two weeks ago.

I called in some support, but it wasn't enough. We tried warping out to return at the spawn point, which is in a different location, but couldn't get back into the same instance.

I'm not complaining about it, just making an observation. I don't have any real problems with Ker'rat except for the warprepeaters... and the fellow faction members, who ninja decrypt a node while you're trying to clear the npc's from around it. We should be able to target those players.
    edited November 2013
    stoutes wrote: »

true............

R.I.P
    edited November 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    Maybe we should make a distinction between Spawn points and Respawn points. I can't speak to your experience, but I was in a respawncamped instance not more than two weeks ago.

I called in some support, but it wasn't enough. We tried warping out to return at the spawn point, which is in a different location, but couldn't get back into the same instance.

I'm not complaining about it, just making an observation. I don't have any real problems with Ker'rat except for the warprepeaters... and the fellow faction members, who ninja decrypt a node while you're trying to clear the npc's from around it. We should be able to target those players.

No complaints taken. I just havnt experienced it when I hit Kerrat.
    Granted I have been solo and usually only one of two to three klinks in the zone, but I never respawned in the same place.

R.I.P
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Awesome article Regulus,

You did it justice. Very cool.
    edited November 2013

stoutes wrote: »

Hm. Guess solving spawn-camping issues isn't as easy as it sounds, eh?

And I agree... it would be funny. :D That change wouldn't last more than a week, if that.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've heard stories of people setting off a chain warp core breach with a sneak attack from a Torp'Varo.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kinmakinma Member Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    edited November 2013
    Screwed?! Why do you still play?

R.I.P
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hm. Guess solving spawn-camping issues isn't as easy as it sounds, eh?

And I agree... it would be funny. :D That change wouldn't last more than a week, if that.
    Hahaha, indeed!
    kinma wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    Dude, calm down. You don't like ker'rat, fine. Go play somewhere else.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Does this mean Ker'rat is getting more attention? :P
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I'm not glossing over anything. I enjoy the gameplay. If you don't, then feel free to bow out.

You and many others enjoy the gameplay. There's nothing wrong with that.

However, myself and many others do not enjoy the gameplay. That doesn't mean we should have to 'bow out', it means we want to see Ker'rat given some more attention (yes, I am aware they addressed Ker'rat, and for that I am thankful) -- but it doesn't go far enough, and there are those of us who desire to see PvP as a whole being addressed.

And that has been the case for quite some time. Outside of the adjustments to Ker'rat (which again, I do acknowledge as being a positive thing), I see it as treating symptoms of a greater problem instead of getting to the root cause of the greater problem itself. I know why they do not. I understand why they do not.

But to have a guest blog on a broken aspect of the game (in the same way we have/had guest blogs on public channels -- again, good intentions... but inherently obvious as to why it wouldn't work), is something I consider to be a waste of Brandon's time to write -- and a waste of my time to read.

There is enough material for there to be guest blogs about, and as the Community Manager... I personally think they should have avoided the topic of PvP (and especially Ker'rat) entirely. More as a matter of public relations if anything else. But that's merely my personal opinion on where priorities should be.

In the end, the guest blog highlights that Ker'rat is irrelevant. People have pointed out in this thread from the get-go that Ker'rat is irrelevant. To have rewards on a broken aspect of the game does not make it any less unbroken (see the Crystalline Entity before the overhaul for another example of how adding rewards to something broken does not make it better).

Whether I personally like the gameplay or not, or whether you personally like the gameplay or not -- it does not represent the majority of the opinion which is... PvP in STO is in dire need of attention, and until it gets that attention -- it has little or no influence on STO as a whole.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kinmakinma Member Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    Screwed?! Why do you still play?

This guy... it is the only Star Trek MMO on the market and my fleet members make it worth it<if you are not a Star Trek fan why are you playing?>. . . Being the only game on the market is no reason to neglect the people that have stayed true and pay money to support the game . . . Might be speaking for my self but Omega and Nukara Rep is a joke was better the old way, at least the game felt mmoish now it feels like a que window. . . at 70k/100k xp on dyson found the ground or space battle zones are pointless in fact have yet to step in them. . . Why because I am sick of Rehashed stuff with New skins for the OMG big update. . . Also sick of Rehashed Blogs covering things that have been covered time and time sense day one. . . Now Please Answer my question why are the TRIBBLE with us?
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ker'rat, the Good, the Bad & the Ugly:

The Good - it's fun, challenging and the loot drops are nice.

The Bad - 99.9% of the time the decryption scans you have to do are next to impossible, as the range to them decreases to (between) 8400 to 8500 meters it (the range) starts opening up again & even flying straight up or down takes nearly forever to get within scanning range (whatever that range is) so I, 99.9% of the time don't even bother trying to do the scans ----

The Bad continued - The Borg ships (be it a Probe, Sphere, a Cube or Tactical Cube) far too often get themselves "caught" in one of the "tinker-toy" block things and cannot be shot at, but THEY can still shoot the Players' ships.

The Ugly - Daily mission? Did you say Daily mission, as in once per 24 hours is a day? Well that's news to me since I've NEVER been able to select this "Daily" more than once or twice a WEEK, let alone once every 24 hours ... Are you guys sure it's a Daily mission & not a "Weekly" mission?
    edited November 2013
    kinma wrote: »
    Now Please Answer my question why are the TRIBBLE with us?

"it is the only Star Trek MMO on the market"
    edited November 2013
    Show of Hands. Who missed the part about how Regulus wrote the blog to bring attention to Kerrat in the hopes of getting more people to try it.

Brandon merely said, "Ok".

For extra points. Who can name the two fleets who publicly stated they love Kerrat?

Kerrat is still fun, even with its glitches and farmers unwilling to fight and fighters unwilling to farm.

R.I.P
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ok, I thought I'd do this thread some justice & actually read most of the posts past page 1.

With that I'll add to THE GOOD (imho) about Ker'rat:

Ker'rat is first & foremost a WARZONE. That tells me I should expect to so see intense fighting with PvE and PVP.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've NEVER been "ganked" by KDF cloaked ships. That IS their advantage & part of the CHALLENGE. Those of you whom have been "ganked" do know that when a ship is cloaked/de-cloaking, it's shields are LOWERED right?

So, if you have audio, you can hear the de-cloaking effect. Simply learn to deselect your current target, & simultaneously use your mouse to change your view to BEHIND your ship & hit the space bar to target/shoot the de-cloaking ship. You may get lucky & destroy/seriously damage the sneaky KDF ship.

I have, on at least a few occasions. Yes, more often than not I get popped, but NEVER without a fight.

It's a WARZONE. Sometimes there's only Feds & Borg PVE. Sometimes there's a few KDF as well. And SOMETIMES there's a lot of PVP & the warping in Borg Cubes just make the PVP that much more interesting. And vice versa; the PVP aspect makes the PVE part more fun, CHALLENGING & interesting.
  • captainwexlercaptainwexler Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kintisho wrote: »
    Sounds like fun.. Oh wait I remember this place, yea fighting borg on multiple sides and low and behold 5 KDF Birds decloak, kill me, cloak and repeat.. Til all the Feds are wiped out.. Fun yes.. Oh wait the opposite of fun.. And since when are KDF at all useful against the Borg? They are not, were not, and never will be. The Federation has created ALL of the alpha quadrant's defenses against total assimilation.. Play the STFs see how 'useful" the KDF is.. Makes better drones and assimilated ships (carrier). Not to mention what "reward" for the idiotic stacked against FED frustration? NOTHING of note. Maybe My KDF needs to join in and get paid? Who know maybe fighting a one sided CLOAK and dagger.. Nope end that thought I fight with HONOR as my KDF, Qapla!!!!!!

Woah Woah Woah hold the phone!

You found a Kerrat Instance with 5 KDF players in it?! In Bops?!! My god, that's more than Iv'e ever seen in there!

In seriousness, the issue is that the KDF resort to gank tactics when they realise that they are outnumbered, usually by about 4-1. You fight fair, or god forbid try to get some PVE done, you die.

So, while the stupid try to fight fair, the bulk tend to go guerilla in the hope that maybe, just maybe, if they can kill enough feds, the zone might become even. It never does.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    But to have a guest blog on a broken aspect of the game (in the same way we have/had guest blogs on public channels -- again, good intentions... but inherently obvious as to why it wouldn't work), is something I consider to be a waste of Brandon's time to write -- and a waste of my time to read.

There is enough material for there to be guest blogs about, and as the Community Manager... I personally think they should have avoided the topic of PvP (and especially Ker'rat) entirely. More as a matter of public relations if anything else. But that's merely my personal opinion on where priorities should be.

In the end, the guest blog highlights that Ker'rat is irrelevant. People have pointed out in this thread from the get-go that Ker'rat is irrelevant. To have rewards on a broken aspect of the game does not make it any less unbroken (see the Crystalline Entity before the overhaul for another example of how adding rewards to something broken does not make it.

Disagree. I wrote the blog for several reasons, some of which are clearly evident from this forum thread. I respect that you don't like Ker'rat, either due to it not being "Your thing" or if you struggle there, i respect after nearly 4 years, it needs Dev attention. However i refute the idea thst because you think the Blog is pointless therefore it is. It's meeting up to my expectations so far. Wether you think it was a waste of time for Brandon to correspond, spell-check & read through my writing is for him to decide, i guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    IMO the STO needs one more space pvp zone but not with borg but with some of cargo ships with lot of hp and weak weapons (pvping is not easy if you are under 3x borg shield stripper and your hazard emitters are depleted). And one ground pvp zone (i know , Otha exists , but it is the ugliest zone) where you can test something like covers (cover, shoot, cover, shoot battle style).

And i know, here is not a place for it , the engineers need any trait what buff them - something like you can not be popped by t'varo in 3 sec or you can not be disabled by wells on 20 sec. Look on pvp , it is 95% sci +tac.
  • prynnceprynnce Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This instance is lag city and bugged instance. Several buggs over last years that have been mentioned have never been fixed which is why no one ever goes there. And the rewards are petty as well. As far as I am concerned Ker'rat is no longer relevant because the devs have ignored the issues with it since game launch.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ker'rat has issues, yes, but people sure are raising a lot of fuss over nothing IMO.

I applaud Reg for taking the initiative and doing this.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ker'rat gives character to the game. A lot of PvE folks enjoy places like Nimbus where the questionable folks hang out and scheme, well here it is in action.

I would participate far more than I do If I weren't so darn far behind in gear, and probably boff/doff layout.

I've gone as Fed and Kdf and been part of noble and underhanded activities, and not necessarily corresponding to faction. I've been ferreted out by science ships, teamed up with strangers to take out a bug or two, and have had a chance to fight against most every ship in game....

There should be an accolade for killing every ship model or something.

I've also been called honorless for solo attacks on groups of six or more and getting precision kills. Often I blow up on the way out, but if you besmirch my honor after I engage at those odds, you're gonna die repeatedly thereafter :P even if it takes some borg assistance.

The only thing I dislike a lot are teams that hunt solo players. I don't mind sneaky stuff, but teams roving the zone to get a 3-5 on one kill is bad form regardless of this notion of evening out the zone. When I'm fed and this happened to me it was usually one of a couple fleets every time.

anyhow, long live Ker'rat. Some of the most fun I've had has been in that zone, like the 17 ship kill spree I had with my fed shuttle back in the day, lol.

Maybe if the borg weren't there we could slap a freighter down in the middle of it with a bar in it. Have one room that is constant PvP bar fight, and another where wagering over public challenges can be made with results posted. I'd spectate matches and bet, way more fun than dabo I'm thinking. All the exchange jockeys would suddenly be interested in PvP if there was money in it :) Maybe make drinking and arm wrestling mini-games like you have for scanning and iso chips. sorry, rambling again.
    edited November 2013
    fourxgamer wrote: »
    Ker'rat gives character to the game. A lot of PvE folks enjoy places like Nimbus where the questionable folks hang out and scheme, well here it is in action.

sorry, rambling again.

No apologies. It was good ramble.
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ker'rat is just the space version of Drozana Station. TROLL CENTRAL.