test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Joined Trill rp question

bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
edited November 2013 in Ten Forward
I'm working on the backstory of my KDF joined Trill character, Nadi Drex. I've got some questions on Trill lore:

In Star Trek canon, is Trill officially a member of the Federation? If not, how are there Trill serving in Starfleet?

Do we have any in-game explanation of why joined Trill can be played as either Federation or KDF, but unjoined Trill are Federation-only?

Do we have any canon examples of a Trill host having their symbiont replaced? "Drex" was not Nadi's original name, I changed it some time ago. This could mean that she changed symbionts, or perhaps her original name ("Nadi Sux", courtesy of the random name generator) was her family name prior to her joining.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, I'm pretty sure that Trill are a member of the Federation. Even so, members of a non-aligned world can still join Starfleet. Best example is Ensign Ro from Star Trek TNG, who joined Starfleet before Bajor became a Federation member. I think applying to Starfleet begins with the endorsement from a current captain in Starfleet, but I may be wrong.

As for why a Joined Trill could join KDF/FED but an unjoined Trill could only join FED.... I'm not sure. I think Cryptic allowed Joined Trills in the KDF because of the close relation Curzon Dax (one of Jadzia/Ezri Dax's previous hosts) had a close relation with Kang, Kor, and Koloth in DS9.

I highly doubt that a symbiote can be replaced in a host. Just the conflict and mix of emotions and memories from symbiotes would drive the host mad. Or loss of one set of memories to be replaced by another.

Best of luck though, I'm planning my own Joined Trill character myself and I hope someone here on the forums can provide better information for you.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    Do we have any canon examples of a Trill host having their symbiont replaced? "Drex" was not Nadi's original name, I changed it some time ago. This could mean that she changed symbionts, or perhaps her original name ("Nadi Sux", courtesy of the random name generator) was her family name prior to her joining.

Trill die a few days after their symbiont is removed. There is soft-canon backing (TNG/DS9 crossover comic) of medical and scientific advances being made to allow for the possibility of successful separation, but there are...other...issues that going that route raises.

Most notably being in a specific city at a specific time and being infected with a specific bio-weapon.
  • frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's never definitively stated in canon that Trill is a member of the Federation, however the fact that Curzon was a top-level federation diplomat, and that Jadzia, Ezri, and half-a-dozen other Trills are seen serving in Starfleet, would strongly imply that it is. AFAIK nothing in canon has implied that Trill was anything less than a full member.

As for KDF Trill, there was an "in-universe" STO blog recently that stated that there was a colony of Trills within the Klingon Empire, however it did not comment on why only joined Trills could serve in the KDF.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I highly doubt that a symbiote can be replaced in a host. Just the conflict and mix of emotions and memories from symbiotes would drive the host mad. Or loss of one set of memories to be replaced by another.
    Trill die a few days after their symbiont is removed. There is soft-canon backing (TNG/DS9 crossover comic) of medical and scientific advances being made to allow for the possibility of successful separation, but there are...other...issues that going that route raises.

Excellent points. My original thought was that the Sux symbiont was fatally injured, and Nadi received the Drex symbiont before she died as well. I think I'll stick with the family name theory, simpler.

I'm thinking Nadi joined the KDF to allow Drex to search Klingon-controlled space to find Neabo, her daughter by a previous host. (Neabo is a Trill officer [Marauding reward], now on Nadi's crew.)
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Excellent points. My original thought was that the Sux symbiont was fatally injured, and Nadi received the Drex symbiont before she died as well. I think I'll stick with the family name theory, simpler.

While that's somewhat workable, keep in mind how much reverence Trill have for the symbionts over the hosts. The idea of giving a critically wounded Trill another symbiont, and thereby risking the life of the symbiont to try and save a host, is not something that would have happened.
    I'm thinking Nadi joined the KDF to allow Drex to search Klingon-controlled space to find Neabo, her daughter by a previous host. (Neabo is a Trill officer [Marauding reward], now on Nadi's crew.)

Here you run into the reassociation issue.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really like the concept for this character :cool:

If two joined Trill were to be carved up by a mad Klingon with a mek'leth... Maybe one stabbed in the stomach, and the other decapitated... That might create the situation which would allow for such an unorthodox joining :cool:
    edited November 2013
    Here you run into the reassociation issue.

As far as I know, that specifically refers to a romantic relationship between two joined Trill whose symbionts were involved in the past. I'm not so sure that would apply to what's essentially a stepmother-daughter relationship, especially since the daughter is not joined. I suppose arguments could be made either way.

Trill family reunions must get really strange....
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    heh, this reminds me that I never fully thought through how my character Drexela Tilo managed to become Joined AFTER leaving the borg collective...

Reassociation though was mainly for romantic relationships IIRC. Afterall, reassociation was not a sufficient reason to stop Ezri Dax from taking over Jadzia's posting on DS9.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Or, for that matter, Jadzia's entire relationship with Sisko. If you wanted to stretch things a bit, you could argue that, from the intent, it could apply to non-romantic relationships with other joined trill, as well, since the whole reason for the rule seems to be that symbiotes could simply use their successive hosts as a series of proxies to continue a single life. Unjoined trill and other races simply don't live long enough to allow that sort of thing.

The planet Ezri's family lives on is supposedly not part of the Federation, but there are plenty of other humans and vulcans and such seen living outside the Federation.
    edited November 2013
    Hmm ... if reuniting with a previous host's child is considered reassociation, that might actually work for Nadi's backstory. That would mean she's an exile from Trill, which could explain why she's chosen to join the KDF and leave the Federation behind.

I'm probably going about this all backward, from an rp perspective. Nadi isn't a new character; she was "born" long before the game went F2P. I'm trying to come up with an explanation for the character as she currently exists.