test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan suggestions

aeliah1aeliah1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I have a few suggestions after playing the romulans for some time now that would enhance the game play without costing the devs money.
The lack of feeling like a separate faction is an issue. How can we make the romulans feel like a faction more so than now? I understand the funds involved and the community is not interested in building new star-bases. So I thought a few suggestions that are easy to do and would allow us to feel like true romulans.

1. Instead of reporting back to Qu'nos after missions why not report back to Romulus.
2. New officers like the liberated borg being a KDF. Why not have the officers aligned to Romulans.
3. Romulans are not KDF or Federation so why force us to be marauders or diplomats. Why not have a separate diplomacy aside from the other factions. After all they are only allied to them but still remain romulans.

4. The other two factions can place trophies on their ships why not on romulan ships.
5. New C-store romulan ships have separate bridges without the romulan Crew and engineering sections while the other two factions still have those sections of the ship.

My next suggestion is more for the community and a question.
What if the romulans where to have their own diplomacy and only after achieving all levels in this could we ally with federation or Klingon? Also, what if we did have separate fleets for romulans allowing us to have a choice to remain in the republic or join as allies to another faction. Using cookie cutter options from components in the game currently we could have for very cheap romulan fleets. This could make everybody happy and allow more money for cryptic at the same time.

Anyways what are everybody?s thoughts on this, I know I have fallen in love with the romulan faction and would like to see this grow more.

Also any suggestions that are on topic about romulans and your thoughts that could make us feel more at home being romulans.
Post edited by aeliah1 on

Comments

• Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Given what has been said by Cryptic on the topic of the alliance system and the issues involved in making changes to it - programming or otherwise - I would say that ship interiors, fleet holding skins (if not fleets), All 'day-to-day' needs being catered for at New Romulus and a self-contained and unique doff system would go a long way toward making up for what I suspect was a gross underestimation, driven by fear of a LoR flop, of the popularity of Romulans among Trek fans on the part of whoever made the decision regarding their implementation in the game.

I also suspect that the same mistake led to KDF being sidelined as a (rather boring at launch) PvP focused faction and is possibly a major cause of the much cited 'popularity gap'.

Anything that brings a more unique feeling to any faction or subfaction, present or future, romulan or not. would be a big plus to gameplay and encourage characters in different factions on the same acccount. I will state, despite the above, that I feel that the game has progressed in the right direction in this regard with additions such as the KDF and now Fed tutorials.

More uniqueness=more fun=longer standing players=more profit.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    aeliah1 wrote: »
    2. New officers like the liberated borg being a KDF. Why not have the officers aligned to Romulans.

Are you referring to duty or bridge officers? There is a reman liberated borg bridge officer.
    3. Romulans are not KDF or Federation so why force us to be marauders or diplomats. Why not have a separate diplomacy aside from the other factions. After all they are only allied to them but still remain romulans.

All of my current romulans are fed aligned and I'm perfectly happy with the diplomacy option. I would not like to see a separate Romulan option.

Having played a KDF a little I think Romulans do really well with marauding in terms of traits. Unscrupulous (common Romulan trait) is a great marauding trait. I know that's an effectiveness thing rather than a theme thing, which is what you're focused on. I'm just saying I'd imagine most KDF aligned Romulans are pretty happy with marauding. Especially with all the loot it generates.

Even though it's not completely Romulan-specific I kind of feel like espionage is already our thing. On all my Romulan characters I've levelled that crazy fast because Romulan doffs are well traited for it. Acquiring Romulan doffs takes time/work/effort for feds and kdf.
    5. New C-store romulan ships have separate bridges without the romulan Crew and engineering sections while the other two factions still have those sections of the ship.

Why?

Something I recently suggested in another thread... have a fleet config option which controls npc spawns in fleet holdings (eg. starbase). I'm sure Romulan only fleets would much prefer not to see Klingons or Federation officers wandering around their bases. Programmatically it should be relatively simple too.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    varnoukh wrote: »
    All of my current romulans are fed aligned and I'm perfectly happy with the diplomacy option. I would not like to see a separate Romulan option.

And that is probably part of your problem.

I agree with OP that the Romulans need their own Diplomacy/Maruadering CXP with a Romulan Unique set of transwarp destinations.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    the community is not interested in building new star-bases.
    Don't be so sure, I know of at least 2 fleets that have a desire to have rom specific bases, or at the minimum romulan skins

Your other suggestions have some merit but theres been plenty of hashing on this subject in other threads, some even current. I think its a loud whiny minority that are actually happy with their fed/kdf sub faction.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    davidwford wrote: »
    And that is probably part of your problem.

Since I'm perfectly happy with this the way it is, I don't have a problem ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Since I'm perfectly happy with this the way it is, I don't have a problem ;)

(sarcasm)Hello, I am a sheep and I don't care if I am being mistreated.

All joking aside, you need to broaden your horizons. You are content because you only play Federation, and your Romulans are not Romulans, but Federation wannabes with battle cloaking ships. Most players want each of the factions to have a unique feel to them. Your not helping that.

I have a Republic character for each side, Federation, KDF, and a non-allied still stuck regrinding the first mission arcs and no PvP, DOFF, and advanced PvE options. That last one is the most "pure" Romulan character. Each ally has its strengths, but in short, they are shoehorned into being "mini" versions of the two primary factions.

I want the best of both allies WITHOUT having the commitment to one side or the other. In essence, I want a REAL Romulan faction. This is but one way to piecemeal that dream into a reality.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Have espionage instead of marauding or diplomacy. build Romulan Starbases or have the story where you refurbish old abandoned Romulan starbases for fleets but do something.
    Your only a Romulan pretty much till level 10 Then you get the Klingon empire or Federation Green card, And end up being bossed around by and absorbed by said super powers into their armies.

The fear was not only it being a flop but also Mr Stahl said "we wanted to keep this a red vs blue game pvp wise" So there ya have it at the end of the day pvp was the deciding factor.

I say this not to slight pvp cause I enjoy it, but he said what he said.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I agree why not have a romulan only faction from what i'm hearing people who are for romulan only factions are OK with crappy star-bases using a romulan skim over fed or kdf. At the very leas give us more of a feel to the romulan faction. Perhaps in the start there was not much interest into this faction however, there is an ever increasing romulan population as well a wont to be independent which is to be expected with a growing population.

But to be fair this thread is to mainly discus and get Cryptic to implement a more recent fix to allow us to feel more at home as a roumulan. Why is my breen kdf aligned and why are any of the special bridge officers kdf or fed aligned and not romulan and why do we not report our missions to the romulan republic and instead kdf or fed? This question is specific to cryptic and not the community and i'm not looking for an answer as this is a question in statement form meant only as a suggestion to them.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Aeliah, those missions given me by Republic Command are reported back to them. Why should I have to call back to Mol'Rihan, adding an extra several layers of bureaucracy, when I've been asked to do something by Adm. T'Nae? Just because she's a racist Yyaio susse'thrai doesn't mean I shouldn't even talk to her, after all...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    The fear was not only it being a flop but also Mr Stahl said "we wanted to keep this a red vs blue game pvp wise" So there ya have it at the end of the day pvp was the deciding factor.

I say this not to slight pvp cause I enjoy it, but he said what he said.

And if that was the whole problem, then the PvP queue system should have had a Romulan variation, with Romulan players who queue being added to the side of the matches with the fewest queued. Goodness knows that PvP matches now have become either KDF vs. Romulan or Romulan vs Romulan. Slapping the Romulans to one faction or another has paradoxically did the very thing they were trying to avoid. (I think Seven of Nine said the Borg's First Contact ploy was that very kind of paradox)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    davidwford wrote: »
    (sarcasm)Hello, I am a sheep and I don't care if I am being mistreated.

All joking aside, you need to broaden your horizons. You are content because you only play Federation, and your Romulans are not Romulans, but Federation wannabes with battle cloaking ships. Most players want each of the factions to have a unique feel to them. Your not helping that.

I have a Republic character for each side, Federation, KDF, and a non-allied still stuck regrinding the first mission arcs and no PvP, DOFF, and advanced PvE options. That last one is the most "pure" Romulan character. Each ally has its strengths, but in short, they are shoehorned into being "mini" versions of the two primary factions.

I want the best of both allies WITHOUT having the commitment to one side or the other. In essence, I want a REAL Romulan faction. This is but one way to piecemeal that dream into a reality.

My horizons are just fine. A lot broader than yours.

We have different tastes. I don't mind that yours are different or feel any need to attempt to passive-aggressively silence you.

To re-iterate - because I know how much you love hearing it - I am perfectly happy with this aspect of Romulans and am perfectly happy to say so.

If, as you boldly claim, "most players" want otherwise, most players would be asking it. They're not. Consistently in every single thread where this is discussed, there's a mix of views on this topic.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So people are missing the positive criticism. I asked that if you have any thoughts on how to enhance the romulan game play then please share with us. All this flaming because you do not agree is unwelcome, this thread is to simply get feedback on peoples ideas that will enhance the romulan game play.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I asked that if you have any thoughts on how to enhance the romulan game play then please share with us.

I gave a good one in my first reply and also asked you a question about your suggestion number 5. Why do you make that suggestion?
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13741201&postcount=41

To not repeat posts.

And blue vs red side isn't even a real Star Trek.
    It never was a bi-polar universe to begin with. Cryptic should never go with this "Horde vs Alliance in space instead of Azeroth" if they were aiming at making ST game.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I gave a good one in my first reply and also asked you a question about your suggestion number 5. Why do you make that suggestion?

You did make a suggestion, did you wan't me to commit on your suggestion? I did not see it as a question.

My number 5 question is confusing you maybe? Federation ships still have their full ships when you change the bridge. Klingon ships still have their full ships when you change their bridges. C-Store or not they remain their full bridges, so why does the romulan ships not retain their full ship layout when you change the bridge. Not to mention they also do not have any options to place trophies.
  • Options
    bigchunk2bigchunk2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am a new player and can't make my own threads so this seems to be the closest one to my current issue:

I made a level 12 Romulan and picked federation. After asking myself many many questions I decided to level another Romulan and allied with the Klingons. Now I have two level 13 romulans one allied to each side and I am STILL wondering which one I should drop and which one I should continue leveling.

My concerns for each faction alliance are as follows:

Current concerns with FED:
    They are not as cool (roleplaying reasons)
    The KDF is probably a more tightly knit community because it is smaller.
    A desire for a balanced game between factions makes me want to pick the one with less players.

Concerns with going KDF:
    Numerous complaints on forums about incomplete content.
    PVE que times are non-existant
    I don't understand PVP at all, and how alliance affects it.
    Worried about a lack of player base for team missions, will I be a lonely sucker?

Can someone help me narrow down my choice? I feel like I don't know enough about the game to make the right decision.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bigchunk2 wrote: »
    I am a new player and can't make my own threads so this seems to be the closest one to my current issue:

I made a level 12 Romulan and picked federation. After asking myself many many questions I decided to level another Romulan and allied with the Klingons. Now I have two level 13 romulans one allied to each side and I am STILL wondering which one I should drop and which one I should continue leveling.

My concerns for each faction alliance are as follows:

Current concerns with FED:
    They are not as cool (roleplaying reasons)
    The KDF is probably a more tightly knit community because it is smaller.
    A desire for a balanced game between factions makes me want to pick the one with less players.

Concerns with going KDF:
    Numerous complaints on forums about incomplete content.
    PVE que times are non-existant
    I don't understand PVP at all, and how alliance affects it.
    Worried about a lack of player base for team missions, will I be a lonely sucker?

Can someone help me narrow down my choice? I feel like I don't know enough about the game to make the right decision.

Well currently you have more resources available to you as a Federation aligned. However, I would suggest you go with KDF as they are more the role players. The content is great regardless of your alignment. Besides the romulan content for kdf or fed are virtually the same. You can find role playing fleets on both sides so I would suggest you pick the one you like more, not because its bigger or more content but the one you like to be more.

Take a look at my fleet forum post, could be a good fit for ya.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=936851

Also the common complaints are not that bad. My gue times as KDF are ok but yes they are much better as fed. This does not stop me from having a blast as Romulan KDF.
  • Options
    bigchunk2bigchunk2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the reply (I was just about to go with federation).

Really my major concern at this point is if KDF do enough team play:

Can KDF do PVE content?

Do fleets do a lot of team games? Never joined a fleet before I don't know if that changes things.

Also what is pvp like? Are there a lot of pvp games and how do you get to them?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There is alot of team play for kdf. Even fleets that are primarily fed have alt kdf fleets that are decently leveled up and they do a lot of team play. I would suggest leveling up the class you feel is more suited for you and try to find a fleet that matches your play style. Before you do any reputation I would be sure you are happy with your faction. I personally believe there is enough of a player base on fed and kdf for you to have team play.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bigchunk2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply (I was just about to go with federation).

Really my major concern at this point is if KDF do enough team play:

Can KDF do PVE content?

Do fleets do a lot of team games? Never joined a fleet before I don't know if that changes things.

Also what is pvp like? Are there a lot of pvp games and how do you get to them?

Cryptic has strongly hinted that the Fed/KDF war might be coming to an end next year. I would assume such a move is to open up all content to cross faction teaming to try and address queue issues. PvP would likely be rebranded as "war Games".
  • Options
    jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    Cryptic has strongly hinted that the Fed/KDF war might be coming to an end next year. I would assume such a move is to open up all content to cross faction teaming to try and address queue issues. PvP would likely be rebranded as "war Games".

Probably the best move Cryptic could make at this point is to end this "cold" war. We certainly do not have an actual war anway. Given the tone of the missions both sides play calling it a war is laughable.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Having played a KDF a little I think Romulans do really well with marauding in terms of traits. Unscrupulous (common Romulan trait) is a great marauding trait. I know that's an effectiveness thing rather than a theme thing, which is what you're focused on. I'm just saying I'd imagine most KDF aligned Romulans are pretty happy with marauding. Especially with all the loot it generates.

I think what I like most about a Romulan KDF is that I can get a lot of doffs for playing and marauding alike for less than the klingon only counterparts. It isn't uncommon for a romulan security doff to be a fourth the price of a klink/gorn or whatever.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    reximuz wrote: »

Very interesting to hear, but I can say I saw that one coming. I always thought Romulans being allied with both was a stepping stone towards to that. It establishes a reason for it in the story and lets players get used to the idea of co-operation.

It's the most sensible way forward. They gave a 2 faction system a good try and it flopped. This being the IP it is, playing the Federation is too big a draw. Being more popular and older means they also have more ships... which only makes them more appealing.

I wonder how far they'll take it though. Will they drop all divisions (eg. including doff assignments and ships) or just drop the factional pvp and stfs? Many of the existing doff assignments on both sides wouldn't make sense without the war.
    sonnikku wrote: »
    I think what I like most about a Romulan KDF is that I can get a lot of doffs for playing and marauding alike for less than the klingon only counterparts. It isn't uncommon for a romulan security doff to be a fourth the price of a klink/gorn or whatever.

I was just thinking about raising a little rom marauder. Nice to know I can do it cheaply!
  • Options
    madman2828madman2828 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A simple request probably wrong place, ALL of the Tal Shiar uni options. :P