test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

can sto ever be glitch free

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
i have been playing sto from beta and yes back then there were glitches being a new game and all you expected that yet it still amazes me that there are glitches back then that are still not fixed today for example on Defera there is a misson where you have defra in borg alcoves which you must release and so on to date that misson has always glitched it has never been fixed another glitch not been fixed is the fleet uniform preview screen been glitched over a year now and i am sure you guys can name plenty more now i understand this game will always have glitches its unavoidable but you would think they would have fixed the older ones by now your thoughs guys
Post edited by r24681012 on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Will any MMO ever be glitch free? unlikely.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No. The more complex a system is, the more opportunities there are for something to break. This is a fact of reality.
    <3
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is also the question of cost vs benefit.
    I know the bug you mean as I run 3 toons though the Defera hard missions a day.
    The thing is that while annoying and a waste of time, we still go and play the mission.
    Because of that, lots if other issues are constantly being prioritised before it.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Short answer no, long answer...

... also no.

The Day STO is bug and glitch free, is the day the game shuts down...

Reason?

Quite simple: By the time the Devs have had time to kill all bugs, is also the time that they've spend so much time developing, correcting, testing and re-testing, that they did'n have time to make new content, wich also means that the players have been really really bored for a long time, and only the hardcore players will remain.

That also means that the game won't have been economically viable for a very long time
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No it will never be bug free.

They probably could sit down and fix every single bug no matter how long it took, but that would take quite a while, and the first new update they add would just rebreak a load of stuff.

some of the old ones will probably be so time consuming and tricky they just leave them as there are higher priorities. sad that some bugs will remain unresolved but probably not going to change.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The answer is actually yes. This can only happen if STO goes into maintenance mode and no new content is added to the game. After a few years of patching the various bugs, it would finally be bug-free. However, tons of people would have left the game leaving only a fraction by the time this happens.
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The answer is actually yes. This can only happen if STO goes into maintenance mode and no new content is added to the game. After a few years of patching the various bugs, it would finally be bug-free. However, tons of people would have left the game leaving only a fraction by the time this happens.

Isn't that what I said?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Isn't that what I said?

Not quite. One is fixing bugs at the expense of new content. The other is fixing bugs because there is no new content.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Truth be told, the root program (If I may use that term) is flawed, its like building on a unstable foundation, and as you add, it unravels at certain areas.

STO will never be bug free due to the game initial programming and poor maintenance. This is by far the buggiest game that I have ever played. Granted companies like bethsaida, Bioware etc.. to name a few, have contended with some bug issues, for the most part they only effected main gameplay until it was patched up, not so in STO.

Bugs have plagued main gameplay since its inception, only to re-emerged or grow worst with every season. Fixing BUGS is simply not Cryptic's priority, and only are patched at the Devs convenience. They simply may not have the support team dedicated for BUG squashing, doesn't make them money.

So they patch to maintain the game playable - its like the Millennium Falcon kept up with bubble gum and duct tape.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited November 2013
    In fairness... to do what you suggest would almost require recoding the entire game engine from scratch.. and might not work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not quite. One is fixing bugs at the expense of new content. The other is fixing bugs because there is no new content.

Well I thought I covered that at:
    that they did'n have time to make new content, wich also means that the players have been really really bored for a long time, and only the hardcore players will remain.
    stark2k wrote: »
    ~snip

You havn't played alot of games, have you?
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Will any MMO ever be glitch free? unlikely.

This right here. EVER game played on line has glitches. They will always be there, and they will never go away.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    This is by far the buggiest game that I have ever played. Granted companies like bethsaida, Bioware etc.. to name a few, have contended with some bug issues, for the most part they only effected main gameplay until it was patched up, not so in STO.

"Fallout" must not ring any bells, then? Fallout 3 and New Vegas have just as many if not more unpatched bugs, including some that lead to the games being notoriously unstable.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You havn't played alot of games, have you?
    Or ever engineered any software. Ever.

Funny story: When I was at HQ SAC (now USSTRATCOM) in the '80s, they'd run the Global Shield exercise, simulating WWIII, about three times a year. (It was colloquially known as "Global Goat-Rope"; most of the personnel involved agreed it was mostly just wasting time, at least after the simulated first exchange of nukes.)

Those of us in the software section would then pull long shifts, up to 24 hours at a time, fixing all the bugs in the code that the simulation revealed. Then we'd spend a month or so running test data through, finding the bugs we'd introduced while fixing the old bugs. Then we'd give the software over to the planners, who'd run their own data through and find more bugs. And inevitably, even this would leave some to be found during the next Global Goat-Rope.

tl;dr - there's no such thing as "software with no glitches". There is only "software we haven't found the glitches in yet." It's the reason why there are no truly autonomous weapons systems in the real world.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited November 2013
    You haven't played alot of games, have you?

On the contrary I have, just not super bugy as this one. A poster mentioned the Fallout series, I give him credit for that series, since I played it forever, including the great mods that the community makes for it.

That poster is correct in regards to the bugs, but I figure Fallout is far more complex than STO in regards to ground maps and content etc...
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited November 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Or ever engineered any software. Ever.

Funny story: When I was at HQ SAC (now USSTRATCOM) in the '80s, they'd run the Global Shield exercise, simulating WWIII, about three times a year. (It was colloquially known as "Global Goat-Rope"; most of the personnel involved agreed it was mostly just wasting time, at least after the simulated first exchange of nukes.)

Those of us in the software section would then pull long shifts, up to 24 hours at a time, fixing all the bugs in the code that the simulation revealed. Then we'd spend a month or so running test data through, finding the bugs we'd introduced while fixing the old bugs. Then we'd give the software over to the planners, who'd run their own data through and find more bugs. And inevitably, even this would leave some to be found during the next Global Goat-Rope.

tl;dr - there's no such thing as "software with no glitches". There is only "software we haven't found the glitches in yet." It's the reason why there are no truly autonomous weapons systems in the real world.
    Heh, some Unix shell utilities have a list of "known bugs" in the documentation. The ones I know of are mere graphical glitches. But they still exist, why? fixing them wasn't worth the effort required.

I used to write Qbasic programs and yeah... each additional feature you add to a program adds one more potential point for something to go wrong. I never did manage to figure out why my half-baked AIs would sometimes go nuts. Granted, I quit trying 10 years ago, but still....

It's really a matter of whether the bugs are severe enough to be game breaking. Costume clipping? zzz... wake me when you find a real problem. The game client crashing when certain abilities get activated? Now THAT is a real problem.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No piece of technology in the history of mankind has ever been bug free.
    edited November 2013
    No piece of technology in the history of mankind has ever been bug free.

..... Ditto
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited November 2013
    So ... no?

No. ..............
    edited November 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    There's plenty of it out there. Paperweight, rubber bands, toilet paper, the wheel... The problem is, bugs are a lot easier to spot when you can visually see moving parts. Once you go solid state...

I'm sure that everyone who has been accidentally injured by those objects, or had their house TPed, would vehemently disagree. :D
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    r24681012 wrote: »
    i have been playing sto from beta and yes back then there were glitches being a new game and all you expected that yet it still amazes me that there are glitches back then that are still not fixed today for example on Defera there is a misson where you have defra in borg alcoves which you must release and so on to date that misson has always glitched it has never been fixed another glitch not been fixed is the fleet uniform preview screen been glitched over a year now and i am sure you guys can name plenty more now i understand this game will always have glitches its unavoidable but you would think they would have fixed the older ones by now your thoughs guys

For something as complex as an MMORPG given the speed of development to satisfy the voracious appetite of players, the answer is no. This is a rule of thumb in the IT development world: "Fast, Good, Cheap. Pick two". It works out time after time, you can't have all three. Pushing on two of the choices, drives the third up/down in the bad direction. MMORPGs generally move towards Cheap and Fast so Good has to give way.

Now I'm not saying everything is in black and white. It's a balancing ask that all companies have to go through. The requirements for a game are certainly less demanding than something like control systems in cars and airplanes. MMORPGs aren't going to spend a huge amount of resources on Quality Assurance departments. A bug in an MMORPG isn't going to endanger 100s of lives.

Another prong on the choices is how much as you willig to spend/sacrifice for game updates. Are you willing to have only 1 game update in a year. And I absolutely mean one update a year (1/2 year of development and 1/2 of testing and bug fixing). Or are you willing to pay $150 a month for the game to be bug free. We already know the answer to that question so I won't go into it any further it.

Another aspect, the developers only have so many man-hours to get all work done. So choices to to be many of how much develop times goes into bug fixing. So new content vs fixing bug. Bear in mind some bug fixes are time intensive as developing new content. The perfect example is the decloaking "bug". It really wasn't a bug in the traditional sense. It was just the underlying game engine worked: Interact with something Cloak powers got turned off. They did change the game engine to make the decloaking a flag that can be turned on and off. But would need to touch every interaction in every mission in the game to make the changes regardless of what they choose to make the default.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It would take at least an entire season to fix the major things that are wrong with old systems. Just take a look at our Foundry master bug list. Good grief.

The game is really a mess. It would take a massive and concerted effort by all teams to clean up the game. That's not going to happen, unless they can put bug fixes in lock boxes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "Fallout" must not ring any bells, then? Fallout 3 and New Vegas have just as many if not more unpatched bugs, including some that lead to the games being notoriously unstable.

Yep, some of the big Bethesda titles had major problems and real gamebreakers up to a point that it corrupted your save or you couldn't advance in the main storyline. Work from the community (bugfixes and mods) as well as the console saved the day quite regularely...
    edited November 2013
    Yep, some of the big Bethesda titles had major problems and real gamebreakers up to a point that it corrupted your save or you couldn't advance in the main storyline. Work from the community (bugfixes and mods) as well as the console saved the day quite regularely...
    MoO3 was even worse as several basic aspects of gameplay were horribly broken and had to be "fixed" with Mods.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    MoO3 was even worse as several basic aspects of gameplay were horribly broken and had to be "fixed" with Mods.

Never play a Bethesda Game without mods. It's an unspoken rule now.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Short answer no, long answer...

... also no.

The Day STO is bug and glitch free, is the day the game shuts down...

Reason?

Quite simple: By the time the Devs have had time to kill all bugs, is also the time that they've spend so much time developing, correcting, testing and re-testing, that they did'n have time to make new content, wich also means that the players have been really really bored for a long time, and only the hardcore players will remain.

That also means that the game won't have been economically viable for a very long time

THANK YOU. At least someone else understands this. I bring this up when people talk about a "season of bug fixes." Usually this is met by people with bizarre arguments as to why it wouldn't matter that this would mean nearly a year without a season-type update. A few hours later they proceed to grouse about lack of content.