test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Can't I Keybind Controller buttons?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I have never had problems with customizing controls in other games in all the years I have been gaming. I have just set them up to how I wanted them and started playing. This is not true with the two Cryptic games I have played.

I have a steel series World of Warcarft gaming mouse I use because it has 15 programmable buttons. I like to have the jump button on my mouses thumb button but space wont work in either of Cryptic's games. It works in every other game I have played and in every program I have used. It will even work in the chat box but wont jump in the game. So I had to find a work around and use the tilde key. Since S2 it doesn't work any more and no key I program will work now but they will work in the chat box and every other program I use. So I can't jump or fire from the key I want to use.

So I decided to use my joystick but rudder and throttle are not mapped. Without the two of those mapped no use in using a joystick. Then I tried to use my Xbox 360 controller but couldn't map any of the buttons to the commands I wanted. I tried to use both the bind#1 and bind #2 slots and it wont recognize any of the buttons but it will turn in game though. I clicked on special and there are no joystick key buttons listed.

Is there something I am doing wrong trying to keybind my controller?

Why do I have to spend hours trying to configure basic commands in Cryptic's games?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    You know what is worse than that?

Go make a new toon captain.......

All your wonderful settings that you eventually configured dont transfer, nor is there a way to import them.

Every new toon character I make, I am forec to re-map my buttons to match my Nostromo pad.

Suuuure, it would all be better to set the nostromo to use the default binds, and bind them with the nostromo software, but why? I'm Inside the game, it should be intuitive!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know how to key bind controls with a control pad or joystick?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i know my game wont let me use G keys from my g11 board or the G keys on my gaming mouse, if anyone does now how to make the game see it feel free to message me cos its doin my head in quite a bit.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Englebert wrote:
    Does anyone know how to key bind controls with a control pad or joystick?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=91705&highlight=xbox
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Englebert wrote:
    I have never had problems with customizing controls in other games in all the years I have been gaming. I have just set them up to how I wanted them and started playing. This is not true with the two Cryptic games I have played.

I have a steel series World of Warcarft gaming mouse I use because it has 15 programmable buttons. I like to have the jump button on my mouses thumb button but space wont work in either of Cryptic's games. It works in every other game I have played and in every program I have used. It will even work in the chat box but wont jump in the game. So I had to find a work around and use the tilde key. Since S2 it doesn't work any more and no key I program will work now but they will work in the chat box and every other program I use. So I can't jump or fire from the key I want to use.

So I decided to use my joystick but rudder and throttle are not mapped. Without the two of those mapped no use in using a joystick. Then I tried to use my Xbox 360 controller but couldn't map any of the buttons to the commands I wanted. I tried to use both the bind#1 and bind #2 slots and it wont recognize any of the buttons but it will turn in game though. I clicked on special and there are no joystick key buttons listed.

Is there something I am doing wrong trying to keybind my controller?

Why do I have to spend hours trying to configure basic commands in Cryptic's games?

Xbox is a low budget computer and was designed for peasants and their pixley TVs.
  • Options
    ltdstradlinltdstradlin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Have to say I'm feeling very confused by the way STO handles controls. Basically, this is what happens:

I plug in Xbox 360 controller(Or alternatively, my PS3 controller with software that makes it emulate Xbox 360 controller). Then I make sure my PC recognizes it. I check every button, thumbstick etc is working properly on control panel. Then I start STO. In STO Options/Controllers, I make sure " Joystick" is DEactivated and " Xbox pads" is active. With this set up, buttons of the pad seem to work in log in screen. Thumb sticks work perfectly in-game&in space. However, once IN GAME every single button of the pad remains dead. I can't rebind anything in options. If they have any default binds at all, none of them is working for me. Problem is identical for both Xbox controller and PS3 controller emulating Xbox controller.

If I disable the emulator of my PS3 controller and simply use it as a Joystick, problem is identical. Thumbsticks work great, none of the buttons respond.

AArgh.

Is this normal? What am I supposed to do? This is first time I'm facing any compatibility issues with either of my pads in any game I've ever tried playing with either.

Thanks in advance:)
  • Options
    bravosixromeobravosixromeo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have been using a G13 for a couple years now, on several titles. I have had no issues assigning keybinds, including the rudder and throttle as mentioned by the OP. I reassigned a few keybinds (fire phasers, fire torpedoes, and distribute all shields) because the keyboard I originally had, didn't let those original keys to register in the game. Not sure why.

Anyways a suggestion, though I don't have the mouse you have. Check to make sure that the key press is set to fire off while pressed/held, and not a toggle or repeat. It could also be a limitation in your mouse controller software, check for an update. For the first year I had my G13, it wouldn't save profiles to the controller as advertised. Then they updated the drivers and software package, and it has worked fine since. Good luck.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is the wrong forum. I recently figured out how to make my joystick work with the game. see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This thread was more than 3 years old. o_O
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    This thread was more than 3 years old. o_O

Indeed.

Necropost (nee-kro-post)

1. (noun) A post which revives an inactive ("dead") conversation on a message board. It generally attracts others who attempt to kill it by fire.

2. (verb) The act of creating a necropost. DON'T DO IT!

Synonyms: Spamming

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies or has been inactive for over 30 days before someone replied to it just report it and avoid posting in it.

Please bear in mind that re-posting in "necro'd" threads is considered a form of spamming.

Note that you're more than welcome to post in an existing active topic or to start a new thread on the topic if there are no active topics already.

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.