test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R.I.P. Brian Griffin

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,001 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Ten Forward
Have just read that Brian Griffin as been sadly killed off. Family Guy will not be the same again.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/family-guy-kills-off-major-character-%E2%80%93-daily-tv-round-up-094857726.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was expecting it to be meg or chris. Brian is (was) a great character. show wont be the same without him.

at least it was not peter. they might as well have just shut the thing down if it was.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was expecting it to be meg or chris. Brian is (was) a great character. show wont be the same without him.

at least it was not peter. they might as well have just shut the thing down if it was.

Hopefully they might do a Dallas esque episode where it was all a dream. Stewie without Brian is like fries with no ketchup.
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Family Guy just got dropped from my weekly TV viewing routine. Brian and Stewie episodes were the biggest reason I still watched Family Guy.
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Any one remember when stewie killed lois, or when lois kills stewie?

They aren't above a fake out
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    TV producers have no sense at all.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    genesickazegenesickaze Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Keep in mind, in the course of the episode, Stewie destroyed his Time Machine, I have the feeling that in the next few episodes (or by the end of this season) it'll be repaired and Stewie will travel back to try and save Brian, as he realizes Vinny is not as nice as he appears. Vinny, of course will try to keep is now cushy lifestyle.

For the unaware, Vinny is the new dog. And he's Italian.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I can see this getting rectified some point later down the line. Seth MacFarlane isn't throwing away his rat pack voice that easily.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

That was my guess, too, as they are the only main characters whose voice actors don't do multiple voices. My first guess was Meg, though, since Mila Kunis doesn't do any other characters and Seth Green does some of the rarely seen background voices. I thought one of those two actors was moving on to other things.

But I highly doubt Brian will be gone more than a few episodes. He just became the Tasha Yar of Family Guy... ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How many episodes has a character(usually Meg) gotten killed in? A lot. In Meg's case she often just mysteriously showed up alive in the next ep with people acting like she never died.

Also I just flipped over that article, it's written strictly from the PoV of a person watching the show. It has no BG info.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm ... hard to believe Seth McFarlane is gonna stop doing his musical numbers ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Brian and Stewie dynamic was my favourite thing about the show, it won't be the same if they don't find some way to bring him back. If you relate it to Trek to me it's a bit like there being no Geordi/Data episodes like the Sherlock Holmes holodeck stories :).
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1. Upcoming Episodes :
    BACX?? Brian's a Bad Father
    BACX?? Brian the Closer

2. An unnamed episode will guest star Maya Rudolph as a runner whom Brian falls for and Glenn Howerton as the publisher of a children's book written by Joe. The episode is slated to air in the fall of 2014 even though Brian is dead.
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i had no idea but when i saw the episode i was in shocked to my core and i aint afraid to admit i cried.

There is rumor however that Seth did it cause he want family guy to end and it may be self sabotage to stop people liking it but why he simply would not say im done is strange.

lets just say i dont think ill watch family guy again.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't worry too much as - as soom as the ratings plummet (and they will, as for me too, the Stewie/Brian dynamic is what made the show watchable in recent years); Brian will return (Clone/Time Travel when Stewie finally fixes the Time Machine/Alternate Universe, etc.)

I guess McFarlane is getting senile if he thinks this is a good change for the long term viability of Family Guy.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Seth MacFarlane also voices Peter and Stewie as well as a bunch of the side characters so it's unlikely that he is trying to kill off the show, more than likely it's an attempt to shake things up a bit, Brian is slated to reappear in later episodes, probably Stewie being the mad evil genius type will clone him or something.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I honestly didn't care for the character of Brian. In fact, I'll go one step further and say I really don't care for Family Guy in its current incarnation. The characters have evolved in such a way as to make them unrelatable cliches.

Chris and Meg used to be portrayed as your normal teenage kids. Chris ended up becoming just as stupid as Peter, and Meg became the show's punching bag. Stewie used to be funny when it was clear he was some kind of evil mastermind, but after so many ham-fisted TRIBBLE jokes that got real old, real quick -- he really didn't seem like a character worth paying attention to. If I wanted a really tired TRIBBLE joke, I'd just watch Blades of Glory.

Brian was really the worst of the show for me. He used to be the viewer's obvious outlook on any given situation. Which was really the appeal of the character for me -- everyone in the family was deranged or dysfunctional in some way, but the family's dog was there to bring everything into perspective. He wasn't an intentional jerk, and he kind of just did his own thing while being able to get into just about any situation with all characters in the show.

But he really evolved into a massive jerk which made him less tolerable. He used to be a sounding board, but he eventually turned into this arrogant, egotistical know-it-all who had a habit of talking down to just about everyone at some point. While I don't mind politics, I liked the character of Brian better when he wasn't trying to politicize anything and everything.

It's clear this is an attempt to shake up the stagnation that is Family Guy, and I do respect Seth MacFarlane's work as an artist. I do believe he's a funny guy. But he's still only one guy, and his particular brand of humor seems to just be recycling everything in his shows that made people laugh the first time.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I guess McFarlane is getting senile if he thinks this is a good change for the long term viability of Family Guy.

I read one story that said Seth is getting tired of making the show and this was his way of sabotaging it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I read one story that said Seth is getting tired of making the show and this was his way of sabotaging it.

Apparently he's taking pointers from Rick Berman.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nobscunobscu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I quite liked the character of Brian. It's a shame to see him go out in the way he did, but I give credit to the writers and producers in making this ballsy move.

I feel like as long as they commit to the character's death, it could open up a lot more emotional depth and varying storyline possibilities in the show. To kill off a major character after eleven seasons isn't something done lightly. While it is sad to see the character, I won't be among the hundreds of raging petitioners requesting to revive the character because for some reason most of humanity is incapable of changes in any 15 second timeframe (See Youtube/Google+ integration)

As for the new character of Vinny, I hope they're able to develop the character as well as Brian, and even expand on the backstory which we heard a glimpse about in the aforementioned episode. I quite like Tony Sirico, and I think his voice can bring a uniqueness to the character that can truly make him in his own, as a pose to every twenty characters being voiced by Seth MacFarlane.

It's definitely a surprising twist for the show. I'm looking forward to how they take it from this direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013

16 years of the same show? I would. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They did the whole killed Lois, and Cleveland a few seasons ago. Then it was a "what if" simulator run by Stewie. Loved the fact Brian pointed out it was a huge "middle finger" to the fans. I bet they work out a ridiculous solution to bring back Brian.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My hope right now is that this isn't an indication that the show has "jumped the shark"...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Brian was the most arrogant, condescending POS ******* possible, I'll be glad if he stays dead. Can't stand Peter either. I try and bear in mind that the character is supposed to be mentally handicapped, but his abusiveness towards Meg just makes him unlikeable IMHO, and I'm constantly thinking that Lois deserves better.

Personally, I think Seth McFarlane is a mean-spirited little manchild, who ridicules/borderline slanders, female celebs who most likely turned him down (seems the only logical explaination for his inclusions of them, and he strikes me as the kind of guy who tries punching above his weight, and who then turns nasty when he gets turned down...) That said, he would appear to be a gifted if frustrated musical writer, and would probably be much happier as a person doing that. IMHO
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My first thought that when they killed of brian was, holy TRIBBLE why is this show still on :P
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE