test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WTF does my character click his/her heels and salutes when recieving an order?

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
First Voth reputation mission cutscene.

It is bad enough we have the salute emote to begin with. But why does my character has to do it in a cutscene? I know Cryptic doesn't really care about anything that happend or was depicted in Star Trek, but never ever, at least to my knowledge, was the militry salute habit depicted in any incarnation of Star Trek, at least with Starfleet. Other species militaries (which starfleet isn't) might do it, though it is no silly earth military salute either.
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to mention only Level 50s have access to the Sphere and that means we are Admirals and Generals saluting someone significantly lower in rank. :rolleyes:
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to mention only Level 50s have access to the Sphere and that means we are Admirals and Generals saluting someone significantly lower in rank. :rolleyes:

I didn't really wanted to go there, but I might add:

Some Romulan Dude: "We were recieving a encrypted Voth transmission".
    Our Character: "The Voth? Aren't we fighting them?" (Duuuuuuh?)

Our characters are truly the most dull and incompetent dudes they could find. Remember how Captain "This is" Kurland has to remind our characters repeatedly not to touch the hot plasma stream? :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Subcommander Kaol: We need you to go do this this and this

Admiral Rylana Dionysis: Get your TRIBBLE out of that chair and snap to it.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »

Our characters are truly the most dull and incompetent dudes they could find. Remember how Captain "This is" Kurland has to remind our characters repeatedly not to touch the hot plasma stream? :D

Oh come on our characters have been declared officially braindead by "Divide et Impera". Everything after that are just convulsions of a vegetable.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm fine with starfleet using the European military salute (which nowadays pretty much became with some varieties the standard salute for all military personnel on earth) since starfleet is majorily made up from humans and they are one of the founding races of the federation.

The other two factions however should have their own salutes. It doesn't really makes sense that Romulans and Klingons make the very same gesture which derivated from the handmove of opening a European late medieval/early modern helmet.

On the other hand, since Romulans are so heavily influenced by the Roman Empire/Republic, giving them the historical correct Roman salute will only end up drawing a lot of dimwits to the forums claiming that Romulans make 'OMFG TRIBBLE SALUTES!!!1one'.
    edited November 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    I'm fine with starfleet using the European military salute (which nowadays pretty much became with some varieties the standard salute for all military personnel on earth) since starfleet is majorily made up from humans and they are one of the founding races of the federation.

The other two factions however should have their own salutes. It doesn't really makes sense that Romulans and Klingons make the very same gesture which derivated from the handmove of opening a European late medieval/early modern helmet.

On the other hand, since Romulans are so heavily influenced by the Roman Empire/Republic, giving them the historical correct Roman salute will only end up drawing a lot of dimwits to the forums claiming that Romulans make 'OMFG TRIBBLE SALUTES!!!1one'.

But Starfleet doesn't do that. I cannot comprehend why that emote is in this game to begin with. That's my primary point. Aside from the fact that according to the animation style the character could without a doubt shout "Jawohl mein F?hrer" while doing so... XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2013

But it was so shiny...
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I want a Royal Navy salute!
    Oh and my KDF / RSE characters to do their canon salutes.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited November 2013

Klingons do have their own salute, it's a balled up fist across the chest. You know, the Qa'pla emote. :P

We seen Romulans salute in TOS: Balance of Terror, it's the same as Klingons. Across the chest. Only difference is that Klingons was a quick thump on the chest, while Romulans was graceful.

Oy, we sure are the cr?me of the crop, aren't we? :P
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's the same reason why in cutscenes, characters gesticulate and comically wag their fingers while talking, because the animation department doesn't know how to animate characters without making them look ridiculous.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now they are complaining about the salute emote? Boy.. I've seen it all now..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    actualy im pretty sure during the funeral scene in wok we see salutes.

Also rank has little to do with a salute as if you are saluted you must return the gesture.

that aside the romulan you ate saluting is technically your superior since he is in command of the entire dyson sphere operation.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
    edited November 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Now they are complaining about the salute emote? Boy.. I've seen it all now..

I can't speak for anybody else, but yeah it irks me to no end. Even if like disposeableh3r0 said there are salutes during the funeral at WoK the gesture has not been shown anywhere in Starfleet day-to-day business and it actually plays a part in the childish militarization of the whole franchise. I know that Cryptic doesn't give anything about the IP they are using for their space game but I still try to see everything they implement in comparision to the thing they claim to love.

Some people don't care at all. They would play Fifa Soccer, Call of Duty or Need for Speed and say it's totally Star Trek because I don't know why. But I at least point out especially minor details I'd like to know what they were thinking. Well, probably because the animation set was only copied over from their other game but now they implemented it in the game's "lore".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited November 2013
    actualy im pretty sure during the funeral scene in wok we see salutes.

Afraid they didn't. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes this is a very small thing to complain about. But it's the sum of such "small things" that adds up and completely destroys my Star Trek feeling.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    It's the same reason why in cutscenes, characters gesticulate and comically wag their fingers while talking, because the animation department doesn't know how to animate characters without making them look ridiculous.

Actually, it's because all character animations in STO, excluding only Star Trek specific ones like Kllingon/Vulcan/TNG/some dances, are shared across all Cryptic games and were originated in Champions Online.

And the latter game has very slapstick/cartoon feel.

Which is why this salute doesn't fit into Star Trek at all. >_>

Yeah, getting rid of it from cutscenes would be the best.
  • sciva#8513 sciva Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Meh, most people probably skip every cutscene they can anyway.

It's an RPG, the Quest Giver is your Master. All of you. He says jump, you ask how high (if the dialogue box gives you that option). Rank, thats just words. :D
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013

Cryptic I'll give you 5000 Zen for that :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!