test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No more Vice Admirals!

Comments

• comic1996comic1996 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »

Junior Captain: Just got that 4th pip but you're VERY low on the seniority since you just got promoted.

Senior Captain: You've moved up on the seniority, getting a bigger ship in recognition.

Fleet Captain: You're one of the most senior Captains in the federation. Poised to take that next step as a Rear Admiral, but not quite ready but you command the biggest and best ships in the fleet.

It sound cool yet I don't think that the game is just going to do that when the ranks have been this way for years.
  • srgtburglarsrgtburglar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It would be nice at some point to be at some time to promote your AI Boffs to command your ships in the event you just got tired of them and sent them to do some missions.

Think of it as those dumb fantasy manager/ coaching games EA likes to come out with

I think it's a hell of an idea personally
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
    You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After I lol'd, I totally agree. At the very least there should be an option to have npc's and boffs address you as a chosen rank, clearly it would be possible because the same missions will address you i different ways depending on your rank whilst you do the mission.

I totally wouldnt be slumming about the galaxy in a bird of prey if I were a General, grinding reputation so I could have someone grant me the opportunity to buy choice gear.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was a bit annoyed at captains giving me orders like I was below them.

It should be reworked, so that if you're an admiral when you do the ds9 missions, then the captain on ds9 would say "Admiral, Command has given me operational authority to oversee the assault to retake DS9, and they say you're the best at special ops. Your orders are to report to me, sir."

And if you're Captain or lower, he can talk to you like that because he is the senior captain and has operational authority over the Bajoran Sector.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would of just gone as far as Capt. unless you took on a special assignment which lead you on to RA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • chance74chance74 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I always thought it would be a cool way to address the Admiral's rank by allowing you to assign your BOFF NPCs to command ships in your inventory.

It would give you some reason to build up multiple good ships rather than just focusing on one.

Then when you were flying around in sector space or whatever they would follow you in formation just like they do on the ground.

Anyway, just my $0.02
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    chance74 wrote: »
    I always thought it would be a cool way to address the Admiral's rank by allowing you to assign your BOFF NPCs to command ships in your inventory.

It would give you some reason to build up multiple good ships rather than just focusing on one.

Then when you were flying around in sector space or whatever they would follow you in formation just like they do on the ground.

Anyway, just my $0.02

I would love to be able to call my reserve fleet for things like the fleet support ability and similar.
    I do think they won't have people flying around sector space with a fleet in tow at this point as it is already pretty crowded out there. Ships would need to be half scale in sector space and that space enlarged to keep crowding down. Then they would have to boost warp speed effects to keep flying from mission to mission from becoming boring. Imagine laying in a course for Risa from Sol and then going out for a sandwich.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Anyway, just my $0.02

Wow to op, now onward to this ^ want, it would be a great replacement for Fleet support. And seeing the R.R.W. Moon Wolf coming to the aid of the A.R.W. Moon Wolf would be super
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The rank thing isn't the only "immersion-breaker", alongside with that, if you're assigned command of one ship, technically, your old command is assigned to someone else. They don't "throw her in a shipyard somewhere to await it's former commander's beck & call", much less you still getting to decide what equipment etc etc is installed.
    As I posted in another thread, I kind of look at my characters as "faction-related", ie, I'm someone working with Starfleet/KDF/RR, and have an assigned rank so it sets where you are in the grand scheme of things, however, I'm not as bound to rules & regs as a "true" Starfleet (or KDF or RR) officer. And all these old ships lying around in my personal dockyards, apparently, Starfleet & the other militaries went on such a ship-building spree, that they can afford to give them away. The only one's that make sense that you personally own them, would be the "lockbox" ships, and MU ships, since this universe never made them, you could technically claim them as salvage and do whatever the hell you wanted with them. And the festival ships also, since it's a particular "gift" from the event coordinator(s), such as Risa giving you the 'vette, or Q mind-washing the Breen into letting you have the Chel Grett. And even the 3rd anniv ship (the Ambassador refit), apparently, since it's a totally decommissioned ship class, that Starfleet wished to no longer keep in their inventories, they gave them all away like candy. And even the standard Ambassodor they're despeteraly tring to give away to people. (And the KDF is doing the same with the Kamarag and Kamarag refits)
    Also explains why all my characters can support each other, in terms of money & equipment. Since we're not truly part of that faction, we don't have to abide by "not fraternizing with the enemy".:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Anyway, just my $0.02

Well from the scuttlebutt, when the level cap is increased and we all go up in rank to admiral, the word is, you'll be able to promote BOFFs to captain and they will take command of ships in your inventory and you will have up to 5 ships when you go do a mission. Though I think in sector space you'll only have one or non-mission areas only one.

I don't know exactly how it will work, but it will be something to that effect.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • skullleaderrfbsskullleaderrfbs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well from the scuttlebutt, when the level cap is increased and we all go up in rank to admiral, the word is, you'll be able to promote BOFFs to captain and they will take command of ships in your inventory and you will have up to 5 ships when you go do a mission. Though I think in sector space you'll only have one or non-mission areas only one.

Sounds like an away team except in space. Might be interesting.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pulserazor wrote: »
    I totally wouldnt be slumming about the galaxy in a bird of prey if I were a General, grinding reputation so I could have someone grant me the opportunity to buy choice gear.

Both Martok and Chang did (except the grinding part).
    edited November 2013

Cool! I could get into that. I wonder if you will be able to assign more BOFFs to your BOFF's ships? :)

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I thinking.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013

There is also the system that is similar to the duty officer system except you send ships out instead of duty officers.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cool! I could get into that. I wonder if you will be able to assign more BOFFs to your BOFF's ships? :)

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I thinking.
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is also the system that is similar to the duty officer system except you send ships out instead of duty officers.

But here's the catch, now you have to focus in on one of your toons, because now you need 5 POWERFUL ships, not just one. So how much more grinding, Zen are you going to need to pump up your ships?

Plus now you need 5 VA level or Admiral level ships when the cap is increased.

I can tell you now, people with deep pockets, going to leave all of us behind. I'd start grinding now to get 5 strong ships if you don't already have them, even at the expense of very low level ships, or open up that Zen and start increasing the size of your space dock.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited November 2013
    But here's the catch, now you have to focus in on one of your toons, because now you need 5 POWERFUL ships, not just one. So how much more grinding, Zen are you going to need to pump up your ships?

I can tell you now, people with deep pockets, going to leave all of us behind. I'd start grinding now to get 5 strong ships if you don't already have them, even at the expense of very low level ships, or open up that Zen and start increasing the size of your space dock.

I don't know, I'm about 90% free to playing and I would feel comfortable with my stockpile of ships.

I've spent a little zen here and there. I bought the Sao Paulo when I was a Cmdr and bought FSMs for the Fleet Excelsior when I finally got there. But almost everything else I use besides some uniforms is free.
    edited November 2013

4 Tier 5 ships have already been given for free, the Risian Corvette, the Nebula, the Breen ship, and the Obelisk Carrier. We will likely get at least 2 more free ships with the next Winter and Summer event. There is also the Tier 5 ships that cost dilithium. So while people with deep pockets or no sense will have the better ships, not everyone will have low level ships. Besides content will not be based on players having 5 JHAS, but just regular Tier 5 ships.
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    He's got a point.

Making everyone an admiral is a obvious misconception by Cryptic.
    If they knew Star Trek better then the would have known that the rank of admiral isn't what everyone wants to be. Even in the series it is mentioned several times that it is the rank of Captain everyone is keen on.

But as always, Cryptic obviously though "more is better" (= exaggerating everything) so they made everyone an Admiral. :rolleyes:

^^^^+1 in agreement!
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2013
    shanis281 wrote: »
    Please... we're all ship captains. This Admiral rank thing is silly. If you insist on making us all Admirals then I will hole myself up in a system with a starbase and claim that I command all of it, as befit my rank as a three-star Admiral. Then I'll sit in the Starbase commander's office and do paperwork. Occasionally I will attend meetings, and dictate policy to other ships.

Starfleet will be all "we need you to save us from the Voth" or whatever, but I'll be like "talk to my chief of staff, I'm just slammed with meetings today. Maybe tomorrow."

"But where's Sulu?" :)
  • natthaannatthaan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I rather like the Admiral Rank, how ever at the same time im an Admiral in my fleet, so i use the Rank more often, It can be fun, however i fully support the choice of the players wanting to be called captain
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Do we *really* want to become actual Admirals (as opposed to the already silly "Admiral in Name only", which is already too much of a flag rank)?

This is Star Trek. The heroes are captains of a single, special ship and its crew.

Keep in mind that once such a thing is introduced, it will be the default gameplay for anything. Our days as captains would be gone forever. That would be terrible, in my opinion.

This part of "we" does. Honestly, if the admiralty ranks were the biggest problem in the game, I would be ecstatic.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "But where's Sulu?" :)

"Captain Sulu, he's on assignment." :P

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited November 2013
    This part of "we" does. Honestly, if the admiralty ranks were the biggest problem in the game, I would be ecstatic.

Same here. We should have Admiral content if we are Vice Admirals and not every Admiral is a coward that hides behind a desk.

As I mentioned before, what we need is a Rank Selector similar to the Title Selector which npcs use as reference. Some of the titles should be in the Rank Selector like Master Chef.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As I mentioned before, what we need is a Rank Selector similar to the Title Selector which npcs use as reference. Some of the titles should be in the Rank Selector like Master Chef.

I think you have Master Chef confused with Master Chief.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yes, Master Chief is a contraction of the Naval rank Master Chief Petty Officer; the most famous Master Chief is, of course, Master Chief Petty Officer John S-117, the protagonist of the Halo games.

Master Chef, on the other hand, is a power-armor-clad head chef created by Slapperfish in Champions Online.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

Master Chef is an actual title you can get in Star Trek Online. Master Chief doesn't exist in Star Trek Online. So I don't have it confused. Because it sounds like Master Chief which was made popular with the Halo series, then Master Chef is a fun title to use.
  • sinnaj63sinnaj63 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think what we need is a office minigame, kinda boring, but also kinda exciting. You get rewards better than anything else for conisdering strategies, moving fleets, defending colonies and engaging enemies. By making this about different enemies, itwould also be possible to get (minor amounts of) Reputation Project Marks from the Minigame.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Master Chef is an actual title you can get in Star Trek Online. Master Chief doesn't exist in Star Trek Online. So I don't have it confused. Because it sounds like Master Chief which was made popular with the Halo series, then Master Chef is a fun title to use.

Not as a playable rank, but Master Chief does exist as a DoFF rank.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ten_of_Ten_%28Technician%29

EDIT: lol only 4 days late on my reply hehe