What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Faction #4: Who Could It Be?

Comments

• lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    How about a 'New Dominion' faction
    The problem I see (and it is an unfortunate one, for otherwise I can actually see many ways for a Dominion faction to work) is that for it to be accepted as a Dominion faction, it would have to have the Dominion ships at least - and that means Cryptic is faced with the same problem as with the Galor, except even worse (what with having one of their ships be a lockbox drop, one of their ships be a Lobi buy, and one of their ships be a limited-time drop from duty officer packs).
    azniadeet wrote: »
    The storyline could involve Odo's ethics clashing with the female changeling's upon her return to the link.
    Hm, I don't think that would work. One thing we can be fairly certain of is that the Feature Episodes will be available for all factions - which wouldn't be possible if the starting event for a faction occurs after one. Since the Female Changeling's release is such an important part of the 2800 FE series, they can't really retcon it out.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Hm, I don't think that would work. One thing we can be fairly certain of is that the Feature Episodes will be available for all factions - which wouldn't be possible if the starting event for a faction occurs after one. Since the Female Changeling's release is such an important part of the 2800 FE series, they can't really retcon it out.

The whole concept of having a Dominion faction before the 2800 series makes no sense. The rewards from it can be added to the regular missions. Could do the first two episodes, but then we just bring out our Founder and the series ends prematurely.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Cryptic from preventing certain factions from doing certain missions. Also, Cryptic could just put all the Dominion/Cardassian lockbox ships available for free or in the C-Store. It makes sense for them to have those ships so there is no point in forcing Dominion players to open duty officer packs for a JHAS. Of course, if they get it, then they can sell it.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not quite the same. The Cardassian government is still the same government even though it is under new management. A new government is not formed every 4 years in the US. The Detapa Council was ruling before Dukat and it is ruling after Dukat.

However, every four years (barring a second term), the administration is allegedly different with allegedly different policies.

...Allegedly.

Oh, and I would point out that the British use the word "government" in the same way we use "administration" in the states. And I was using it in the British manner. Don't forget that not everyone here is an American and using terminology in quite the same way.
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The whole concept of having a Dominion faction before the 2800 series makes no sense. The rewards from it can be added to the regular missions. Could do the first two episodes, but then we just bring out our Founder and the series ends prematurely.
    Not at all. Just make certain the only Founder in the faction accessible from the Alpha Quadrant is the Female Changeling (DS9 during The 2800 is itself precedent for a place being cut off storywise but still accessible in gameplay). There are other problems, to be sure, but not insurmountable ones, given sufficient access to previous voice-actors and resources to record new lines.
  • yudhistiroyudhistiro Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I want a playable Tribble captain
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To be honest I think the Cardassians would be a pretty boring faction to play unless Cryptic implemented a full "Bad guys" faction like the Romulans should have been. End the Klingon/Federation war and start a second Cardassian/Dominion war.

The only other thing I could think that might be interesting is if a Dominion/Cardassian mini faction was created and the founders ask the Federation/KDF for help in defeating an unknown enemy in the Gamma quadrant. it would be in the best interest of the KDF/Feds to work together to help the Dominion survive or the unknown enemy would gain free access to the wormhole. (Better the devil you know than the devil you don't).
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really think it would be a bad idea to add a faction for every empire in the Star Trek universe, particularly if all factions will have shared morality and goals on the whole and team-up against common threats. And if the ROMULANS aren't bad guys then no faction will be, realistically.

I think what's called for to finish off factions for the game is a non-aligned/mercenary faction with multiple unique tutorials covering how you lose your alignment or wind up in mercenary service.

So... Cardassians get booted from the military, Ferengi get cut off by Grand Nagus Rom, Talaxians make their way to the Alpha Quadrant, humans get in Harry Mudd style legal trouble, Klingons get discommended through treachery, Romulans reject the Republic and the Tal Shiar, etc. etc. Unique level 1-5.

At level 5, you start out in a bar on a Nimbus style planet. You choose to favor Federation or Klingons more. The ships are a mix of non-Klingon, non-Federation, non-Romulan ships. No Galor or D'Kora but possibly including other Cardassian and Ferengi ships.

The game should really be capped off at four factions. You're not goig to get a faction with divergent morality and too many factions needlessly splits profits and serves as a resource drain. So what's needed is everybody not in the big three lumped together in a fourth faction. You can have unique 1-5 tutorials, costume parts, and some extra dialogue for the bigger species.

I've seen one size fits all "miscellaneous" factions work VERY well in both official and fan-produced Trek games. And I've seen attempts to represent every empire as a gameplay faction tank or drive people away due to the complexity while acting as a resource drain, most of the time.

On the off chance that you succeed, there's still an opportunity cost associated with it. It means you don't get that second ground revamp, even better reputation system, remastered missions, exploration revamp, that extra featured episode. It means you get less ships, less tailor bugs fixed, less new ways to develop your bridge officers.

At a certain point, there has to be a final cap put on more factions, I think, or that becomes what the game is about: what the next faction is.

I can see one more but it has to be an "everybody else" faction or we'd be better off just sticking with the three.
  • masternecromanmasternecroman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The thing most of you are forgetting is that the new faction will have to be compatible with all of the shared episodes. So no Cardasians. The Xindi saound like a fair choice and they have some really nice ships.
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It will be Umpa Lumpa's with rocket launchers on their frikin backs !
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There will not be a 4th faction, ever.
    edited November 2013
    pulserazor wrote: »
    There will not be a 4th faction, ever.

Ever is an awfully long time, why so sure?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ever is an awfully long time, why so sure?

Because we're still waiting for a real 3rd faction instead of some pretend non-faction shoehorned into the existing 2-factions-only system?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Because we're still waiting for a real 3rd faction instead of some pretend non-faction shoehorned into the existing 2-factions-only system?

We are not getting an actual third faction. If the Romulans were made into what they currently are and not a separate faction, then all other future factions won't be made into an actual faction. All we will get is additional mini-factions which are a lot easier to do than actual factions.
    edited November 2013

Come on it is as diverse as the Feds and Empire are, the couple first episodes are unique and than the higher ups are the same more or less for everyone.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The problem I see (and it is an unfortunate one, for otherwise I can actually see many ways for a Dominion faction to work) is that for it to be accepted as a Dominion faction, it would have to have the Dominion ships at least - and that means Cryptic is faced with the same problem as with the Galor, except even worse (what with having one of their ships be a lockbox drop, one of their ships be a Lobi buy, and one of their ships be a limited-time drop from duty officer packs).

There could be two/three versions of the Galor. A lesser (maybe Tier 3) vesion for use with Dominion players, and then the Lockbox Tier 5 version for use with any faction, the Dominion players could also have access to a third Fleet version.

Relatively easy solution: arrange the story arc so that the 2800 is one of the first missions the player goes through after the tutorial. It would take some tweaking, but it could be done. Bring the character through that FE before they make a decision on allegiance, then by the end of the level 10 arc, the New Dominion is settled in the Alpha Quadrant.
  • matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i know it will never happen but i would love to see the voth as a playable faction. I'd be happy with a voth playable race for fed/kdf/rom
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hirogen! gotta love dem pirates! :D
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I personally would like a Hugh-like liberated borg faction but it won't happen.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Enh... Vreenak was an Imperial Romulan. I'm not sure how much the Republic would care.

--> Vreenak power of Observation - click this link for more FAAAAAKE !!!

Now for your enjoyment xD

---> We just make some SH*& UP!
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really think it would be a bad idea to add a faction for every empire in the Star Trek universe, particularly if all factions will have shared morality and goals on the whole and team-up against common threats. And if the ROMULANS aren't bad guys then no faction will be, realistically.

I think what's called for to finish off factions for the game is a non-aligned/mercenary faction with multiple unique tutorials covering how you lose your alignment or wind up in mercenary service.

So... Cardassians get booted from the military, Ferengi get cut off by Grand Nagus Rom, Talaxians make their way to the Alpha Quadrant, humans get in Harry Mudd style legal trouble, Klingons get discommended through treachery, Romulans reject the Republic and the Tal Shiar, etc. etc. Unique level 1-5.

At level 5, you start out in a bar on a Nimbus style planet. You choose to favor Federation or Klingons more. The ships are a mix of non-Klingon, non-Federation, non-Romulan ships. No Galor or D'Kora but possibly including other Cardassian and Ferengi ships.

The game should really be capped off at four factions. You're not goig to get a faction with divergent morality and too many factions needlessly splits profits and serves as a resource drain. So what's needed is everybody not in the big three lumped together in a fourth faction. You can have unique 1-5 tutorials, costume parts, and some extra dialogue for the bigger species.

I've seen one size fits all "miscellaneous" factions work VERY well in both official and fan-produced Trek games. And I've seen attempts to represent every empire as a gameplay faction tank or drive people away due to the complexity while acting as a resource drain, most of the time.

On the off chance that you succeed, there's still an opportunity cost associated with it. It means you don't get that second ground revamp, even better reputation system, remastered missions, exploration revamp, that extra featured episode. It means you get less ships, less tailor bugs fixed, less new ways to develop your bridge officers.

At a certain point, there has to be a final cap put on more factions, I think, or that becomes what the game is about: what the next faction is.

I can see one more but it has to be an "everybody else" faction or we'd be better off just sticking with the three.

I think I like this idea. :D

At least up to a point.

They could "bolt in" a new race at any time simply by adding a new set of starter missions or further customizing what's available.

I'm not convinced that they won't eventually introduce a Cardassian and/or Liberated Borg mini-faction. There's certainly at least a little demand for those. However, I predict that we won't see those happen until it makes sense to fit into the game's overall storyline and when Cryptic needs a new hook to monetize with.

And that's where we start to run into problems with this "mercenary" faction. The monetization potential is there, but the demand might not be. And unless they can make it fit in with the long-term storyline, it will never happen.

So... maybe Cryptic should take a page from the "Star Trek: Renegades" playbook. Have the player start out as an outlaw or independent that gets sucked into joining a clandestine, cross-faction operation to do the "dirty jobs" that the mainstream forces can't do. I'd have Drake blackmailing them into it, and let that be the turning point for whether the character allies with Starfleet or the Empire. And tie that in to the Iconian storyline somehow.

All they need is a great hook that makes players want to roll up a character, and they're set. For some of us, the opportunity to give Drake some kind of come-uppance would be plenty. Access to "Black-Market" vendors with reduced prices would attract others.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • hargbokhargbok Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thier isnt 3 factions the romulans are either fed/klink thier not thier own faction yet. Id rather see romulans truly be thier own faction and be given the option to join the tal shiar or rr. So thier cant really be a a 4th faction as romulans arent thier own faction yet lol.

Cardassians are most likely the next species. Personally id rather see playable liberated borg as a faction would be awesome to see what happened to that hugh guy and id so love to see lor be involved and meddling and be a stf would be cool
    Darmok and jalad at tenegra
    edited November 2013
    hargbok wrote: »
    thier isnt 3 factions the romulans are either fed/klink thier not thier own faction yet. Id rather see romulans truly be thier own faction and be given the option to join the tal shiar or rr. So thier cant really be a a 4th faction as romulans arent thier own faction yet lol.

People, we can beat that crippled horse as long as we like, but it's not gonna make it cross the finish line.

As far as Cryptic is concerned, the Romulans are done. They've already explained the path they took, and their reasons for doing what they did haven't changed so far. They now have excellent reasons to leave it alone for a long, long time.

Whether Cryptic will create a new "mini-faction" is not a done deal. They might and they might not. They have gone on record saying that they might. This thread is about speculating what might happen if they do.

It's not about rehashing the Romulans yet again. Totally different topic that you are welcome to take up in a different thread.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I find it interesting that anyone thinks there will ever be a 4th faction. We have the 'big 3' so it wouldn't surprise me if they were done.
    edited November 2013
    I find it interesting that anyone thinks there will ever be a 4th faction. We have the 'big 3' so it wouldn't surprise me if they were done.

Only because Cryptic has mentioned at times that they're open to the possibility, and a recent comment by Geko in an interview that made it sound like there could be some actual movement in that direction.

Nothing confirmed, but enough to cause speculation.

I'm already on record as being mostly uninterested in playing a Cardassian, so if that's the way it goes they'll have to work hard to get me to be enthusiastic about it. :D
    edited November 2013
    There will be a 4th sometime next year read it here:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content

Cryptic gave a hit even in the podcast. It sounds like the Cardassians but I am curious how would they implement that.
    edited November 2013
    There will be a 4th sometime next year read it here:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content

Cryptic gave a hit even in the podcast. It sounds like the Cardassians but I am curious how would they implement that.

I wouldn't take the STO wiki too literally.

I'll believe it when they start trying to hype it and be all mysterious and tease it. That means it's past the concept stage, it's been actively developed, and they've put it on the schedule.

I'm happy to leave the timing at that. I believe there will be more factions because they've said they want to do them and they've put the framework for it in place.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I could see two new factions:

- The Cardassians:

unresolved storyline, established enemies with the "true way", iconic species that appeared in 3 series, tons of established lore, design, ships, ranks, uniforms, organizations, characters - both from the shows as well as the novels. They're probably the species and faction with the most developed background besides the Klingons and Vulcans and even have a large presence in the mirror universe storylines.

- The Ferengi:

same as with the Cardassians. They have tons of content that can be included, Lots of characters from the shows whose fate is unresolved, they're still unalligned with any of the two major factions.

The only things that might count against them is that they're not very warlike, which is something STO places a large emphasis on and the fact that they're not very customizable.
  • payback99payback99 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »

The Xindi would be cool, but with five (possibly six) unique species, I honestly can't see Cryptic pulling them off to satisfaction. They'd be ruined. Not to mention how do you play as an Xindi Aquatic or Avian? That would take some serious gameplay mechanic changes. I'd love to see an Xindi-arc story (could always throw a story out where the Sphere Builders are subjects of the Iconian; when the Iconian fall (they will) there Sphere Builders take over which leads to the Battle of Procyon V).

I would however favor the Xindi (the humanoid versions at least) being made available to existing factions. They'd need to be available to all factions though, not just the mighty Federation.

The Xindi would be cool as a full faction. As for the Aquatic and Avians(arnt the avians extinct?) the Aquatic could use a Photonic Avatar for ground missions or you would just control an Officer on away missions.

Un-Indoctrinated Voth would be a cool mini Faction but I think they would have to make the ships a little different then the lockbox ones or people might complain.