test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recent Leech Fix

shrapne11shrapne11 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
The recent leech fix did nothing to stop leeching in this game which has gone to the point of being beyond ridiculous. Tonight I have run numerous instances of The Breach and Storming The Spire and in all but 1 we had at least 1 leecher and in some we had multiple leechers.

Some rush in and die never respawning while others fly just outside of combat range doing circles until the instance is nearly over then they come in and fire a shot or two. Then others simply never leave the spawn point.

Other games resolve this quite nicely by have actual GM's in the game. In that case you simply post a GM help request and they come in, evaluate the situation and ban the leecher. In this game you turn in a GM help request and nothing ever happens. In most games GM's are volunteers who have a strict set of rules to follow and if they are found abusing those rules they get punished so it costs the developer nothing but significantly increases the customer service satisfaction of paying customers.

The only way to resolve the leeching problem is for leechers to start getting temporary and permanent bans from the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by shrapne11 on

Comments

• nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Couldn't agree more, leechers ruin the game for the others by making it much harder or impossible to finish bonus objectives. And really, why shoudl they reap rewards for that?
  • dorlos2dorlos2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Agreed!

Last week I was in a Kithomer Vortex STF with 3 (three!) leechers.
    Yesterday (same STF) there was someone always attacking one of the Transwarp Conduits, getting destroyed, respawned and attacking the same gate again, dying, respawn, attack again. It was like an automated bot.
  • bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A simple fix for this would be in these instances the user is either automatically logged out for just sitting there or thrown out if the game detects no shots being fired. Also for STFs where players leave before the boss to avoid cool down just have the warp out button disabled and if they want to leave they can log out and back in only to find. Yup a 20 min cool down! ;)
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • muwatalimuwatali Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Or at least give us the possibilty to shoot them... that way we can at least have fun...
  • georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    op has a point!
    last time we had one dude doing nothing, I remembered the release notes of November 12, about AFK penalties etc etc, so I stopped and started looking for a button or something to do something for the AFK guy but the only thing I found was the report one, I'm still silver player and that button never really worked for me till now so I didnt tried it at all...just added him in my ignore list after the game ended.
    They could add a button so you can "jettison" a guy if all players press it or something...
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shrapne11 wrote: »
    The recent leech fix did nothing to stop leeching in this game which has gone to the point of being beyond ridiculous. Tonight I have run numerous instances of The Breach and Storming The Spire and in all but 1 we had at least 1 leecher and in some we had multiple leechers.

Some rush in and die never respawning while others fly just outside of combat range doing circles until the instance is nearly over then they come in and fire a shot or two. Then others simply never leave the spawn point.

Other games resolve this quite nicely by have actual GM's in the game. In that case you simply post a GM help request and they come in, evaluate the situation and ban the leecher. In this game you turn in a GM help request and nothing ever happens. In most games GM's are volunteers who have a strict set of rules to follow and if they are found abusing those rules they get punished so it costs the developer nothing but significantly increases the customer service satisfaction of paying customers.

The only way to resolve the leeching problem is for leechers to start getting temporary and permanent bans from the game.

I saw a leechers as you speak of (never respawning and "vulture" leechers), and even had Brain support me about a week ago when I stated that the new AFK system addresses them and BANS them. Bran tested it himself by running in, dying, and waiting at the revive screen, when the round was over he posted a screenshot of his "ban" notice. So this happens, and I've also seen folks that just fly in circles and not do anything get bans (as no loot drops at the end for folks that get bans instead). So finding that the system actually worked is rather obvious.

The only reason you would fallaciously bring up something like this which is totally false in some lame attempt to change the system currently in place, could only be for selfish reasons.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't pug STFs so my experience with them is limited. however I would almost rather have back the old style leecher than what I have started seeing this week.

First wave leechers is what I call them now. They seem to always be in Elachi Alert. They come into the game and are just like any other player through the first wave of enemies. Then they stop. Not die and not respawn just move out of battle and stop. And no they were not shutting down gates. I was on the right spar shutting it down and they were 20km to the right of me way out of range

Yesterday I saw a player do this in Elachi Alert and then left as soon as it was over. I queued for Azure Nebula Rescue right after that. The same player was in that event. And again fought throughout the first wave. Then hid behind a rock for the remainder of the event. As soon as the event was complete they were the first to leave.

Two days ago I noticed two players from the same fleet in a Federation Fleet Alert. One stayed at spawn point for the first two waves while the other fought. Then they traded off and the camper became the fighter, and the fighter became the camper. They traded off again for 7-8 and left the event before the boss wave. I assumed this was a multiboxing situation.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm actually more concerned about the folks who enter the team events in Tier 1 ships. You know they are T1 simply becuase they are not allowed in the T5 version due to their affiliation od the fact a T5 version of the ship doesnt exist, ie a Miranda or an Olympic class sci ship with an RRV designation.

For the Azura event I am not sure what to think about the comments about hiding behind rocks etc as when I go in this event I am normally in my defiant. I hold back until the team has got aggro and then dart in to the captive ship to release it while the enemy is occupied which is pretty much the goal of the mission. Keeping out the line of fire for a FAW does seem like a good idea to me. Would this look like I am leeching though?

The same applies with Elachi alert, in that we dart in and clear the first wave but then somebody needs to do the gate scans to get bonus objectives. By not flying around shooting stuff it is likely this is also being construed as leeching when again it is the goal of the mission.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now I'm noticing a disturbing upward trend of leechers in the sphere, ground.
    I go running to an objective with confidence, see a mass of players in back of me, and suddenly they all stop and wait at the threshold while I engage targets. No support, no healing, no crossfires.

I thought this was a Multi Player Game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2013
    Yesterday I went into crystalline and my boff stations had reset to blank, I wound up getting out of combat and circling until I'd done my housekeeping and could use my abilities. It would be a lot easier to back harsher treatment of leachers if that sort of thing never happened.
  • shrapne11shrapne11 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    Now I'm noticing a disturbing upward trend of leechers in the sphere, ground.
    I go running to an objective with confidence, see a mass of players in back of me, and suddenly they all stop and wait at the threshold while I engage targets. No support, no healing, no crossfires.

I thought this was a Multi Player Game?

Leeching is really bad in all the Voth content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shrapne11shrapne11 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Will you guys either stop pugging or stop complaining about leechers. Some ppl may actually have a legitimate issue with the game or RL.

So yeah..it's really, really old and there are other ways for you to play the content. God forbid you have to fire an extra shot or the Mission goes over 2 mins! :P

The problem isn't people occasionally having a legitimate issue with the game or in RL but those who habitually leech off of others. Simply turn on your "system" notifications in chat and watch the person who remains out of combat constantly hit the NEED button. I was in a Spire run the other night with 2 leechers.

I avoid PUGs whenever at all possible and am lucky enough to be in a very active fleet, however there are times that there are not enough fleet mates online, e.g. 2:00AM while I can't sleep. At that point I may pug some of the less team dependent missions like Infected Space, Spire and etc. however you still have the frustration of seeing the same people popping up in random PUG's and doing nothing but spamming the NEED button while never shooting anything. It is a lazy and rude way to get loot, marks, xp and etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • my1alts2alt3my1alts2alt3 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How the mighty have fallen. The public no longer has respect for Star Trek and feels as though it is acceptable to obfuscate game play. I would suppose that a number of them may be showing a public outrage at the state of the game currently. Perhaps if more of the game were bug-free that people would be playing other parts of the game and not venting their frustrations in such a negative way. You do have to admit that obstructing PvP and PvE does have the immediate satisfaction of knowing that others are now aware of your personal dissatisfaction.

Personally, I have not played in days, and most likely will not play till after a few more patches go by to improve the game. I will not risk my toons to the current bugs. My suggestion is to NOT play as a form of protest. Use the forums and wait till things are fixed. Complaining about the game while continuing to play the game does nothing to fix the game. A sharp drop in the number of players online is the only motivation that the game owners will understand. So long as we play the game is all that matters to them.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shrapne11 wrote: »
    The problem isn't people occasionally having a legitimate issue with the game or in RL but those who habitually leech off of others. Simply turn on your "system" notifications in chat and watch the person who remains out of combat constantly hit the NEED button. I was in a Spire run the other night with 2 leechers.

I avoid PUGs whenever at all possible and am lucky enough to be in a very active fleet, however there are times that there are not enough fleet mates online, e.g. 2:00AM while I can't sleep. At that point I may pug some of the less team dependent missions like Infected Space, Spire and etc. however you still have the frustration of seeing the same people popping up in random PUG's and doing nothing but spamming the NEED button while never shooting anything. It is a lazy and rude way to get loot, marks, xp and etc.

Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Me, I just don't care all that much; and I certainly don't go and check 'system' to see who pressed 'NEED' or not: I got better stuff to do (like fight), and I don't want the inventory-filling TRIBBLE anyway, so they can have it.

Also, when I notice the occassional leecher, I don't feel anger or frustration. Ere, more like: "Good, who needs you anyway?! We can kick this Voth *ss ourselves, thank you!" And to said Voth: "Don't think you're not going down with 1 person less, cuz you will!"
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What's also sad is the minimal amount of commitment needed for the Voth rep, and yet still there are leechers. This is by far the easiest rep to complete, with marks and dil being thrown at you for completing easy, short tasks. It might actually take more effort to leech than complete a daily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Oops, thought this was a thread complaining about plasmonic leech. Carry on then.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The entire problem with this issue is that there is no way to do it "fairly". You cannot construct a system that won't end up being exploited as well as punishing the innocent along with the guilty. I suspect in-game GM's are also not an option. I'm not aware of any PWE game that uses that option and many games I've known in the past that did no longer do. Once upon a time MMO's were simply people playing a game. Then they gradually became more of a business... now they're BIG business. On top of all that is the simple fact that solutions already exist. There are channels available for those seeking to team up for STF's, PvP, etc. This means PUGS are, simply speaking, the bottom of the barrel choice. When you can't team with Fleetmates and you can't put a team together... THEN you PUG... and "ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances". I PUG precisely because it's interesting... you never know what you're going to get. Further there is the challenge of trying to cope with a possible PUG of newbs, leechers or griefers. If you don't like these choices then don't PUG. It seems to me that, given the above, PUG's are actually working as intended. I also have to believe that most of the complainers are exaggerating since I've been playing this game over two years, have PUGged most of the STF's and other events I've run and have rarely run into the situations some complainers CLAIM to run into all the time. On the other hand I've known literally millions of people over the years that were prone to encountering a frustrating situation once or twice then run off screaming "This happens all the time!" :P
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Why not volunteer in game GM's? We have volunteer Community Moderators who, I assume, have to agree to uphold Cryptics rules for the forums.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Urg, this old chestnut again. How are we not done with this yet? It's nowhere near as big a problem as people say. If the year and a half I've been playing this game I have encountered one leacher in a que'd event. One!

Y'all are complaining about nothing.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ignore the post above, there are loads of leachers all around.

Even if the system is working, perhaps the severity is not good enough.

Maybe a one week ban and a system that measures damage and healing done would motivate them more.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well considering I pug everything, I myself have noticed a vast drop in leecher's in almost (not every) mission I run. Yes I still stumble upon an occasional leecher, but it is not nealy as bad as it used to be.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Maybe a one week ban and a system that measures damage and healing done would motivate them more.
    That's one week that player won't be able to pay Cryptic real money in the C-store...