test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My opinion on the "Easy" factor

westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
Many people in this game are complaining about things being too easy and I notice that in many of their post they describe being in elite fleet gear or rep gear with rep passives and with good consoles and what I have to say is this: SHUT IT You got gear that's MEANT to make the game easier and you complain about it being easy? Try doing everything in normal Mk Xi green gear instead of special rep and fleet gear if you want a challenge. You have no right to complain about things being easy if you go out of your way to make them easier.

This has been a public service message from your emperor.
Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Haven't been playing video games all too long have ya? Content is suppose to be a match for the gear you can acquire.

The real formula is the harder the challenge, the greater the reward (which sto doesn't tend to follow)

Anyways, you are wrong...the complaint from skilled players of the game is valid. Good day sir
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You have heard the wise words of your emperor! Heed them!

But seriously, if you min max and have uber set ups with all the best gear, of course it is going to be easy. It's supposed to be easy at that point. Want a challenge? Stop using things that make the game so easy. Crank it to elite and fly type 8 shuttles using only a bio neural warhead as your only weapon. It will be dwarf fortress easy and fun then.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
    edited November 2013
    If the carrot is diamond encrusted, I'd be all over that..

• fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Actually, all of the gear argument is BS. I have characters that are in green X and XI gear, and if i actually use half a brain cell and play that character right, they do just as much damage if not more than people in so-called "Elite" gear.

Elite, Fleet and related gear is purely for bragging purposes in this game. If it actually made a difference in your stats to any effect, than my KDF in his Raptor with green gear would not be able to blow them away so easily during a PvP match.

It always makes me so amused when people start saying "gear this" and "gear that" . . . great . . . you have gear . . . now learn to play the game so you can maybe ENJOY that gear LOL.

But back on track . . . in ANY MMO game . . . endgame gear is just for social show, and that's it.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is ALWAYS a roof to hit in gear level they simply can't keep raising the roof everytime although in many cases mmos will just raise the roof on it several months later yes to a point difficulty should reflect reward but if you already have rep passives and fleet gear THEN WHY THE **** are you still running content that can't reward you with better tier gear? You can get dil out of it yes but to what end? Many of these players are near or hitting the proverbial roof of gear to where everything becomes a piece of cake. Unlike other mmos sto isn't raisng the roof in the same way so to speak. They are easing the gear in some areas while not raising the level of difficult missions overall which makes stuff raven easier.
    edited November 2013
    Faze you really need to try the elite fleet shields if you think theyr just for show over simple green gear.
    edited November 2013
    Try them on . . . what exactly? The OP was trying to make a point that people are wrong for saying the game is easy and saying it's their gear making everything easy . . . and that he "has it hard" in his green gear . . .

I don't have it hard in green gear. Hell i could use white gear and own any Elite mission in this game. I remember once when I leveled a Romulan so fast in the excitement of the new race being released . . . did an Elite and someone asked me if i was nuts for doing it in my gear. i was like "WTF?" and looked at my stuff . . . all Mk VIII ROFL.

And the OP says:
    You have no right to complain about things being easy if you go out of your way to make them easier.

Go out of the way? LOL. Just logging on and going with the flow, all that stuff falls right into your lap to the point where vender trashing the stuff is even a burden. At least our recycle bin in the replicator is nice and portable for some EC :)
    edited November 2013
    Wait...are you agreeing that difficulty should be increased to match current gear?

edited November 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    Wait...are you agreeing that difficulty should be increased to match current gear?

If you are referring to me . . . yes.
    edited November 2013
    My point was that many if not most of the people complaing about the game being easy are in uber gear and that if they want more of a challenge to dial back the challenge then do it in lower tier gear. And although its possible to do any elite content with low gear remember that YOUR TEAMMATES are certainly better geared than you therefore they can pull you along even though you're in Mk XVIII gear and are going to be lower than them. Try doing those elites with fewer people or with the whole team in that gear level and see what happens. Its quite easy for a group of 4 or 3 people to drag someone through an elite fairly easily.
    edited November 2013
    I dragged pugs through cure KS and IS...gear has taken its toll on the QOL of stfs.

I would run it in a shuttle if it would let me. I would still out dps the majority of puggers

edited November 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    My point was that many if not most of the people complaing about the game being easy are in uber gear and that if they want more of a challenge to dial back the challenge then do it in lower tier gear. And although its possible to do any elite content with low gear remember that YOUR TEAMMATES are certainly better geared than you therefore they can pull you along even though you're in Mk XVIII gear and are going to be lower than them. Try doing those elites with fewer people or with the whole team in that gear level and see what happens. Its quite easy for a group of 4 or 3 people to drag someone through an elite fairly easily.

In the VIII gear yeah I was probably dragged through . . . but i survived :) But my fleetmates - all 4 of them (small fleet, slightly) - we have formed teams on characters that all needed gear and ran Elites with no issues. They were still REALLY easy even though the entire team was on characters that had common gear on.

For me personally . . . it's a game. I won't complain it is too easy. it doesn't bother me. I was just stating that the theory that gear is what makes the content of STO easy is incorrect. I'll state an opinion, yes, but it's still just a game. I play STO because I like Star Trek. I play NWO because i like the book series it is based off of. For the days when i need a challenge, I'll Raid in Rift or FFXIV :)

Speaking of which, there's a Scholar that needs leveling. Take care, folks.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Problem is Cryptics answer to it being easy is to just increase the HP of enemies and the Damage of attacks.

5 Mil HP cubes with 100k Torps, isnt hard.

10 Mil Hp cubes with 200k Torps isnt going to be any harder, it just might take a little longer.

Frankly the only enemies that use any strategy at all are the Voth, at least you have to fly with them to get around those super shields, and they use GW.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you are referring to me . . . yes.

So maybe I misunderstood, but what you're saying is that the game needs to be balanced around end game gear that you have, so that any and all new players coming in can't compete in end game content because they don't have Elite gears and rep traits.

No just no. The OP has a point. The game needs to be hard for entry level 50 characters (and I don't mean those being twinked out) but still beatable. As you gain gear game gets easier, but they can't suddenly stop catering to any new players that come into this game, just because you have "Elite Stuffs"

Sorry but this isn't a single player game, and the game doesn't revolve around you and your leet ships. Can the devs make a hardcore mode, sure maybe, but what's going to happen once you get the gear that mode gives you? Cry that the game is too easy again, and cater to me, cater to me!
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes... it should get a bit easier... A BIT...

Not ROFL-LOL-Faceroll-easy...

Everything is so gorram easy... lvls. 1-50: No Problem, Endgame: Why do you even ask?
    It is more or less absolutely NO NEED to buy high end gear because you are already facerolling everything...

And for that matter, people shouldn't have to gimp themselves to have a challenge...
    And that doesn't even make a challenge, try to go Shuttle only level 1 to 50, it doesn't matter!
    Either make Elite Difficulty actually Difficult by Giving the NPCs an actual AI or make a new Difficulty with proper AI and tougher Ships...
    But I guess people like you will go on and start complaining that they can't do Uber-Difficulty STFs until they are nerfed to oblivion.

You know what... I certainly have not the best gear... especially not on ground... not the best skills...
    But I only play on Personal Elite Difficulty (you know, that Difficulty that you can set up in your Options Menu).
    And the ONLY Time in the last months were I actually died more than once and absolutely not because I just wasn't paying attention was to that idiot Tholian Captain of the Romulan Rep Mission... on Ground...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    90% of the fight is knowing how to use your particular ship, proper positioning and maneuvers, proper timing and use of your captain abilities, and proper timing and use of your bridge officer abilities. And on the ground, proper timing and use of your kit abilities

10% of the fight is your gear, rep passives, doffs equipped, etc.

Anyone who isn't an anal retentive min-maxer and who has regularly done end-game content will tell you the same thing or at least agree with me on most of what I just said.

Gear doesn't make things easier for most of the game's content. The only major exception (in my opinion) is having the integral frequency remodulator instead of having to use a regular remodulator or fractal remodulator. But even then that's barely easier. Just more convenient.

Anyone who thinks gear makes things easier needs their head examined. You can do the same thing with Blue Mk XI consoles as you can purple Mk XII consoles. Your performance does not signifigantly increase and embassy/dilithium mine/spire consoles are really there just for additional perks -- none of which signifigantly change the way you play the game to the point where:

Proper use of your ship, bridge officer abilities, captain abilities, etc. no longer becomes a factor in deciding whether the game will be easy or hard.

or

Drastically kill things so quickly as to be particularly noticable from the 'regular' equivelant.

Don't confuse "can use" said gear with "needs to use" said gear. If I use the best equipment in the game it's because I can afford it, not because I need it. I cut my teeth on the 'difficult' content some time ago. I've leveled alts using green and white gear. My dilithium farming alts still use Blue Mk XI gear I acquired over 2 years ago. I still run Elite STFs with them and noone has noticed because I know how to play the game. Noone has ever asked me "Are you using Blue Mk XI gear? Because I noticed your performance is lacking."

That has never come up. Not once. Because either the rest of the team doesn't notice, doesn't care, or because I get optionals and win STFs regardless.

The game is easy because of Cryptic listening to the wrong people and because they mandatorily have to make the game easier for idiots and bad players to jump in. Bad players are the reason this game is easy. It's not Cryptic's inability to make challenging content. It isn't people like me asking for it.

It's the majority of lowest common denominators who can barely turn on the computer without third party assistance -- who still has money they can blow on the game and think buying a $50 Scimitar 3-pack will make them invincible in STFs.

And are subsequently the Scimitars that try point-blank thalaron blasting a Borg cube only to get one-shotted by a torpedo they can't dodge or avoid since they don't know how to play the game, and think that the game is p2w because a bunch of windowlickers say the game is p2w -- and the accusation the game is p2w is the only evidence they need.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Well.

To cater to new players is fair, but making the game lacking in difficulty for older players is not fair.

There are multiple difficulties for a reason.

Beginner level = Normal
    Regular HP, minor tactics for NPC, introduction to the strategy types for the level

Add in Hard or Advanced = Current Elite
    High HP, better tactics for NPC, greater need for strategies introduced in previous type

Elite = an actual Elite mode.
    Higher HP, good tactics for NPC, Necessity for aforementioned strategies. Responsive enemies, enemy units that are spaced enough to not cause too much overlap, but provide a large challenge.

So essentially somewhere between Cure Elite and Hive Elite. Hive has the right amount of enemies but they are WAY to closely grouped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Cure elite and hive are way too easy with a high dps team.

hence why i said add the need for STRATEGIES please actually read what i say if you are going to quote me.

If the only thing needed is DPS then high DPS teams will ALWAYS faceroll this stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • quadraxis666quadraxis666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Going to risk the trolls here, but seriously shut up. I levelled a new Romulan character 2 weeks ago, and literally the second it hit 50 my fleet cronies dragged me into vortex elite, in green mk VIII gear and TRIBBLE story reward weapons. and it was easy as hell, i even bagged 11 bnp's and the purple mk XII drop. These endgame PVE's are more about knowing how to do it than what level of gear you have, ergo, they are too easy, time for a new challenge blah blah blither yak

Many people in this game are complaining about things being too easy and I notice that in many of their post they describe being in elite fleet gear or rep gear with rep passives and with good consoles and what I have to say is this: SHUT IT You got gear that's MEANT to make the game easier and you complain about it being easy? Try doing everything in normal Mk Xi green gear instead of special rep and fleet gear if you want a challenge. You have no right to complain about things being easy if you go out of your way to make them easier.

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    But I guess people like you will go on and start complaining that they can't do Uber-Difficulty STFs until they are nerfed to oblivion...

My guess is, I can probably out STF you any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. So no I won't start complaining that I can't do Uber-diffficulty STFs, because I'll be able to do them. Might take a bit to learn the ins and outs, learn the tricks, get some new strategies and tactics set up. But I'll be able to do them, no problem in the long run. That's not my point.

My point is: whining that the game is too easy because I've played it since launch, know all the tricks and how toos, have spents years knowing how to play my ship, and more time actually tricking it out to suit not just mine, but the teams I generally play with's playstyle, is stupid.

I've got experience, I've learned tricks that no new player is going to know, and I've got fleet ships with rep traits on multiple characters. But I'm not going to demand that the game cater to me because I'm so damn leet, and slap my e-peen around demanding that the Devs make the game harder because I'm so damn good... or else.

You know why, because I don't need to brag, and I'm not here to prove my worth in a silly game. I don't need to demand that the devs make it harder because I'm so damn good, because in the long run of life, it doesn't mean a damn thing to me. I have fun regardless. When I want a challenge, I'll go somewhere else and play that game for a while. I don't expect the devs to center their game around me, and how good I am, because I'm not that self-centered. I'd rather bring new players into the game, new players that may not have the skills and talent sets I have, players in the long run that I'll form online friendships with, that'll last not just in this game, but through multiple games. I understand that I'm in an different skill bracket then both, and that I'd rather help out the average player through content that's too easy for me, then come running to the forums and cry that it's too easy for me, and then go back into the game and do it all again for more gear and more rep traits, that make it even easier, then repeat an nauseum.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is ALWAYS a roof to hit in gear level they simply can't keep raising the roof everytime although in many cases mmos will just raise the roof on it several months later yes to a point difficulty should reflect reward

but if you already have rep passives and fleet gear THEN WHY THE **** are you still running content that can't reward you with better tier gear? You can get dil out of it yes but to what end?

Many of these players are near or hitting the proverbial roof of gear to where everything becomes a piece of cake. Unlike other mmos sto isn't raisng the roof in the same way so to speak. They are easing the gear in some areas while not raising the level of difficult missions overall which makes stuff raven easier.

why run content when you are in the best gear available...

players are near the roof and everything is a piece of cake...

sto isnt raising the roof...

You do make a good point about why BiS players still run content when they no longer need the gear...and i was about to answer, but it appears you already did that for me.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Try doing everything in normal Mk Xi green gear instead of special rep and fleet gear if you want a challenge. You have no right to complain about things being easy if you go out of your way to make them easier.

I did something fairly similar recently, kitted out a T3 ship with only common Mk X gear, guess what, it was still easy!

Why should players have to spec down their ships to find a challenge?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited November 2013

Dear Emperor: you have no clue!

First Cryptic WANTS Everyone to get the uber end game gear because it costs real money in terms of Zen traded for dilithium/keys/ec/lobi - etc

And if content in any game - even single player games - people don't ditch their user gear for lesser gear - the usually stop playing!!!

And so what if they add harder content - its optional - you don't have to play it so why do you care?? And for that matter - people who don't have the skill or gear should stay away from the harder content until they get better as not to ruin someone else's game.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Grab a free mirror star crus in the exchange or the free sove, buy some blue cheap aux2bat doff. Use green beams, learn to use binds and go to any stf elite and press the win space button.

Yes, this game is sooooooooo hard.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Snip

You are missing the point entirely... and you obviously have a very skewed view on the game...

It doesn't matter if you have "Skill" or "Talent"... you can literally start up a mission, put your face down on the keyboard and roll around for 5 Minutes and WIN...

And Again... I would say I am not even a good average Player... at best I am averaging the Average Bracket...

I run Phasers and Quantum Torpedoes simply because I fly a Federation Ship and anything else looks ridicioulus to me.
    The Only "Knowledge" I have, that New Players probably lack is: Don't Shoot Torpedoes until Shields are down.

For most of the time I've ran with a horrible mixture of Talents... Placates and CC mixed with Tyken's rift for good measure, because it sounded and looked cool, not because I was useful at all... I am pretty sure most people I've pugged with seriously hated me for my lack of professionalism.

Then...
    Why do you even care if they would add a new, harder difficulty?
    That is NOT centering the game around myself... it is an Option for those that can do better... see AN OPTION...
    You don't have to run on Uber-Difficulty with your Newly Acquired Friends and you shouldn't until they know how everything works.

I HATE the notion that you need to be able to do and win everything from the moment you hit 50...
    THAT is self-centered because you and your friends apparently can't be arsed to stick to Normal and Elite Difficulty until they know the game nobody deserves a harder Difficulty or God forbid a challenge!

The Game should be for EVERYONE!

Those that can play, those that are decked out in the best gear possible AND those fresh 50s...

And I don't want to play something else... I want to play STO... but I don't want to be confined to a Game that only cares about those that quite literally just started playing 2 Days Ago or how ever short the time is that you need to get to 50 now.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith