test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aegis for early, maybe permanent, set?

imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
i started a new fed yesterday, and when she hits 50 she will be running the tactical vesta, and i was wondering if the aegis set is a good starting point for her? or is there something better? PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ANY REPUTATION SETS, I DO NOT HAVE PATIENCE FOR ANOTHER REPUTATION
Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
Post edited by imadude3 on

Comments

• captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Aegis is only the equivalent of a Mk X set. Cryptic needs to make a way to upgrade it to a Mk XII set.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    reman set, breen set. it depends on what you mean by "better".
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As a starting set it's actually quite nice if you're wiling to invest resources in its construction or purchasing it on the exchange.
    If you know what you're doing it's easily enough for ESTFs so you can get something more potent later on.
    An alternative that also works but is not particularly stellar is the Mk XI Breen Set which...well works too but is nothing special either.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd say that it depends on what you're using it for. I had an old character some time ago (an Engineer) and used the Aegis Set on a Fleet Excelsior. I managed to easily hold my own in Elite STF's etc, so if it's just STF's and general gameplay then I'd say go for it. If you take it into PvP however, you'll likely get blown to pieces.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    I'd say that it depends on what you're using it for. I had an old character some time ago (an Engineer) and used the Aegis Set on a Fleet Excelsior. I managed to easily hold my own in Elite STF's etc, so if it's just STF's and general gameplay then I'd say go for it. If you take it into PvP however, you'll likely get blown to pieces.

oh trust me! i would get blown to pieces anyways :) but yea its just for general gameplay
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only non-reputation engine/shield/deflector sets I can think of are Aegis, Breen, and Jem'Hadar (that last being upgradeable with Lobi crystals, at least). There are various equipment sets you can buy with Lobi, too, and presumably find on the exchange eventually - though you might as well grind for reputation as work on getting the millions of EC you'd need.

I've always thought the Aegis set was pretty good as a starter, at least; I prefer it to the Breen one (have recently tried both on an upcoming KDF toon). But, if you don't want the reputation-based sets, your options are pretty limited, I fear.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shevet wrote: »
    [snip]
    Love your signature. :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Aegis is only the equivalent of a Mk X set. Cryptic needs to make a way to upgrade it to a Mk XII set.

Forget about it. Cryptic wants you to grind those new set. If you only do PVE then the aegis set is all you need. Or you can do what i do and find XII gear on the exchange and make up your own set for your play style. Don't get tricked into believing those mark sets are the only good gear in this game. The dev's would have to be dumb to do that. I also refuse to spend my game time grinding for Marks of any kind.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you have Dil and Fleet credits the Elite fleet gear will be much better than the other sets like Jem Hadar or Breen. If you go on the public service channel or just ask some tier 5 fleets will give you access to their starbase's store for free, You just need the Dil and Marks to buy them.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i started a new fed yesterday, and when she hits 50 she will be running the tactical vesta, and i was wondering if the aegis set is a good starting point for her? or is there something better? PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ANY REPUTATION SETS, I DO NOT HAVE PATIENCE FOR ANOTHER REPUTATION

Just out of curiosity: what do you intend to do with it? If you intend to ignore reputation related content, there doesn't seem to be any way to put a space set into use, since 99% of the PvE content revolves around marks.

If you don't intend to play any queue-events, then even blue mk X gear from the exchange will suffice.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    imadude3 wrote: »

Aegis is a decent defensive set, but you mention the Vesta which is an offensive vessel.
    It can work with full Aux and you can run ESTF with it, but there are sets with better synergy.

The JH space set is a good set for Science vessels and usable in ESTF, but it lacks bulk and plasma resistance both are very useful in ESTF.

Having said that, with the new reputation system you can finish all 3 previous reps in 25 days with 1 ESTF, 1 CE and 1-2 Azure nebula missions each day.

I understand the reluctance, but if you're going to develop a new char you may as well take advantage of the Reputation sets and abilities.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For a Vesta, no, I wouldn't recommend the set for it. Aegis is actually a quite wonderful set for cruisers that can handle some hull damage(the resistance proc applies to the hull, not the shields). The Vesta is the antithesis of a hull-tanking ship - it's the ship's biggest weakness.

My general suggestion for Vesta is go with at least the 2-piece assimilated set for the hull healing, but since rep sets are off the table... I would suggest either going for the Jem Haddar set or just finding some nice resilient shields for it(or regen shields if you're running a build with a lot of power in shields). Covariant shields are typically a waste on Science Ships due to their naturally high shield modifier and ample science console slots.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Aegis is a cool looking, perfectly viable regular content set. A lot of my alts who haven't got a reputation set yet ,use it. I usually will craft a set, and gift it to members of my fleet when they hit the admiral rank.(Small fleet of RL friends, and family members-otherwise it would get real expensive)
  • frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think at this point Aegis has become rather irrelevant, since it is easily out-classed by rep sets and (as far as shields are concerned) fleet gear. If you have no interest in rep gear, I strongly recommend elite fleet shields, they are miles ahead of anything else outside the reputation system. You could pair these with either a) two pieces of one of the feature episode sets, Breen is probably better for a Vesta than Jem'hadar, unless you happen to be using Polaron weapons, b) Mk XII gear from the exchange with your choice of modifiers, it's all pretty cheep now that most people are running rep gear. You could also look into fleet deflectors and engines, although as far as I can tell they're no better than much cheaper Mk XII gear from the exchange.
  • frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Although actually, that's a good question, what do you plan on doing with it? If you plan on doing only foundry missions, then there's no need to shell out for aegis or elite fleet gear, one of the free feature episode sets or cheep Mk X gear form the exchange will be just fine. If you plan on doing PvP, well I hate to break it to you, but rep gear is almost mandatory if you want to be competitive. And if you plan on doing any other endgame content... well then you will earn reputation marks from it and eventually be able to buy rep gear.