What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ARC Development Update 2: Website Technology Upgrade

Comments

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do usually react very allergic to someone spying on me, especially if it is some sort of spyware i do not want on my computer.

I'd rather deinstall STO, if i where forced to use ARC in order to play it.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    I do usually react very allergic to someone spying on me, especially if it is some sort of spyware i do not want on my computer.

I'd rather deinstall STO, if i where forced to use ARC in order to play it.

I am right there along with with you Yreo'. There is nothing wrong with the current way I get into the game, I don't need and don't want Arc. If they force it on me, I will move to a different game. No and, if's, or but's about it.
  • Options
    cptrichardson12cptrichardson12 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If there is a significant performance loss or spying on me, I will leave the game, simple as that.

I'm one of the First Ones. I have always been here.

But this? I stopped playing EA games after Origin. My current computer cannot take a performance hit and still play STO. More importantly, I refuse to accept any kind of scan at any point for any reason. If I see so much as a hint of it, STO will find itself dropped into a singularity core and left to die for me.

Not. Acceptable.

Furthermore, if I am forced to use it in addition to Steam, that's fairly unacceptable as well.
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The performance loss is very heavy and often critical, that's for certain. Spying has been already heard of.

IMO Steam is the only alternative: now I have no more

(a) technical problems (gone the days a major update broke the game)

(b) don't fear to may forced to use Arc in the very near future.

Dude, no one with cognition AND common sense could ever, ever, paragonate such two different things as Steam and Arc.

The latter is bloatware,

a platform unnecessary for most users who are interested in just one game of their line

and detrimental for the game itself because of its resource consume

and to some extent can be considered even adware, and maybe is spyware, which would be way off the border.

The first is a one-stop platform for even different OS

with offers you nearly any game existant ranging from newest to old classics, AAA to indie at 50-80% OFF on daily basis,

with TV support, Linux-based OS coming soon and all other endless bells and whistles

- heck, you can even earn money to spend on games by simple playing and completing your already possessed games, winning extras other had you pay for -

all of this within a safe environment.

What you also want?

Gaming has never been so easy and good from buy (cheap) to play, update, connect and such for tens millions now.

If you are to use a program to play in this planet that is Steam,

if not keep paying 50 $ a disc, maybe broken, with no refund/replace altough promised (true story)...

As said, every one with -cognition- and -common sense- have no problem with Steam

but here there is this thing, Arc, which nobody wants, pardon, 90% don't want - there could be a reason why (hint) (pun intended).

No, I want to be able keep playing STO via Steam without Arc in any way/form/part,

and the others who so wish to do the same.

Currently, Steam is the only safe haven from Arc (hint, hint) and I want it to stay so.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Get rid of ARC. These "platforms" stink and just take valuable resources, especially on lower end systems. Are you going to "force" us to change just like when we had to "link" our PWE and Cryptic accounts?

Not to mention the spying that is going to go on or the target advertisement. If I wanted advertisements, I would watch TV. If I wanted spying I would invite the US gov to my house.

Everyone say it with me...

NO WEB BASED LAUNCHER PROGRAMS!
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If there is a significant performance loss or spying on me, I will leave the game, simple as that.

I'm one of the First Ones. I have always been here.

But this? I stopped playing EA games after Origin. My current computer cannot take a performance hit and still play STO. More importantly, I refuse to accept any kind of scan at any point for any reason. If I see so much as a hint of it, STO will find itself dropped into a singularity core and left to die for me.

Not. Acceptable.

Furthermore, if I am forced to use it in addition to Steam, that's fairly unacceptable as well.

Sigh... Unfortunately I feel the same as you...
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    illogicoillogico Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am having issues with THIS game not recognizing that if I wipe my hard disk (viruses) and redownload, or wish to change email accounts (changed computer) I just might not know my prev 20 Questions (but I do know the answers if I knew the questions), and I bought a 20$ PWE card at Target or WalMart ot who cares but can't spend it -- seems I have to recieve an email, click or type in a special "one time" code, etc., and I no longer have access to an email account AND SO FORTH .... ... Total lack of sutomer support, I'm having trouble not going to my friends and tell them: "No matter how much fun I've had in this game, I can't reccommend..."
    Sorry, PWE, I've about had it, I can tell you.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    illogico wrote: »
    I am having issues with THIS game not recognizing that if I wipe my hard disk (viruses) and redownload, or wish to change email accounts (changed computer) I just might not know my prev 20 Questions (but I do know the answers if I knew the questions), and I bought a 20$ PWE card at Target or WalMart ot who cares but can't spend it -- seems I have to recieve an email, click or type in a special "one time" code, etc., and I no longer have access to an email account AND SO FORTH .... ... Total lack of sutomer support, I'm having trouble not going to my friends and tell them: "No matter how much fun I've had in this game, I can't reccommend..."
    Sorry, PWE, I've about had it, I can tell you.

I've already tld my friends I no longer reccomend this game especially when they ask what ARC is. So Cryptic or PWE has lost quite a few customers
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If a mandatory must answer to continue playing survey was implemented directly into the STO game asking players about the direction, decisions, confidence in Cryptic, customer support, Etc. I think you'd be extremely unpleasantly surprised with the results.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that many play STO merely because of the name Star Trek and being able to fly their favorite ships and/or because the space combat/ space sim options are extremely limited. However, with many new space combat/ space sim games currently in development, having just released or will shortly being released, this is the critical time to give people more of a reason to stay, not more reason to leave.

Steam isn't the evil demon it once was and I have no doubt with the eventual and inevitable mandatory forcing of ARC use, some will migrate to steam further increasing interest in other games, even possibly causing some to find newer/better games to migrate to, some will leave STO completely, and some will leave PEW/Cryptic games completely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hebdahebda Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's a considerable difference.

AND you seem not catching the other big issue: resource usage.

People rightfully don't want a full platform for the single game they play that

(a) collect unprecised data even when permission is negated

(b) executes in background limiting performance to the point of breaking the game without adding anything they may want.

I just downloaded and installed the current version of the Arc Platform. As far as performance, it is currently using 72MB of memory, running two processes. The one installed service is currently stopped and is not using any resources as yet.

The Arc browser uses less memory than Internet Explorer. Origin (EA) uses almost as much memory in one process than Arc uses in two, so I don't understand the resource argument. As for the data collection, I haven't noticed anything, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

As far as data collection goes however, there are few if any programs on one's computer that doesn't collect data. Flash Player, Windows, Office, IE, Chrome, Firefox...the list goes on and on. Granted, those all have the ability to choose if data is collected, and presumably Arc does as well, but to claim that PWE is intentionally collecting data against the user's wishes is pretty far fetched. With all the legal ramifications that could occur from it, for intentional privacy violations, it wouldn't be worth it to them. I have in fact read the privacy policy from within the Arc platform and it is pretty standard jargon as to what they claim to collect. By comparison, EA's privacy policy was clearly written by lawyers and is long winded.

I understand the concerns, I also understand that some players don't wish to have some new launcher system being pushed on them for the sake of pushing it or promoting something that they aren't interested in, but PWE is hardly the first company or the last company to do such a thing. In general terms, most people have 5-10 programs that collect the exact same data as PWE is looking to collect, including the current version of the Cryptic Launcher.
    “In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death…..even vegetarians.” – Spock
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Standalone installer in my sig.

Nice sig mate :D Yet again this company seeks to reinvent the wheel,remember the runaway success story that is Gateway :o
  • Options
    raahzielraahziel Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just to be clear. I like spaceships and lazorbeamzzz. I saw that you guys do other games too and good luck!

However I don't know if the star trek crowd have much interest in the other stuff you have. Its all fairies and elves n stuff right?

Also do what you will, as long as this game stays good.
  • Options
    kidflash112kidflash112 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i would also like to point out that do to the new zen purchase system you will be required to install arc to purchase zen

Changes to the Zen Purchase Flow

Currently, purchasing Zen for individual games is a two-step process. Based on player feedback, we?re making Zen purchases easier with the new website.

Right now, when you purchase Zen, it hangs out in your wallet, waiting for you to transfer it to a specific game. When the Arcgames.com version of the website infrastructure is released, the Zen purchase flow will instead require the game to be selected at the time of purchase.

Please note that this new process is for Zen purchased after December 3; there are no changes happening to any Zen that currently exists in your Wallet. Your Wallet will remain accessible after this launch, and it will still be possible to deposit Zen from your Wallet into your game of choice.
    [img][/img]screenshot_2017-03-05-09-33-16_zpsuuddenl4.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i would also like to point out that do to the new zen purchase system you will be required to install arc to purchase zen

Changes to the Zen Purchase Flow

Currently, purchasing Zen for individual games is a two-step process. Based on player feedback, we?re making Zen purchases easier with the new website.

Right now, when you purchase Zen, it hangs out in your wallet, waiting for you to transfer it to a specific game. When the Arcgames.com version of the website infrastructure is released, the Zen purchase flow will instead require the game to be selected at the time of purchase.

Please note that this new process is for Zen purchased after December 3; there are no changes happening to any Zen that currently exists in your Wallet. Your Wallet will remain accessible after this launch, and it will still be possible to deposit Zen from your Wallet into your game of choice.

And exactly how many people play more than one PWE game (at an active level for each)? This feature has minuscule value.
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And exactly how many people play more than one PWE game (at an active level for each)? This feature has minuscule value.

I don't that's for sure. I play STO and that's the only PWE game I have an interest in; and I'm only interested in it because I've been a Trek fan since I was a little kid. If I didn't like Star Trek I wouldn't play. I have other games I play to see elves and faeries and dragons and stuff.

I think I looked at NWO once for about five minutes but I haven't touched it since it launched. The harder they make it for me to log in to STO the less I will play. Do you hear that PWE? Eh? Especially if all this bloatware starts bogging down my connection.
  • Options
    molaighmolaigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For now, please anticipate that the Arc client will continue to launch individual game launchers."

=

ARC will run in the background and eat up system resources while it runs and executable that would serve to start your game just fine.

Please stop this crud. There is already a thread on these forums on how to disable ARC. People don't want this junk on their machines. You're doing it just to try to sell stuff. Scrap the whole project and leave us with the launchers.

PS - Anyone have a way to actually get feed back to the ARC team? I have trouble believing that they'll actually read this.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well when the current laucher stops working I will migrate to Steam until they remove that as well (And they will I don't believe there lies for one second) Also if you have to have Arc to purchase Zen well I havent given money to Cryptic since the beginning of LOR and that was only to have enough Zen to get the Tier v (T'varo) ship so I will just convert dilithium unless of course they stop that as well which would be something that I see PWE doing in the future.

But a majority of fan who play this including myself are fans of the Star Trek T show movies or JJ Trek. keep your elves goblins and ORCs as I have a online game that already gives me all that and I hardly play it.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's almost a week since Cryptic kicked 50% of its gamers off Star Trek Online with their Season 8 Patch. If they were looking for a way to kill the company and force it to go out of business, the Season 8 Patch surely did it.

What I want to know, is why weren't these problems fixed while S8 was testing on the Tribble server? This is just unacceptable that this problem wasn't fixed before the patch went live.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    molaigh wrote: »
    For now, please anticipate that the Arc client will continue to launch individual game launchers."

=

ARC will run in the background and eat up system resources while it runs and executable that would serve to start your game just fine.

Please stop this crud. There is already a thread on these forums on how to disable ARC. People don't want this junk on their machines. You're doing it just to try to sell stuff. Scrap the whole project and leave us with the launchers.

PS - Anyone have a way to actually get feed back to the ARC team? I have trouble believing that they'll actually read this.

What is "arc"? Is that the launcher we have or some other nonsense?
  • Options
    starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been tempted to buy a STO Lifetime Subscription since they're on sale at the moment... and then I read this thread and felt utter despair that this unique game will eventually be gated behind some atrocious software. We don't yet have any guarantee that Arc will be legitimately safe or convenient to use. I hope that word of this reaches other independent gaming websites in order to warn prospective players about the rubbish they will have to encounter.

In the meantime, I will be switching over to launching the game through Steam. I hope that method will last until Star Citizen is released. If not, I'll be shopping around for a new MMO.
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What is "arc"? Is that the launcher we have or some other nonsense?

Spyware and adware that PWE wants us to use to download and run their games so they can maybe get more players for their other games.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nightsoft33nightsoft33 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was very disappointed to learn of this. I had considered returning to this game, still hopeful that one day we would see customizable starship interiors when they came to their senses.

Then it seems they lost their minds.

When Arc becomes a requirement I will leave the game for good. I hate to do that, and will surely miss the game and the great community.
    Raven Night

Modeler, Mesh mechanic, designer
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Point Two: I do not expect a program to access local drives other than the main windows drive, especially when you untick permission to do so.
    Please could you tell me how you think that would be acceptable?
    Your program has no reason to scan all my other drives. No other game program does, and that includes Steam.

Point Three: When my hard drives stopped being accessed, something attempted to send data through the VM network interface, but of course it was isolated, so nothing could be sent.

Not defending Arc at all, I certainly dont want it on my hard drive, but a couple things... If you were running it in a vm, how was it getting access to your physical hard drives? Did you have those shared to the vm? If so... that kind of defeats the purpose. If not, then how could it have been Arc accessing those drives?

Second thing... some programs that make use of things like, for instance, .net framework (and I dont know if Arc is one of these, just an example) will go ahead and look all around your computer for various libraries and to catalogue/index resources as part of a one off initialization. It may not actually be related to any Arc related functions or programming, but simply a result of the libraries or frameworks it uses.

So, that said, you may want to try it again. Grab a couple things, like Process Explorer, which is a task manager replacement you can get from Microsoft Sysinternals for free. When you have Arc running, you can highlight the process, and in the lower pane you will see a bunch of info, including a list of open File handles, which is everything that process is accessing.

Also recommend something like Netlimiter to monitor your computer's network usage. That program's a little older, but I like it because it shows usage based on process, and you can see destination ip's, which makes it easy to plug them into a net based whois to see where the info is going. Also makes it easy to outright block or have the computer ask when any info is sent/received by that process. imho, a program like this is something every user should have on their system.
    edited November 2013
    Not defending Arc at all, I certainly dont want it on my hard drive, but a couple things... If you were running it in a vm, how was it getting access to your physical hard drives? Did you have those shared to the vm? If so... that kind of defeats the purpose. If not, then how could it have been Arc accessing those drives?

He didn't say his real hard drives were being accessed. He said "When my [virtual] hard drives stopped being accessed, something attempted to send data through the VM network interface." In other words: he was testing out Arc, which seemed to access his drives (presumably his virtual drives), and then noticed Arc was trying to access his network for outgoing traffic.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    He didn't say his real hard drives were being accessed. He said "When my [virtual] hard drives stopped being accessed, something attempted to send data through the VM network interface." In other words: he was testing out Arc, which seemed to access his drives (presumably his virtual drives), and then noticed Arc was trying to access his network for outgoing traffic.

Well, see, when trying to diagnose computer issues, it never pays to assume or presume anything about what the user says... specifics count.
    All I can say is once Arc was installed, Arc (32Bit) and Arc Browser (32 bit) were running on the VM, and all the attached hard drives (I don't include windows drive) were woken up and being accessed.
    edited November 2013
    I wont be commenting further on this issue. My findings are my findings, so take it or leave it.

I am not dissuading anyone else from the use of this program, I can only say what I have witnessed.

In the end, the decision is up to the individual whether or not to use it.

I wont be, but that should bare no reflection on anyone else's decision, and you are of course welcome to try it yourself....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I wont be commenting further on this issue. My findings are my findings, so take it or leave it.

Well, you didnt really find anything, since you wont clarify your statements. But whatever. Everyone feel free to jump on board the paranoia train.

Not that I'll ever be installing Arc either. After all, just because you're paranoid doesnt mean they arent out to get ya!
    edited November 2013
    Well, you didnt really find anything, since you wont clarify your statements. But whatever. Everyone feel free to jump on board the paranoia train.

Not that I'll ever be installing Arc either. After all, just because you're paranoid doesnt mean they arent out to get ya!

In your opinion. My opinion says otherwise. I wont clarify my statements because I do not want to go down that road, and open a can of worms that I am not prepared to take on.

I have seen enough for my own mind, what you choose to do is of little importance to me, much like mine to you.
    Not being paranoid, I just care about what I install and what it is doing on my machines.
    When it does something I think is not right within the boundaries of what the program needs to do, I have a problem with it.

But whatever, in your own words.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Not being paranoid, I just care about what I install and what it is doing on my machines.
    When it does something I think is not right within the boundaries of what the program needs to do, I have a problem with it.

That's fine. But when you post "findings" that arent actually, and when other people start believing these "findings" and referring to them as proof that Arc is somehow spying on your computer, then that's a problem.

There are plenty of reasons not to want to install yet another launcher. But spreading incomplete information as evidence is not the way to go about proving any point.

I mean... honestly... why is it hard to believe that a launcher for an *online only game* might actually check itself for updates to its program and banners? Like every other launcher in existence. And unlike many, this is an online multiplayer only game, it's pefectly reasonable to expect aspects of it to, you know... go online. It's even in the TOS...
    7. Game Updates

When we update or "patch" any of our Games, we may utilize a patch routine to verify whether the most recent version of the Game is installed on your computer. If not, the most recent version may automatically be uploaded to your computer, and you hereby consent to, and waive any further notice of, such upload.

If you really want to be paranoid, consider that if PWE really wanted to get personal information out of your computer, they dont need Arc to do it. They could just use the current patcher, or the game client itself, to scan and upload any data they want.

Anyways, that's all. I still recommend reviewing your testing methodology, if you are indeed allowing your testbed sandbox vm full access to your physical hard drives...