test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just tried safe mode again. again nothing oh well

error number is 18897741
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm still waiting for Cryptic to post something, unless they've taken the weekend off.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    sleezypaladinsleezypaladin Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    well i have hit a new snag this morning. woke up loaded arc, loaded STO. the launcher downloaded a twenty meg patch, launcher closed.opened it back up,hit engage instead of the game crashing at the LoR splash screen. it now freezes at the cryptic splash screen. and stays frozen. no crash no ticket number now just a freeze that forces me to reboot my pc to fix it lol. is this progress compared to four days of crashes or what? I'm going back to my corner to cry now:eek:
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kemcha wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for Cryptic to post something, unless they've taken the weekend off.
    im afraid it looks like they have
    Hi Captains,

I don't have any updates to provide at this time -- wanted to let you know before I head out for the weekend. I will be watching email, and if there is an update that arises that I can provide, I'll post here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    daybjorndaybjorn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    now it freezes at my launcher :(
  • Options
    wanderernotlostwanderernotlost Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yea I got the same but when I went to my bookmarked Gateway All of my people showed up.

So what am i doing wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SPACE, THE PRISON OF INFINITY, THE LOST FRONTIER
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm starting to think that these crashes are related to ARC. Before the patch, I was running STO fine without ARC but S8 seems to rely on ARC for some reason.

Mine crashes with stand alone launcher too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited November 2013
    So what am i doing wrong?

Try this link for the Gateway. Right now it seems to be the only way to get any kind of access for us.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

@ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Try this link for the Gateway. Right now it seems to be the only way to get any kind of access for us.

Thanks it worked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    carlosbezerracarlosbezerra Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OBS: My English is sucks. Google translate on:

Guys!!! I got back to the game!!!

What i did:

I uninstalled windows XP and installed Windows 7.

and

Update my NVidia Geforce.

I hope to help my friends whith same the problem.

[]'s
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Your Welcome.

Before Arc was introduced I never saw this problem at all. After arc, it seems every major patch causes this. So this got me thinking if there is some kind of incompatibility between Arc and the Stand alone launcher. And that is what is causing the problems.

Because Arc is a Launcher that launches a launcher type of deal. It would seem to me that with these big updates, They are now having to write 2 different launcher updates. one for Arc one for the stand alone and somewhere in the mix is a bug that's causing this.

If this is the case then the only way that they can permanently stop this from happening would be to get rid of one of these programs.

If in fact this is whats happening.

Before Arc was introduced I never saw this problem at all. After arc, it seems every major patch causes this.

Thinking about this got me thinking about one other thing to.

Why do I keep paying for gold if this stuff keeps happening?

Come on twice in 2 months?
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

@ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes, however i downloaded stand alone launcher that fleet member zip filed. Still same error ticket number. Had same problem in Oct. Survived it after a week. This probably longer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    finaltom5finaltom5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I found a couple files in my sto folder by going to system explorer: Program files/Perfectworld entertainment/Star trek online_en/star trek online/Live There is 2 file extensions here, that looked odd.

First one is: D3dx9 42.dll
    Direct3d 9 extensions

Second one: d3dx11 42.dll
    Direct3d 10.1 extensions

The second file for the direct 3d 10 is lite up and the other is not. Could we be having a confliction between the 2? Those of us with dx9 running a program set to run dx11?

Sure would like to actually hear from a dev on here, who's actually working on the issue to see if there is anything we can get for them off our system to help. Especially if you can't re-produce the incident, in which we can.

The more minds trying to figure this out the better.
  • Options
    stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Partial quote
    finaltom5 wrote: »
    Sure would like to actually hear from a dev on here, who's actually working on the issue to see if there is anything we can get for them off our system to help. Especially if you can't re-produce the incident, in which we can.
    Yeah, that would be nice. But I wouldn't want to take them away from what their trying to do, (get us back in the game).
    Sounds like they at least have an idea what's wrong, but just don't know how to fix it.

As far as them being able to reproduce it or not, I'll bet they can.
    If not, I can fed-x my box to them and they can have it by Monday morning before 9 am.
    Maybe all they need is to step back from it, take a deep breath, and clear the head.

In the meantime, it would be nice if someone else,(a different team entirely),
    started working on a "from scratch", start-up / intro screens that were no more than a couple of pics and a loading bar.
    The JJ flip-up planet, rotating globe / clouds, and all that is ok, (if you like that sort of thing), but when it comes right down to it, we don't need to see all that (bloat), we need to play the game.
    It seems to me, the whole start up process introduced with LoR was flawed- big time.
    (Always was an unnecessary strain for my pc at least).

I, for one, hope the devs have the weekend off, find themselves at a barbecue on Sunday,
    and as they bite into a juicy burger, it, (the fix), suddenly comes to them.
    They hop in the car, drive safe, (but at ludicrous speed), to Cryptic Studios to implement the master fix-all patch.

Still Daring to Dream...
    (but no, I haven't bothered trying the launcher today...)
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    isn't it nice of Cryptic to take the weekend off without fixing this problem first?
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    isn't it nice of Cryptic to take the weekend off without fixing this problem first?

an exausted mind doesnt help nothing... better they have 2 days off... to clear their minds a little... stay working without stop will only create more problems...
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • Options
    dreamcruiser00dreamcruiser00 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2013

tanxs, its workt :)
  • Options
    kyledewittkyledewitt Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sch3ff3l wrote: »
    an exausted mind doesnt help nothing... better they have 2 days off... to clear their minds a little... stay working without stop will only create more problems...

I don't care. Because then they won't push the fix out until Thursday (Nov 21) and then we lose the Solanae tribble offer that expires on said date.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't fret over the Solanae tribble offer because I think Cryptic will extend that offer past the current date since these STO client crashes are the fault of bad dev programming. I was able to get my tribble on my Fed and Rom characters because I was able to get in through "safe mode".
  • Options
    kyledewittkyledewitt Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't fret over the Solanae tribble offer because I think Cryptic will extend that offer past the current date since these STO client crashes are the fault of bad dev programming. I was able to get my tribble on my Fed and Rom characters because I was able to get in through "safe mode".

Yeah and people thought the same thing about the Crystalline event as well. Guess what, they didn't EXTEND that.
  • Options
    finaltom5finaltom5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I totally agree.

Don't burn yourself out. Take a break, go play in the snow, take a walk in the park.
  • Options
    halfpint71kyhalfpint71ky Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kyledewitt wrote: »
    I don't care. Because then they won't push the fix out until Thursday (Nov 21) and then we lose the Solanae tribble offer that expires on said date.

Well.isn't This a pleasant surprise...welcome back to our club...we thought you had possibly avoided getting the bug...alas you are back as well... now officially the whole 10/3/13 patch crashers are back by my best guess... have a seat....coffee 's fresh...:D
    Proud Member of the Order of persistence, Chief of Investigations"Persistent Officer"since 11/12/13...:P 600 strong and growing...all phages, vidians, other outcasts welcome, note: all new members BYOC (bring your own chair) please and thank you! Five time winner in 1st and 2nd annual last 500 tied for top 2000 @halfpint71ky
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Thanks for the link, admrenlarreck. It worked for me ... sort of. It was like I was visiting my toons in prison and the warden was not always cooperative. I noticed there were some seriously broken parts of the ship data (almost all of it was zeroed out) and there was no toon image (just a black outline) but I could see my bridge officers. Given this was my first Beta log-in, I wonder if it's a symptom of the game launcher crash or a problem with Beta? It would be interesting for someone who has previously used Beta to compare their data now to pre-season 8. So am I to understand that Beta doesn't allow any toon (character) operation, just a look-over? Not even a visit to the C-Store so we could at least do a little buying and claiming? But why bother, anyway? Kinda pointless to buy Zen while we can't access the game for 5 days and the devs seem to have taken the weekend off; no maintenance, no game launcher fix, just nothing. It's like the Enterprise goes to Red Alert, Kirk calls down to engineering for warp speed, and Scotty says, "Can you wait until Tuesday? 'Cause I'm on break."

Heckova season 8 launch, a number of players stuck on the launchpad and those that do launch don't seem too happy.

Before I sign off, I'd like to fix an issue that is bothering me, something that I did wrong. I re-read a few of my earlier posts and saw how my angry frustration over the game launcher bug and event deadlines ticking away just might be perceived to be directed towards Brandon "BranFlakes", which is not the case. Bran, you are the one guy at PWE that actually is busting a move to help us (and you've gone way above and beyond), so I'd like to say, sorry if you took it that way and THANK YOU, BRANFLAKES! I'm frustrated with the people higher up the food chain. And before my frustration rises again and I say yet another stupid thing, let me say this instead -- Cheers! :)
  • Options
    selenelangofeselenelangofe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Isn't the first time this has happened, I log into STO and it take over 5 hours to 'patch'. Once I DO get in game, theirs is no color and the screen has shifted and looks grainy. Don't say it's the rendering, THERE IS NOTHING TO RENDER

I uninstall STO, re-install, but this time I am required to install 'Arc'. Once that takes an over night expense, the exact same thing. Except this time, once I get in game, all it is a black screen with the music playing, nothing to see or do. It does the same scratchy/grainy thing.

What is this cheese?!?! And is it fixable?
    ya gotta be jokin' kidding me....
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The error that I've been getting when the launcher crashes is this:
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while resetting device.

Technical Details: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, after being able to play one day without a crash, the patch of the 15th of november brought that crash right back in.
    doh!

Same error id as before, 2653 1885.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Tried again this morning after a verify and such, and lo and behold...

A different ticket ID: 25941731

Not sure what's changed, but something did.

Is there a master list of the various ticket IDs and the number of people in each group? Not sure which number to give my allegiance... guess I'll wait until the thread hits Level 10!
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Respectfully, I disagree. What we need is a sense of urgency, not an attitude of, "I'll get back to you one of these days." If the devs wanted this weekend off, why didn't they insure Tuesday's launch was successful, first? (Today is Saturday and many of us are still locked out of STO.) Even beforehand, they had a whole month of test server trials where multiple players warned that a game launcher bug was causing these very same crashes! Plenty of time to find and fix the bug, a problem that has been around since season 7! But they launched season 8 anyway, without a fix, and accepted that players would be locked out. Meanwhile, the devs go on holiday?

That is not acceptable customer service! Anybody else have a boss that would let you walk away when your customers aren't being helped with critical website crashes? Me neither. The only way I'd get to do that is to clear out my things and go home for good.
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Respectfully, I disagree. What we need is a sense of urgency, not an attitude of, "I'll get back to you one of these days." If the devs wanted this weekend off, why didn't they insure Tuesday's launch was successful, first? (Today is Saturday and many of us are still locked out of STO.) Even beforehand, they had a whole month of test server trials where multiple players warned that a game launcher bug was causing these very same crashes! Plenty of time to find and fix the bug, a problem that has been around since season 7! But they launched season 8 anyway, without a fix, and accepted that players would be locked out. Meanwhile, the devs go on holiday?

That is not acceptable customer service! Anybody else have a boss that would let you walk away when your customers aren't being helped with critical website crashes? Me neither. The only way I'd get to do that is to clear out my things and go home for good.

And they've been at it since Tuesday when it started happening. I am betting they are in the office today at least working on the problem. But they are only human and need food, sleep, and to use the head when they can. They also need caffeine too.

Either way, I am more than patient enough to let them have Sunday off (and/or Saturday) because...too put it bluntly, Debugging is a real pain in the butt.

As someone said up above, Debugging is like a mad game of Whack-A-Tribble. Fix one and 20 more pop up.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    defcon1101defcon1101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    after looking at ...\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\Hog_Errors.Log

131113 20:16:21 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 20:18:14 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 20:20:33 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 20:33:44 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 20:53:22 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 21:02:13 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 21:19:34 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131113 23:00:14 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131114 03:38:47 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131114 03:39:58 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131114 19:13:44 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131115 15:22:33 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131115 20:17:29 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131116 00:13:10 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874
    131116 15:15:35 1 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Corrupt file missing name or header_data or duplicate files: ./piggs/bins.hogg: 21 5874

Deleted ...\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs\bins.hogg and let the launcher repatch.

make sure you kill crypticerror.exe and gameclient.exe in task manager first if they are there.....

....back in the captains chair

@defcon110010
This discussion has been closed.