test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Voth Rep Feedback

grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Reputation System
just gunna list of some pro's and cons about the new rep system in this post so here goes

Pro's

- Great new tier passive and active ability's, good all round stuff that can be applied in most situations and not limited to certain STF's or anything ( looking at you Omega rep)

- Only MK XII gear spread across all tiers, This was an EXELLENT decision as im pretty sure most folks just skipped right on up to the Mk XII gear rather than wasting valuble refined dill on lower grade stuff that they will very soon have access to better stuff once they finish the whole rep tree, this also gives something worthwhile to look forward to for each tier,

- Reasonable costs for the items, alot lower than i expected giving great relief to my constantly low refined dill wallet and no more useing up the little inventory space i have left on commoditys and just putting in a solid EC amount

- Instant store unlocks. THANK YOU for getting rid of what i thought to be one of the WORST things about the rep system, having to grind out even more dill marks and other stuff to just be able to purchase the items, wasting even more resources pointlessly

- "Free goodie boxes" an excellent touch to the rep systems and works well with the 1 hour small project thats been introduced and some not bad stuff in them and also having some stuff from the next teir up, is pretty dam awesome. would maybe like to see some of the stuff in them be account bound maybe? just a thought.

Cons-

- Dyson commendation marks, you probably all saw this one coming, having a currency within a new currency, does not make to much sense and with it being the only thing that you need to run the one rep project that gives you a decent sized amount of reputation points i kinda think this need a little rethink, its not like we dont have enough currencys to worry about already.

- Odd dill prices. more of a little nitpick than anything but having something as 9k dill is kinda irritating for that person who just spent that dill on another dill intensive item and has to wait the extra day to get the item that you only need 1 k extra refined for, maybe something to think about.

Mixed feeling -

- 1 hour rep assignment. ok this im still a little conflicted on, in one way its pretty good with the boxes and the like and if your on for long periods of time you can in a way make more than the 800 rep assignment in less amount of time but also if your not on for to long you wont make that much from it rep wise and will feel like you have a wasted rep assignment slot just sitting there doing nothing, i personally think a solution to this would be to keep the 1 hour rep assignment but bring back the 800 rep one also for 20 hours for those times you know your not going to be there for so you can slot it in before you go to bed or something.

All in all, this rep system has blown all the previous ones out of the water and i REALLY REALLY hope Cryptic implement it for the other rep systems including getting rid of the old mk X and Mk XI items and just have Mk XII spread out across all Teirs and have all store items automatically unlocked rather than paying stuff to have the right to then pay again for the item or items they want, do NOT want to see the extra currency in a currency happening though, it does seem rather un nessesary

-
Post edited by grtiggy on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My feelings regarding the Voth rep are as follows:

I LOVE YOU CRYPTIC

The new project requirements are a major relief, I'm getting a lot out of the 1hr assignment (finished tier 1 "early"), all the gear is at the very least nice, the new art assets (equipment included) are good for STO, and taken together with how you earn the various project inputs I'm having a far too much fun for a minor reputation system.

Also OP, remember that the standard 20h project now provides 2,500 exp. You only have to run the 1h twice per day to progress as fast as with the old 800/2000 setup.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tyrannyfighter22tyrannyfighter22 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My feelings regarding the Voth rep are as follows:

I LOVE YOU CRYPTIC

The new project requirements are a major relief, I'm getting a lot out of the 1hr assignment (finished tier 1 "early"), all the gear is at the very least nice, the new art assets (equipment included) are good for STO, and taken together with how you earn the various project inputs I'm having a far too much fun for a minor reputation system.

Also OP, remember that the standard 20h project now provides 2,500 exp. You only have to run the 1h twice per day to progress as fast as with the old 800/2000 setup.

Totally agree. This new rep system is a million times better than the other ones. Way less grindy
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The dyson commendation is not a con in my view,

Yes it's another currency to deal with, but it's not exactly confusing.

The beauty of it is you can rep up just using them and save your marks for the end gear. So instead of leveling up and then having to grind more marks, you have them ready and available to use.
  • malnificentmalnificent Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    100% agree with OP.

And I also agree and take note when it was pointed out we only need 2 hours worth of 150 rep projects (2) along with the 2500 rep one to equal the standard 2800 "20 hrs" interval of classic Rep systems.

I've struggled to find something wrong with the Voth rep model and simply can't find anything.

I'll only add I think the Dilithium costs (i.e. 9k) are reasonable. Item value should be about utility of the item, not the # of days necessary to refine to afford said item. I also like the Commodation Mark system because it's about running a mission that has more of a "support the effort" feel to it. Not just grinding Breach. Sometimes I think we lose sight of what reputation is suppose to represent. The player's character's history of adding value to a cause. Of contribution to an effort in a tangible way that's recognized but some authority. Something more than running said 5-man for the 500th time.

Cryptic, ya'done good here. Thank you. Stay strong in light of the nay sayers. Keep doing what you think is right while also listening to your customer base as you did in this case. Cheers!
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    oh i do realize the 2 run 1 hour equals the old one i just have this thing where i have 1 of the rep project slots just idle there for hours lol, its kinda like not liking skill training going for any amount of time on EVE lol, just hate having the slow not doing anything at the time just a little niggly thing though nothing major :-P
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really like the new reputation format. I like the daily commendation and the the conversion option from mark to commendations if you're a marathon gamer on the weekends. All the adventure zone stuff is overflowing with marks, so I feel like I'm mainly saving them up for the eventual gear and not just using them to grind my way through the reputation. Can't wait for this format to propagate through the other reputations.
  • ajax1983ajax1983 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Rep format I do like. It seems much more user friendly with more choices as to how to proceed.

That being said, the gear seems lackluster. I've only unlocked the first tier so far, but the stats on the personal shield seem weak. I use the MACO set, which seems more than adequate for taking on the Voth, and more versatile for other enemies as well.

Shield Refrequencers? Not really sure what to do with them. I run a fleet emitter array which seems a better fit for my boat.

The protonic weapons? What are they? Again, they seem to be an anti-Voth weapon, when the Voth aren't an especially difficult enemy to overcome anyway.

So while the way the rep works is improved, there isn't really anything I'm interested in working towards attaining.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I wish all the reputations worked like this one. No cons I can see. You even get free stuff that costs dilithium.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Takes more time to run than the old ones though. Could finish Omega rep in 18-or-so ISE runs. Romulan rep in 4 epohhs. Nukara rep as a side-effect of the CE event. The new one takes 40 commendations. Thats a much larger time sink. Personally, I'd rather deal with commodities and have more free time.

Plus I like Mk11 gear. 95% ability, half the cost.
  • saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like being able to run two 2500 rep projects at the same time before completing a tier and starting the next one! I'm actually two days ahead of schedule on my rep.

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/2263/wduz.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
    Come Visit the 44th Fleet
  • des101des101 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When I originally looked at the new voth rep, I though

"Great, I can't play during the week so I can stack up some commendations and just have one long project running til I get back on"

How wrong I was :(

Whilst I agree with others that this is definitely a better way to go, please allow us to run projects that are longer than 20 hours if we so wish to.

Cap it so you can only do a maximum of up to 5 days & so it doesn't take you over a tier.

As it stands, I have around 10 commendations which will be sat there til the weekend and I can get back on and play again!!

And yes, just one active project running looks very odd.. :rolleyes:

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

As it stands, I have around 10 commendations which will be sat there til the weekend and I can get back on and play again!!

It sounds like you ran the "Weekend Warrior" project, but don't meet the playstyle it's intended for.

The project that converts 350 Dyson Marks into 5 Commendations is intended for players that can only dedicate long periods of playtime to one/two sessions per week. The idea here is that they will still log in multiple times throughout the week for 10-15 second at a time, and spend their Commendations to kick off their progression projects.

If you're simply not logging in more than once or twice per week, this project is not for you. The extra Commendations will get you nothing if you can't log in and kick off the Large Reputation Project on a daily basis.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • thestormsongthestormsong Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree, the new Dyson rep is a huge improvement! I actually won't mind doing it on several
    characters, and the fact that I no longer have to fill my bank and inventory with large power cells etc.
    is a massive relief.

I don't really mind the commendation, yes it's one extra currency, but it's not like it's confusing as
    to what it's for. I also like the fact that I can choose what dailies I want to do to get the commendation,
    or stack up on them if I cannot play actively for a few days.

The equipment boxes are really, really nice! Especially since we can use the one hour rep project on
    alts to easily get some nice stuff for ships and bridge officers that get little love otherwise. I also
    love the fact that the store just opens up fully stocked, without the need to unlock everything
    (which I always thought was rather silly and have avoided doing for the most part).

Thank you for this new reputation system Cryptic, it's been a huge quality of life improvement,
    and I really hope that the older reputations are revamped to become like the Dyson rep :D

Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.
  • skiffy1skiffy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The extra Commendations will get you nothing if you can't log in and kick off the Large Reputation Project on a daily basis.

I'm curious what will happen to these commendations once we hit Tier 5? Are we still able to win Commendations once per day? I didn't notice a Commendation mark -> Dilithium conversion project, so I'm curious what we'll do with spares? :confused:
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    skiffy1 wrote: »
    I'm curious what will happen to these commendations once we hit Tier 5? Are we still able to win Commendations once per day? I didn't notice a Commendation mark -> Dilithium conversion project, so I'm curious what we'll do with spares? :confused:

Can they be used for giving discounts to other characters?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love Dyson Reputation because of all the reasons the OP likes it. I don't understand why the OP doesn't like the Commendations though.

By the way, nice signature, saltypineapple.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Love the changed approach to Rep in this season.

Much nicer experience, amongst others because of:
    - Less hassle inputting project reqs (much nicer indeed!)
    - Free random item every time you slot a project (feels like mini-christmas, and makes you want to slot the 150 marks)
    - Store unlocks feel like they should have worked all along
    - Recommendation through marks: great touch for people playing odd times or various alts
    - Alleviates the large drain of exp and ec's needed for repping (which was especially painful for new alts - please, please alters the other reps to mirror the Dyson rep in this regard)

Neutral point:
    - distribution of marks feels weighted in favour of ground over space (I'm ok with that, as I like this ground stuff too, but feels unevenly distributed)

Negative point:
    - high dil costs of items
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    skiffy1 wrote: »

At Tier 5, a project is supposed to unlock where you can trade them for Dyson Marks and dilithium.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Overall, it's way better than the old system.

Better distribution of gear, ground gear with costume options (still disappointed we didn't get some with Romulan Rep), tier upgrade projects that are instantly finished, not having to stockpile hypos or shield batteries, easier on new characters due to not having to contribute exp etc...

Even though I'm almost reaching T5 on every reputation system on all of my alts, I really hope for new players that the old systems will be getting the treatment the Dyson Rep has.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    :DDyson Reputation == Win!!! :D

I can play at my own speed.
    The number one absolute most awesome thing about the Dyson Rep is that I can play more/work harder and "get ahead" on the rep. The old reps are locked in at a minimum of 36 days to complete (without sponsorship). No matter how many missions I take or how often I play, the most I can earn is 2800 rep XP per day. Dyson has the large project that still locks me to a "Daily" cycle, but it's that marvelous 1hr project that is the icing on the cake.

I tend to play in 3-5hr chunks and it's easy for me to often log on for a min here or there, just to kick off that 1hr project. I've earned tons of extra rep XP already. It's been less than a week since launch and I'm already 3-4 days ahead with about 26k XP, and I'll get another 2500 this evening (plus more 150s). I should have T3 complete by Wed. :cool:

The resources required seem easier to get.
    Individual missions reward less marks than an STF, but there are all sorts of mark sources. I got marks comin' out my ears. I can't seem to spend 5 mins in the Dyson Sphere (ground or space) without earning a mark or three from something, and that's without queuing-up for a Event mission. That's just running little "activities", accepting 10-mark missions from all sorts of mission-givers, DOff Assignments, etc. Or just run/fly-ing around blowin' up the bad guys (and apparently gaining control of areas). Sure, I've done a handful each of Elachi Invasions and Breach missions (I'm not too fond of Stormin' the Spire, though, not sure why... Only done that once...), but of course I'll run a few.

I've just been playing the new content. I haven't really felt like I was replaying the same missions over-and-over again. I do expect this feeling will change once the newness wears off, and/or I start in on my second (to say nothing of my 14th) alternate characters... but that's on me, as I do think there's enough content to EASILY get one character through Dyson without there feeling like a grind. It's reasonable to feel grindy on alt-replay (though that's going to be reduced by half thanks to rep sponsorship!).

Also, there are fewer marks needed in the Rep. The 1hr project needs marks, but it's set at 20 per go, regardless of Tier. Gear needs marks too, I haven't looked to close, but those rates seem fair and on par with the other systems. I ran one 350-mark special project to get some extra Commendations (that I so far haven't needed after all), bought a 600-mark PSG, and still have 500-ish marks in my bank.

Getting rid of batteries, regens, and commodities dramatically reduces the slider game and saves time, effort, bank space, and credits. This is awesome. Going directly to inputting credits only/directly is fantastic! The reduction in Expertise is welcomed as well.

Nice Rep Powers
    I like that all the rep powers appear to have good uses. I'm not yet certain which I'm going to be taking at Tiers 3 & 4, but that just means they've both got their uses.

Free Gifts
    I'm only doing the Dyson Rep so far on my Main character, and his build is pretty solid. I haven't needed any of the free gear I've received from starting projects, but I expect some of my Alts will find use for it. Even flushing away as vendor trash is nice. The amount of credits received is more than that required by the project, so I'm making a (very small) profit on each transaction.

I think Cryptic made a significant advancement in the Dyson Rep System. Some might argue it's just another hamster wheel intended to keep us running in the game, and I wouldn't disagree, but this wheel is better hidden. It feels more integrated into the game. As I said earlier, if you just play the game you can get all you need to progress through the Rep with very little extra effort.

Well done Cryptic! Please proceed to retrofit this style of Rep with your old systems.
    starkaos wrote: »
    At Tier 5, a project is supposed to unlock where you can trade them for Dyson marks and dilithium.
    Oh, see now I thought we'd be able to trade the Commendation marks for Dilithium, but I didn't realize we'd also be able to trade them for more Dyson marks... Are you sure/Is this true? Because that's going to be a cherry on this sundae!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wan to add to the compliments. I didn't test this on Tribble so I encountered it new on holodeck.

I kept thinking things like, "Wow. It would be nice to convert marks into commendations because I can't play a lot every day." But before I could make the suggestion, I found the option to do just that. The gift boxes for doing projects make me WANT to do them. The hourly assignment is great for marathon play.

The zones are fantastic and the ways we acquire the marks are fun. The rewards seem well tuned.

I really want to congratulate everyone on a job well done.

My ONE tweak would be that I think it would be neat to have a final tier of the rep boxes, which contain consumables and gear. I'm not a fan of buying consumables attached to rep but I'd take them as part of a random box reward.

And then to drive interest in the Tier 5 boxes, have rare rewards that ONLY exist in the T5 hourly boxes.

Imagine we're talking Omega Rep. Take the KA Borg Sci BOffs. Have the hourly box provide a 1% chance at those or perhaps player unlocked versions of the Bridge officer Liberated Borg bodysuits.

Vanity items as rare drops from a T5 version of the hourly box, with consumables and gear as the standard prizes.

Gear being random is annoying because it hinders progression. And at T5, you could buy gear or get it randomly, either way. But having vanity rewards as T5 random earned box unlocks hinders nobody's progression but does keep people playing and keeps vanity items rare.

Omega could award the Borg bodysuit and variants of the KA Bridge Officer.

Romulan could award new hull texture (based on the gear sets?) and perhaps eman bridge officers.

I realize Tholian BOs could never happen (how would they sit?) but maybe an alien in an EV suit from a demon class planet, with a fiery glowing faceplate and Tholian-like abilities?

Voth Bridge officer, obviously. I keep hoping for a a tactical kit with two raptors as the security escort.
    edited November 2013
    ...I should have T3 complete by Wed...
    Turns out I got Dyson T3 completed yesterday (Tue), about midday. Man, I love the new Rep! It's lovely to be able to go at my own pace. There's all this new stuff to do in the Dyson sphere zones, so I'm playing it and earning lots of marks. In the old reps I think I would feel like I was waiting for the rewards... In Dyson I feel like the rewards are, uh, rewarded more immediately. It's so much more satisfying!!!

So yeah, burning through Dyson now. I really want to get the Sponsorship tokens for my Alts before I start them. I figure I'll slow down then (or rather be making similar progress with half the effort).

And T3's Vanquish is an awesome ability to have in the Battlezone. I look forward to Tactical Advantage (the space version) in T4.

:cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is the best reputation so far.

My reasons for liking it:

1 Less grind. -- 10 minutes of play gets you started with a commendation.

2 Cheaper grind. -- No need for half a million ec's worth of provisions, expertise, or other stuff dumped in. Just a commendation.

3 Better unlocks -- Mark XII stuff unlocked in all tiers.

4 Free gifts -- THese are useless to my super kitted ships, but to an alt or a new player these new consoles are awesome. Which is important.

5 Easy marks -- Like Romulan rep or Omega rep, this one can get marks fast. Yeah, I dislike the slow nukara mark grind.

If you are a new player, or got a new character, start Voth Reputation first.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think I'd still like to see Mk X & XI versions of the gear, however getting a Mk X, then Mk XI, and finally XII with the cost increasing so drastically is kinda painful and frankly a waste. I'd prefer an upgrade project. Let's say a Mk X set cost 500 marks 20 shield gens and 12k dil (I know this isn't the cost but bare with me) then the Mk XI set cost 600 marks, 25 shield gens and 15K dil. Instead of having to through all that into there why not have a project that cost 100 marks, 5 shield gens, 3K dil, and the Mk X set to "upgrade" to the higher set.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Personally i would like a 3 rep experience mission, one in the 4-10 hour range, for when we are sleeping/working.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
    edited November 2013
    I just got to T4 Dyson this morning. At my current pace I'll make T5 in ~10 days, finishing the Dyson Rep in ~23 days, ~2wks sooner than previous Reps (36 days).

:cool:

• captcokecancaptcokecan Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I concur with the general sentiment here.

Dyson rep doesn't even make me feel like I am grinding. I used to detest and avoid all ground, yet the Battlezone keeps me not only coming back over and over, but bringing fleetmates into it with me and teaching them how to do it.

I know it would be asking too much, but the only tweak I'd made is to make those giftbox drops bind on account. :)

Now, if we could only get this kind of action moved to other rep tracks. Defera seems natural for Omega, Nukara Prime for Nukara (loosen up the cooldowns and take the Hards off the PVE Queues; basically open up the area again!).

Romulan? Meh, I am so used to chasing Epohhs and the rep sponsorship will make it so you only need 4 of the little buggers instead of 8 for the marks.
    Hey I just vaped you, and this is crazy;
    But here's my frequency, so hail me maybe?
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, this system feels much easier. It's so easy, I'm afraid they'll decide it's too easy and not port it to the older reps.

My only complaint/concern is with the ambiguity over when you can earn a Commendation. I think a wrapper mission, just for the Commendation, with a visible cooldown in the mission journal, would have been better than attaching it as a reward to the various dailies. Sometimes it shows up as a reward, sometimes it doesn't, how do I know if it's been 20 hours?

Not that I want yet another daily mission to keep track of, but the Commendation award could have been handled better IMO.

I'd also like it if the random items from the tier boxes were account-bound. A few of those consoles wouldn't have been vendor trash if I had been able to send them to undergeared alts.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, this system feels much easier. It's so easy, I'm afraid they'll decide it's too easy and not port it to the older reps.

My only complaint/concern is with the ambiguity over when you can earn a Commendation. I think a wrapper mission, just for the Commendation, with a visible cooldown in the mission journal, would have been better than attaching it as a reward to the various dailies. Sometimes it shows up as a reward, sometimes it doesn't, how do I know if it's been 20 hours?

Not that I want yet another daily mission to keep track of, but the Commendation award could have been handled better IMO.

I'd also like it if the random items from the tier boxes were account-bound. A few of those consoles wouldn't have been vendor trash if I had been able to send them to undergeared alts.

Agreed there.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.