test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

See the Sectors with RL Star positions!

13»

Comments

• realmalizerealmalize Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I thank you for the kind words donperk, I am happy this helped you out :)
    foundry_banner1.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the issue with this is that you didn't say much about why those were better.

Professional vs Amateur .......... hmm.
    And how do you expect him to do THAT? Hmm?

They aren't recluse Hollywood celebs, you can actually E-mail them and get responses to questions.
    It's a resource that could potentially be useful to foundry authors.

Personally, I don't see the need for such a thing since Star Trek storytelling goes by the speed of plot. Only the most hardcore Trek fan will go the distance of calcuating warp speeds and distances to get to a certain world.

But to each their own, since there are people using it.
    @tyraidd: lolwut? sockpuppet much?

Dude, not cool.
    And no, stellar drift isn't that relevent.... Why? most stars drift on a course roughly parallel to each other. SOME don't but most do.

Actually that's not true. Not all stars do travel in parallel. The majority that do are binary star systems (that includes Trinary and even Quinary systems).

Stars move in all sorts of directions, you got most stars moving in the galactic oscillation, you got those influenced by the Density Wave that travel towards the center of the Galaxy, you got stars influenced by gravitational forces of neighboring stars that can greatly alter courses.

If you had to put in a way, stars move in a type of waltz.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Guys! Enough discussions already. Points are made, thinks are discussed.

Know when to quit.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited September 2013
    Folks are welcome to post questions and comments on the blog itself.
    foundry_banner1.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I apologize for posting. I was unaware I was not allowed to post a response in this forum.
    edited September 2013
    A friend from NASA JPL finally came through:

http://eyes.nasa.gov/

This program is updated through NASA's database where you can see various things such as Earth Data (climate, etc), Location Planets, Space Probes. And the third option: Updated 3-D starmap of the nearby stars and those stars with exoplanets. (Which also includes data such as habitable zones).

Since you guys seem to think I'm full of baloney, I'll let this program speak for itself.

Alimack if he should read this: There is a star called Sweeps-4 that could pull off as a true Pulmar Ree.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tyraidd wrote: »
    I apologize for posting. I was unaware I was not allowed to post a response in this forum.
    Oh it's not that. It's that your post came across as a very heavy handed "I win argument nao"...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2013
    A friend from NASA JPL finally came through:

http://eyes.nasa.gov/

This program is updated through NASA's database where you can see various things such as Earth Data (climate, etc), Location Planets, Space Probes. And the third option: Updated 3-D starmap of the nearby stars and those stars with exoplanets. (Which also includes data such as habitable zones).

Since you guys seem to think I'm full of baloney, I'll let this program speak for itself.

Alimack if he should read this: There is a star called Sweeps-4 that could pull off as a true Pulmar Ree.

Once again, we are not suppose to feed your need to argue, according to the forum moderator Bluegeek (as posted in this thread above...read the whole thread, don't be in debate mode.)

I've posted several things both in this thread and on the blog which address the accuracy of the "Real Life STO Maps" -- suffice it to say, I've proven that they are indeed reasonably accurate representations within rounding and margin of errors.

If you feel the need to continue to address issues of accuracy, then please take them to the blog as the moderator Bluegeek requested.

This thread is to keep to the relevance of the maps as a tool for the Foundry authors.
    foundry_banner1.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Added your site to the useful links thread.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited September 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Added your site to the useful links thread.

Thanks, starswordc :)
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited September 2013
    realmalize wrote: »
    Once again, we are not suppose to feed your need to argue, according to the forum moderator Bluegeek (as posted in this thread above...read the whole thread, don't be in debate mode.)

I've posted several things both in this thread and on the blog which address the accuracy of the "Real Life STO Maps" -- suffice it to say, I've proven that they are indeed reasonably accurate representations within rounding and margin of errors.

If you feel the need to continue to address issues of accuracy, then please take them to the blog as the moderator Bluegeek requested.

This thread is to keep to the relevance of the maps as a tool for the Foundry authors.

You said it yourself that this thread is dedicated for star maps as a tool, did you not? Or isn't NASA Starmaps good enough for Foundry authors?

Just feels odd given that you praised Celestia earlier in this thread, which functions similarly.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Gentlemen, please cease and desist posting responses that violate or come near to violating the following Forum rules:

Flaming and/or Trolling
    You may not post content which contains insults to other users or Perfect World Entertainment Staff, are specifically made to create undue discontent on the forums, disturbances in forum threads, pick fights or otherwise promote unfriendly conversation.

Harassing Material
    You may not create posts which contain material that is repetitively insulting, defaming and/or otherwise harassing any other user and/or any PWE employee, officer and/or director.

Spamming
    You may not create posts which contain:
    Posting of off-topic comments, including but not limited to comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature.

If anyone would like to continue discussing the OP's maps from an astronomical point of view, he has his own blog and has invited people to comment there.

This forum is specifically related to the Foundry system and to Foundry content. Please limit your discussions in this forum to those topics.

I really need your cooperation on this.

Regards,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited September 2013
    *removed* ............
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited September 2013
    I've been busy of late, so haven't been able to allocate the time to transfer the next 20LY worth of data -- however, with the new "Overall Map" I thought it would be fun to plot the ENT voyages down where it might be clearer:

http://malsmaps.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/stomap2x1ent.jpg

keeping in mind that there are sections of the voyage where an unknown amount of stops/dithering occur along a particular path -- so it's best to consult the chart with the time traveled and compare it to the rough course plot shown.
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited November 2013
    added Kalandra Sector

updated the overall map and gazetter
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited November 2013
    Keep up to date with the STO RL Sector Maps Project by reading the Change Log
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited November 2013
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm... you know, AFAIK Eta Carinae hasn't actually exploded (yet). AFAIK it was something more like a CME. But on a much larger scale than seen in our solar system.

Actually, it may have. If that star is 8000 light years away, it may have already went nova. We may not have received the light yet. This marks a potential problem with the OP's premise, as the galaxy may be drastically changed from what we see due to the constraints of the speed of light.

That being said, I agree this project is cool. And I hope the developers would take note.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    qultuq wrote: »
    Actually, it may have. If that star is 8000 light years away, it may have already went nova. We may not have received the light yet. This marks a potential problem with the OP's premise, as the galaxy may be drastically changed from what we see, due to the constraints of the speed of light.

That being said, I agree this project is cool. And I hope the developers would take note.
    Well, my point was that we have no reason to believe it went boom already, sure, it might have but we don't know.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2013
    If Eta Carinae went nova sometime in the past 300 years then I'm sure it'll be reflected in STO Season 799 due to be released in 2313 :)

Meanwhile, we just gotta muddle along :)

In that direction the data dumps I've been taking from the SIMBAD database have been working out really well. I'm working on meshing the edges of the old database with a slightly overlapping slice of SIMBAD data so I get a good known parallax boundary to continue more directed dumps from. Previously I had been using SIMBAD for verifying each individual star,etc. referenced in the other Db, as a kind of double check...now I wish I had just skipped that step and pulled from SIMBAD direct for the first 100LY since I've discovered their direct query download method where I can pretty much copy and paste most everything but the RAh/RAm/Dec direct into the STO RL Sector Maps wood chipper.

Combine that with the way I sort the info now by X,Y and it makes plopping stars in sectors and finding/referencing locations much faster then when I started this.

I've also almost nailed down the first three TNG season locations (season 1 and 2 are 99%, season 3 about 80% done) and that is working out kinda nice as I am seeing a rough seasonal pattern to the 1701-D's deployments (with one or two episode exceptions each of the first three seasons does seem to want to naturally "congregate" across what would be a Sector Block or two worth of space...which is kinda cool :) )
    foundry_banner1.png
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    realmalize wrote: »
    If Eta Carinae went nova sometime in the past 300 years then I'm sure it'll be reflected in STO Season 799 due to be released in 2313 :)

Realmalize, if the star did go nova 300 years ago (or 1713) . We wouldn't see it on earth until 8000 years after the fact (or 9713 assuming your calculation is correct and Eta Carinae is 8000 light years away). Hence it is quite probable that Eta Carinae no longer exists. So it would never exist in STO (unless your ship time traveled into 6000 BCE deep-space to check it out). That is why mapping Star trek events onto our visible galaxy makes little scientific sense. However, it makes more sense than having a galaxy that has no resemblance to our own (as our current STO map has little resemblance to the galaxy now, 8000 years ago or 300 years from now).
  • donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey realmalize,

I just noticed on the overview map that the Gariman sector has moved "north" by a block and east by a block. With three new named sector blocks added in the vicinity. I noticed mainly because I'm using Gariman as a story location for "A Bridge Too Far: Survival". The move actually works in my favor as it gave me a better reference point for finding an appropriate star system in the neighborhood that Trek has not already explored. (HIP 44894, an F2 class star.)

Thanks again for all the work you are doing on this. It may not be perfect, but it gives authors a point of reference to work from.
    edited November 2013
    donperk wrote: »
    Hey realmalize,

I just noticed on the overview map that the Gariman sector has moved "north" by a block and east by a block. With three new named sector blocks added in the vicinity. I noticed mainly because I'm using Gariman as a story location for "A Bridge Too Far: Survival". The move actually works in my favor as it gave me a better reference point for finding an appropriate star system in the neighborhood that Trek has not already explored. (HIP 44894, an F2 class star.)

Thanks again for all the work you are doing on this. It may not be perfect, but it gives authors a point of reference to work from.

Hope that works out better then :)

yesterday afternoon I went to a kids birthday party at one of those giant pizza/game places right after coming off a weekend of flu...so after that horrific experience I spent some quiet time researching Klingon/Gorn sector names and figuring out the Gariman/Alawanir/Klacht D'Kel Bracht deal...until it dawned on me that Alawanir and Klacht D'kel Bracht could be the same thing with different names...that snapped the rest of the stuff right into position.

There was a lot of jockeying around this past week trying to get a good location for Cait within about 3 to 4-ish sectors from Ferasa (roughly similar to the Vulcan/Romulan diaspora distance) and within Fed space. With the assumption that the Klingon space location of the canon Cait location would make that Ferasa...Cait couldn't be in the Fed claims from after the Fed/Kling Alliance (this would seem to be contradictory to M'ress being in SF and Star Charts had Cait near Tholian space anyway...but way over in the Alpha Q)...since I stuck the Tholians in the Hyades Cluster (due to a very passing reference in ENT that linked Gamma Tauri to Vintaak, where the Defiant was being held...and the background logic that Vintaak in mirror universe is also vintaak in prime universe, etc. and thus likely very close to the interphase...blah, blah, etc.) ... basically this made placing Cait down in Fed space that connects to the Gamma Orionis area a logical fit. The "Mirak" sector name is a nod and a bridge to the Ferasan canon origin Kzinti...this leaves open the possibility that the Kzin/Ferasan's from TAS's "Slaver Weapon" could be another self-interested faction of Caitian/Ferasans from this sector area (esp. since "Slaver Weapon" takes place in our now established Gamma Orionis SB area.) or just the same Ferasans from up Lyncis way but not yet assimilated into the KE at the time of TAS.
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited November 2013
    qultuq wrote: »
    Realmalize, if the star did go nova 300 years ago (or 1713) . We wouldn't see it on earth until 8000 years after the fact (or 9713 assuming your calculation is correct and Eta Carinae is 8000 light years away). Hence it is quite probable that Eta Carinae no longer exists. So it would never exist in STO (unless your ship time traveled into 6000 BCE deep-space to check it out). That is why mapping Star trek events onto our visible galaxy makes little scientific sense. However, it makes more sense than having a galaxy that has no resemblance to our own (as our current STO map has little resemblance to the galaxy now, 8000 years ago or 300 years from now).

I'll rephrase my intent: "if the light of it going nova was 300 years away"

It may make little scientific sense, but in reality how else would one approach the situation asides from what is currently observable? Otherwise one may as well be a psychic :)

What exists in any scifi universe is beyond the knowable...if one were to accept only the unknowable reality as it exists right now, then we could not even accept the current condition of Proxima Centauri, let alone anywhere else...taken to an even higher level of extreme, 8 minutes from now we may find out our own Sun has suffered some catastrophe.

As you say, doing this is an attempt to impose a sense of reliable order to the ST fantasy setting with information as we know it now, courtesy of the hard work and nice folks at the Strasbourg astronomical Data Center.
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited November 2013
    As a milestone: all the existing STO sectors have been "plopped" and the overall map is updated to reflect this.

Integration of TNG seasons about 70% complete.

The stars database has over 11,000 entries.
    foundry_banner1.png