test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #18

Comments

• furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really really hope your bridge officers sit in the chairs instead of phasing though them.. you know like they do on 98% of the time
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I want a Klingon bridge with a mini game to kill my weapons officer on it :P
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My only question is, why are the bridge doors so massive? There are no Brikar in STO, so it makes no sense.

Support for Tholian and Gorn BOFFs walking around the decks in the future, I believe.
  • illustriousqillustriousq Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm curious as to when the TNG era ship interiors are going to show up. Would be nice to have an interior that matches my Galaxy Class starship.
  • emilywassonemilywasson Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Love the new Hallways.... interior... also it feels right also.. is the new hallways going to be on every federation starships, also are you guys are working on revamping the Mess Hall, the sickbay, Engineering section.. would like the transporter section of the ship where it's in the section of the ships shuttle bay...

great work thou..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Someone -

At Cryptic's been kicking up the quality a notch on all things Trek lately. And don't think it hasn't gone unnoticed either !

The Worf episode (Worf = classic Trek)
    WORF'S APPERANCE ( doesn't really need any commentary)
    The Avenger, (she's a quality ship !)
    The tactical warbirds (they are beautiful !)

Now these BEAUTIFUL new federation interiors ! :D

Cryptic, I seriously like what I've been seeing lately ! I gotta tell ya.

If the past few projects are any indication, there are gonna be a lot of barefooted players walking around after season 8 launch.

I CAN'T WAIT !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Only the Origins Bridge will be available at Season 8 launch as the new default bridge option. I hope we can get the hallways in in a future update, but I don't have an ETA on if/when. I'll most definitely pass along the feedback as I think everyone would like to see them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

WHY?

I mean if its designed and implemented why aren't we getting the corridors too??

TBH this was something that was bounced around a lot for the past 3 years...the Belfast interior was the first "true" ship interior we got (nice tease at this point) so now that its done...we still have the "carrot on the stick" situation...

please...dinosaurs be damned...interiors take priority at this point
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Only the Origins Bridge will be available at Season 8 launch as the new default bridge option. I hope we can get the hallways in in a future update, but I don't have an ETA on if/when. I'll most definitely pass along the feedback as I think everyone would like to see them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully the new interior style will become available sooner than later, even if it ends up being a C-Store pack with bridge variants and maybe a new ship.

In terms of hte bridge, it's nice. I like the look of it a lot but most have pointed out that the doors are way too big. When you can fly a shuttle through them, that's too big. I'm not a big fan of the fish bowl in the middle either. That may be personal preference but I also don't like the C-Store Odyssey bridges either. The rest of the bridge looks quite nice. If the end of the fish bowl opposite of the chairs flowed into the stairs or even slopped down to the lowest level of the bridge, I think that would streamline the look. Again, just personal preferences. Great job though! I hope we will see a new Ready Room to go along with this new bridge as well.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • koppenflakkoppenflak Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, new bridge, but no new corridors or engine room.

Right, so we get another aircraft hangar which doesn't actually address the problem of the rest of the default Fed interior which we see for the life of every character after the tutorial.

This isn't really a fix. This is a bandaid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly I'm not impressed with the Origin bridge.
    You guys were doing so well with scale on the Belfast and TOS bridges... but now it seems were back to bridges being the sizes of small shuttlebays again... :(
    No matter how good they look it just isn't at all immersive.
    We did not want the player to feel like they have no room to move around in whilst in combat.

I just do not agree at all with this concept.
    Combat aboard a starship is meant to be feel tight and claustrophobic, its a starship after all! Not a space station or open terrain.
    You see it frequently in the series, how officers try to take cover in various jefferies tube alcoves and around corners, often being pinned down if the attackers get the drop on them.
  • kitsuneichibankitsuneichiban Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The new design looks beautiful, but that bridge is still about two or three times larger than it should be. I've actually been on the Enterprise D's bridge set, and it's smaller than some of the camera angles made it appear. It's not claustrophobic by any measure, but I'd call it just 25-30 feet square.
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i was super excited, until i read this:
    I am pleased to tell you all that the new design caters to both of these aspects, while not losing the required specs for combat gameplay.

this is a problem. if you want to claim to be responding to the players desires, you need to stop saying or even thinking things like this.

i haven't been on tribble, but the bridge does look nice, though it's obviously still way oversized.

the pic of the corridor looks very nice in terms of the architecture, but there's definitely some problems.
    1. the blue... LCARS is everything but blue... enough with the blue already
    2. the style and placement of the lights doesn't look right. circles on the ceiling are so 20th century
    3. the scale could be anywhere, can't tell without a point of reference. yeah it looks nice, but if my 6'2" human stands at less than 70 or 75 percent of the total ceiling height, immersion will be broken.

whatever issues you have with claustrophobia from battling in cramped spaces, try to remember... THATS WHAT WE WANT! we want to walk/run/fight/pet tribbles/afk in spaces that look and feel like whats on tv.

with all that said, i'm still pretty excited that interiors are getting some attention, and i hope that it reaches further that we've been told. but please, stop listening to the guy in the office that likes the color blue, and big spaces. and you shouldn't listen too much to the people that praise every new update either. listen to the players that have real gripes and real ideas to make them better. in fact just find the most outspoken critic on the forum, AND HIRE HIM as an idea guy.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dig it all. Now, are you going to fix the problem of bridge officers not showing up on the your bridge itself and not some randomly generated npc? Also what about being able to place said bridge officers in the seats you want them at?
  • tlwarhoundtlwarhound Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I look at the picture, and what I see is my away team getting stuck on the pillars sticking out from the wall. Curved corridors with obstacles, and the less than impressive pathfinding for the away teams, not a good mix.

Other than that major horror, it looks great.:(
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly I'm not impressed with the Origin bridge.
    You guys were doing so well with scale on the Belfast and TOS bridges... but now it seems were back to bridges being the sizes of small shuttlebays again... :(
    No matter how good they look it just isn't at all immersive.

I just do not agree at all with this concept.
    Combat aboard a starship is meant to be feel tight and claustrophobic, its a starship after all! Not a space station or open terrain.
    You see it frequently in the series, how officers try to take cover in various jefferies tube alcoves and around corners, often being pinned down if the attackers get the drop on them.

I will add, I love playing and making Foundry missions that use the Belfast and TOS interior for combat. Suddenly cover is an issue for you and your enemies. The tight maneuvering makes the action feel intense and cinematic.
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cryptic,

So, am I understanding it right, that rooms and hallways need to be very large, in order to allow players room to manoeuvre in combat? Would it help at all, if players default movement was walking, rather then jogging, thus covering less ground, and allowing more realistic spaces?
    edited November 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    Oh yeah, if we could have these interiors for some of the Federation missions it would be fantastic. Imagine doing Deja Q (I think that's the mission name), going back to Wolf 359 and taking eliminating the Borg onboard the Saratoga.

Thanks for passing our feedback along Branflakes :).

Except... Ah... The Saratoga shouldn't be that advanced and shouldn't have blue LCARS either.

Really, I do think that mission could stand some remastering. But it should probably only happen if we get TNG interiors (or Enterprise-A/Excelsior interiors with LCARS panels bashed in). It would be nice to have crew in era appropriate uniforms and maybe have us encounter someone who we meet present day (which is semi-plausible for a mission set 40 odd years ago, some cadet there could be an admiral now).

Right now, that mission has some Q wizardry going for it but doesn't sell itself as time travel very well and using the modern interiors would only further distance it from seeming authentic.
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Cryptic,

So, am I understanding it right, that rooms and hallways need to be very large, in order to allow players room to manoeuvre in combat? Would it help at all, if players default movement was walking, rather then jogging, thus covering less ground, and allowing more realistic spaces?

i can get behind that
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wfs5519 wrote: »
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Mostly, Modularizing the Warp Core chambers to reflect our currently fitted in-game warp core(maybe slightly modified with 2409 tech)

This yes

Thanks sweety ^-^
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
    edited November 2013
    blevok wrote: »
    i can get behind that

I've said different times, I think the Batman: Arkham games are a decent model for things you could do in an MMO.

All melee comes with auto-charge. Glowing objects/quest items available in a special detective mode. Walking as the normal speed. Claustrophobic spaces. Even rooms with fixed cameras where necessary.

There are a lot of things you typically can't do in an MMO that you can do in a console game. I would eat up an MMO that tries to approximate Arkham's sense of style more than EQ or FPSes. I especially am not fond of RTS-y playstyles in MMOs. I've known people who zoom the camera back 500 yards or use click to move reticle movement and I think it just destroys the sense of fun and atmosphere.

Zoom that camera in fairly tight. Swing it around while you're doing stuff. So much more fun.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    When can we expect 'hallway kits' on the foundry?
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Cryptic,

If they made the default speed, walking speed, then they would have to fix the boff away team's walking, which broke shortly after LoR came out.

Ever since LoR, my away team doesn't walk anymore, they just shuffle along fitfully behind me.

(and while we're already on this tangent, being able to draw my away team in tigher, or spread them out more (pgup/pgdn?) to adjust the formation for different situations would be real nice to have. Even changing the formation completely... like maybe being able to switch to single-file... or switch to my away team taking point in front of me, etc...)

-- Smoov
  • kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Will the Captain's Quarters on the crew deck have any interactive objects, such as being able to access Path to 2409 while ingame? And with the panelled wall sections, does this mean that players will be able to furnish the Captain's Quarters and personalise them?
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh. My. Q. :eek:

All this time I've gotten used to the straight hallways but daaaaaaamn the new interiors can't come soon enough!! :D

Really excellent work here!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    at last! a federation ship with federation decks that are recognizable as such. never liked the old stuff, but i imagine all federation ships, including those in missions would be getting this along with a number of overhauls to current map designs for missions to make it look like a section of a federation ships internal lay out.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Those look awesome! I'm so surprised we're not having to pay for them o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the bridge seems to be double the size of what it should be. design is good, hallways too but still, way too big. i think this bridge looks like 2 decks where it should be only one.
    What ? Calaway.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Environment Artist Jeff "LCDRMiller" Miller shares details about the process behind redesigning the interiors seen in the upcoming, revamped Federation tutorial in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

The hallway screen looks wonderful. If you plan to release a interior set in store based on this I beg you on my friggin knees to make it possible to make it still possible to choose a different bridge with the new interior.

The screen of the bridge looks awesome too, but I would love to keep my Aquarius bridge on my main ship but use the awesome new interior with it.

*begs some minutes more on knees*
  • ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To quote Picard from a deleted scene in Nemesis: "It's about time."
  • digimatldigimatl Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    finally! :) looks very nice and will be a lot more immersive :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]