test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Romulan Fleet Starbase Aesthetics

protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Romulan Discussion
[Edit: Whether you think it's likely that Cryptic would agree to this or not, the question you should answer is not that, but rather, whether or not you would like to see it. Please answer that, because an answer to the other question is pointless and unproductive. Thanks.]

So I'm wandering around the Tal'Diann starbase, and I see all these Klingon logos (inside and out). I see Orions and Klingons (as well as other races from the Klingon Empire), but no Romulans, Remans, or Sulibans (in spite of my own personal contributions of all three to the starbase projects). I look over the special projects and see projects for all sorts of Klingon-specific aesthetic enhancements.

Tal'Diann is a ROMULAN fleet.

While we have (and welcome) Orions and a few Klingons in our ranks, we are first and foremost a ROMULAN fleet.

I don't want Klingon artwork, museum replicas of Klingon uniforms from various periods in history, and other Klingon-specific aesthetic motifs in the Tal'Diann starbase.

I got the Orion dancing girls, the bloodwine fountain and hunting trophies, and maybe one or two other special projects already done for the starbase, and am currently working on the fireplace special project (all of which I wanted and still want). However, the majority (if not all) of the other special projects available will add more and more Klingon-specific decorations. Even the Majestic staircase adds Bat'leth motifs. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I started a ROMULAN fleet, not a Klingon fleet. I want ROMULAN artwork, ROMULAN logos, historical ROMULAN uniforms on display, etc. Surely it's not too much of a hassle for Cryptic to copy-paste some code from the New Romulus Command Center into fleet starbase special projects and let us have the option of Romulanizing our starbases, rather than Klingonizing them. (For that matter, I don't see why KDF starbases can't have Orion logos, Gorn logos, etc, and why Fed starbases can't have Vulcan, Andorian, etc. logos, but at the moment, and in this present thread, those concerns are off-topic).

My suggestion:
Take all the special projects with faction-specific aesthetic offerings and re-code them to allow for fleet leaders to have the option to select something other than the primary faction's emblems, artwork, uniforms, etc, AND put Romulan, Reman, and Suliban NPCs in all starbases (since Romulans and Remans are now spread throughout both most if not all Klingon and most if not all Federation fleets).

As noted above parenthetically, this could be (and should have already been) done for the races which make up the UFP and Klingon Empire, but now that Romulans are a "sub-faction" (or whatever term Cryptic prefers to use for whatever the Romulans currently are in-game), it becomes a more pressing concern. While I like the Klingon Empire well enough (both OOC and IC), I don't want Klingon Empire logos on or inside my starbase. I want Romulan logos. It's a Romulan fleet, not a Klingon fleet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would not get my hopes up since we're not a full faction its doubtful that we will ever have our own style starbase
  • grejvxgrejvx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would not get my hopes up since we're not a full faction its doubtful that we will ever have our own style starbase

Sadly, I must agree to this.
    It's not same, but at least we have RCC for us (+ access to allied bases).
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Whether you believe it's likely or not, do you support the idea?
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Would be nice to have an equal identity but, this will not happen. Just think what starbase for us would look like...... hail the empire, i mean republic.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    My Romulan fleet leader and I were just discussing this exact concept the other day in Singularity Core. While we would happily build up Rom bases ground up, we were thinking itd be FAR more likely Cryptic would/could add some cosmetic changes like you are talking about.

Our initial idea was less grand than your own suggestion, we were thinking itd be nice if we could at least get a Rom exterior to our base, itd only affect the look when ya warped into the system but itd be something.

He even suggested it could be restricted to tier 5 bases so Cryptic didnt have to take time off from making tropical birds and jetpacks to make multiple stages of the base model/skin.

Even if we kept the NPCs but just got some Romulan Exteriors and Interiors for the base itself itd be frikking awesome.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What I think they should do is take what design assets they already have created and availible in game, then use them to compile a kind of a Romulan Fleet Starbase. This way they don't neccessarily have to do a lot of work and design from scratch, but only to compile the availible Romulan assets in game into one coherent whole which would represent the Romulan Starbase.

There are in game models of Romulan starbase exteriors as well as Romulan interiors, so the way I see it - current fleets would be offered the option to run a special project costing 200k dilithium (just as the rest special projects) that reskins their current Fleet Starbase into a Romulan one. I know many fleets that would immediatlely jump on this one, heck I'm in one of them myself.

We also need a Romulan Academy. This can also be created by utilizing existing assets from New Romulus and NR Command as well as certain elements encountered in missions, like 'Cutting the cord' to name one example.
    The excuse of "The Republic is new and doesn't have manpower and infrastructure to have an Academy" was ok for the beginning, but eventually we need to have this as the Republic is suposedly growing and establishing itself in the galaxy. The less reasons I have to go to Sol, the better.
    If the RR can create a fleet of Scimitars and develop new starships like the Ar'kif, they certainly have the capacity and need to establish an Academy.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    We also need a Romulan Academy. This can also be created by utilizing existing assets from New Romulus and NR Command as well as certain elements encountered in missions, like 'Cutting the cord' to name one example.
    The excuse of "The Republic is new and doesn't have manpower and infrastructure to have an Academy" was ok for the beginning, but eventually we need to have this as the Republic is suposedly growing and establishing itself in the galaxy. The less reasons I have to go to Sol, the better.
    If the RR can create a fleet of Scimitars and develop new starships like the Ar'kif, they certainly have the capacity and need to establish an Academy.
    Indeed, if we have "grown" enough to "need" our own flagship, then imo, we have "grown" enough to need an academy to replace fleet personnel :P
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yep. +1. Do want.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • sharksinspacesharksinspace Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm onboard so lets keep pressing the issue.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I do want to see more Romulan Space facilities and graphics.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am fully behind this idea!
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • jazonshay1983jazonshay1983 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I support this idea.

My fleet would kill me (i guess^^) if i changed the fleet holdings cosmetics to Romulan themed since we started as FED fleet, but i wouldn't do it anyway.

WHAT i would is: Leave the fleet with my Romulan character an join a Romulan themed fleet with all its cosmetics.

What i would LOVE to do is: Leave my Fed-Fleet with my Romulan character an found a new one when Romulans become a full faction (and lose the "r" in fRaction^^).
    But i guess this is utopic and will be so forever. And yes, i would also LOVE to spend all the dilithium, doffs, expertise for a new ROMULAN starbase etc. from the scratch, when Romulans ever become a full faction.

I know, all that will never happen, but could somebody tell me what the latest feedback from devs on a full Romulan faction was? And when that feddback was given? After searching the forum it seems to me that the request for a full Romulan faction...died out? Or is it common sense now that turning the Romulan fRaction into a full faction is technically not possible because we all had to choose our allied faction and fly our FED or KDF masters' ships now?

BUT -and i have absolutely no idea how complicated or even possible at all it is to do this- i'd like to ask: Wouldn't it be possible to implement a feature to make it possible to LEAVE an allied faction? To be free again. Of course you wouldn't be able to use your bought ships (and fleet stuff) from your former allies anymore. That's the price to pay, but i would definitely pay it.

I really really really don't need new content or missions to level through to have a level 50 Romulan. Just let the decision for an allied faction in the leveling process. But i would love it to have the possibility to leave the chosen faction after hitting level 50 to be in duty for D'tan and no one else. My Romulan doesn't care about the FED's primary directive and he absolutely doesn't care about what the STO KDF calls "honor". He wants to build and serve the ROMULAN Republic.

I love my Romulan...and his warbirds...but playing him as an allied Fed-slave feels...wrong...

Oh, and of course: Sorry for the bad English :-)
    edited February 2014
    BUT -and i have absolutely no idea how complicated or even possible at all it is to do this- i'd like to ask: Wouldn't it be possible to implement a feature to make it possible to LEAVE an allied faction? To be free again. Of course you wouldn't be able to use your bought ships (and fleet stuff) from your former allies anymore. That's the price to pay, but i would definitely pay it.

Why do you assume we would no longer be able to fly ships we already own? I have a number of ships which are not of Romulan or Reman design, only two of which are from the KDF. If I can fly an Elachi S'gloth, a vessel designed and constructed by a species which is explicitly adversarial to Romulans, I see no reason why I would not be able to fly my Kamarag and Koro't'inga.
    edited February 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    Why do you assume we would no longer be able to fly ships we already own? I have a number of ships which are not of Romulan or Reman design, only two of which are from the KDF. If I can fly an Elachi S'gloth, a vessel designed and constructed by a species which is explicitly adversarial to Romulans, I see no reason why I would not be able to fly my Kamarag and Koro't'inga.

Please don't get me wrong, it's not a "must have" for me at all to lose the ability to fly your former allies' ships after leaving their faction.
    It's just that i think a faction you leave would probably say: "If you don't support us and our goals anymore, you stay out of our ships and keep your hands off our technology!"

It would be like: A Romulan who wants to fly Fed ships has to stay with his/her Fed allies. Same for KDF.

It's not my wish, but i would be willing to do so if that is the price for my Romulan to break free from his "allied faction" and serve the Republic. But i must admit in my opinion this is a fair price since no Fed or KDF character can fly Romulan Warbirds. And when i want to fly Fed or KDF ships i play my Fed characters or klingons. A Romulan who commands FED ships is called Vulcan. A Romulan who commands KDF ships is called...traitor?^^

Elachi ships and all the other lockbox and lobi ships are cross faction ships anyway.
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited February 2014

^^^^Points for truth here. The reason why Romulans don't have their own starbases is like it or not, We don't have our own "full and separate" faction, till that day comes were nothing more then Federation/Kdf Merc's. That's why all Romulans have to look at is ugly Klingon Brown Or dull Starfleet Grey interiors, in starbases.

Do I support romulan starbases? heck yeah! But I also want to be able to ditch the ally system, and say to each "allied" faction. Thanks for the stuff. "Get off my Planet!" *read in Harrison ford voice*
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    A Romulan who commands KDF ships is called...traitor?^^

Call this woman a "traitor." I dare you.
    edited February 2014

Ummm, I heard Tovan Khev saying this to Wesley Crusher during their dinner last night in this little Talaxian restaurant...So, please don't kill the messenger :-)

Jokes apart, what i wanted to say from the beginning:

YES to Romulan looking Starbases/Holdings with Romulan interior and Romulan crew

(IF IT'S NOT POSSIBLE to turn the Romulan Republic into a full faction).

And by the way: think about the next "new faction"...Cardassians split up between FED and KDF. More "allies" who set their feet on their "allies'" starbases and only think "What the .... am i doing here?!?!"
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Forest from the trees syndrome again. lol

She wasn't forced to serve either as a proxy soldier "ally" in the Klingon Defense force, or in the Federation's Starfleet.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I completely agree with this idea!

I might as well add it to my sig... :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm surprised this necro lasted this long. Might as well post anyways: I'd love this.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not a necro 'till it's archived. Rihan/Havran starbases, here here!
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png