test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

KCB or Omni-AP?

bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
I've got a fleet Defiant-R with 3 DHCs, torpedo launcher, 2 turrets and the two piece borg weapon set. I've been playing with the Omni-Directional AP beam array. It seems to do better than the Kinetic Cutting Beam. Has anybody looked at it closely?

Or are they both just shiny and the best layout is 3 DHCs, torpedo launcher, and 3 turrets?
Post edited by bohiap on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The kcb does less damage to shields while the omni stays true to shields and hull.

Owa is amazing on procs. Well worth sacrificing a turret for. If you use full AP, might as well toss the omni as well.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    The kcb does less damage to shields while the omni stays true to shields and hull.

Owa is amazing on procs. Well worth sacrificing a turret for. If you use full AP, might as well toss the omni as well.

Pretty much what this person said, however if you prefer to get the omega weapon amp benefit while not using the kcb, than you need equip the omega torpedo launcher to go with the assimilated console. :o
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited November 2013
    Pretty much what this person said, however if you prefer to get the omega weapon amp benefit while not using the kcb, than you need equip the omega torpedo launcher to go with the assimilated console. :o

Omega torp it is. :D But, PWO doffs don't work with the Omega torps correct?
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    im probably going to replace one of my AP turrets with this beam for PvE. In PvP it would interfere with my fore DBB for my BO spikes, unfortunately.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bohiap wrote: »
    Omega torp it is. :D But, PWO doffs don't work with the Omega torps correct?

You don't need 'em - the Omega torp is bugged differently than before, but still bugged. It will count down from 5 charges to 1, and then start again at 5.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Antiproton Beam Array is only good if you do not have access to fleet turrets. Advanced Antiproton Fleet Turrets deal significantly more damage than the beam array manages.

Also while the KCB deals less damage to shields once you rip shields down it deals as much as a Advanced Fleet Dual Beam Bank of your choice in a 360 arc and even MORE if you use the Assimilated Tractor Beam ahead of time. So it is a pretty potent weapon. Also against structures and unshielded targets it is pretty powerful.
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Omni could be good for my Vesta. I used to have 3 auxDHC and 3 turrets. Now I'll replace one turret with Omni so I can have subsystem targeting possible.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For PVE, why not both? PVP? Not sure on it. I haven't used it there. Besides, I suck at PVP anyway. hahaha
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2013
    I use DBB, 3x DHC instead of a torp... I also use the doffs that provide shield pen when using beam overload... just a thought for u.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    damix4 wrote: »
    Omni could be good for my Vesta. I used to have 3 auxDHC and 3 turrets. Now I'll replace one turret with Omni so I can have subsystem targeting possible.

Except that it does not run on Aux power like those and it is not a Phaser. Therefore it fails on two very important levels. It would deal extremely pathetic damage if your damage consoles are Phaser (which they SHOULD be) and your power is all in Aux (which if you actually run the Aux cannons it SHOULD be).
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Except that it does not run on Aux power like those and it is not a Phaser. Therefore it fails on two very important levels. It would deal extremely pathetic damage if your damage consoles are Phaser (which they SHOULD be) and your power is all in Aux (which if you actually run the Aux cannons it SHOULD be).

Yes, my power in auxiliary is maxed and I have all phaser consoles (Leech and warp core helps in getting other power levels high). Phaser turret that would be replaced is not run on auxiliary. Damage of Omni is higher than damage of turret so I don't mind having phaser and antiproton at the same time as I'll be able to use subsystem targeting now (Vesta ship). Also, I could put KCB at the back and I would be in similar situation as damage consoles I have don't increase it and it is not run on auxiliary. My idea was to have subsystem targeting which I plan to use in PvE. Let me know if I'm wrong with strength of Omni over phaser turret, I haven't tested anything, just speaking my view. Thanks.
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't have any numbers or anything but, in my experience "target system x" that comes with sci vessels is not usually worth the trouble. Someone may contradict me, but that is what I think.