test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please get rid of the shared torpedo cooldown!

peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
It makes me sad that torpedoes don't work like energy weapons and fire in sequence. I would LOVE to have both the Romulan Hyper-Plasma and Omega torpedo fire forward together at almost the same time. Unfortunately when I slot them both up front (in whichever position along with a beam), the Omega Torpedo will happily pew pew away while my Hyper-Plasma just sits there because of the shared torpedo cooldown. The only way I can occasionally get the Hyper-Plasma to fire is to either endlessly mash buttons with manual fire or force the Omega to cooldown with a THY.

And yes, I am using 3 purple torpedo doffs. (Overkill I know, but I like to drain the borg into submission and make them burn!)

Torpedoes already have enough problems with the insane lack of shield penetration (even with only a tiny sliver of shields on the target). But the shared cooldown makes them even worse.
"Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
Post edited by peter1z9 on

Comments

• rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I thought they only had a 1 second shared cool down? Beams and cannons do the same. It was 3 seconds but that was changed a little bit back.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They'd have to adjust torp damage if folks could fire 5 torps at the same time instead of with that delay between each. You'd also run into issues with the PWO DOFFs, etc, etc, etc.

Definitely kind of annoying not to be able to fire them all at the same time like somebody could do with their energy weapons...but it would take a lot of work on Cryptic's part to try to balance it out, no?
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I run mostly projectiles w/2 doffs and if they're left on autofire, occasionally the cooldowns of one or two will get blocked up by the 5 salvos of the omega torpedo interfering, but if you keep watch and mess with them manually for one cycle, usually you can get them back to chaining into a relatively constant stream of torps. I can't really say that I'm unhappy about the way things work currently.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They'd have to adjust torp damage if folks could fire 5 torps at the same time instead of with that delay between each. You'd also run into issues with the PWO DOFFs, etc, etc, etc.

Definitely kind of annoying not to be able to fire them all at the same time like somebody could do with their energy weapons...but it would take a lot of work on Cryptic's part to try to balance it out, no?

I agree with Virus here. For all the issues this game has, keeping a 1 second delay between torps helps balance them out.

Now mines on the other hand...
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They could I suppose create a 2 torpedo combo system w/x global cd change to compensate for the now used cd in place. It would allow for a combo more like you are after, while limiting people from launching massive 3-5 torpedo weapons all at once. :o
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013

What the OP is asking for is to get it into a sequence. I.E. if you have 5 torps, it isnt blasting 5 at once, its pop, pop, pop, pop, pop in a sequence. With the current global of that one second its (next to) impossible to get a secquence acheived.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What the OP is asking for is to get it into a sequence. I.E. if you have 5 torps, it isnt blasting 5 at once, its pop, pop, pop, pop, pop in a sequence. With the current global of that one second its (next to) impossible to get a secquence acheived.

Exactly. It's less noticeable but beam weapons and even cannons do the same thing with sequence firing. However, if you have more than one torpedo forward or aft, the torpedo shared cooldown doesn't allow them to fire in sequence without one suppressing the other one's firing cycle. You can see this in action especially with multiple photons or any projectile along with the omega plasma torpedo. Even when I put the Omega in the last (rightmost) forward slot, more often than not it will continually override the other torpedo in the first (leftmost) forward slot.
  • icepirakaicepiraka Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    peter1z9 wrote: »
    It makes me sad that torpedoes don't work like energy weapons and fire in sequence. I would LOVE to have both the Romulan Hyper-Plasma and Omega torpedo fire forward together at almost the same time. Unfortunately when I slot them both up front (in whichever position along with a beam), the Omega Torpedo will happily pew pew away while my Hyper-Plasma just sits there because of the shared torpedo cooldown. The only way I can occasionally get the Hyper-Plasma to fire is to either endlessly mash buttons with manual fire or force the Omega to cooldown with a THY.

This sounds like an autofire fail.

You have to pay attention to the firing priorities of the weapons you've configured on autofire. When you set your Romulan and Omega Torpedoes on autofire, you must right-click you Romulan Torpedo (to set it to autofiring) before you right-click your Omega plasma. This establishes firing priority, and lets your Romulan torpedo fire first whenever possible. Otherwise, your Omega will always assume firing priority and will always suppress your Romulan torpedoes.
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    icepiraka wrote: »
    This sounds like an autofire fail.

You have to pay attention to the firing priorities of the weapons you've configured on autofire. When you set your Romulan and Omega Torpedoes on autofire, you must right-click you Romulan Torpedo (to set it to autofiring) before you right-click your Omega plasma. This establishes firing priority, and lets your Romulan torpedo fire first whenever possible. Otherwise, your Omega will always assume firing priority and will always suppress your Romulan torpedoes.

I was trying to follow outdated information that said "Weapons auto-fire in the order they are placed in the Weapons Tray". However, I didn't even consider that the order of right-clicking to enable autofire mattered. I just tested and it really does. Thank you!!!!!! :D
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How about a new boff ability, "Torpedo Salvo" - allows you to fire all facing torps as a group, then sets a long cooldown on all fired launchers. Say maybe 6 to 8 seconds? The ability itself would need a long cooldown, too. It'd be good for those 'finishing strikes' when the other guy's shields are down and you just ... can't ... cycle ... fast ... enough.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to say, I really don't see a problem with how they work. But then again, I run 2 launchers, 1 fore and 1 aft. I go in with THY, fire up front, then 180 and fire my rear. the cooldown is short enough that I get the rear torp on target at about the same time the cooldown ends. Without THY, I could fire an endless stream of quantum torpedos while flying in circles. But that's the balance. You can't sit there and constantly fire 1 torp after another, while keeping all kinds of weapons on target. And i don't have a problem with them gettig in each others way, not only because there's only 1 on each end, but i also don't use the auto-fire bs that most others use. I fire all my phasers with 1 button, but my torps are each on a different button, so i have complete control over which fires, even if they were both forward.