test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Healing Mechanics Review.

pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvP Gameplay
I think one of the things that annoys me the most about PVP is how matches between evenly skilled groups of players will take an hour or more to complete. I think this is due to the healing mechanics in the game, and min-max healboats like the Recluse.

I dont remeber ever watching a space battle on Star Trek that lasted hours. It wouldnt make good tv, and it doesent make a good game. I can think of a few occasions where a ship 'Extended' their shields, or even 'Transfered' their shield strength, but they were quite uncommon, and not used to the extent or magnitude they are in game. - I realize game mechanics are going to be different, but Extend Shields, and Transfer Shield Strength make no sense to me.

If I Extend my shields, I would assume that myself and my target were sharing my shields, but in sto, my target gets more shields, and it has no impact on my own. If I Transfer Shield Strength, I would assume that I would lose some shield strength, but nah. Aux To SIF EVERY 15 Seconds.... I find it a bit silly that I can pull a ship from 10% hull and no shields to full strength with 2 clicks.

Nerf heals.

Shorten Respawn Timers.

Turn PVP into a Fast paced, exciting game, not some war of attrition through boredom. Most of the matches I lose are because I cant be bothered to play one sitting for 90 minutes at a time.

I want more explosions. Ships should blow up like they do on the show the game is based on. Quickly.
Post edited by pulserazor on

Comments

• Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't want insta-vapes, where you don't even have time to react or know what happened. These are massive starships, not fighters.

On the same token, I don't want matches that take years to complete. It's kind of silly how you can have someone on the brink of death (< 5% hull), but then they can go back up to 100% in a matter of a few seconds thanks to massive cross healing.

Perhaps we could look at reducing heals by 50% (just an arbitrary number) when applied to an ally?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What does Cryptic believe a player's TTL should be under focused fire...?
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is a reason normal games don't have arena pvp.If you take 5 healers in arena ofcourse it will take forever one side to win and that's normal.

Anyway who cares ...this game is playable with 1 bind ,most cheese wins 99% of the time ,game engine is not even made to support 50% of the shets in game ,pvp has more npcs than wave 10 no win scenario..its pointless to ask for normality here.
  • Options
    dirtyharib0dirtyharib0 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you want to play match with better pace just all agree to leave fleet shields at home for the game, resists make for a longer, grinds-er match.
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you want to play match with better pace just all agree to leave fleet shields at home for the game, resists make for a longer, grinds-er match.

because we all know with the bleedthrough in game shields are really good. /facepalm
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is a reason normal games don't have arena pvp.If you take 5 healers in arena ofcourse it will take forever one side to win and that's normal.

Anyway who cares ...this game is playable with 1 bind ,most cheese wins 99% of the time ,game engine is not even made to support 50% of the shets in game ,pvp has more npcs than wave 10 no win scenario..its pointless to ask for normality here.

I was saying this weeks ago, got nowt but slated for it.
    However, I still stand by it, 'he with the most cheese wins'.

Its funny when you see trends in this game. Want to know what's broken or OP?
    Just go in the queues and see what's being used the most.

I've always thought that the cross heals just get silly, TSS should become exponentially less effective the further it goes.
    Extend shields should only reach 3km (in the episodes the ship always had to be close).
    Hazard emitters should also drop exponentially over distance.

Could open up some extra play tactics on both sides.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the game is too MMO and not enough trek to ever 'feel right'. and ships spew a wall of energy in game, it was nothing like that in the actual show. the weapons fire was very minimalist, 1 set of cannons firing every 2 seconds, 1 beam fired at a time, it was all about the individual voly. just try to count how many shots you fire in a second in game, its absurd. the healing has to be just as absurd as well, i guess.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What does Cryptic believe a player's TTL should be under focused fire...?

Based on the design from beta to now...anywhere from one second to infinity.

And that would be the same time frame for coming under fire from a single ship as well.

The number of steps involved in arriving at the final outcome of firing a weapon in STO is far beyond and far more variable than in most MMO's. And the range for that outcome to fall into is equally vast.

And that's the way they like it. :D
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Heh, there was this...
    We don't cater to any build - we just want to set up good, basic groundrules for combat that are fair and fun for all. Dying in 3 seconds isn't fun. Dying only after 30 minutes is also not fun. There's a middle ground - we've got to get there. It's really that simple.

So somewhere between 4s and 29m59s. :P