test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

S8- Delay to Make Ground Playable?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
A man can dream.

4 easy fixes to make ground playable.

1-less clutter in the text. none of it is useful or memorable. an easy rule is if its not worth paying someone to voice it over, its not worth trying to make me read it. its never worth reading anyway.

2-remove auto-aim from battlecam mode on ground, and let me shoot the gun like a fps, as in, make it like a trigger.

3-make the AI do something more than herping and derping. you shoudlnt be using the foundry to make levels cuz the foundry is an extremely limited and unprofessional tool. You cant even make bad guys go somewhere.

4-stop making me go places and press f and calling that a season. seriously guys- that's not something you find anywhere else because its a lazy substitute for gameplay. its a time waster.

every game review on the net says ground sucks. you have a shot with s8 to change that and make this game last more than 6 months to a year. you either want this job or you don't, and like any job in games, the QUALITY of the gameplay will keep it alive.

people still play BOTF. why? graphics sucked, but the gameplay is 2nd to none, which is why ST SUPREMACY (botf2) is being developed by fans. that will NEVER happen with thsi game.

All this FANTASTIC art in ground is 100% waste it's essentially lipstick on a pig. gameplay on ground looks good, plays ...well, it doesnt play at all. its all press tab or f and thats it.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I'd add:

- instant use of powers, remove the lag and activation time.

/edit:

- fix the Boff AI at least to the point at which they won't get stuck every 5 metres and move out of patches of fire/plasma on the ground or out of the cone of a Breen weapon charging up...
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Those reviews were from game launch, so they are irrelevant in the wake of soon-to-be 8 seasons.

The rest is merely opinion, not fact (as you seem to be presenting)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'd add:

hell yes. 10000%
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Those reviews were from game launch, so they are irrelevant in the wake of soon-to-be 8 seasons.

The rest is merely opinion, not fact (as you seem to be presenting)

youve read no reviews cuz if u did youd know they address aspects that are still alive in the game.

right off the bat youre letting me know you dont know what youre talking about.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    garside wrote: »
    youve read no reviews cuz if u did youd know they address aspects that are still alive in the game.

right off the bat youre letting me know you dont know what youre talking about.
    As I've said elsewhere, I've been here since Open Beta, so actually I do know what I'm talking about

But you're wrong, because you say ground combat is bad as though it's a fact. It's not; some people like ground combat as it is now, including me. Is it the best? No, but it's not bad either

And I have read the reviews myself. I think they no longer apply because they're just not true anymore ;)

Also, learn to multi-reply: a different post for every reply is a waste of posts
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    4-stop making me go places and press f and calling that a season. seriously guys- that's not something you find anywhere else because its a lazy substitute for gameplay. its a time waster.

Having an action key makes it pretty much like every game ever. Action key events are an easy way to organize event flags so that they can structure missions like actual episodes of the show.

As for those other games and what they do, well . . . .
    QUEST JOURNAL:

-SPOONS AND GOONS

"HELLO, ADVENTURER! MY DAUGHTER IS SICK! BUT I AM MISSING AN INGREDIENT FOR THE HEALING HYPO! PLEASE GO AND DEFEAT 12 CARDASSIAN GLINNS AND BRING ME THEIR FOREHEAD SPOONS!"

REWARDS:

1 GOLD PRESSED LATINUM
    1 PIECE OF IRRELEVANT CLASS SPECIFIC GEAR
    15 MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE WASTED.

. . . I'm not sure it'd work in a Star Trek game.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Season 8 isn't delayed.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    its never worth reading anyway.

I hope that's a joke...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    But Shooter mode was a glorious success and reinvigorated ground?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    DOOOOM its all DOOOMED! :D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can play like a FPS by pressing "B", this enables your sight, you move it around with your mouse and you shoot with right and left click.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I thought we were done with the likes of you. D:

And what the above poster said .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Opinion: Ground combat sucks

Fact: Nothing is wrong with ground combat. It works just fine.

Summary: Because a player cannot seem to get ground combat to work with the build/skills they used and the tactics that choose to use does not make the game at fault.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    2-remove auto-aim from battlecam mode on ground, and let me shoot the gun like a fps, as in, make it like a trigger.

Have you tried pressing B? If you press B on ground, you will go into a FPS-like mode. I'm pretty sure that there's no auto-aim, but its been a while so I'm not sure.

Edit: Wow, looks like I was ninja'd by like an hour. I guess that's what I get for not reading through all the comments before posting.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    LOL. trust me you didn't miss much in the replies.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Opinion: Ground combat sucks

Fact: Nothing is wrong with ground combat. It works just fine.

Summary: Because a player cannot seem to get ground combat to work with the build/skills they used and the tactics that choose to use does not make the game at fault.

That is not a fact it is an opinion.

I would also say ground suffers a fair bit but not for the text or activation button things.

The reasons I generally do not like ground are as follows:
    • Movement is clunky.
    • There is no cover system but the Devs want you to use one anyway.
    • Everything dies in a few shots so there is no need for skills.
    • Skill activation lag lowers your DPS (Killing Power) so much that most skills are better off unused.
    • Kits are poorly set up.
    • Melee is extremely clunky with moving targets, especially without a sword-type weapon.
    • Gun Mode allows you to miss and does not reward sharp aim (ie. Headshots).
    • A number of guns take too long to charge up their secondary fire.
    • We are stuck using one gun from a set even if we do not really want it.
    • The camera in RPG mode behaves strangely in terms of focus Vs. movement making point One worse.
    • Reviving someone usually takes two tries because the first try always self interrupts for some reason.
    • BOFFs will NOT revive each other or you until the battle is over.
    • BOFFs do not understand how to use Pistols and Melee weapons.
    • BOFFs get stuck on things.
    • There are a number of enemies who use holds that essentially prevent you from doing ANYTHING which are unavoidable and that you can do nothing about. That is not fun it is just annoying.
    • Players get way too much warning of incoming effects in PvP allowing them way too much time to run.
    • Self Healing items have too long of a cooldown and too little effect considering that it only takes a few shots to erase the heal they just delivered.
    • Shields and Health on the ground are too slim for BOTH NPC's and Players.

I could probably go on... but I will leave it there for now.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    BOFFs will NOT revive each other or you until the battle is over.

I disagree - if you hit "Call for help" next to respawn button, they do come revive you.. takes some time at times, but it works.

Generally, ground feels way too simple, compared to space, which seems much more catchy, enjoyable and slightly more challenging. I personally wouldn't mind the FPS approach someone mentioned here, as long as it'd not eliminate good ol' melee, which I personally find amusing and do it all the time, just for the kicks. (pun intended) :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I disagree - if you hit "Call for help" next to respawn button, they do come revive you.. takes some time at times, but it works.

Generally, ground feels way too simple, compared to space, which seems much more catchy, enjoyable and slightly more challenging. I personally wouldn't mind the FPS approach someone mentioned here, as long as it'd not eliminate good ol' melee, which I personally find amusing and do it all the time, just for the kicks. (pun intended) :D

He was saying BOFFs reviving other BOFFS, not BOFFS reviving the player.

But yes, Ground does need more improvement. But compared to the original STO Ground combat, it's far superior. But it's not yet at a level where you would call fun, like with TOR.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    As I've said elsewhere, I've been here since Open Beta, so actually I do know what I'm talking about

But you're wrong, because you say ground combat is bad as though it's a fact. It's not; some people like ground combat as it is now, including me. Is it the best? No, but it's not bad either

And I have read the reviews myself. I think they no longer apply because they're just not true anymore ;)

Also, learn to multi-reply: a different post for every reply is a waste of posts

just cause you've been here since beta (like I have been) doesn't mean you have read reviews, or know what you are talking about.. stating you have been here since the get go gets you no traction on knowing what your talking about..

that being said, the reviews for this game have gotten better since launch.. however, ground combat is "still" a point that gets harped on in most of the more "recent" reviews I have read..

being that I have been here since launch, ground combat has sucked since day one, and continues to suck going into the games 4th year.... giving ground combat an over the shoulder view didn't make it anybetter..

on to the ops post.. I fully agree with point number 4, the others are kinda opinion generated.. some people like the kibble in the story text.. but having me beam down, and press f five times is not content..

getting back to ground combat, I have been associated in multiple guilds, and while trying to put runs together with my guild, ground was a very very rare thing to happen, as pretty much everyone avoids it.. the controls are sluggish (ie, when I hit to use a hypo, its kind of like the game decides weather or not it wants to do it in a timely manner.).. Ill hit abilities, and they take forever to do their thing.. infact, when I am forced to do ground, I generally ignore all of my abilities, and just use my weapons abilities soley,
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Regardless of your opinion of ground combat "Let's delay a giant chunk of new content that's already pretty much complete so we can toy with ground mechanics for another six months to a year" is probably not a very attainable dream.
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Shooter mode NEEDS more love. If they made it like how it works in Neverwinter, where the targetting reticle snaps to the target, it would actually be pretty fun. I play exclusively in Shooter Mode, and I'd say it needs a bit of love.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Regardless of your opinion of ground combat "Let's delay a giant chunk of new content that's already pretty much complete so we can toy with ground mechanics for another six months to a year" is probably not a very attainable dream.

True.

But it's more reasonable to say that they should delay launch until they get rid of the bugs that testers reported, than launch with them and even years later, still yet to fix them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    True.

But it's more reasonable to say that they should delay launch until they get rid of the bugs that testers reported, than launch with them and even years later, still yet to fix them. :rolleyes:

the answer isn't to stop content, its time for cryptic/pwe to either invest in the future of this game (spend some money and hire another 50/60 peeps (at least 15-20 of those being game maintenance/bug crushers). or just come clean and say you cant afford them, and that we should get used to bugs and what not (not that we already are not used to them, they have been a part of everyones daily life in sto since launch. I honestly cannot think of a time when this game was fairly bug free)..

true story, lets look at the picture here

the sto team is not only small, it is pathetically small.

then you mix in more than a normal amount of bugs for "any" kind of content being released..

then, you look at the fact that they fix bugs much slower than they make content..

the end result is the pile of sh*t keeps getting bigger and bigger.. every single time they release something, they increase the number of shovels they need to get rid of the pile, but they don't do it..

that being said, they do fix bugs, im not trying to say they don't fix anything, but they don't keep up with the ever growing list.. not saying I don't like Brandon.. but pwe should have sent code monkeys to cryptic not a community rep.. lol..
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    He was saying BOFFs reviving other BOFFS, not BOFFS reviving the player.

But yes, Ground does need more improvement. But compared to the original STO Ground combat, it's far superior. But it's not yet at a level where you would call fun, like with TOR.

Umm... I did my homework and did read his post.. quoting exactly the part again, with emphasis on the part you apparently missed.
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    • BOFFs will NOT revive each other or you until the battle is over.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Umm... I did my homework and did read his post.. quoting exactly the part again, with emphasis on the part you apparently missed.

if they revive you or not.. the point is, the system is not working well.. yes, sometimes when I click help, they are johnny on the spot.. other times they seem to ignore me..

to go into more detail.. I have had fights where the boffs ignore me because they are in combat.. (this is ok, cause id rather have them survive and finish the fight them wipe the whole thing..

other times, they will dive into aoe (usually that killed me lol) and die trying to rez me..

and still more other times lol, ill finish the fight but have a dot that kills me, and they all stand there and pick their noses.. even though ive asked for help, and they are not in combat..

the system is a little like swiss cheese.. full of holes...

so you are both right and wrong.. yes, they do help some peeps, and not others.. depends on the fight. depends on your luck...
  • Options
    edited November 2013

And he was wrong that you do get revived by BOFFs during battle. But they will revive other BOFFs during a battle as long as they aren't attacked.

puttenham wrote: »
    the answer isn't to stop content, its time for cryptic/pwe to either invest in the future of this game (spend some money and hire another 50/60 peeps (at least 15-20 of those being game maintenance/bug crushers). or just come clean and say you cant afford them, and that we should get used to bugs and what not (not that we already are not used to them, they have been a part of everyones daily life in sto since launch. I honestly cannot think of a time when this game was fairly bug free)..

true story, lets look at the picture here

the sto team is not only small, it is pathetically small.

then you mix in more than a normal amount of bugs for "any" kind of content being released..

then, you look at the fact that they fix bugs much slower than they make content..

the end result is the pile of sh*t keeps getting bigger and bigger.. every single time they release something, they increase the number of shovels they need to get rid of the pile, but they don't do it..

that being said, they do fix bugs, im not trying to say they don't fix anything, but they don't keep up with the ever growing list.. not saying I don't like Brandon.. but pwe should have sent code monkeys to cryptic not a community rep.. lol..

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Ever since they got bought by PWI, they been nothing but bragging how their team is larger and they can do more content. Where in the Atari days they were putting out content and actually fixing those bugs with less than 30 people. Don't this is a bunch of baloney that you are trying to say on their behalf.

And unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, people been practically been begging Cryptic to fix bugs! Mine Trap, the Fleet Events, fleet content bugs, tons of bugs on the KDF Side. So we are to still pretend to look the other way when they add more bugs? That's not how you run a business.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A man can dream.

1-less clutter in the text. none of it is useful or memorable. an easy rule is if its not worth paying someone to voice it over, its not worth trying to make me read it. its never worth reading anyway.

3-make the AI do something more than herping and derping. you shoudlnt be using the foundry to make levels cuz the foundry is an extremely limited and unprofessional tool. You cant even make bad guys go somewhere.

1. The vast majority of the new missions are short and to the point when it comes to text.
    2. If you don't like RPG mode, consider pressing the B key to use shooter mode. Shooter is quite viable in PvE, commands on the hotbar can be reached via ingame keybinds.
    3. The AI could use some improvement, but it could be worse.
    4. Again, many of the new missions are more than just spamming the F key. The game uses F for interactions in many areas, but after using F the contact requires player input.
    I'd add:

hell yes. 10000%

That "lag" is an integral piece of balance in the ground game. Every action in ground combat takes a certain amount of time to execute, which is realistic to the real world. Such mechanics also exist in other games, every action takes a set amount of time to execute, without such timers the balance would be a disaster. Here's a hint, don't use
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    And he was wrong that you do get revived by BOFFs during battle. But they will revive other BOFFs during a battle as long as they aren't attacked.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Ever since they got bought by PWI, they been nothing but bragging how their team is larger and they can do more content. Where in the Atari days they were putting out content and actually fixing those bugs with less than 30 people. Don't this is a bunch of baloney that you are trying to say on their behalf.

And unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, people been practically been begging Cryptic to fix bugs! Mine Trap, the Fleet Events, fleet content bugs, tons of bugs on the KDF Side. So we are to still pretend to look the other way when they add more bugs? That's not how you run a business.

ummm the point I was putting across is that there is no excuse.. that 4 years into the game, they need to sh*t or get off the pot..

I was in no way defending them.. (and here I was afraid that peeps were gonna flame me for calling doom or something lol)...

yeah, I was agreeing with you, and adding to it.. no excuse for the lack of bug fixes, and the slow content roll outs.. (sure, we get updates more often than other games.. but the amount and quality of content is much much lower than other games.. )..

oh azure, your so silly, I love it.. hahaha..
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A man can dream.

Hmm. So you don't want any of that boring old story and levelling up nonssense, you just want to run the pew pew stuff 400 times a day? That's fine. Go ahead and do that then. What you seem to want from this game is already in it.
    Bottom lime is that many many people enjoy the story aspect of this game - you know, the reading part - and heck, some folks even make their own entire missions with...
    :O NO COMBAT! JUST A BUNCH OF TEXT! :O

I don't have much to say on this other than that I am not unhappy with the way ground works, even if there are other games that do it better.

It's not really that much different in space and at least the NPCs on the ground seem to use all of their abilities to try to kill you.

That whole statement is simply not true. It's actually everywhere in any puzzle type adventure game.

every game review on the net says ground sucks. you have a shot with s8 to change that and make this game last more than 6 months to a year. you either want this job or you don't, and like any job in games, the QUALITY of the gameplay will keep it alive.

'The Net' and its reviews is trying to compare STO ground to things like GTA and CoD. Different type of game, frankly.

people still play BOTF. why? graphics sucked, but the gameplay is 2nd to none, which is why ST SUPREMACY (botf2) is being developed by fans. that will NEVER happen with thsi game.

When was the last patch for Supremacy released?

All this FANTASTIC art in ground is 100% waste it's essentially lipstick on a pig. gameplay on ground looks good, plays ...well, it doesnt play at all. its all press tab or f and thats it.

I don't press tab, I use RPG mode and click my targets manually and use the 'F2-F5' keys to select friendlies. As for pressing 'F', well, would you be happier if the key we pressed to interact with stuff was 'G' or 'B'? Or is it the interavtion itself that bugs you? If you want raw ground pew pew, there are games like that. STO is not, and never should be, one of them.

I'd add:

/edit:

- fix the Boff AI at least to the point at which they won't get stuck every 5 metres and move out of patches of fire/plasma on the ground or out of the cone of a Breen weapon charging up...

I'm sure that nonsense was implemented with LoR or a prior/subsequent patch. I seem to remember that ground power activation wasn't always like that.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To the OP, i am a fan of ground, and the information that is important some times, you know the text. These things not only tell me what i am doing and why, but how and where.

While i think the delay should be removed, at least on hypos, and shield charges, cause by te time its necessary to use one to make it worth using, you are very low before you hit the button, hit the button USE THE ITEM, and die. Romving the item and putting it on a CD.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]