test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So sphere of Influence is lifted wholesale from Stargate Universe?

Comments

• Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    An alien transport system computer that uses 6 spacial coordinates for targeting.
    I don't think the six sets of spacial coordinates in the computer were for targeting a single destination.

When you get to the giant "hub" room, there are six planets under observation - Earth, Qo'noS, New Romulus, Iconia, and those planets in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants I'm too lazy to look up the names of right now.

The six sets of coordinates in the computer most likely referred to these six planets, as they were the ones under active observation.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    Lets see...

references to a gate network in another galaxy.

One of the resonance numbers is 38

An alien transport system computer that uses 6 spacial coordinates for targeting.

A gate that sends you to an alien base and ship.

A supergate the bad guys invade from.

A giant holographic starchart. (totally looks like this)

Nawwww this isn't Stargate... :D

And the Obelisk mirrors the Ori design style. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    stonefyrestonefyre Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The first thing I thought of when I read about the Obelisk Swarmers were Squid Drones
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I thought the displays showing the various worlds around the galaxy reminded me of the holographic viewscreen systems onboard the Minbari ships from Babylon 5.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    geeze people wth is wrong with you , you get a cool FE and what do you do compare it to something else.

Is that all you have to do in life? its not stargate never will be get over it just enjoy the FE as i did.

if you cant then i suggest you stop playing and give all your stuffs to me :D
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What about Stargate DS-9.OOps I meant Atlantis. Or Stargate Voyager OOPs Universe.
    As for Trek, using Gateways was pointed out for several episodes by other posters.
    The argument this game stole from the Stargate IP is invalid.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Well, what do you expect when we get content like Lightsaber Bat'leths and Lirpa's handed out by a Ferengi Yoda? ;) It's kind of obvious what the influences are.

The nanopulse weapons were clear homages to Star Wars, and TOR in particular at the time.

What some people have been going on about in the forums is closer to accusing Cryptic of ripping off another story, which I don't think is very fair at all.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I don't think it's fair/accurate to say it's a direct ripoff of SGU either. Just pointing out that some references are kind of blatant. ;)

To me, the only unquestionable reference was the layout of the "gate room" in that one Romulan mission.

The rest are similarities, most of which are found throughout science fiction, while Stargate is perhaps the most recent example of the ideas being used regularly.

I was actually kind of bothered that Sphere of Influence went out of its way to describe how unlike Stargate the Iconian gates are..."you don't need an exit gate," etc.

TL;DR

If it's all in good fun, I have no issue with the conversation. If it's a borderline accusation of plagiarism, I think that's pretty dumb.
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    To me, the only unquestionable reference was the layout of the "gate room" in that one Romulan mission.

The rest are similarities, most of which are found throughout science fiction, while Stargate is perhaps the most recent example of the ideas being used regularly.

I was actually kind of bothered that Sphere of Influence went out of its way to describe how unlike Stargate the Iconian gates are..."you don't need an exit gate," etc.

TL;DR

If it's all in good fun, I have no issue with the conversation. If it's a borderline accusation of plagiarism, I think that's pretty dumb.

Trust me.... The Egyptians are a bit miffed at Stargate themselves ;)

I'm looking forward to the FE "So long and thanks for all the fish" where there's a crazy bunch of hobo's telling me about the Galactic Highway passing right through my starbase :)
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That is the thing with Sci-Fi. They tend to mix use ideas across all franchises.

Think about how many Sci-Fi series have used the "going back in time" cliche, or the parallel universe idea....

I don't mind, this is probably the closest I will get to a true Stargate mmo, so I am not all that bothered. :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Exactly. You were wrong when you said

Stargates weren't limited to planets. There were several episodes where the gates were removed from planets and used.

Another example is when Samantha Carter took a gate into outer space, dialed a black hole, and dropped in into a sun to cause a super nova

Canon was never set in stone on that show. Canon constantly changed to meet the needs of the storyline.

Name one example that took place BEFORE the disaster that is SGU. Noting that it must not be a change from the movie to SG-1.
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    What about Stargate DS-9.OOps I meant Atlantis. Or Stargate Voyager OOPs Universe.
    As for Trek, using Gateways was pointed out for several episodes by other posters.

Did anybody actually say the game stole from Stargate? Honest question here, my memory's a bit tricky sometimes. :o
    sunfrancks wrote:
    I don't mind, this is probably the closets I will get to a true Stargate mmo, so I am not all that bothered. :D

Yeah, I wish SGW ended up being like an F2P SWG... :(

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    TNG came out in '86 and the iconians were referenced numerous times before Stargate even existed. Stargate movie = '94 and the TV series SG1 started in '97.

I am not quite sure how use of TNG lore can be a rip-off from something that came later . . . by that method of thinking I COULD turn around and try to argue that Stargate was a lift from Iconian lore TNG . . . but i will not . . . because frankly both SCI FI universes, while holding a lot of similarities in that area, are bloody awesome :)

EDIT: I wanted to add . . . if you think about human psychology on a contextual level, the sci-fi universe is all inspired by human imagination. We all get inspired by the ideas of others, and we develop our own ideas as a result of our experiences with the ideas of others. These ships do not exist in real life. It's all part of the imaginations we have all shared as a species on this very small planet in a very huge universe. So it should be absolutely no surprise to see such similarities across the shows we love and watch and follow so dearly. We should not get too carried away if something is similar to another thing in a different sci-fi universe and then start pointing fingers as if artist "A" is "ripping off" from artist "B". Perhaps some iconian inspiration went into Stargate . . . if so . . . cool . . . we all get inspiration from somewhere and from artists that came before us in life :)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »

Who said anything about stealing from them? Deliberate homage, maybe. Besides, Stargate has gone the other direction more than once (the entire first season of SG-1 felt like Star Trek IN THE US AIR FORCE!).

I always find works referencing other works quite cool. In fact, I myself may have been the first person to notice a more subtle Stargate SG-1 reference in Mass Effect 3: Leviathan.

It's what artists do: we build on what has come before.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Who said anything about stealing from them? Deliberate homage, maybe. Besides, Stargate has gone the other direction more than once (the entire first season of SG-1 felt like Star Trek IN THE US AIR FORCE!).

I always find works referencing other works quite cool. In fact, I myself may have been the first person to notice a more subtle Stargate SG-1 reference in Mass Effect 3: Leviathan.

It's what artists do: we build on what has come before.

Exactly. I agree fully with this. I was hoping my reply before wouldn't feel aimed at the OP, but instead aimed at some of the replies I saw that started getting a bit carried away in the argument.

I get jittery and excited when i see references between shows paying homage. MMO references are the same way with me. :)
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is that Ferasan deliberately only two letters from being a cat called....Nyan?
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Exactly. You were wrong when you said

Stargates weren't limited to planets. There were several episodes where the gates were removed from planets and used.

Another example is when Samantha Carter took a gate into outer space, dialed a black hole, and dropped in into a sun to cause a super nova

Canon was never set in stone on that show. Canon constantly changed to meet the needs of the storyline.

You are rather wrong a gate wouldn't work if is not close to a planet. In the episode "Exodus", a Stargate was used as a weapon capable of destroying an entire solar system. The gate was dialed into a planet in close proximity to a black hole. The gate (protected by a force field) was then sent into a star. The resulting loss of mass caused the sun to go supernova, destroying the solar system and Apophis's fleet, which was orbiting the star at that time.

Without the planet the gate wouldn't have worked. Go and rewatch all of them again. All the episode that have gate in space had some sort of planet next to it.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Destiny had a gate in SGU.
    And in other for the gate to work it's was always close to a planet.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Name one example that took place BEFORE the disaster that is SGU. Noting that it must not be a change from the movie to SG-1.

There was a few instances of Stargates in space with Atlantis. There is a reason why their ships are called Puddle Jumpers.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »

That is how Iconian gateways worked from the show, long before stargate was ever invented. They dont need an endgate.

They were not going out of their way to distance themselves from Stargate. They were explaining how they work for people who dont know/cant remember/did not watch.
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the only issue with gates and planets is that if you have two gates near the same planet/point, only one is dialable. It might take some after-market tinkering, but you can dial a gate pretty much anywhere. Don't forget that they built an entire bridge between galaxies using gates stolen from planets and strung in a line between them.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    You are rather wrong a gate wouldn't work if is not close to a planet. In the episode "Exodus", a Stargate was used as a weapon capable of destroying an entire solar system. The gate was dialed into a planet in close proximity to a black hole. The gate (protected by a force field) was then sent into a star. The resulting loss of mass caused the sun to go supernova, destroying the solar system and Apophis's fleet, which was orbiting the star at that time.

Without the planet the gate wouldn't have worked. Go and rewatch all of them again. All the episode that have gate in space had some sort of planet next to it.

Tell that to the McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge, which consists of an entire GROUP of Stargates in deep space.

Furthermore, the reason why Stargates typically appear at or in orbit of a planet is the fact that their very purpose is to facilitate interplanetary travel. There simply was no point in putting them in deep space until the abovementioned instance.
    And in other for the gate to work it's was always close to a planet.

The Destiny Stargate was of lower quality and lacked range. However, I'm fairly sure Destiny's Stargate had a range well above 2 light years, which is FAR from the planets it was dialing.

Also, may I note that Atlantis once dialed the ZPM-powered Wraith Hive while it was in the intergalactic void?
    starkaos wrote: »
    There was a few instances of Stargates in space with Atlantis. There is a reason why their ships are called Puddle Jumpers.

First of all, I am quite aware of that.

Second, even if I were talking about that and not the "canon constantly changed to meet the needs of the storyline" statement, the argument is that gates only work in proximity to planets.

• Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    spoiler/

I believe we active all the gates I remember one or two times SGC did this too.

/spoiler

Well... yes and no.

The network is brought back online and is no longer hidden.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    darthwoo wrote: »
    I think the only issue with gates and planets is that if you have two gates near the same planet/point, only one is dialable. It might take some after-market tinkering, but you can dial a gate pretty much anywhere. Don't forget that they built an entire bridge between galaxies using gates stolen from planets and strung in a line between them.

^^

Precisely.

How much do you want to bet he's still going to find some loophole and abuse it to further his argument?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I guess he thinks that they actually moved entire planets from their solar systems and lined them up between the two galaxies. :P

Actually, having read some of the posts, I think he believes the Ori somehow made it possible. :confused:

Edit: Yes, just reread it.

The reason why Apophis' Ha'tak could only be dialed while it was near a planet was the fact that it was in hyperspace after SG-1 boarded it, and by the time it dropped out of hyperspace, it was in the same solar system as Earth.

HOWEVER, while it (presumably - its DHD may have allowed dominance) could not receive an incoming wormhole while orbiting Earth, as the original gate takes precedence, it could establish an outgoing connection, saving Daniel's life.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Destiny was rarely close to a planet. The automated seed ships that were sent out ahead of Destiny were the ones that regularly went close to the planets. When they dropped Destiny out of hyperspace in deep space they were checking to see if the ship was in range of any gates put on "earthlike" planets in different solar systems

I give up, because this forum is for startrek not stargate. Tell me how close was destiny when it drop out of hyperspace before it's start to check whether the planet get works.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Except fo the time Atlantis in concert witht he SGC picked up a bunch of gates from various planets and daisy chained them between Pegasus and the Milky way to make the Gate bridge.

So, yeah, planet not needed.

yeah -> see "South Park" - Episode : "The Simpsons already did it"

btw : Carrier kind of reminds me of "Hallowed are the Ori"

Glad I'm not the only one. Whenever I warp into a system on my Eng(The one currently in an Obelisk) the first thing I say is "Hallowed are the Ori." shortly before laying into the nonbelievers.

:D