test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feeling incredibly stuck regarding Endgame/personal issues

mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Member Posts: 128 Arc User
Ordinarily I'm not willing to be quite so... blunt... about my personal issues and how they affect my gaming; but I'm going to do so here because I think it's important.

I've been playing STO since closed beta. I have a lifetime sub and, while I've taken long breaks at times, I always come back because I do enjoy the game - of late I particularly feel it's improving in a direction I want it to go by and large. Sphere of Influence was a great episode and the Romulan faction is imo, outstanding.

There's just one thing... The hefty emphasis on Fleet stuff in order to advance past a certain point. If I want a top-of-the-line ship, I need a fleet large enough to handle the holdings and projects. At present, my current fleet is not able to do that - we've got 2 active members, and at the best of times, 6. Even if we all grind like crazy it'd take us forever to get our holdings up to snuff; and that'd leave precious little resources for us as individuals.

"So just join a bigger fleet?" you might be thinking. Two problems with that:

1) I like my fleet - they're good folks even if they aren't on a lot or particularly hardcore when they are on. I'd feel like a jerk just leaving them so I can advance in game.

2) More importantly, I have some IRL psychological issues regarding dealing with people, and I've got dysthymia*. I won't go into the long version, but the short version is, joining a new fleet is ridiculously stressful for me. I constantly feel on my guard around everyone and even if everyone's pretty nice I have a hard time settling in and feeling at home. It doesn't help that people online can shoot their mouths off and say some pretty horrible things without thinking about it. Even if no one does that though I feel like I'm always looking for an excuse to leave; which is stupid.

It's part of why I've gravitated toward Cryptic's games over the years; because they generally let me just solo to my hearts' content. But with the fleet holding stuff, I can't even grind to advance on my own like I can with say... Omega Marks. Not unless I want to dump absolutely everything I get into my current fleet and (years from now) still not be done.

In short I feel stuck. I feel like one of the few games that catered to me in some respect has moved on to be something other than what it was when I started - in some ways thats good but in other ways it's left me behind.

Really though, even ignoring Fleet grade ships; the thing that's really brought my frustration with this situation to a head is the Elite hangar pets. I'm... particular about which hangar pets I use - I like to fit ones that feel appropriate to a given character (I almost always fly carriers, it's just a thing for me) so while I could grind Romulan rep and just get Elite Scorpions... that leaves me missing out on a lot of the pets I *want* elite versions of.

For instance, I've got a Klingon character I just got to 50 recently, she's flying around in a Kar'Fi battlecarrier and I've really fallen in love with the Fer'jai (sp?) frigates that thing can launch - understandably I want the Elite version... but I can't have it because of all the above; even if I do the work to acquire the resources necessary to do so.

So I'm stuck and it's quite frustrating and I'm not even sure what the solution is.

---

*It's a type of cyclic depression that comes and goes over time; very disruptive and can make it difficult for me to join a group consistently as there may be months I just don't log in or times when I'm feeling like I don't want to talk to anyone at all and just turn off all my channels. Not exactly a good way to make a good impression on a new fleet ya know?

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
Post edited by mistformsquirrel on

Comments

• howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I understand what you are saying I really do, but that is the life of almost every MMO out there and STO is no different. in other games you have to be part of a guild to get the best gear out there STO its in a fleet. but like other games there are ways around it just have to look for the ways.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You are welcome to come join my fleet if you want, we are currently working on Tier 5 SB, we have Tier 3 dil mine, and our Embassy is almost complete. In fact we have had to start another fleet to give players a place to go to acquire Fleet Credits because the projects on our main fleet get finished so quickly many of them don't get a chance to donate and are left without any credits to shop at fleet vendors with.

We are known as the Apocalyptic Fleet and like I said just message me in game and I will invite any of your characters, you can even make a new character and come see what we are all about before joining with any of your mains.
  • mll623mll623 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Try a channel like NoPublicService (I think that is the name). You can get tier 5 base invites. This allows you to spend your fleet's provisions (earned at tier 1 for example) on tier 5 gear. You use your fleet credits, your provisions and your dilithium, but can get tier 5 fleet gear without being in a tier 5 fleet. You do NOT need to leave your fleet to use this.

If you want something from tier 1 or 2, throw me a line in game and I will send you an invite. The fleet I am in isn't that far along yet but I am more then willing to help someone in need.
  • zebramaniiizebramaniii Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not counting ships, you can get almost any fleet item at elite level by using your own provisions at someone else's starbase/embassy/mine. All you need to do if you are a small fleet is get your holdings to a point where you have a few provisions for each type of item you wish to purchase and then you can get invited to another fleets holdings and you can use your own fleets provisions there. The "NoP Public Service" channel is a place where you can request free invites to fleet holdings to purchase high-end equipment.

By doing this, you can purchase the best fleet equipment without the need to fully level your own holdings.

Now if you want ships, you either have to level your own shipyard or you will need to join a fleet that has the relevant shipyard tier unlocked. Most fleets will probably not invite you for ships as it costs them provisions but some fleets do sell access and I have seen access going from around 5 million ec all the way up to 20 million ec. On a rare occasion you may find a fleet that will let you in for free to purchase one but that does not happen often.
    ***Sausages for All***
    Federation - Mirel II, Tala Lyleh sh'Ezlem, Vro'kul, Jahrel, Giweatu, Jhrol th'Ezlem, Katariina Rebane, Eleftheria Palaiologou, Surel, Saimon, TheEfficientSaurian
    KDF -Mirel I, Anirez Norai, Talash
    Romulans - T'Lara, Makath 'The Needle' Ayailat, Mirel III
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mll623 wrote: »
    Try a channel like NoPublicService (I think that is the name). You can get tier 5 base invites. This allows you to spend your fleet's provisions (earned at tier 1 for example) on tier 5 gear. You use your fleet credits, your provisions and your dilithium, but can get tier 5 fleet gear without being in a tier 5 fleet. You do NOT need to leave your fleet to use this.

If you want something from tier 1 or 2, throw me a line in game and I will send you an invite. The fleet I am in isn't that far along yet but I am more then willing to help someone in need.

Close! It's NoP Public Service. Just join that channel and you can get anything you want from any fleet holdings. People can get everything they need from there. They aren't doing fleet ships just yet, but I've been hearing rumblings around that maybe soon...

And no, you and your friends won't have to leave your fleet. Just join that channel, ask for an invite, get stuff. The only thing you and your friends have to do is have the resources on hand to buy the items from their stores and the provisions from your fleet.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mll623 wrote: »

Yep, that channel will get you fixed right up as long as your fleet has provisions - so you can stay in your own fleet and get access to the top-level gear.
  • mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was unaware you could do that <o.O> Well that may solve some problems. I can live without the fleet ships themselves; its' mostly the other stuff that concerns me (the weapons and most especially hangar pets)

Thank you very much for that information.

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It is also possible, in regards to ships, to get a fleet ship from a higher tier fleet. Currently, you would temporarily have to leave your fleet... join theirs... buy the ship... and then you can leave the host fleet, and rejoin yours.

Many fleet charge for this service. (Since you are now using the host fleets provisions).

If you, or anyone, would like... I am happy to invite to my fleet (bear in mind that I have only a T4 shipyard), for a cost of 40,000 Dilithium (or equivalent (depending on needs at the time (i.e. maybe fleet marks, may be doffs, etc)). The 40,000 dilithium is 1/5th of the cost of the basic ship provision dilithium only project that provisions 5 fleet ship provisions. You will need to have the required credits (the donation above would earn you enough for a fleet ship anyway (iirc)), and ship modules with you.

In short, I am not looking to make millions off anyone, in fact I really don't want you to give ME anything, rather donate to the project we'll have open (my goal is to continue to advance our fleet). However, I also don't want the fleet members who have really done a great job advancing our infrastructure to feel they are losing out. Once the donations are complete, you'll be given the access you need to get the ship of your choice, again we have a T4 shipyard... so no T5 ships would be available from my fleet). After which, you can leave and rejoin your existing fleet.

There may, in the near future, be fleets that will offer complete free access... I'll let them speak for themselves.

Of course I will need to be online... you can PM me @johnny111971

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was unaware you could do that <o.O> Well that may solve some problems. I can live without the fleet ships themselves; its' mostly the other stuff that concerns me (the weapons and most especially hangar pets)

Thank you very much for that information.

That won't be an issue then. I see people getting elite weapons and gear on that channel every day. I myself have gotten Yellowstone elite hangar pets for my Vesta and my own fleet is only T2.

Just remember that the main rule on that channel is no buying or selling of any kind. Don't offer to pay for anything. Everything on that channel has to be free, so just ask for an invite and maybe list the item you are looking to buy.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • allen78j20stoallen78j20sto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can relate to the OP. I have been in the game for a few years now. The grind for the casual player is tough to rep up and get the gear fleet or rep, and I am by no means an expert on how to maximize my time to get what I need vs having fun. I like my fleet but sometimes I don't queue up with them because I'm not running that latest and greatest and I will slow them down and my dps is laughable but it's a work in progress. For my playstyle pve is great and it's been proven you can do great with non rep non fleet gear. I've ran episode gear and non purple gear in stfs both space and ground all this time and can keep up. It's really only annoying for those who have the latest gear to queue up with us that don't because we hold em back some and I get that.

Maybe we should make a channel for that.

Just keep rolling on and do the best you can when you can. There are many of us that are in the same boat.
  • maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Welcome back Mist,

I remember your ground thread way back around the PWE transition, I really enjoyed that thread and I think it's stickied somewhere in the archive. I'm sorry to hear your feeling stuck. When I encountered this issue, I choose to follow the GW2 Solution: Be part of more then one Fleet.

Yes there are some problems with this method. But over all I have found it to be very successful. The fact is progression is important, and you need a decent sized fleet to achieve it. It doesn't have to be a huge fleet, Star Fleet MACO/KDF honor guard, isn't massive but we have completed T5 Fed side, and are hard at work on KDF.

The other advantage of being part of two fleets is you have twice as many folks to make groups with. Now it sounds like that might not be any real use to you. But give it some thought.

Best of luck Mist.
    PM me if I can be of assistance.