test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So sphere of Influence is lifted wholesale from Stargate Universe?

conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
Basically:

Icarus base is working to unlock the ninth chevron on the stargates. During the testing there are scientists, politicians, a few military, a genius kid, and a scientist with a questionable agenda. While they are all there the base is attacked and they are forced to "dial out" on the stargate using the ninth chevron, they escape through it not knowing where it goes. They arrive on the ancient ship "Destiny" in another galaxy.

I haven't finished Sphere yet, but it seems pretty similar.
Post edited by conundrumnsa on

Comments

• fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spoiler/

I believe we active all the gates I remember one or two times SGC did this too.

/spoiler
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • ari3sholeari3shole Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Agreed as i played it has crossed my mind Stargate :D
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So far, I've heard Star Wars, Star Gate, Alien, Close Encounters, Mass Effect, Prometheus, and in one inexplicable instance, Judge Dredd (???).

It could just be that sci-fi is genre fiction and it's all kind of the same if you turn your head and squint, or maybe there's some deliberate homages in there.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Basically:

Icarus base is working to unlock the ninth chevron on the stargates. During the testing there are scientists, politicians, a few military, a genius kid, and a scientist with a questionable agenda. While they are all there the base is attacked and they are forced to "dial out" on the stargate using the ninth chevron, they escape through it not knowing where it goes. They arrive on the ancient ship "Destiny" in another galaxy.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of sci-fi stories about portals before Stargate.

I seriously doubt there is anything that originates in any Stargate series just as there are almost no science fiction concepts which actually originate in Star Trek either. By and large, Trek and 'Gate are both properties where the originality comes in what sci-fi elements you remix from other franchises and more importantly, the personal character arcs and philosophical/political/inspirational ideas.

The Iconian portal concept predates Stargate. From there, when you have portals, there are certain kinds of stories yopu tell with them. People forced to use them. Heck, in "Contagion", Picard was forced to use an Iconian gateway to escape an exploding room. This episode was created years before Stargate in any form was released.

The Iconians were created by comic book and science fiction writer Steve Gerber. Gerber's best known works were probably his creation of Howard the Duck (the comic version) and Man Thing, two series about interdimensional portals, and the first ever narrative comic book miniseries using all new material from an American Publisher, SUPERMAN: THE PHANTOM ZONE, which detailed the origins of the interdimensional portal/projector-accessed prison where Superman's enemies such as General Zod were kept. (Probably the first mature readers story with Superman in it as well.)

Gerber was also a story editor on the 80s Transformers (which had a star gate type transit system ten years before Stargate).
  • schreader1718schreader1718 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So far, I've heard Star Wars, Star Gate, Alien, Close Encounters, Mass Effect, Prometheus, and in one inexplicable instance, Judge Dredd (???).

It could just be that sci-fi is genre fiction and it's all kind of the same if you turn your head and squint, or maybe there's some deliberate homages in there.

QFT!

Look, there is a variant of Godwin's Law for sci-fi: the longer a particular sub-genre goes on, the probability of seeing elements from other sub-genres in the particular series approaches one. Star Trek is approaching 50 years. I'd be completely surprised to see only new, hitherto unseen, unheard or unread story ideas at this point.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Incidentally, I think the visual designs evoke Stargate, Mass Effect, and Halo.

There is a look Trek Iconian gates have. It's like a stand-up mirror:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Iconian_gateway

Visually, they totally made Iconian Gateways look a LOT more like Stargate in STO.

But, really, I'm not convinced of any deliberate or blatant story influence. I think most of the influence from specific and modern sci-fi like Stargate is in the art.

The art itself resembles Stargate. The story? Eh. It resembles old Trek episodes and sci-fi a LOT older than Mass Effect or Stargate.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Basically:

You missed the part where both gates are powered by geothermal energy and that activating them caused instability in the planet. In the case of Universe, the planet was destroyed. Something about naturally occurring naquadria in the mantle, if I remember right.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You missed the part where both gates are powered by geothermal energy and that activating them caused instability in the planet. In the case of Universe, the planet was destroyed. Something about naturally occurring naquadria in the mantle, if I remember right.

Actually, the stargate in Universe was powered by the Naquadria, not geothermal. They specifically needed a planet with Naquadria being nearly as common as dirt just to get enough power to dial all the way to Destiny.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Evacuation, all I could think about is Stargate Universe's Pilot. The rest, not so much.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Actually, the stargate in Universe was powered by the Naquadria, not geothermal. They specifically needed a planet with Naquadria being nearly as common as dirt just to get enough power to dial all the way to Destiny.

That's right.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why do I get the feels that the Iconians are been represented like the Ori's and the preservers much like Alterans (aka Ancient). It's true that, the whole begain felt like stargate universe.

@stoleviathan99; considering iconians gates don't need another gate before it work, but these felt like it did. You have to remember that stargate sg1 gates where only limited to planet till the Ori's pop up in our side of the galaxy. Same thing can be said for the inconians gate, they where planetary bound until now. One can not help it by saying they took that from stargate since the introduction the Ori's.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    The gate concept is older in Trek than stargate. atleast in the basic form of a gate one walks through to get somewhere else. Guardian of forever ring any bells?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Guardian_of_Forever

Function of going from point A to point B is the same except it also has points in time for B... and a guardian.

The Stargate is a wormhole like the Bjoran wormhole. the gate itself creates a wormhole between another gate and itself. No second gate no wormhole. Iconian gates do not require a second gate.

Theres enough differances right there to see they are similar concepts. Similar they are but not a homage or copy of one another and the "gate" concept predates TOS anyway. But like all fiction original ideas that feel original become more scarce the more work is published.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ^ I don't think it really had to do with the gate itself, but more of the similarities between the two series that people are pointing at.

After all, the Iconian Gateway does predate the Stargate Series.
    alikain wrote: »
    Why do I get the feels that the Iconians are been represented like the Ori's and the preservers much like Alterans (aka Ancient). It's true that, the whole begain felt like stargate universe.

Right now, the Iconians are more like the Shadows from B5. Now if we start to encounter the servants of the Iconians and they start preaching religious doctrine, then I would then say they are like the Ori.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It reminded a lot of Babylon 5's movie ThirdSpace.

Was a lot of fun though!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013

yeah -> see "South Park" - Episode : "The Simpsons already did it"

btw : Carrier kind of reminds me of "Hallowed are the Ori"
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013

You forgot 40k pre-Romulan Republic plasma weapons look like Eldar designs and the hub in subspace was clearly an hommage to the Webway.:D
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The Iconian gateways have been a part of Star Trek since 1989. So they used invisible gateways in space to explain how Iconians and their slave races moved around the universe so easily. Good for the writers, they are doing a great job.

Most sci-fi concepts are drawn from earlier stuff. If you really want to be picky about it, "portals" appear in sci-fi since the 1940s-50s so every modern sci-fi series copied them. Discussion done, let's get back to enjoying the game.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Man, November 15th can't get here fast enough!

guessing that's season 8?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited October 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    It reminded a lot of Babylon 5's movie ThirdSpace.

Was a lot of fun though!

Lol third space was a great movie. The might vorlons who built that third space jump gate which open a doorway to third space dimension, and soon discovered how powerful those aliens were and was beyond their comprehension as well as even much older than them was simplest priceless. It's was a shame we never learn their true name.

@Azurianstat; the reason I choose the Ori's was because they wanted payback for what the Alterans (aka Ancient) did to them. Unlike the shadow who believed that, conflict makes a species stronger, so therefore a few Thousand years, they come out of their hiding and start the regional conflict to make the young races much more stronger. The iconians are not interesting in making as stronger, but some aspect that is similar like the shadows is the regional conflict that both of them love.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey I look at it this way. We finally saw more about the Iconians? Think season 9 we might finally start seeing the war that's been on the horizon for so long?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Similarities to SGU?
    Well yes, the plot begins like many of these plots do: with the need to abandon your current location and leap forth into the unknown. This is a common trope and story Starting point.

Where this episode and SGU differ is that it did not immediately start to suck like it did in SGU. The absence of the religious undertones and annoying characters was also a big plus.

All in all, this mission had good content to offer and was a step up from the LoR missions in terms of quality.
    Cryptic is going the right direction here, just think where we stood 4 years ago.

Not to mention that having a gateway network confirmed and working really opens up the possibilities.

New and improved Exploration content perhaps?
    edited October 2013
    You forgot 40k pre-Romulan Republic plasma weapons look like Eldar designs and the hub in subspace was clearly an hommage to the Webway.:D

I knew I have seen that gates design look somewhere before. The webway gates of the Eldar. Everything about season eight feel and looks like eldar tech. Just look at all the architecture building.
    edited October 2013
    Wrong.

The Goa'uld had stargates inside their pyramid ships in SG1 years before the Ori showed up.

It was in the first season that SG1 used the gate to sneak aboard the mothership of Klorel, son of Apophis, which was enroute to attack the Earth. Apophis and Klorel escaped the destruction of their motherships using yet another gate.

Then in SG: Atlantis they moved and used two stargates in the Midway Station to connect the Pegasus Galaxy stargate network to the Milky Way stargate network.

After the Ori showed up:

The Asurans used Stargates as deployable space weapons in satellites that they could fire an energy beam thru at a given target from a gate on their homeworld.

We don't know if that weapon was developed thousands of years ago or if it was a recent invention.

Lol what do you mean wrong, you do realise that Goa'uld are using Alterans (lanterns aka ancient) tech right. Everyone one was, and yes the Goa'uld had gates in their ships but the ship need to be next to planet before you can gate to it. Not until the one the Ori's use the space gate to bring their ship over to our Milky Way galaxy, was their any such thing seen before.

The Asurans where the human-form replicators that the lanterns created as weapons to fight the wraith but, when the ancient concluded that their experiment had gone to far and they creation wouldn't become the weapon they desired to create, they try to destroy them and fail. Oberoth their leader had all the knowledge the ancient, that why the Asurans reacted the city-ship, ancient aurora class ships.

Those deployable satellite where indeed created by the Asurans but one can still argue that it ancient tech since the Asurans had all the knowledge that the ancient possess.

As for the midway station that too was after the Ori's little skirmish. You do realise the proximity of the two gates needed a work-around it had to be created so that Pegasus gate would not supersede the Milky Way gate allowing both to dial at the sametime right. Am just say the Ori's use the space gate first in stargate SG1 before all the Atlantis started to have gate in space for the jumpers.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    There were huge boulders that fell over the entrance to the cave. There was no way out and no chance of surviving other than to go through.

I think they would've set up emergency transporters as a matter of standard procedure.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think they would've set up emergency transporters as a matter of standard procedure.

Kind of like putting crash restraints on starships?

Occupational health doesn't exist in the 25th century, you know that.
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hmmm goign through portal to another world/place awakeneing a dormant threat and accelerated the highly likely eradication of all life in the galaxy for wanting to turn something on they dont remotely understand.... yea id say the mission follows the gist of stargate quite well :-P
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lets see...

references to a gate network in another galaxy.

One of the resonance numbers is 38

An alien transport system computer that uses 6 spacial coordinates for targeting.

A gate that sends you to an alien base and ship.

A supergate the bad guys invade from.

A giant holographic starchart. (totally looks like this)

Nawwww this isn't Stargate... :D
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    An alien transport system computer that uses 6 spacial coordinates for targeting.
    I don't think the six sets of spacial coordinates in the computer were for targeting a single destination.

When you get to the giant "hub" room, there are six planets under observation - Earth, Qo'noS, New Romulus, Iconia, and those planets in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants I'm too lazy to look up the names of right now.

The six sets of coordinates in the computer most likely referred to these six planets, as they were the ones under active observation.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    Lets see...

references to a gate network in another galaxy.

One of the resonance numbers is 38

A gate that sends you to an alien base and ship.

A supergate the bad guys invade from.

A giant holographic starchart. (totally looks like this)

Nawwww this isn't Stargate... :D

And the Obelisk mirrors the Ori design style. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • stonefyrestonefyre Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The first thing I thought of when I read about the Obelisk Swarmers were Squid Drones