test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

sto references to shows,movies help plz

howiebabey82howiebabey82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Academy
a co worker is curious about sto and its credibility so id like some references in point form facts i know sto isn't all cannon but id like some point form facts how sto's canon in regards to the movies,tv shows
Post edited by howiebabey82 on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking... STO takes place about 30 years after the end of Nemesis (the last chronological point in hard canon). Could you clarify what facts you're looking for?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A lot of characters, mainly younger ones, are still around. Many adult cast members would be very old in STO's time, though Worf and Alexander are still alive, and Alexander is a fairly big player in the early parts of the Klingon campaign.

One of the big conceits of STO is that, despite being in the same universe as the shows, the events that led up to the 2009 movie took place - Spock tried and failed to save Romulus, and then he and Nero both disappeared into a red matter black hole. The Hobus supernova is a pretty major event in the game's story.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Star Trek: Nemesis takes place in 2379.
    Spock tries to save Romulus in 2387 and gets sucked into an alternate dimension.
    Star Trek Online takes place in 2409.

You can read what happen between 2379 and 2409 in the Path to 2409 on Memory Beta.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking... STO takes place about 30 years after the end of Nemesis (the last chronological point in hard canon). Could you clarify what facts you're looking for?

specific stuff that proves that sto has stuff movies and tv shows referenced into it
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    specific stuff that proves that sto has stuff movies and tv shows referenced into it
    You mean stuff like Naomi Wildman, from Voyager, is now the Commander of Deep Space K-7 in STO?

As I said, a lot of that is covered in the Path to 2409. In this timeline Picard is 102 years old and living on Earth - after spending many years as the Ambassador to Vulcan after he left Starfleet. You need to read the Path, and even the official STO novel, The Needs of the Many, to get an idea of everything that's changed in 30 years.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    here is what i got so far

all this is in sto based on movies

a lot of the ship models from sto are dead on accurate in looks
    and functionality from movies and shows

romulans being destroyed despite spock's effort

wills clone transporter accident

the doomsday monster is referenced from the old series.

alot of the races are from series tv and or movies

worm hole

planets

ship components engines,transporter etc

and ground weapons, personal shields,melee weapons like
    batleth

dominion wars

the story lines are different but this game isn't recreating
    the shows its a different time period

worf,scotty, Q,hue,kahlass,
    Sela and the episode of next gen that led to here being
    ... the one with the enterprise c
    Naomi Wildman, from Voyager, is now the Commander of
    Deep Space K-7 in STO

uniforms

borg implants like seven of nine and hue i have one like hue

abilities like re modulate shields,auxiliary so structural are in sto

ranking system admiral etc

same with klingons ranking system

The Hobus supernova is a pretty major event in the game's story.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    STO is basically a direct follow-on from the hard canon; it isn't just something entirely different with 'references' throughout it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Anything put into STO has to be approved by CBS, which owns the right to Star Trek, the TV side.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    Anything put into STO has to be approved by CBS, which owns the right to Star Trek, the TV side.

Correction. CBS owns everything Star Trek outside of the the new JJ TreK movies and a few STar Trek Animated series episodes.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Horta
    Guardian of Forever
    Salt Vampires
    Doomsday Machine
    Devidians
    Crystalline Entity
    Section 31
    Alexander and Worf
    Naomi Wildman and Icheb
    Tash Yar and Empress Sela
    A plethora of races, including those that needed far more air time like the Tholians
    ...dem Ships
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The entire game references the Star Trek series- To pick out every example of a 'reference' would take pages upon pages, because most or all in-game content can be tied back to television canon in some way. I'm not really sure why this thread was necessary in the first place.
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I meant to type more in my last post, but had to run. But, yeah, like other people have said, there's just too much to list.

Pretty much every mission references something in the shows. For example, just playing the first front of the Federation campaign, you see:

Orion pirates
    That Klingon cult that thought Miral Paris was their messiah
    The whole Klingon augment virus forehead thing from Enterprise (I didn't say every reference was a great one)
    Gorn throwing rocks
    Klingons freaking out about a new Federation weapon and kidnapping scientists
    Human augments
    Devidians going back in time to eat people
    Bones making an "I'm a doctor" joke and Scotty being a drunk womanizer
    Species 8472 infiltrating P'jem
    Nausicans challenging the definition of intelligent
    The Guardian of Forever
    A Doomsday Machine

And that's not even a comprehensive list for those missions, which is only about 20% of the total Starfleet campaign, and not even touching the Romulan and Klingon campaigns, or endgame content - S8's upcomming missions extensively reference Omega and Distant Origin, for example.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Correction. CBS owns everything Star Trek outside of the the new JJ TreK movies and a few STar Trek Animated series episodes.

I think that pretty much answers the OP doesnt it? JJ star trek is an 'alternate' universe but with only some minor things being the same as the rest of the series. I mean if it takes place when Kirk was young do the events in JJST match the rest of the series and movies? Vulcan gets blown up in JJST1 IIRC. if that happens then how could the events in the rest of the series have happened? JJST pretty much gives the big middle finger to the continuity of the rest of the series and movies.

ToS > TNG > DS9 > Voyager TV series are all along the same timeline. If you watch episodes from each series its pretty clear since they reference each other all the time. Same with the movies based on the TV series, starting with ST 1 The Motion Picture going all the way to ST10. ST1-6 being based off of the ToS cast, ST7 being a mix of ToS/TNG and ST8-10 being TNG cast with very little Voyager thrown in. I cant comment for Enterprise TV series cause i've never watched it. But i'm assuming it also falls in line with the TOS > TNG > etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ill try ot work on that thanks

nabreeki wrote: »
    On a side note, OP, if you plan on starting new threads, let's shoot for an OP with a specific, clear question or thought rather than a half-baked, vague post that probably doesn't warrant its own thread. I see you've started no less than six threads in the past few days.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sory about that