test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Carriers + Wing Commander Trait

picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
What is the thought with traits such as Wing Commander being put in lock boxes and being difficult to obtain?

It seems like +100% carrier pet XP is almost something you couldn't go without if you were flying a carrier ship. The extra damage, the extra hull, the period heal on top of all that...

I understand things being rare and a little extra bonus, like Helmsman being nice but not such a huge deal. This one seems big time though.

Then on top of that everyone is getting a free carrier in a few weeks.

Thoughts?
Post edited by picardtheiii on

Comments

• Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly I'm grinding right now to earn $5 million more EC just for this new Carrier coming next week. I want to be able to buy top end gear for it.

I can't do PVP in my JHDC but I can in my vesta (it's so much more agile). So I want this thing to shine in PVE and be decent (decent meaning somewhere between my JHDC and my vesta) in PVP.

I honestly don't have Wing commander and if I had to guess, it'll cost you:
    Your left arm, right foot, left kidney and left eye on the exchange (as with everything else on the exchange :rolleyes:). I've lived without it, but maybe someone that has it can educate me as to how much better it makes my JHDC's pets.

P.S. I've been told the new carrier might be a 9 console ship :mad: I've gotten spoiled by 10 console ships, hopefully this'll be a 10 console, 4 fore/3 aft weapon carrier.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ataloss wrote: »
    Honestly I'm grinding right now to earn $5 million more EC just for this new Carrier coming next week. I want to be able to buy top end gear for it.

I can't do PVP in my JHDC but I can in my vesta (it's so much more agile). So I want this thing to shine in PVE and be decent (decent meaning somewhere between my JHDC and my vesta) in PVP.

I honestly don't have Wing commander and if I had to guess, it'll cost you:
    Your left arm, right foot, left kidney and left eye on the exchange (as with everything else on the exchange :rolleyes:). I've lived without it, but maybe someone that has it can educate me as to how much better it makes my JHDC's pets.

P.S. I've been told the new carrier might be a 9 console ship :mad: I've gotten spoiled by 10 console ships, hopefully this'll be a 10 console, 4 fore/3 aft weapon carrier.

Well who knows...there was what was believed to be a 10 console version of the ship linked to the spire fleet holding...which is probably what REDACTED was.

But either way Cryptic isn't known for giving out 10 console ships...
  • Options
    zi76zi76 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The FE carrier is the same as the t1 Dyson one (that's just for people who missed/were unable to get the free one). There will supposedly be a Fleet-esque version of the it at some point, so the FE carrier will most likely be a nine console ship, but you never know.
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    But either way Cryptic isn't known for giving out 10 console ships...

So Breen ship and the Risian Corvette don't count?
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What is the thought with traits such as Wing Commander being put in lock boxes and being difficult to obtain?

It seems like +100% carrier pet XP is almost something you couldn't go without if you were flying a carrier ship. The extra damage, the extra hull, the period heal on top of all that...

I understand things being rare and a little extra bonus, like Helmsman being nice but not such a huge deal. This one seems big time though.

Then on top of that everyone is getting a free carrier in a few weeks.

Thoughts?

In my opinion nothing in this game is absolutely necessary. Yes being able to reduce CD on hangars is great, as is increasing the rate of XP, but it isn't all important. I run 2 KDF characters with a Mirror Vo Quv and a standard Vo Quv. There is no problem with not using Wing Commander, but respecing to use it means giving up another useful trait and a respec.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So Breen ship and the Risian Corvette don't count?

Those took a little more effort than a single mission...
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    In my opinion nothing in this game is absolutely necessary. Yes being able to reduce CD on hangars is great, as is increasing the rate of XP, but it isn't all important. I run 2 KDF characters with a Mirror Vo Quv and a standard Vo Quv. There is no problem with not using Wing Commander, but respecing to use it means giving up another useful trait and a respec.

this, i find it odd that OP considers helmsman simply "nice" and not a "great deal", since its an excellent trait for anyone, and meanwhile finds wing commander necessary, if anything it is kinda useless, either your pets are frigates/shuttles and they're likely to last a long time anyway, or they're fighters and they'll get killed a lot more often than not.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On my Characters that pilot full Carriers, Wing Commander is a must.

IMO if you're using Frigate class Hanger Support, Wing Commander Makes using Launch Time Reducing Flight Deck Doffs pretty useless and allows the Carrier pilot to slot more useful doffs.

If you have the Elite Version of your Hanger Support and the Wing Commander Trait you seldom have to worry about them getting taken out.

It's also worth noting that until this week the Wing Commander Trait was selling for about 4 million EC via the exchange; however, now it's selling from anywhere between 16 ? 20 million.

Yes for a full Carrier Wing Commander is that good and with this new Alien Full Carrier coming it seems that players are stocking up on it.

Now all my Carriers need is a Flight Deck Duty Officer that actually boosts the Attack of my Hanger Support when they are actually Attacking :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]