test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I gotta keep my rep, bro!

salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
Please excuse the title of this post as I used it without a bit of shame in an attempt to get more views.

So, now that I hit level 50 (hold applause, please) what rep faction should I start grinding first?
Post edited by salynrayder on

Comments

• zi76zi76 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All three at once. To be honest, the Omega rep's probably the more useful of the three, at least to a newer player. Nukara and Rom have useful bits, such as the consoles, but the space sets aren't necessarily as useful. Romplas are quite good, but they are somewhat dil-expensive. By the time you'll be at t5, 37 days if you do it once per day, we'll have gotten to see what Protonic Polaron is all about, so you may not even want Romplas at that point, but just do all three of the reps.

Per the S8 thing, you'll be able to halve rep time on alts once you have t5 in a rep on one account, so getting all three (four once Dyson's here) to t5 is useful.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Due to the Rep timer you'll probably want to do a little of all of them. Get some Omega Marks and do a Rep Mission, then go do some Rom Marks, and so on.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    3 reps at once ... 1 - 2 million expertise, a dozen run of Mirror Invasion, millions of EC, hundreds of queued events, 2 months later ...

... and you will still get schooled in PvP by all the lock box ships and wallet warriors. Welcome to a Perfect World.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If this is your first character at level 50 with no reputation done on any, then do all 3 at once or do the content on all 3 for a week to determine which content you like to do and limit your activity with the content you don't like. If you already have a character at level 50 with all reps done, then wait till Season 8 to complete reputation on other characters with the Reputation Sponsorship.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited October 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    3 reps at once ... 1 - 2 million expertise, a dozen run of Mirror Invasion, millions of EC, hundreds of queued events, 2 months later ...

... and you will still get schooled in PvP by all the lock box ships and wallet warriors. Welcome to a Perfect World.

yeah what a nice trade off over the old system where you run a few FUN stfs and get gear for free..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zi76 wrote: »
    All three at once. To be honest, the Omega rep's probably the more useful of the three, at least to a newer player. Nukara and Rom have useful bits, such as the consoles, but the space sets aren't necessarily as useful.....

I agree with this 100%
    macronius wrote: »

I'm at a Loss and I approve that quote. :D Because it's true.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    yeah what a nice trade off over the old system where you run a few FUN stfs and get gear for free..

If you were REALLY lucky.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Do all of them. They all have their uses, although I've never activated the T5 Nukara ability. The T5 Romulan one gives 8 seconds of great drain, pull, etc.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    If you were REALLY lucky.
    No luck required. You'd have an MK XI piece every 40 EDCs, a little something for free to help you in your quest.

Right now? You get to fight in your crappy mission gear all the way to the end...where you FINALLY get to start to actually grind to get gear. Finally, when you CAN have everything...you have nothing to use it on anymore because there is nothing further to get out of it, so there's no point in getting most of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No luck required. You'd have an MK XI piece every 40 EDCs, a little something for free to help you in your quest.

Right now? You get to fight in your crappy mission gear all the way to the end...where you FINALLY get to start to actually grind to get gear. Finally, when you CAN have everything...you have nothing to use it on anymore because there is nothing further to get out of it, so there's no point in getting most of it.

End Game gear is procured after the game has ended. I run all the "End" game stuff to the point where the gear is just more shine to my already shiny.

Then what do we get? A new rep system that we have to run "new" end game stuff for. Once we have gotten the "level" appropriate gear we have already played it till it was boring.

Sure the stuff is good for other stuff, but its best used on the dead horse we have already beaten to the point it is hyper-tenderized horse meat....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013

That's also the way it used to be. Months of grinding an STF i didn't enjoy, just for that last token needed to complete the mk XII set, just to get it rolled away by someone who "needs" it for dilithium or to hoard it in his bank. Once you did get that last setpiece => nothing to do either.

Progression was missing the same way it's missing now.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Please excuse the title of this post as I used it without a bit of shame in an attempt to get more views.

So, now that I hit level 50 (hold applause, please) what rep faction should I start grinding first?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=835361
    This should be a list of what's needed to complete the current 3 reps, its a great list and thanks to the thread writer
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That's also the way it used to be. Months of grinding an STF i didn't enjoy, just for that last token needed to complete the mk XII set, just to get it rolled away by someone who "needs" it for dilithium or to hoard it in his bank. Once you did get that last setpiece => nothing to do either.

Progression was missing the same way it's missing now.

Except getting the stuff required for Mk XII sets had nothing to do with the need/greed system, and was completely random. You're confusing tech (or whatever it was called) with salvage - and extra salvage SOMETIMES appeared on the need/greed UI, but never tech. Tech was used for a specific piece of a set, and was dropped by a specific STF, while salvage dropped in any elite STF and could be used for Mk XII non-set gear.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg