test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Dying/ The Solution

den3067den3067 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
I hear the game is dying, and I don't know what to make of it. But when I log on I have tons of friends and many of them are not online playing.

Issue One: Players raging over Uniform bugs on the Klingon side.
And no good Science Vessels for Klink Science.

Solution One: Before we launch any more major updates which I do love.

We need to: Fix all Uniform and game Bugs. Fix all other exploits that have not been addressed. This is the priority.

Issue Two: Give Science True War Vessels with Xtra Tac BO Slots.

Solution Two: I have heard players raging that they do not have this. So give them what they want. Science War Ships with major firepower. Retrofit some Cruisers on all factions for this purpose.

Romulan Faction: Players complaining they do not have a true faction.
Solution: Give them thier own faction and Starbase.

Issue Three: Too many Fleets and players too spread out. Hard to get good games going.

Solution Three: Consolidate Fleets and Fleet Starbases.
There are too many Fleets in this game. Require Twenty Or More Players at this point to start a new fleet.
And find and provide a way to consolidate present Fleets. We do not need this many, and it is hurting the game.
The Fleet Starbases should disappear and put them on Eath Space Dock/Qonos.

Issue Four: The Doff system is creating a class of the Haves and Have Nots.

Solution Four: Give everyone high quality Purple Doffs. Make them free make them at least Cheap to purchase. We need major game balance specially on ground.

Issue Five: The Rep Systems are a Grind.

Solution Five: Once one toon unlocks and Completes the Rep System it should be system wide for every toon we own.
Also, bring back winning the Elite STF sets we can win on missions as well as the Rep System at the same time. It will encourage players to stay in the game.

Issue Six: Cstore and Lobi Ships are too expensive.

Solution Six: Drop the prices. Yes they cost less. But you will sell more of them. The Three Pack ships in the C-Store should cost about 3000 to 3500 Zen. Only my Opinion.

During the Winter Event you might try giving out several types of ships.

Issue Seven: Lol but yes Toon Regret. I wish I had made my Toon a Tac instead of a Engineer or Science Officer.

Solution Seven: Sell us a Class Respec. Now my favorite toon can become a Tac. Might help to keep players in the game.

Give everybody everything so they continue to play the game.

P.S. PWE advertise your STO game this Xmas season. Specially in the major computer stores. You need to increase your customer base. Alot of people dont even know about this game. Just us hardcore Trekkies.

You might also try giving out a free STO game CD with select Vendors when they sell thier Gaming Laptops and Personal Computers.
Post edited by den3067 on

Comments

• josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game has been either dead or dying since closed beta, 3 1/2 years ago. And yet, we're still here.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    may i be the first to post here we are DOOOOOOM :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Game is dying!" threads is so 2010..

But OP has a couple of good points I think. ;)
    signwidrona.png
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the OP is correct.
    The game is dying.

In fact, i am dying.

My 2013 Hyundai is dying as well.

The planet doesn't have much time left.

And our suns days are numbered.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited October 2013
    The game has been either dead or dying since closed beta, 3 1/2 years ago. And yet, we're still here.

yeah but we are not all here..
    i have close to 30 friends on my friends list that dont play anymore.

the game has declined, and he does make a good point.
    they keep adding new stuff, but never really fixing or balancing the old stuff.. there are many ships id like to play, but i cant cause they dont stand up. these things should be priority.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
    edited October 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    yeah but we are not all here..
    i have close to 30 friends on my friends list that dont play anymore.

the game has declined, and he does make a good point.
    they keep adding new stuff, but never really fixing or balancing the old stuff.. there are many ships id like to play, but i cant cause they dont stand up. these things should be priority.

30? OH COME ON!
    30 is nothing! I have about 300 or so that do not log in anymore. And that is a weak guess.

And it is also irrelevant
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The whole the game is dying thing is getting old. It started when the game launched and yet it is 3.5 years later and the game is still around. Until there is a message on the main website saying the servers are being shut down on this date at this time, then such statements will be ignored since they do nothing except make people angry.

Issue 3: Some people like to create small fleets so requiring 20 players would make them unable to create their own fleet. The problem with Starbases is that not everyone in the fleet contributes their fair share. Some just contribute enough to get enough Fleet Credits for what they want and that is it resulting in other players to carry the fleet.

Issue 5: The devs have stated that contribution made to a particular reputation are for that character are only for that character. It doesn't make sense for your Klingon alt to be rewarded for something your Federation alt has done. However, it makes sense that your Federation alt can sponsor your Klingon alt so that they cut through the red tape and get double rep as a result.

Issue 7: The game is far too easy already to get to level 50 that there is no point for a class respec. People want a class respec so that they don't have to regain their equipment. A Species Respec on the other hand makes sense since certain races were introduced after the game launched or were unavailable to a player until they purchased the lifetime subscription.

There is a problem with "Give everybody everything so they continue to play the game." People get bored if you give them everything. There is no challenge and no sense of achievement with doing this.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    WE'RE DOOOMED!!!! Quick steal everything
    GwaoHAD.png
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Like how it's been a few months since the expansion and the player population has leveled out and the people who played all of the content have been replaced by people who haven't?
    <3
    edited October 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Like how it's been a few months since the expansion and the player population has leveled out and the people who played all of the content have been replaced by people who haven't?

and my ignore list gets bigger
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    and my ignore list gets bigger

And Leon is getting laaaaarrrrrger.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The doom thread is over here...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »

that is pretty much the mo for every big release in sto new stuff comes in cryptic sees a spike in old players returning spike in new players so on so on then few months after it dies back down to what it was before the big release
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As someone who has come back to the game after a ten month sabbatical, I can honestly say, none of the issues brought up by the OP mean any thing to me.

I'm overwhelmed by all the added features and content that have come about since I've been gone.

When I've played through all the new goodies and begin to get bored, I'll step away again. And when I return I'll once again be amazed by all the new shinies that are added.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Game is definitely not dying... the cries of doom are really getting old.

To be honest, I am not in favor of any of your ideas, i really don't think they are needed... with the excepton of sell a class respec... and more advertising.

Issue 1: There is such a thing as too much testing... granted there needs to be a little more testing... and more directed testing (imho). You have a plethora of willing testers Cryptic... put us to use, but reduce the numbers invited to test... and give us a checklist to test.

Issue 2: We (Feds) don't need more ships... seriously... I think we have enough... KDF can use some however... and the Roms need a Science ship...

Issue 3: I have no idea what you are talking about, I have a fleet... and belong to channels... I have no problem getting games going. Queue, Channel, Fleet... not a problem.

Issue 4: The "haves" as you call them, either ground or bought boxes, or spent hours doffing to get their items.. there does need to be something to strive to achieve... otherwise things get boring.

Issue 5: Has been addressed with the Rep Sponsorship, which allows you to complete grinds on alt's in half the time.

Issue 6: Companies need to make money bud... if the market will bear 5000 zen for a pack... then thats what they will sell for... if they stop selling, they'll lower the cost... or throw up a zen/ship sale.

Issue 7: We agree.

If the game were dying, Cryptic would know before we did. They have metrics that they follow.. we are just guessing based on intuition and perspective (I have a long list of friends that aren't on...). It is also about time for a slow down... happens everytime as one season winds down (people get tired of the missions/grind), then picks back up with the next season release.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to be honest... I don't see any "game breaking" bugs out there... can things use a balance pass... sure they could... could there be OP items... yup, and the masses lap them up and spend countless dollars (real or grind out the ec) to get them....

But nothing is so bad that it drives off hordes of players... Personally I couldnt care less about uniform bugs... aesthetic issues aside... what are these major bugs people go on about...

There isn't a single mission I can't complete in today's game (running in elite mode, or chosing elite versions of the queued mission)... There are OP items/skills (especially when spammed) but.. ultimately.. nothing to get up in arms about. Even the so called OP PvP stuff becomes manageable with time...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's unusual to see someone successfully combine the most unrealistic threads on the forum into one monolithic whole.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What is your stats or sources stating this? These posts always shows up on the forums.

I remember the days when I was on WoW. Those forums had one of these topics pop up almost monthly. And look they are near a 10 year mark and still going.

Same old topics of untruths.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    may i be the first to post here we are DOOOOOOM :D

I thought we had this all sewn up in another thread. :)
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    WE'RE DOOOMED!!!! Quick steal everything

Ah. The Man of Steal has finally arrived. Here's some green Kryptonite as a souvenir.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've always wondered why a uniform bug is so game breaking to some. How does the way your pants fit or a missing belt or something keep you from completing missions or blowing up an enemy or loading a map or whatnot?
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All those "BAH My Friendlist does not log in therefore less players!" are forgetting one big thing...

Sure, the people you've listed in your friendlist aren't playing anymore... but most likely for everyone you "lost" there are 5 new Players completely unknown to you...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've always wondered why a uniform bug is so game breaking to some. How does the way your pants fit or a missing belt or something keep you from completing missions or blowing up an enemy or loading a map or whatnot?

Because it's human nature to have different priorities and interests (which is also a basic Star Trek theme)
    Immersion in a game is important to some, and graphical appearance and quality therefore also important.

Similar to how some people buy a car just because of how it looks, rather than the specs of it. Compare to someone who buys a car with tattered seats, rust and dents they don't care about because they got it because it is fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love these "the game is dying" threads.

The game gets to staff up their dev team.

Staffed up dev team makes massive expansion.

Have to upgrade and expand the servers to fit everyone.

Dev team starts working on a large update focused on endgame involving dinosaurs with laz0rs.

omg game is dying

lol
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This has got to be a troll thread.

Now mind you, I have no idea what PWE/Cryptic's profit margin in for this game, so just like the OP I'm guessing here. Who knows, maybe it is dying but I seriously doubt it. I've been through enough games that were doomed to know how it feels like, and this isn't it. It still has a couple years left to it.

For one, we had queue's during LoR. There was a ton of money being poured into the game during the first month of LoR as everyone bought keys for lockboxes, the new Romulan C-Store ships, the LoR founders packs, that kind of stuff. Mind you LoR also cost money, so it's possible they broke even which leads me to the second point.

I've seen no loss of developers on this game. One leaves, one comes in, so at least it's holding steady.

Also games that are dying tend not to make new content, at least not new content as expansive as Season 8. So while if were were getting just the FE, I'd say maybe, the fact that Season 8 is still coming out, on time, kind of seems to me that they have a rather strong dev team, which are being paid, on time, and the money is there to create new content and push it live.

So just like others said this "game is dying" thread I think started way back in EQ1's first days, and have progressed through each game, almost daily. I even once read back in the first years of WoW that WoW was dying.

As to "my friends don't log on anymore" quite a few of mine don't either. Then all of a sudden word gets out of an expansion, FE, or new Season, and they'll all show up for the next month or two (in fact they're beginning to show up as of last week) and leave, just as I'll probably leave after the winter wonderland, and I'll come back for Season 9, stopping in occasion to feed the Cryptic dinosaur my cash for some new limited edition C-Store shiny that my characters just have to have.

MMOs are cyclical, every single one of them. So unless you happen to have insider information I don't have, I doubt this game is doomed.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game is in trouble. maybe not dying but in trouble. the issue is that alot of bugs, maybe not game breaking but bugs go unfixed. Example my fed females can't use the Yesterday's Enterprise bet loop for it doesn't expand with TRIBBLE. Why was that not caught before release of that item? We also have ignored pleas of fans here about ships needing retooling with updates that are ignored. Instead with get ugly new ships. cough Regent and Avenger cough. that are too expensive.

which reminds me, yes the zen prices are toomuch for some things. for 3 packs is 50 bucks worth. you can buy a full out PC game for that price and the high tier ships 25 bucks. that is insane.

TO the OP's idea on fleet. HELL NO the problem is the grind for fleet's. it should be based on fleet size. the 5 member fleet will have a harder time than a 20 or 200 member fleet. That hurt the idea of fleet bases in this game.

Face if they are bringing dinos with FREAKING lasers then they are REALLY out of ideas
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013

A couple of things about that may bother/annoy people.

Someone putting a big scratch or dent in your car won't interfere with your getting back and forth to work, but every time you see it, it's going to disturb you. Appearances are important to us whether we admit to that or not.

Beyond that, any bug, be it aesthetic or mechanic, which goes unaddressed by the developers, after it has been brought to their attention will likely be perceived by the player as the developers either being incompetent at their jobs or having disdain for their customers.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    den3067 wrote: »
    And no good Science Vessels for Klink Science.

I agree with everything else you said to the point that I have no reply to the issues except this one. Two years ago, a Klink Sci flew a BoP. Now we have Gorn ships. The Gorn ships are very nice science ships. Sure, we don't have a wide selection like the Feds do but we do have very nice science ships. The Fleet Voranus is a very solid science ship. I believe it would be the KDF twin of the Reconnaissance Science Vessel but with a repair platform.

Romulans have fairly poor Science Vessel selection as well as it seems they cannot use a fleet version of their chosen adopted faction. IE they can't even use the Fleet Voruanus on the KDF side. They must get a Ha'nom or something. I could be mistaken here though.

Sign me on for the rest unless you change this one to "And no options for other Science Vessels like the Federation has." Then I will sign that one too!
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2013

When you buy extra costume slots and those slots get populated with a bug that you cannot change or edit, then it is a "I bought a lemon" issue and you want what you paid for.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
This discussion has been closed.