test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry blackouts...

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask your opinions on something...
I have a new mission ready to go, for feedback. But I know Season 8 is right around the corner, and the Foundry is always shut down for a while after a big update.
Should I delay publishing my mission until after the Season 8 Foundry blackout???
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Season 8 is still a few weeks off so you should be safe. My gut is telling me this Season isn't going to effect Foundry much, as I believe the big foundry downtimes are the summer updates (usually because of big code mergers or something idk) Even if the foundry is down for a while if something in your mission breaks you should be good as they are pretty good about turning of reviews during the downtime if any major bugs pop up. I'd say if you want to publish now go for it.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Season 8 is still a few weeks off so you should be safe. My gut is telling me this Season isn't going to effect Foundry much, as I believe the big foundry downtimes are the summer updates (usually because of big code mergers or something idk) Even if the foundry is down for a while if something in your mission breaks you should be good as they are pretty good about turning of reviews during the downtime if any major bugs pop up. I'd say if you want to publish now go for it.

Seems like sound reasoning. I know you have more experience with the Foundry and all that it entails than I do. When I get it published, please take a look at it if you have time Admiral. I'll of course make a post about it. Thanks for your response.

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's too early to know what effect the next season will have on Foundry. We MIGHT get a giant stack of Voth toys.... or maybe not. Either way we don't know what we will get just yet. make the mission then if something comes up... enh... such is life.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    djf021 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I wanted to ask your opinions on something...
    I have a new mission ready to go, for feedback. But I know Season 8 is right around the corner, and the Foundry is always shut down for a while after a big update.
    Should I delay publishing my mission until after the Season 8 Foundry blackout???

Ok, I know this is a bit unrelated, but, speaking of season 8...maybe they should have waited to add the new Avenger-class ship until the start of Season 8...lol I don't care if anyone wants to comment on this...
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    Yes that is very unrelated :)

Anyway, the argument we always get from Cryptic when someone says "A big season update is coming, I'm going to withdraw all my missions they don't get screwed up." is something along the lines of this (I'm paraphrasing):

"Don't pull your missions, because they could get broken anyway. Editing is always turned off at first. Missions that remain up will be auto-republished and those authors will have a chance to play through those missions to see if they have been broken. If you take your missions down, you'll have to wait longer to get back into them to find out if they are ok. Plus our playtests when missions start coming back up help find bugs sooner."

Take that for what you will. It's really up to you.

(And DJ, sorry for not testing your mission yet, been very busy with the Purity Series. I promise I will get to it.)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

Anyway, the argument we always get from Cryptic when someone says "A big season update is coming, I'm going to withdraw all my missions they don't get screwed up." is something along the lines of this (I'm paraphrasing):

"Don't pull your missions, because they could get broken anyway. Editing is always turned off at first. Missions that remain up will be auto-republished and those authors will have a chance to play through those missions to see if they have been broken. If you take your missions down, you'll have to wait longer to get back into them to find out if they are ok. Plus our playtests when missions start coming back up help find bugs sooner."

(And DJ, sorry for not testing your mission yet, been very busy with the Purity Series. I promise I will get to it.)

Just started playing the same series! wtf! Sovereign-class and Galaxy-class forced to battle an Excelsior!
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013

That does have its merits but if you pull your mission it wont get a ton of 1 star reviews. It cant really hurt publishing now though it's just up to you if you pull the mission before the publish date.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That does have its merits but if you pull your mission it wont get a ton of 1 star reviews. It cant really hurt publishing now though it's just up to you if you pull the mission before the publish date.
    that's only if it breaks, and also only if a lot of people play it. If even only one of them happens.... you're good.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I usually leave my mission up for testing, but put a notice on the opening description explaining about seasonal updates and noting that breakage it likely. Usually include my handle asking for bugs to be sent there.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited October 2013

No problem Drogyn! I know you will. thanks for your help!

-Captain James T. Kirk