test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What the Heck is A Spad?

cherojcheroj Member Posts: 35 Arc User
So, recently in an update, a strange and bizarre thing has suddenly cropped up in the character creator and Tailors, but only for male avatars: the elusive spad.

Amazing! I can now change the length, width, and bulk of my spads. The only problem is: I have no idea what a spad is.

I have scrutinized every part of the avatar while moving all the spad sliders in every possible direction; nothing anywhere changes size or shape.

I have googled the word "spad body part" and "spad" and even went to far as to Bing it; there is no reference to what a spad is.

I searched the forums and stumbled across some speculators saying it might be "shoulder pads;" Nope, they don't change size either.

As far as I can tell I am missing my spads. Should I be concerned? Is this a physiological problem? Is this merely sociological deprivation of the latest fad (spad fad)? Why am I not good enough to get your mystical spads, Cryptic?
Post edited by cheroj on

Comments

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'd like to know this too. The "spad" sliders don't seem to visibly do anything when I move them, so far as I can tell.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    cheroj wrote: »
    So, recently in an update, a strange and bizarre thing has suddenly cropped up in the character creator and Tailors, but only for male avatars: the elusive spad.

Amazing! I can now change the length, width, and bulk of my spads. The only problem is: I have no idea what a spad is.

I have scrutinized every part of the avatar while moving all the spad sliders in every possible direction; nothing anywhere changes size or shape.

I have googled the word "spad body part" and "spad" and even went to far as to Bing it; there is no reference to what a spad is.

I searched the forums and stumbled across some speculators saying it might be "shoulder pads;" Nope, they don't change size either.

As far as I can tell I am missing my spads. Should I be concerned? Is this a physiological problem? Is this merely sociological deprivation of the latest fad (spad fad)? Why am I not good enough to get your mystical spads, Cryptic?

Once your character hits spuberty, you'll get the options to change the size of your spads.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited September 2013
    A Spad is a French biplane from World War One. American ace Eddie Rickenbacker flew one.
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    "Dave, you crazy fool. We're all set to save your bacon, there's no need for you to sling your love spads on the barbecue."

I figure "spads" are for when the introduce customisable Tholian BOFFs. Spads are like quads but for sp-iderlike creatures...
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A Spad is a French biplane from World War One. American ace Eddie Rickenbacker flew one.

Actually is a family of French biplanes from WWI.
  • rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Still doesn't answer the overlying question: In STO, what is a Spad and why does it have a slider?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure it's an abbreviation for shoulder pad.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,281 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well when a girl and a boy really love each other the boy shows her his spad.

Answer: I got no clue.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Strangely
    Peculiar
    Aesthetic
    Decorations
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    SPAD was a French aircraft manufacturer that produced a number of WW1 biplanes.

Since your character does not appear to have a plane, this slider does nothing. Presumably it would control the shape of your plane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Strangely
    Peculiar
    Aesthetic
    Decorations
    You win.

/10char
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Something
    Popped
    And
    Died

Don't move that slider!

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A dev commented on the spad sliders here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12916621&postcount=105

Yes, "spad" stands for "shoulder pad". The sliders were supposed to be for internal dev use only.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Aww. and there I was hoping it had something to do with how many socks your gentleman stuffed down the front of his undies....:cool:

SPAD? Sock PADding? :/
    I need a beer.

• autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    A dev commented on the spad sliders here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12916621&postcount=105

Yes, "spad" stands for "shoulder pad". The sliders were supposed to be for internal dev use only.

Well, I guess it's a good thing then that they've put this part of the Costume Creator on the High Priority List of things to get fixed.

Um ... :rolleyes:
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Special
    Penis
    Device
    Adjuster

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In UK politics a SpAd is a Special Advisor. Basically a political operator working for a minister, but paid by the minister's department (i.e. the taxpayer).

Blair oversaw the raise of the SpAd and Liberal Democrats have just doubled the number we have to pay for.

Please push that slider to the minimum, as SpAds are currently costing us Brits ?7.2 million a year.