test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to copy key bindings from character to character

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Controls and User Interface
Ok, I thought I would repost this tip as most of the good stuff on the forums seems to have gone "poof" after beta.

For those who create multiple characters, its a logical assumption that your keybindings are global and will be carried from your last character to the new one. Well, nope, not in STO. There is, however a way to deal with the situation but it involves some slash commands.

Saving a key binding set from an existing character:
To save the binds for a character will involve you going to both GROUND and SPACE and executing a slash command in each place. I wish I knew of a global save but I don't so here is how to save the bindings of WHERE YOU ARE. Lets say you are on a space station (GROUND controlls). Hit ENTER to start a chat message and type (or copy/paste) the following:
/bind_save_file DefaultGround.txt

That will save a file in your STO directory with your character's current key bindings, in this case your character's ground bindings. Now, undock and when you get to space, again hit enter to start a chat and type (or copy/paste) the following:
/bind_save_file DefaultSpace.txt

As before, it saves a text file in your STO folder.

You now have both the ground and the space settings saved from your character.

Loading key bindings into a new character:
Yes, as you might imagine, the files you saved above can now be loaded into one or many characters after you create them. As before, you will need to load the current binding set based on the character's current location. Since you start out on a station, load the ground ones first with:
/bind_load_file DefaultGround.txt

Then during the first space flight in the training mission you can load your space binding set:
/bind_load_file DefaultSpace.txt

Closing Notes:
You can simply repeat the loading process for each new character you create. Also, the text file remains intact and in the STO folder even if you delete a character. So this means you have a backup of your bindings. You can also zip up your bindings and email them to friends to try out. They can easily save theirs and load yours to try. If they don't like them they can simply load theirs back in.

You can change the names of the text files in the load and save commands and you can include a drive and path if you don't want them directly in your STO folder. I simply used easy to remember generic names for the files in this post. You, however, can be as creative with the names as your OS will allow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Doh! Ive been looking for this thread... this should be stickied, I never knew these existed, even back in City of X they apparently had them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    OP:Thank you

I've been using /bind_save_file and manually editing space commands and controls(all) so far and its been a reason I've not wanted to make new characters. They archived all the Beta posts, still there just have to go into archives to find them.

I totally agree. This needs to be stickied.

This should be stickied or reposted as well
    Basic Key Bind guide and Command List
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What about saving and loading HUD layout for both ground and space too?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thank you for this thread. Bumping.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice info to know, thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Great information! Bumping it!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is awesome.

Thanks for explaining this. I dreaded having to remap everything again.

You rock!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Strange, but the keybind files saved have little relation to the keymaps set up on the chr saved from.
    (Saved both respectively from ground and space.) any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Turnkeys wrote: »
    Strange, but the keybind files saved have little relation to the keymaps set up on the chr saved from.
    (Saved both respectively from ground and space.) any suggestions?

Dunno, I saved them from my first character. I have then loaded them into 3 other characters with no probs and it worked as expected.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Are the files supposed to be empty/blank?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Are the files supposed to be empty/blank?

I have the same problem when I copy new characters. For older characters only the binds I modified shows up in the file.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have the same problem when I copy new characters. For older characters only the binds I modified shows up in the file.

Yep, same here.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, the files could be empty or may only contain a few lines. The files will only contain CHANGES from the default settings. So, if you don't change any mappings, the file will be empty. If you only changed, say the E key mapping, the file will only contain mapping for the one key, the E.

This, unfortunately, has the effect of NOT overwriting bindings you changed (at least it didn't in the past though I have not checked it recently). Lets say you exported a character that was all default except for the E key. Then you loaded a character that you accidentally modified the Q key on and then imported the key file. Only the E will change, the Q will still be modified. The only way I see around this is to set all bindings to default prior to importing. This has never been an issue for me as I usually use what I posted here on brand new characters for the purposes of keeping all my toons mapped the same as i create them. I have rarely needed to change the mappings much later.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wolfiesden wrote:
    Yes, the files could be empty or may only contain a few lines. The files will only contain CHANGES from the default settings. So, if you don't change any mappings, the file will be empty. If you only changed, say the E key mapping, the file will only contain mapping for the one key, the E.

This, unfortunately, has the effect of NOT overwriting bindings you changed (at least it didn't in the past though I have not checked it recently). Lets say you exported a character that was all default except for the E key. Then you loaded a character that you accidentally modified the Q key on and then imported the key file. Only the E will change, the Q will still be modified. The only way I see around this is to set all bindings to default prior to importing. This has never been an issue for me as I usually use what I posted here on brand new characters for the purposes of keeping all my toons mapped the same as i create them. I have rarely needed to change the mappings much later.

I figured I going to have to recreate the default key mappings from scratch even for commands using the default setting. I wanted to try to avoid recreating the wheel with keybinds. This game handles keybinding differently than keybinding in Cryptic first game CoH. I wish the powexec command was working as well. I want to run the VoiceCommand program and it would be nicer if at least powexec commands worked. Now I have to make an external list to add in game and to use that list to verify binded keys in the other program. I know more work to make things easier.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Where was this thread last night when I made an alt and wasted like 15 minutes readjusting my layout and keybindings? Oh I know, it was here and I'm an idiot for not checking the forums

Thanks for the thread, this will for sure come in handy :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Useful, thanks.

Should be a sticky.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    useful, thank you
    weird there is not an internet short for that...
    i mean, dltdhyaotwo is well known, but thanks for your post, tag so it is in my history, nothing else to say

should have a meme of it's own
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone have a tutorial or list of basic scripting commands for STO? I want to create an auto-self-target keybind, or at least attempt to with the commands.

Please don't just tell me it can't be done. I want to try for myself.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rojon wrote: »
    Does anyone have a tutorial or list of basic scripting commands for STO? I want to create an auto-self-target keybind, or at least attempt to with the commands.

Please don't just tell me it can't be done. I want to try for myself.

I'd like to be able to change the self target to something other than f1. i am left handed and use the numb pad with my right hand and mouse with my left hand.
  • Options
    obsydiusobsydius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THANK YOU! This is great... works like a charm. Bump. :P
  • Options
    yaveryyavery Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmmm... Couldn't get this to work. Just got a lot of nulls in the default files instead of commands.
  • Options
    bigduke66bigduke66 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How can I transfer all the settings from one char to another?
    For example I want the same HUD layout for all my chars.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bigduke66 wrote: »
    How can I transfer all the settings from one char to another?
    For example I want the same HUD layout for all my chars.

Options>HUD>Save UI

Swap to other character

Options>HUD>Load UI

That should be it if I recall correctly.

Oh and fun fact, this thread's five times necro'd, but still useful.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    does that mean it's the ghost of a zombie, of a mummy of a vampire of Frankenstein's monster?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg