test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some grudging respect for Admiral Bobo

donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
Honestly, this is not a troll.

I just wanted to point out that while the serious Foundry community, and apparently Cryptic, despises exploitative loot & accolade grinder missions, Admiral Bobo's author at least made the attempt to wrap an entertaining shell around the mission.

And that's the key thought here: I believe that Admiral Bobo was not popular because it was a grinder, but because it was an entertaining grinder. It had a simple story appropriate to its purpose. It had dialogue that walked the line between dark, introspective humor and outright silliness. It even had a character -- though not the player's character -- that acted as the voice of reason, expressing shock over the mindless slaughter and adding an additional level of dark humor.

Of course, after that we walk into the game exploit zone. But I would note that "Bobo" was not an AFK auto-fire mission, as I've seen a few accuse it of being. There was a ton of dialogue breaking up the waves of combat. You'd have to at least spam the [F] key at regular intervals.

Was it a good use of the Foundry? Arguably not. Was it an exploit grinder? Definitely. But at least it attempted to stretch beyond its grinder roots.

Bottom line: it was a fun mission to play -- once. I'll likely never play it again, but it was worth the price of admission to see what all the fuss was about.

So before casting more stones at our favorite Foundry whipping boy, at least consider that it made an overt attempt to be something more than just a grinder. And I think its popularity stemmed from that.

There's something in there we can all learn from.
Post edited by donperk on

Comments

• Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fair point, I've never played it myself but i might do just to see whats going on in it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So it was a poorly written "story" mission with added exploit? That's like saying a poisoned drink isn't so far off a normal drink because unlike most poisoned drinks, this has a nice after taste in your mouth like the drink is supposed to taste.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    Is this really something we need to get into again? Didn't we have enough "fun" with Timid Creaturegate?

-Exploits need to be stamped out, not just in the Foundry but all across the game, that's the responsibility of any MMO company. That's all on Cryptic's end. The only thing for us here is to report what we think might be exploits. Whether it is or not is up to them.
    -Grinders and story missions could live in peace if we get some kind of better search engine that separates the two.

Anything else?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So it was a poorly written "story" mission with added exploit? That's like saying a poisoned drink isn't so far off a normal drink because unlike most poisoned drinks, this has a nice after taste in your mouth like the drink is supposed to taste.

No... it was an intentional exploit mission that wrapped an arguably humorous dialog around it.

I have no intent to praise Bobo as anything other than it is. I'm just saying that I think way too many people jump on the "Bobo" bandwagon without knowing what it actually is. Of all the exploit missions that are out there, "Bobo" is the one that people recognize. That means it had something to offer beyond the run-of-the-mill grinder. And it's author unabashedly set out to wrap a thin, funny story around a grinder. He'd be the first to tell you it's not a masterpiece -- that it's a piece of fluff.

BUT -- something about "Admiral Bobo" resonates. Even if it is an exploit mission, it stands out.

Do I want to see more Bobos? No, no and NO! But it's foolish for us to dismiss it without some examination of why it is popular and why it gets more plays and reviews than other grinders that don't even require you to sit at the keyboard. Why has "Bobo" become the mission we point to in disgust over some other mission.

Let's face it... "Admiral Bobo" is to Foundry grinders as Kleenex is to facial tissue. It's reasonable to ask "Why?" What distinguishes it? And is there something there that the "legit" authors can learn from?

Perhaps not... but it's worth asking the question and finding out rather than just assuming in our arrogance that there's nothing there.
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Wouldn't you prefer a sweet poison though?
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Is this really something we need to get into again? Didn't we have enough "fun" with Timid Creaturegate?

-Exploits need to be stamped out, not just in the Foundry but all across the game, that's the responsibility of any MMO company. That's all on Cryptic's end. The only thing for us here is to report what we think might be exploits. Whether it is or not is up to them.
    -Grinders and story missions could live in peace if we get some kind of better search engine that separates the two.

Anything else?

I agree with both of your points, but you are missing mine. Perhaps this is too emotionally-charged an issue to discuss here.
  • Options
    offtheeclipticofftheecliptic Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Frankly, I think the real problem here is the Foundry elite who think they own the tool and need to control the content.

It's a game. Whatever is fun is great.

I've played this mission a number of times, and I still enjoy it.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Grinder missions have their place (better to play a grinder mission a couple times than the same four or five missions repeated over and over to earn kill accolades for some of the races like Devidians, Fek'ihri, etc.), if they can be made enjoyable - so much the better.

Like drogyan said, if grinders and story missions could be seperated in the search engine (even just a little radio button or something that you can check "Show only missions that qualify for Foundry rewards"), a lot of the problem would solve itself. I know that my major problem with grinders is just trying to find story missions among a results list full of grinders.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I remember back when people would play the Breen missions over and over just so that they could sell the Breen space set repeatedly.....

It doesn't matter what missions are in the game, people will grind because they want stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The existence of exploit and grindfest Foundry missions hurts the serious authors.

That is all.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What hurts authors is the fact that non-grind missions largely get buried underneath the grinders. The more grind missions that clog the top rated list, including missions that no longer give rewards but are "stuck" on the list due to previous high ratings, the fewer story line missions are shown. And right now with the lack of a next button that means many missions cannot even be found.

The fixes are obvious, and they've been gone over many times, but so far nothing has been done. I don't think anyone would give a damn about the grinders if there were a separate list for story missions.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    The existence of exploit and grindfest Foundry missions hurts the serious authors.

That is all.

I agree with Nagorak it is the listing that hurts (my mission only has plays because I promote it on the forums). Attacking grinders on the forums hurts authors too since we were blamed for the nerfing of foundry rewards.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    This has strayed so far from the OP it should probably be shut down.
  • Options
    blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

That is all.

The question is, what do you define as serious? I have to say i noticed a lot of elitist attitude arround here.

Does it need to be some canon Trekie story to be considered as serious?

Does it need to be 1-2 hours long to be considered as serious?

Does it need to resort to things like travel 30km -> Interact -> Get attacked -> travel 50km -> Interact -> Get attacked...hm what now? Oh well because it was so much fun the first two times let's do it 3 more times kinda mechanics to achive that mission length and to be taken serious?

Not to defend the grinders in general but i sure as hell used them and i am pretty sure everyone does or has used them at one point.

Question is who decides what is good and what is not? You? No ,Me? No, The girl next door? No, Cryptic? Not even them.

The simple truth is the community as a whole does, and every fact shows the community seems to like them be it for good or ill.

The only solution to end this kind of debates lies on Cryptic's end, what they need to add (as a required "must be filled") is a "Chosse type of Mission" just like you choose language, due to your choice the mission will, after being published, put into the respective category tab (these tabs need to be added first of course), instead of the "everything in one show all tab" TRIBBLE we have now, then every player will have easier access to what he/she is searching for and because every category has its own rankings the "Why are there only grinders on top" come to an end.

Hell the review section as it is currently is the worst i have ever seen it shows all and i mean ALL that never made it out of there, thousands of missions resulting in a nice little lagfest, this also makes it harder to get reviews on actual missions because noone can be bothered to browse through this hell.

donperk wrote: »
    This has strayed so far from the OP it should probably be shut down.

Sorry for the Off Topic could not help it, to tell the truth i dont know that Admiral Bobo its probably Fed side i assume? Not doing much over there other than hanging out with the fleet.

But from what i get it sounds like someone tried to put a little humor into the whole grinding mess, and since iam always in favor of humor i tend to agree with your point.

End Note: If it sounds aggressive at parts be aware that this is not intended.
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The question is, what do you define as serious? I have to say i noticed a lot of elitist attitude arround here.

Does it need to be some canon Trekie story to be considered as serious?

Does it need to be 1-2 hours long to be considered as serious?

Does it need to resort to things like travel 30km -> Interact -> Get attacked -> travel 50km -> Interact -> Get attacked...hm what now? Oh well because it was so much fun the first two times let's do it 3 more times kinda mechanics to achive that mission length and to be taken serious?

Not to defend the grinders in general but i sure as hell used them and i am pretty sure everyone does or has used them at one point.

Question is who decides what is good and what is not? You? No ,Me? No, The girl next door? No, Cryptic? Not even them.

The simple truth is the community as a whole does, and every fact shows the community seems to like them be it for good or ill.

The only solution to end this kind of debates lies on Cryptic's end, what they need to add (as a required "must be filled") is a "Chosse type of Mission" just like you choose language, due to your choice the mission will, after being published, put into the respective category tab (these tabs need to be added first of course), instead of the "everything in one show all tab" TRIBBLE we have now, then every player will have easier access to what he/she is searching for and because every category has its own rankings the "Why are there only grinders on top" come to an end.

Hell the review section as it is currently is the worst i have ever seen it shows all and i mean ALL that never made it out of there, thousands of missions resulting in a nice little lagfest, this also makes it harder to get reviews on actual missions because noone can be bothered to browse through this hell.

Sorry for the Off Topic could not help it, to tell the truth i dont know that Admiral Bobo its probably Fed side i assume? Not doing much over there other than hanging out with the fleet.

But from what i get it sounds like someone tried to put a little humor into the whole grinding mess, and since iam always in favor of humor i tend to agree with your point.

End Note: If it sounds aggressive at parts be aware that this is not intended.

Serious, is definitely not the term I would have used. There are a lot of different styles of missions out there with different purposes. Some are meant to be serious, some are meant to be light-hearted, some are little more than environments, some just pit you against lots and lots of enemies of a single type.

I don't have a problem with any particular style though I do wish that there was a better search so that you could search and browse through missions of the style that you wanted to play.

I do have a very specific problem, however, with how some particular missions are structured. Cheating the system to get more currency than the devs intended. Whether that's dilithium or EC. It's still an exploit and should be dealt with in some way.

Edit: And yes, I am a humour fan myself but inserting humour into a mission that is designed specifically to exploit the games rewards system does not stop the mission from being an exploit.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've been witholding my reply for a while now. Here goes..

The Foundry is a service. It's a service which support the game by adding content where Cryptic cannot. The foundry, as with every tool, isn't something that can be handled by everyone.

This means "we", the authors, actually adding an extra service to STO. That doesn't mean we are entitled to say what others can and cannot play.

As an author myself I'm more or less *meh* and *shrug* concerning this Admiral BoBo thing; we have a foundry search engine and spotlight listing to our disposal. If people do play your mission, it's because they want it, they do the effort nonetheless if it's visible in the list or not.

As a player I'm unable to see Admiral BoBo's mission as an exploit.. Why? There's a drop-cap installed, right? If this wasn't the case, sure; then it would certainly have been an exploit. This means it's actually intended design by Cryptic to cater both "sides".

As a software engineer myself I can say; everything will come with a cost.

This next question is not meant to be aggressive;
    Do you want to get rid of what you might consider "exploitive" missions? Then beware the double-edged sword; this will not only hurt your current foundry playerbase (today's grinders can be next week story-players) but it might even harm your own mission as well (like mission which uses social maps after previous weeks patch).
    Frankly, I think the real problem here is the Foundry elite who think they own the tool and need to control the content.

It's a game. Whatever is fun is great.

I've played this mission a number of times, and I still enjoy it.

This quote is such a signal; are we really "the elitarian" people? Are we actually portraying that? Do we actually want that?
    There can't be light without darkness, no good without bad.

Let's take a totally different point of view... 1985, Live aid; one of the greatest shows in the world. Even though it was for a good cause, these artists were still seen as an elite group. Take a good look at this particular clip.

This is what we have to do, again. We're here to service the players, not the other way around.

And this.. is my $0.02 .
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bazag wrote: »
    I do have a very specific problem, however, with how some particular missions are structured. Cheating the system to get more currency than the devs intended. Whether that's dilithium or EC. It's still an exploit and should be dealt with in some way.

I assume you dont mean Grinders most of those i see dont even qualify especialy with the recent change , you probably refer to those "Pizzaservice" and "Search 20 bottle things" there a tons of those in the review section and i see why that is a problem however that too should vanish with the time on static maps being excluded now.

About the so called exploits i dont see any exploiting in those grinders enemies arent passive they fight back now, and there is the lootcap to prevent excessive use, i cant see anything that falls under that definition am I missing something?

In terms of rewards my personal opinion here is, why dilithium? The one currency everyone never has enough of...they should go back to fleet marks as they are less enticing.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Except that's like telling all the non-Fleet players that they're not worth rewarding for playing Foundry missions. Everybody, to some extent, wants and needs dilithium, that's what makes it a reward. To a lot of non-Fleet players, Fleet Marks are just something that pile up that they don't use and have no way of exchanging for something they can use.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not to Hi jack this post but another great mission that has fallen to the waste side is the new Romulus assistance mission in the foundry. This mission was not a two second clickie mission it was made to run along side your sub missions for rom marks. There was no way of completing that mission in under eight minutes but it got canned as well.

The mission was great because it made up for the time spent doing those god awefull sub missions to get marks it was nice knowing after you got your marks you got a little dillithium to boot.

I agree with crypitic's failsafe approach to end the exploit but I do ask them to look at this mission and remove the red flag it was not an exploit mission!!
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cincyman39 wrote: »
    Not to Hi jack this post but another great mission that has fallen to the waste side is the new Romulus assistance mission in the foundry. This mission was not a two second clickie mission it was made to run along side your sub missions for rom marks. There was no way of completing that mission in under eight minutes but it got canned as well.

The mission was great because it made up for the time spent doing those god awefull sub missions to get marks it was nice knowing after you got your marks you got a little dillithium to boot.

I agree with crypitic's failsafe approach to end the exploit but I do ask them to look at this mission and remove the red flag it was not an exploit mission!!

They put a blanket over all social zones so unfortunately some legitimate missions (depending on your definition!!!) were affected as well. It's also an automatic thing so its not like some poor intern at Cryptic went through every single mission and flipped some magic switch.

On a somewhat related note I was planning on making a mission that only takes place in social zones but I guess that isn't possible anymore :(
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Frankly considering that several months back, people were making and using chained 40-50 one click missions to get millions in of dilithium in 1-3 days, and flooded the di exchange nearly crashing the in game economy, pardon me if I don't exactly see the Admiral bobo mission as the evil boogey man that will end the game as we know. Put on thy big boy/girl pants everyone and move along :cool:
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Except that's like telling all the non-Fleet players that they're not worth rewarding for playing Foundry missions. Everybody, to some extent, wants and needs dilithium, that's what makes it a reward. To a lot of non-Fleet players, Fleet Marks are just something that pile up that they don't use and have no way of exchanging for something they can use.

Good point i keep forgeting that there are people who prefer to play fleetless, still a possibility arround that would be to add an exchange npc that trades the fleetmarks for EC or Reputation marks or whatever.
  • Options
    admiralmurphy1admiralmurphy1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's the thing, BoBo isn't the heart of the issue, even though I hate on it all the time and make jokes about it for fun. It's the highest exploit (or grinder if you really want to argue it) on the top rated list. (though there might be one higher than it) Now really do look at the list and this mission. If someone can argue why this mission is number 4 out of all missions in the foundry other than quick easy rewards, please explain it to me. There a tons of hilarious missions that are buried in the foundry that don't have easy rewards, so I doubt its just the humor that has this mission above hundreds and thousands of missions in STO. Granted this exploit isn't like the dilithium earlier, but it does go to show how ignored the foundry is from Crytpic as its been a mission at the top for a year almost now.

Now here's the core of the issue. It comes down to two things, the rating system, and the search system. There are many grinders and exploits at the top of search list. Why? Well because the rating system in the game sucks. It's not about quality, its about enjoyment. If someone likes a mission, in most cases they will 5 star. If they don't like it, 1 star. If they don't care it use to be 3 stars before you had to pick a rating. With exploits and grinders, the only people playing them and those seeking them out for rewards. What's to hate about them if you want rewards and get them, so they get so many five stars to push to the top of the list. With other quality mission with work put into them, its reviews get a bit more complicated as those people will actually be looking for aspects other than fast rewards in most cases. So this breaks off into the other situation we have where a vague 5 star rating system doesn't cut it. People each have their own unique way of picking their star rating, most picking 5 if they just enjoyed it in the same way. It's obvious there's a problem with the rating system, as when reviewing missions myself and recording the star rating of said missions, they are always around 4.1 in the star rating. All of it evens out so really in the end the rating system doesn't matter in game.

Then we have the search that in all honestly does fix a lot of the current issues with the foundry as a whole. This is another issue Cryptic has ignored for almost a year. I noticed plays for my missions dropped quite a bit last December and have been at a standstill ever since. I heard other authors had the same issue too as well. Plays for foundry missions have gone down quite a bit since the beginning of the year. You could blame it on spotlight missions getting all of the attention, but the reason I believe many missions don't get played is because of the crappy search system. It isn't even because we don't have search tags but because of this 50 mission cap or whatever it is. If someone knows exactly when that came into play I would like to know, but I'm thinking drops in plays are because of this change. For anyone looking of a mission outside the spotlights, they will only see 50 missions on these search lists with no way of bringing up more missions unless they search for something in the search box. At that point they have to know what to search for. This is a major flaw in the search that has caused so many great missions to be buried. And then we've got on top of that a majority of people not knowing about the foundry because of how poorly it is integrated in this game unlike Neverwinter. It's pretty hidden in STO with no attention drawn to it like Neverwinter which you can accidentally run into it.

In the end, the thing people should be angry about is the search Cryptic has left unfixed for so long, and people need to continue to tell Cryptic to fix this so that they don't ignore this issue. If this isn't one of the fixes for the Foundry in this update they hinted at in 6 months or so, I'll be extremely disappointed and I'm sure many others will too...
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes the problem is the foundry search engine!!!!

It made the title of my foundry mission ironic.....
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I remember back when people would play the Breen missions over and over just so that they could sell the Breen space set repeatedly.....

It doesn't matter what missions are in the game, people will grind because they want stuff.

This. At the end of the day, this.
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I assume you dont mean Grinders most of those i see dont even qualify especialy with the recent change , you probably refer to those "Pizzaservice" and "Search 20 bottle things" there a tons of those in the review section and i see why that is a problem however that too should vanish with the time on static maps being excluded now.

About the so called exploits i dont see any exploiting in those grinders enemies arent passive they fight back now, and there is the lootcap to prevent excessive use, i cant see anything that falls under that definition am I missing something?

In terms of rewards my personal opinion here is, why dilithium? The one currency everyone never has enough of...they should go back to fleet marks as they are less enticing.

It depends on the grinder...

Utilising a certain collection of foundry features and certain settings it is possible to set up a foundry mission so that player has to literally do nothing. Their ships spew out fire out automatically, the ships you are fighting are severely gimped for their defense. As a result the NPCs are killed quickly without basically any input from the players. This is certainly an exploit.

Other grinders, such as BoBo at least require the player to be active in the process and as such this makes them straddle the line so much as exploits are concerned. Yet still the other basic elements of the exploit grinders are there. Gimping enemy NPCs so they are easy to kill to more efficiently get the elite loot they drop.

Other grinders, you have to do the normal amount of work to destroy ship and get the appropriate rewards for your work. These aren't my particular thing but these are perfectly fine and I'm quite happy for people who enjoy these missions to play them.
  • Options
    werx138werx138 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Alcohol is technically a poison. Some people even prefer such a poisoned drink over the alternatives. It can also be fun & enjoyable if it is used in moderation.