test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Human Weapons in game.

ussdanubeussdanube Member Posts: 105 Arc User
Hi, I was wondering weather any Earth Melee weapons like the Katana, the Samurai, the Kilij, the tulwar and/or other swords will eventually appear in game? maybe as a promotion or anniversary event. i'd even pay for these off the c store.
Post edited by ussdanube on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would love it... the Samurai... the special event can be titled "Oh my" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

You want a costume that turns you into a small asian with a plastic rapier? :D
    edited October 2013
    Sure why not as long as the emote "Oh my" is enabled when you buy it.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    edited October 2013
    tis a beauty indeed
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I want one of these classical beauties on my captain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uncrossed_gladius.jpg
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I wasn't even aware that the samurai was even a sword!!! But it would be nifty to have other melee weapons!!!
      tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I would love to have at least one Romulan hand weapon in the game, especially since the christmas event is coming up.
      New home of the Romulan Republic.
      I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
      I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
      I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Call me boring, but I prefer to keep my enemy as far away from me as possible. Plus I can engage multiple targets simultaneously with my grenades, wide beam pistol, and synchronic proton distortion assault rifle. Try that with a sword.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      edited October 2013
      I can slap multiple people at once...
      edited October 2013
      I can slap multiple people at once...

Now that is a feat of pure genius!!! :cool:

• seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      starswordc wrote: »
      Call me boring, but I prefer to keep my enemy as far away from me as possible. Plus I can engage multiple targets simultaneously with my grenades, wide beam pistol, and synchronic proton distortion assault rifle. Try that with a sword.

Among other reasons, melee weapons bypass shields, cannot be adapted to, and most armors do not have much physical resistance. Melee weapons are physical damage rather than kinetic.
      New home of the Romulan Republic.
      I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
      I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
      I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
    • ussdanubeussdanube Member Posts: 105 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I just thought that considering we have the Klingon Bat'Leth, the Vulcan Lirpa, the Nausiccan tegolar and the Tsunkastse falchion we could do with a weapon from our own planet. the human katana. I know i'm probably going to get moaned at for this but in star trek (2009), Sulu had a Katana blade which folded out from a small hand object. Also would be a bonus for ground STF's.
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      seannewboy wrote: »
      Among other reasons, melee weapons bypass shields, cannot be adapted to, and most armors do not have much physical resistance. Melee weapons are physical damage rather than kinetic.

I get all that, it's just not my style. I'm fine with other people liking it.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      ussdanube wrote: »
      I just thought that considering we have the Klingon Bat'Leth, the Vulcan Lirpa, the Nausiccan tegolar and the Tsunkastse falchion we could do with a weapon from our own planet. the human katana. I know i'm probably going to get moaned at for this but in star trek (2009), Sulu had a Katana blade which folded out from a small hand object. Also would be a bonus for ground STF's.

The Katana isn't really a good choice. It's inherently fragile compared to other swords throughout history, and it's a weapon of skill.

There are better choices, such as the European broadsword or Chinese Dao.
    • blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      If STO goes all melee then do it right! KDF Version
      edited October 2013
      The Katana isn't really a good choice. It's inherently fragile compared to other swords throughout history, and it's a weapon of skill.

There are better choices, such as the European broadsword or Chinese Dao.

Really, than you need see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo

• rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      Klingon Mek'leth and D'k tahg should be added too!
    • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I want a sharp stick. Stabby stabby! :D
      STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
      I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
    • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      this seems off the wall but I wanna see Escrima sticks so I can pummel the hell out of enemies.
    • salsad00msalsad00m Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I'd love to see a few more melee weapons, just because they really are a bit dull to see everyone trooping around with the same ones.

But please, not the Katana. Its such a massive cliche. Earth produced an incredible array of effective weapons during its history and the tired, old Katana has been some massively overdone.

Also, to be technical here. One of the features that made katana's such fine weapons back in their day was their quality. Here, in the future, all the weapons would be made to fine quality such as this. Katana's hardly had the market cornered on superbly made weapons either -- many of the fencing swords of various designs where made to incredibly high standards as well.

I'd like to see something a little bit different, some kind of axe or something more exotic like a morning star would be neat to see.

Say NO to ninja swords.
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      edited October 2013
      I'd be happy with the classic Roman Gladius, you can chop and slash with it, but using it in a stabbing motion is the most effective. :D
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
        edited October 2013
        salsad00m wrote: »
        I'd love to see a few more melee weapons, just because they really are a bit dull to see everyone trooping around with the same ones.

But please, not the Katana. Its such a massive cliche. Earth produced an incredible array of effective weapons during its history and the tired, old Katana has been some massively overdone.

Also, to be technical here. One of the features that made katana's such fine weapons back in their day was their quality. Here, in the future, all the weapons would be made to fine quality such as this. Katana's hardly had the market cornered on superbly made weapons either -- many of the fencing swords of various designs where made to incredibly high standards as well.

I'd like to see something a little bit different, some kind of axe or something more exotic like a morning star would be neat to see.

Say NO to ninja swords.

Well considering the Discovery, history channel and even national geographic dubbed it the World's greatest sword says something for it.

edited October 2013
        I'd just be happy to see ANY Human Melee weapon in game. they're is a massively large selection to choose from. Although I doubt seeing any roman blades in the game classed as a human blade. They would more likely class it as a Romulan blade.
        edited October 2013
        Really I could go for just about any, because they were potentially deadly no matter what.

• allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        Give me my .50 cal Anti Material Rifle from New Vegas, then we'll talk.:D
        edited October 2013
        Actually thinking about projectile weapons what about the Tommy Gun? I think dstahl said something about it once but I can't quite remember.
      • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        Really, than you need see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo

From a television show with no information on the background aspects of the tests, quality of weapons, quality of armor (as someone who knows something about body armor, the examples were a joke), and age of the weapons. This program is meant more to entertain than inform, like many of those so-called weapon shows. In all likelyhood, they used replicas made from modern materials, since actual historical relics are considered priceless, both in terms of weapons and armor.

The Japanese Katana was a slicing weapon, with a parry consisting of a fast slapping motion against the "flat" of the blades. Despite the superiority of Japanese metallurgy over European in that time period, the type of parry methods for the broadsword would quickly dull and break a Katana over time. It was made with a different kind of fighting in mind.

The meteoric metals used in most Katanas, while strong and easy to sharpen from the outset, were actually inferior in terms of long term durability in military use to the European and Chinese weapons, which were made of heavier "grade" of iron ores. And in the case of the broadsword, deliberately made heavier for heavy combat use by people of various skill, as opposed to the Katana.

In terms of production, the Katana was a work of art, requiring a master craftsman to make it properly and durable enough to meet a nobleman's needs. Making a Katana was a lengthy affair compared to most other swords. It was a weapon of skill that required skilled labor to make (in modern parlance). The broadsword could be made strong and sturdy by a half-way competent blacksmith, and the average peasant could become proficient in it's use through drills. As opposed to the ritualistic combat techniques of the Katana, which took years to master.

All in all, the Katana, while one of the finest examples of swordcraft in history, at it's heart was a ritual weapon of skill and a symbol of status. But it was an elegant weapon, designed to kill with precision and speed. It wasn't a "generalist" combat weapon for the foot soldier.

The broadsword, on the other hand, was an easy to use weapon (by a newbie with a modest amount of drills and training, or by the highly skilled, experienced swordsman), was more flexible in terms of technique, and a better battlefield weapon in terms of durability and utility.

It's much like the P08 Luger and M1911 of the early 20th Century. The Luger was, and still is, a fine weapon. It was made with precision and high quality hand fitting by Germany's firearms industry, which was second to none. It was superior in terms of ergonomics and accuracy, and coveted by masters in pistolcraft. But in terms of battlefield reliability and durability, the mass produced American M1911 was better weapon and better suited to wartime production. It isn't a badge of office or a weapon for the elite. It's a down and dirty combat pistol, tougher than the Luger on the battlefield. Much like the broadsword versus the Katana.
      • viceroy12345viceroy12345 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
        edited October 2013
        I'd like some Romulan melee weapons. Not sure if one has ever been shown on screen.

Would also like the Jem'hader's weapons and one of those Andorian dueling weapons from Enterprise.