test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 - "Shut up and be happy with what we give you".

Comments

• lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well the problem that points out our OP is not whatever coincidence between our personal vision of what Star Trek is and Cryptic's vision may be, is that they're delivering dinosaurs when the community has been years asking for other stuff:

-Exploration revamp
    -Development of a good KDF faction
    -Actual PVP
    -Useful interiors
    -Customization
    -PVP Foundry maps
    -Hell, poker minigame!
    -Thousand etcetera

So they:

-Dinosaurs, shut up

I'm not mad at Cryptic, I still enjoy the game and I know the Season 8 is gonna be a laught, at least for a week or so... But if I took Star Trek Online minimum seriously, I'd be real mad.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am a Sci Fi Modler and spend $100's per month on Paint, Puddys, Sanders. Brushes, Thinner, Airbrush needles, Kits, on and on and on. So dont judge someone on how much they spend on thier hobby. I would be on top a tower with rifel if it was not for my hobby
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What I said was mean.

Enjoy your vacation from the game.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    Sure I have a right to judge what someone else spends their money on... I have every right to. I'm not going to stop them... but I have the right to make a judgement upon it.

No, you don't.
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lter wrote: »
    Well the problem that points out our OP is not whatever coincidence between our personal vision of what Star Trek is and Cryptic's vision may be, is that they're delivering dinosaurs when the community has been years asking for other stuff:

-Exploration revamp No thanks, boring
    -Development of a good KDF faction Star Trek was about humans mainly, the KDF were just a side story
    -Actual PVP Never did like PvP
    -Useful interiors Useful in what way? Your own personal ESD on your ship?
    -Customization Of what? A bit lacking in any actual detail there, after all, you could mean you want to customise dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads..
    -PVP Foundry maps There's that boring PvP again
    -Hell, poker minigame! Shish no, more than enough gambling in game already
    -Thousand etcetera

So they:

-Dinosaurs, shut up

I'm not mad at Cryptic, I still enjoy the game and I know the Season 8 is gonna be a laught, at least for a week or so... But if I took Star Trek Online minimum seriously, I'd be real mad.

My point here isn't that you don't have a right to want these things, it's that just because you want them doesn't mean that everybody else does. Too many people on these forums think that because they and a few others post something it must be what everybody wants.

What do I want? More PvE content, especially with more of a challenge. I don't care what faction gets it overly. Oh look, that's what they're adding with season 8...

Ok, the devs aren't perfect, heck so many bugs that need fixing.... However 100 (it's actually a far smaller number than this I'm sure, but been generous with my guestimate) people out of the 1000s that play STO is actually a pretty small minority group, so please stop making the mistake of thinking that a vocal minority in someway represent all of us who play, you don't (not just you, but also the others who keeping posting as if they somehow represent the voice of the "community"). Shouting louder doesn't make your opinion more important either.

Regards
  • craigrodencraigroden Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    As far as thinking that your numerous transactions means you have a say over the rest of us, then you are mistaken. You have as much of a say as the rest of us. Cryptic and PWE are likely grateful for your patronage, but won't change the game just because someone spent thousands of dollars on it. If you want a say in their business, then there are other ways like get a job with Cryptic, become a Cryptic/PWE shareholder, or buying Cryptic.

I'm not saying that my opinion is more or less significant than any other gamer. Regardless of how much they spend on a game. The history of these, and other forums are absolutely brimming full of repetitive gamer requests for things like Modernization of the Klingon faction (I use this as an example because I've personally requested it many times).

Same requests over and over. Never delivered on. There are gamer forums dedicated to tracking the conflicting statements of Dan Stahl and his dev team regarding Klingon faction development and multiple other issues.

Here's an example: http://sto.gamepedia.com/User:Peregrine_Falcon

I do have a soft spot in my heart for what STO used to be. Many of us are frustrated with what it's becoming. As is predictable, many of us will likely leave STO for Eve Online. We'd really like to see the Cryptic team turn things around, respond to their gamers - truthfully, and make STO the great game that it could be again.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This post reads like exactly what's wrong with American politics.

Some high roller thinks he's paid enough to just have his demands and goals somehow override others'.

Go throw your wallet weight around elsewhere, where having the most money to spend equals winning. Maybe somewhere like ebay. I won't be denied something new in a game that's entirely grind based because you bought a few ships and don't like where you'll have the option of flying them for the next 4 months. Better luck next season. Sheesh.

Yikes, I think you've missed the OP's point, overriding demands and goals was never said. But you sure were sure quick to hurl insults in OP's direction. Perhaps you are right...this is why US politics are broken.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    People aren't saying that the devs are forced to do what big spenders want, but big spenders are free to not spend as much. Nothing wrong with the OP saying what he used to spend and why he won't be spending like that anymore.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    My point here isn't that you don't have a right to want these things, it's that just because you want them doesn't mean that everybody else does. Too many people on these forums think that because they and a few others post something it must be what everybody wants.

What do I want? More PvE content, especially with more of a challenge. I don't care what faction gets it overly. Oh look, that's what they're adding with season 8...

Ok, the devs aren't perfect, heck so many bugs that need fixing.... However 100 (it's actually a far smaller number than this I'm sure, but been generous with my guestimate) people out of the 1000s that play STO is actually a pretty small minority group, so please stop making the mistake of thinking that a vocal minority in someway represent all of us who play, you don't (not just you, but also the others who keeping posting as if they somehow represent the voice of the "community"). Shouting louder doesn't make your opinion more important either.

Regards

I don't necesarily want all the things I've listed, I've listed them cause they are all examples of things traditionally demanded by the comunity, and adressed by Cryptic and suposedly being worked on in some point lost... in the delta quadrant :D
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, you don't.

Yes, I do... whether you like it or not is immaterial... but I have a right to make a judgement on it.... and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You all forget one little thing...
    the Forum Users are usually only a small fraction of the overall number of gamers...
    Or to put it in a different way, I usually see the same 100-150 Users posting things on the Forum daily...

Apparently... the silent majority that just never stops playing and paying thinks its alright or they would have stopped paying already and PWE would have changed something...

And please...
    Look at the gorram history of Star Trek and Dinosaurs with Headlasers are the one thing that drove you over the edge? Really?

Edit:
    Oh and... what does your boasting about your payments have to do with all that other than boasting about you being a rich boy with a rich girl at your side, living in a rich-mans home? Huh?
    All I see is "I'm rich! Do what I want!", If you want something to "really" change, save up a little bit and buy Cryptic... problem solved... you can have your own little theme park just for yourself!

Ah... and please... your Interpretation of what Star Trek is or isn't, is just that... your interpretation so stop acting like your word should be law...
    Everyone has his or her own views on Star Trek and none is right or wrong...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »

And please...
    Look at the gorram history of Star Trek and Dinosaurs with Headlasers are the one thing that drove you over the edge? Really?

For me, it's one of the saner ideas I've seen in a Star Trek property. There's been so much oddball TRIBBLE in each of the shows, nothing'll phase me anymore.
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    You all forget one little thing...
    the Forum Users are usually only a small fraction of the overall number of gamers...
    Or to put it in a different way, I usually see the same 100-150 Users posting things on the Forum daily...

Apparently... the silent majority that just never stops playing and paying thinks its alright or they would have stopped paying already and PWE would have changed something...

And please...

You must have mis-read. I never said anything about Dinosaurs with Head-lazers, although I do think it's awfully dumb.

The point is that the Exec producer and dev team are not listening to their customer base. The gamers who play and contribute revenue to this game would like them to start listening. Listening, and delivering. The only way we can currently "make" Cryptic listen, is through the withholding of revenue from Cryptic.

The choice and ultimate future of STO lies with the Exec Producer and his devs. We've been asking for certain content for years. It will either be developed and delivered, or it wont. The current direction that I see the game headed in indicates that the gamer requests will continue to be ignored, and the devs will develop the game in whatever direction they want to.

That's their right. But it's our right to spend our money elsewhere.

@Marcus_Jellico
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can certainly understand where the OP is comming from. It does seem very often lately that Cryptic's target audience has changed, which unfortunately means that they're alienating customers like the OP, which if I dare deduct from his spending on STO and his claim of his yearly income, falls into the group of serious mature gamers that don't resent spending money at a hobby they happen to love. But mature gamers usually demand a little more gaming depth than your average arcade.

This game is called Star Trek. The OP probably expected to come here and play a game with some depth, with combat as well as exploration, dimplomacy and intrigue, discovering the final frontier. Instead he got 'Cadilacs & Dinosaurs'.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm looking forward to season 8. To see what they come up with. Granted its lot different from the Trek we see on TV or movies. However they stopped making shows and movies long time ago. (I don't count JJ Trek). So to keep something new, you have to come up with something. So I don't mind something new popping up. As long it follows what they have show in movies and shows. The Voth was there. So it would be neat to see what they come up with since Voyager found them.

Just have an open mind.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited October 2013
    Ive been on Tribble, and Season 8 looks TERRIBLE.

Who in the hell asked for dinosaurs? Nobody. Who wanted more even lamer and boring stfs and a whole additional rep grind? Nobody. Who needed yet another fed ship? Nobody. Klingons havent gotten anything new in years.. even though hundreds of people on these forums alone have been begging for just as long. Cryptic hasn't listened to customers in quite some time.. <with the odd occasion of fed whine>. I doubt they will start now; just in case though, K'Vort K'Vort K'Vort!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Vulcans look like elves

Romulans look like Drow

Gorn look like Draconians/Lizardmen

Orion Slave Girls look like Nymphs

Feresans look like werecats

:P

My DnD char: Marv the Unlucky wants in now.
  • angelus214angelus214 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm in the same fleet as the OP now I dont play klingon much so cant speak to his points there but I have to agree with the his statement regarding the the fact that we seem to be leaning more to a fantasy MMO than a SCI-FI or Star Trek MMO.

The latest proof of this for me is in the lastest dev blog http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1001931. Now I have no problem with the Voth or a dyson sphere but a T-rex and a raptor in body armour. It seems that the devs are taking cues from the recent Star Trek game where the gorn have different subsets of the species geared towards different aspects of combat.

To be honest i didnt much like that either. Even in TOS the gorn have evolved to a bipedal species with opposable thumbs that have a humanoid frame which in an evolutionary standard is very advantageous (look at the dominance we have achieved over our world). But in the Star Trek game suddenly their back to being wall crawling geckos with teeth and claws.

To me that was taking a highly developed reptilian bipedal species backwards from an evolutionary standpoint. Now the STO devs are introducing "dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!". Their point is "this is a game lets have some fun". Im all for fun but you have to be true to original creativity behind Star Trek if you're making a Star Trek game. I dont believe for one second gene roddenberry would have wanted unevolved dinosaurs with frickin laser beams on their heads (even if he had seen austin powers).

Also off the top of my head I cant think of any Star Trek series where an evolved species used beasts of burden as war machines or even a sub species as cannond fodder for war (dominion dont count Jem' Hadar arent a subspecies there a seperate species). Plus with their technological advancement (i like the jump/armour suit thingys) why would they need them. Had the voth been introduced as their own species with engineers and tacticals and scientists like the KDF or Romulans or Federation or Cardassian or any of the numerous other species in STO already I would of believed this to be a good addition as it is I have very serious reservations about the Voth.

and what their addition means for the game
    Untitled_1.jpg

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
    edited October 2013
    adon333 wrote: »
    Ive been on Tribble, and Season 8 looks TERRIBLE.

Who in the hell asked for dinosaurs? Nobody. Who wanted more even lamer and boring stfs and a whole additional rep grind? Nobody. Who needed yet another fed ship? Nobody. Klingons havent gotten anything new in years.. even though hundreds of people on these forums alone have been begging for just as long. Cryptic hasn't listened to customers in quite some time.. <with the odd occasion of fed whine>. I doubt they will start now; just in case though, K'Vort K'Vort K'Vort!!!!

I Agree. The Klingon requests are a great example of players asking for something - for years - and not getting it. Instead, we've been given things we haven't asked for. Maybe great things. Maybe not. Either way, our requests have been consistently ignored, and the dev team has gone off in whatever way their fancy takes them.

The only way that I can think of to effect any change at all at Cryptic, and to get the Exec Producer / dev team to respond to player requests is to deprive Cryptic of revenue.
    Hate to say that, because I used to enjoy this little game and I hope that the game will be better in the future. All Dan Stahl has to do is to listen to his gamers. Deliver on what we want. Not on what he wants for us.

I don't think anything at Cryptic will change until the financials are impacted and Dan is directed to change the culture in his dev team from "I'll do what I want" to "I'll try to develop what the players want".

@Marcus_Jelico
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    craigroden wrote: »
    I Agree. The Klingon requests are a great example of players asking for something - for years - and not getting it. Instead, we've been given things we haven't asked for. Maybe great things. Maybe not. Either way, our requests have been consistently ignored, and the dev team has gone off in whatever way their fancy takes them.

The only way that I can think of to effect any change at all at Cryptic, and to get the Exec Producer / dev team to respond to player requests is to deprive Cryptic of revenue.
    Hate to say that, because I used to enjoy this little game and I hope that the game will be better in the future. All Dan Stahl has to do is to listen to his gamers. Deliver on what we want. Not on what he wants for us.

I don't think anything at Cryptic will change until the financials are impacted and Dan is directed to change the culture in his dev team from "I'll do what I want" to "I'll try to develop what the players want".

@Marcus_Jelico
    Yeah, unfortunately it seems you guys are still in the minority. sucks, but such is life....

And no, the "deprive of revenue" thing will get ignored because you're the minority and thus are a relatively small source of revenue.

And don't waste people's time by pointing at Peregrine's POS list. It's, at best, a distortion of the truth. What you want an example? It's simple, he takes all comments the devs made about possibly adding things as if they were ironclad promises. When do the devs make ironclad promises about anything? the only one I can think of is when they announced the release date for LoR. that's pretty much it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, unfortunately it seems you guys are still in the minority. sucks, but such is life....

And no, the "deprive of revenue" thing will get ignored because you're the minority and thus are a relatively small source of revenue.

And don't waste people's time by pointing at Peregrine's POS list. It's, at best, a distortion of the truth. What you want an example? It's simple, he takes all comments the devs made about possibly adding things as if they were ironclad promises. When do the devs make ironclad promises about anything? the only one I can think of is when they announced the release date for LoR. that's pretty much it.

Lol why dont you go and actually read Peregrine's list... Oh thats right your just a Fed player who cant stand Klingons... just stopped caring about anything you have to say about the Klingon faction now... Moving on....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited October 2013

@Marcus_Jelico

Cryptic dev team has one thing in common.. none of them give two rat craps out of a barrel for Star Trek. It shows in the decisions they make, the things they add and the directions they take the game in. Also, the majority of the money made from this game is not invested back into it.. it is pocketed. This greedy business model is yet another reason <if not the biggest reason> the game is run the way it is run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    That money could of gone to charity.

It could've been an used for an educational fund.
    edited October 2013
    adon333 wrote: »
    Lol why dont you go and actually read Peregrine's list... Oh thats right your just a Fed player who cant stand Klingons... just stopped caring about anything you have to say about the Klingon faction now... Moving on....
    Read that pile of garbage? Been there done that. I've been playing KDF since season 3. I KNOW how big a pile of TRIBBLE the KDF was back then. I'm personally embarrassed to play the same faction as people who whine about how the KDF doesn't have enough stuff. That USED TO be the case, not anymore. Yes it's true that Feds get more toys, and Romulans(arguably) get better toys, big fat hairy deal......

And, no, the devs do NOT hate star trek.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    It could've been an used for an educational fund.

It could have been used for Hookers and Meth.
    It could have been used in an effort to bring about World peace.
    It could have been used in a humanitarian way.

But it wasn't. It was used for my entertainment.

Yawn.

It's a part of my disposable income, and I'll spend my post-savings disposable income in any way I please.

Again, diverting focus off topic and onto my income doesn't change the facts or topic of the post.
    edited October 2013
    It could have been used for Hookers and Meth.
    It could have been used in an effort to bring about World peace.
    It could have been used in a humanitarian way.

But it wasn't. It was used for my entertainment.

Yawn.

It's a part of my disposable income, and I'll spend my post-savings disposable income in any way I please.

Again, diverting focus off topic and onto my income doesn't change the facts or topic of the post.

Sorry for tone.
    edited October 2013
    Read that pile of garbage? Been there done that. I've been playing KDF since season 3. I KNOW how big a pile of TRIBBLE the KDF was back then. I'm personally embarrassed to play the same faction as people who whine about how the KDF doesn't have enough stuff. That USED TO be the case, not anymore. Yes it's true that Feds get more toys, and Romulans(arguably) get better toys, big fat hairy deal......

And, no, the devs do NOT hate star trek.

Spoken like a sock bran-puppet.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sorry for tone.

No need to be sorry about it. If a person has money to burn, then they can spend it in any way they want. The problem is when people don't have money to burn and spend it on frivolous pursuits like buying a bunch of pixels.

My only problem is when people say that since I contributed a ton more to the game, than you, then I should have more of a say in how the game works than you. Not sure if that is what you were saying, but listing thousands of dollars in transactions while asking for something specific needs to be changed certainly implies that.
    edited October 2013
    Spoken like a sock bran-puppet.
    Seriously? you actually to have credibility when you dismiss people who disagree with you as sockpuppets?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    People often say "the players want..." and actually mean "me and my close circle of associates want..."

A lot of folks have been asking about a space adventure zone for ages, myself included, and to place it inside a dyson sphere with an actual environment to explore beats making it an empty space map with invisible walls and some asteroids by -miles-.
    Same with the revised Fed tutorial. It's in bad need of modernisation, especially since these missions will play a huge roll in motivating players to stay with the game after the first hours of gameplay.

So I doubt the "not giving players what they want" comment applies to season 8.

Regarding other stuff, I'm an avid klingon player myself, 3 of my chars are klingon with only one fed, after all. And Yes, I want more ships, want to be able to customise them, want more klingon specific story content (though the foundry does deliver nicely in that regard) and want some of the ******n bugs fixed.

The problem is, I'm in the minority. Most players, especially most paying players, play Federation only, which means the most demand is for new federation content. Klingon content is unfortunatly only what -some- of the players want.

It sucks, It's unfair towards Klingon players, and breeds the resentment towards the fed and now romulan side we see every day in the forum. But we can't blame the devs, who often even work in their free time on klingon content, for it. The ones deciding where the money goes are to blame in that regard, and unfortunately they only care about what gets them more money in return, they have to, jobs depend on it.

Regarding the money spend, we don't know his financial situation so I'm honestly not going to judge. If I'd make enough money that spending 100 euro a month on entertainment wouldn't hurt me I might put it into games as well, some even into this one, and might still have enough left to support a charity and live a good life.
    Still, even being a huge spender does not mean your opinion is any more important then anyone else's.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!